AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Interesting comment!

I noticed you lumped Spiderfang Grots in with the Greenskinz--what's your reasoning for that? I've only ever seen Spiderfang lumped into Moonclan. (I say with fear, having 1500 points of Spiderfang...) 

He lumped them in with Bonesplitters, not generic Greenskinz

Bonesplitters and Spiderfang both have tribal/savage themes, both have face/body paint, bone armor / weapons.  So the aesthetic fits. 
On another side, Moonclan and Spiderfang are both grots, and they both have insect theme. IMO it's not stronger than the Bonesplitter fit, maybe not even as strong. 

It more if GW want to merge them or not in the end, it could be that they want to keep Grot and Orruk armies separated, have a lot distinct mono armies for destruction like with Order, or are simply ok with having model lavish around until they wanting to work on them.

Back to the Moonclan release,  I predict it may actually be the Christmas special this year where it show it off during the holidays and release in January.

since new models are coming, I think at minimum it a release size similar to DoK, though I do hope it a bigger release. 

hopefully there at least a named characters or two also.

What's everyone's priority list for new moonclan kits? Here's mine:

1. $100 behemoth kit that hopefully makes a couple of different warscrolls
2. Flying squigs
3. Squig Calvary
4. Squig infantry
4. New bigger heroes (heroes that stand out from the infantry), maybe a boss/shaman on squig kit where you get 2 heroes, 1 goes on foot. 
5. New trolls? 
6. Something brand new. I'd put this higher priority but i don't have any idea what this is. The behemoth kit could be something brand new but a non-hero unit would be cool too. 

How many kits are reasonable to expect? Looking at some historical battletome + model updates:
 BoC - 0 (ouch)
 DoK - 3
 LoN - 0 (ouch)
 Nurgle - 7 (only 3 of these are MPP kits, the other 4 are monopose heroes) 
 Tzeench got 9!
 Sylvaneth got 5

Note that you don't really want a soup tome based on previous trends. 

I think 3-5 is a reasonable hope based on how old a lot of moonclan stuff is. 

4 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

What's everyone's priority list for new moonclan kits? Here's mine:

1. $100 behemoth kit that hopefully makes a couple of different warscrolls
2. Flying squigs
3. Squig Calvary
4. Squig infantry
4. New bigger heroes (heroes that stand out from the infantry), maybe a boss/shaman on squig kit where you get 2 heroes, 1 goes on foot. 
5. New trolls? 
6. Something brand new. I'd put this higher priority but i don't have any idea what this is. The behemoth kit could be something brand new but a non-hero unit would be cool too. 

1. plastic Squigs/ Squig hopper or Handler dual kits

2. Plastic Grot Heroes and named Characters

3. Giant squig Calvary (or Giant Flying squig Calvary)

4. Behemoth centerpiece kit 

5. New Trolls and Troll hero

6. New type of grot infantry units 

7. New Squiggly beast

I  predict or hope that there maybe a fair amount of dual kits like where you can have a Shaman or Warboss on a Cave squig and the other on foot (like the Magmadroth kit) considering how small goblins are plastic wise.

Hey guys.

i want to start pure moonclan grots. And for the first games ill go for 1k points. My current list is something like:

both Shamans

Warboss with Squig-Pet

2x40 Grots and 6 Fanatics

now my questions: which allegiance bonus do i get? Just destruction? Where can i find rules for that? And which trait / artifact would you prefer for my warlord? And which of my leaders is the best warlord? 

Hope someone can help me :D 

thank you :)

2 hours ago, Warboss Micha said:

Hey guys.

i want to start pure moonclan grots. And for the first games ill go for 1k points. My current list is something like:

both Shamans

Warboss with Squig-Pet

2x40 Grots and 6 Fanatics

now my questions: which allegiance bonus do i get? Just destruction? Where can i find rules for that? And which trait / artifact would you prefer for my warlord? And which of my leaders is the best warlord? 

Hope someone can help me :D

thank you :)

It is confirmed that moonclan, or a group containing moonclan, is the very next battletome, which likely is only 2-3 months away. New models are expected. So, if you can wait, it is probably worthwhile to do so.  In the mean time, get some basic grots and start painting! Whatever is in the book, for sure grots will be good to have!   

7 hours ago, sorokyl said:

It is confirmed that moonclan, or a group containing moonclan, is the very next battletome, which likely is only 2-3 months away. New models are expected. So, if you can wait, it is probably worthwhile to do so.  In the mean time, get some basic grots and start painting! Whatever is in the book, for sure grots will be good to have!   

Following in from this, how ‘safe’ do we think it is to buy standard Grots right now? Is there any chance of them doing new sculpts? I’m guessing no but wanna be sure before I dive in. 

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Following in from this, how ‘safe’ do we think it is to buy standard Grots right now? Is there any chance of them doing new sculpts? I’m guessing no but wanna be sure before I dive in. 

Standard grots are a very safe buy I would imagine. That goes for anything repackaged on rounds with AoS boxart (Mangler squig, fanatics). Best supporting evidence would be the Zarbag warband, GW wouldn't have released that style if they were planning a radical shift in design. Not to mention the grots and fanatics are plastic kits, so have much more life in them then say the cave squigs or squig hoppers.

I'm in the same position as you though, and I've decided to hold off purchases despite the evidence until its confirmed Moonclan is getting more then a book.

My optimistic bet though? Grots being similar to DoK, GW will keep the infantry and battleline, and build on the range with new supporting kits/ maybe a centre piece model that cranks the mushroomy, cave bug aspect to an 11. Makes a lot of sense since considering the similarities to DoK and the Warbringer releases we've already seen.

