AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

I think one thing that hasn't really been brought up is the idea of Double/Triple Faction Keywords (or as I like to call it, Cross/Multi/Mixed Soup....still working on that phrase!).

Given how Death (Legions of Nagash can take half of Nighthaunt, and then theres the weird Soulblight topic) and Chaos (everything from Slaves to BoC to even Clan Pestilens can be taken in a different allegiance) has a lot of that going on, maybe Grots and other Destruction factions would as well?

Looking at the Ally system for destruction you can tell GW are intend on keeping the Greenskinz and Ogor forces separated and having clear distintion with the Grots and Orruk armies like having Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz not wanting to ally with any Grot forces, probably for all fluff reason which makes sense. kind of how Skaven can't ally in other Chaos forces unless it Clan Pestilens with Nurgle.

they could  have Greenskinz and Gitmob have the ability to gain keywords when they ally In there respect racial army they ally in(example Greenskinz gaining keyword Ironjawz when entering a Ironjawz army)  but I don't think GW wants to do anything with those two armies.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't mean that many cross allegiances keywords, but it would certainly open up the possibilities especially in terms of grots.

So Moonclan Focused book still has spiderfang and gitmob (or parts of gitmob like artillery) but that doesn't mean spiderfang and gitmob can't show up in other battletomes.

Legions of Nagash cracked the door and then Beasts of Chaos slammed it wide open, as far as cross-allegiance armies goes.  A grot book, where all of Grots have the Grot keyword and Grot is the Allegiance, but then there are different Allegiance Abilities(traits, artefacts, spells) between Moonclan vs. Spiderfang vs. Gitmob, and different battleline depending on who the general is.  That would be exactly the BoC model, and it is SO GOOD.

I think it only going to be mixed battalions really like Beasthammer, i honestly doubt that the moonclan is going to a soup book, since it was rumored to be a DoK style release. 

I still stand by my stance that Spiderfang will get there own release eventually like how ironjawz are to bonesplitterz and moonclan be separate from Spiderfang.

Gitmob I am not sure what there fulture going to be really, 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:09 PM, Congratz said:

However with grots prbly getting released soon :P what's your favorite skin colour and general colour scheme for shield and robe?
I have been thinking of doing dark