But then again, this is destruction were talking about. Until I see new kits/ confirmed goodies, I'm just going to assume they get a book and nothing else :P haha

1 minute ago, Shankelton said:

Standard grots are a very safe buy I would imagine. That goes for anything repackaged on rounds with AoS boxart (Mangler squig, fanatics). Best supporting evidence would be the Zarbag warband, GW wouldn't have released that style if they were planning a radical shift in design. Not to mention the grots and fanatics are plastic kits, so have much more life in them then say the cave squigs or squig hoppers.

I'm in the same position as you though, and I've decided to hold off purchases despite the evidence until its confirmed Moonclan is getting more then a book.

My optimistic bet though? Grots being similar to DoK, GW will keep the infantry and battleline, and build on the range with new supporting kits/ maybe a centre piece model that cranks the mushroomy, cave bug aspect to an 11. Makes a lot of sense since considering the similarities to DoK and the Warbringer releases we've already seen.

But then again, this is destruction were talking about. Until I see new kits/ confirmed goodies, I'm just going to assume they get a book and nothing else :P haha

Legendary, cheers. What’s the verdict on Grots with bows by the way? Are they worthwhile? And I’m assuming that the 2” melee profile is the better one in large units? Cheers. 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Legendary, cheers. What’s the verdict on Grots with bows by the way? Are they worthwhile? And I’m assuming that the 2” melee profile is the better one in large units? Cheers. 

Scroll back several posts for discussion on melee, actually 1" weapon is better because of the to hit. (unless you can buff to hit)

Bows are pretty bad, hopefully they get their own warscroll. 

I'm super curious about how they'll approach the bow grots in the new battletome. As of right now, the Gitmob Grots have relatively capable archers while Moonclan Grots somehow can't even point their bows in the right general direction! Must be all that fungus brew! :D

1 hour ago, Warboss Micha said:

Are Fanatics worth to Play? 100points for 3 seems pretty expensive, or am i wrong?

Absolutely worth it. They're one of the most flexible units in the game, and just bringing them means your opponent has to consider their presence, or fall victim to sneaky (but brutal) tricks :D

I run 2 separate units of 3 fanatics, both hidden in the same max sized Moonclan Grot unit, although that's a preference - you can spread them around your army quite easily. 

The reason I run 2x3 instead of 1x6, is so that I can sacrifice one of them to stop charges without wasting all my fanatic punching power, which will happen if you use them to stop a charge, since it's your opponent's turn, and they will simply attack the fanatics first. (mind that both fanatic units have to be revealed/played at the same time if you put multiple in the same unit)

tl;dr:

If you had to master just one thing about Moonclan, this is the unit to focus on ;)

10 hours ago, Shankelton said:

at Blood and Glory the panel confirm that there are new models for this release. Beside too much of the range is resin and metal at the moment to just release a book. 

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

at Blood and Glory the panel confirm that there are new models for this release. Beside too much of the range is resin and metal at the moment to just release a book. 

That's great to hear! Haven't seen the panel in its entirety so I must have missed that note. Agreed totally on the note of resin and metal, the range really shows its age/ doesn't fit with the AOS aesthetic. Glad GW agrees. 

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

I run 2 separate units of 3 fanatics, both hidden in the same max sized Moonclan Grot unit, although that's a preference - you can spread them around your army quite easily. 

The reason I run 2x3 instead of 1x6, is so that I can sacrifice one of them to stop charges without wasting all my fanatic punching power, which will happen if you use them to stop a charge, since it's your opponent's turn, and they will simply attack the fanatics first. (mind that both fanatic units have to be revealed/played at the same time if you put multiple in the same unit)

Sorry but this isn't legal! It has been updated long time ago, check the destruction commentary. 
There is no such thing as 2 units of 3 in the same moonclan pack.

14 minutes ago, Xoledas said:

Sorry but this isn't legal! It has been updated long time ago, check the destruction commentary. 
There is no such thing as 2 units of 3 in the same moonclan pack.

Mind quoting that? I just re-checked the designer's commentary, and it certainly did not say you couldn't do that, no ?

Not that it matters all that much, since Zarbag's gits will provide me with a sacrificial fanatic anyway, allowing me to go 1x6 instead, which is the plan - but it's good to know what's what, so clarification would be much appreciated :)

"Q: If I put more than one unit of Grot Fanatics in the same unit of Moonclan Grots, can I release them over the course of several different turns, or must they all be released at the same time? Must all of the Fanatics that are released at the same time be placed within 1" of the unit that is hiding them? A: They must all be released at the same time, and must all be placed within 1" of the unit that is hiding them."

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/age_of_sigmar_grand_alliance_destruction_designers_commentary_en.pdf

20 minutes ago, Xoledas said:

"Q: If I put more than one unit of Grot Fanatics in the same unit of Moonclan Grots, can I release them over the course of several different turns, or must they all be released at the same time? Must all of the Fanatics that are released at the same time be placed within 1" of the unit that is hiding them? A: They must all be released at the same time, and must all be placed within 1" of the unit that is hiding them."

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/age_of_sigmar_grand_alliance_destruction_designers_commentary_en.pdf

Uh. That doesn't disallow anything I said. I even mentioned the "all fanatic units must eject from the same unit at the same time" in my first post ? In no way is it not allowed to put multiple units of fanatics in a single unit of moonclan grots. I'm a bit confused how you reached the conclusion that it was so  ?

Thanks for the answers about my grots :D now im just waiting and hope for a cool release. But i have still my 1000 points and need some advice to have fun with them :) 

List: 

both shamans

Warboss with giant squig 

2x40 Grots + 2x3 Fanatics

which traits should i use for my warboss to maximize his damage? Some realm one‘s or the Destruction one? Should i switch 1 shaman for a endless spell?  A local 1k tournament for newbies is comming, thats why i ask :)

Archived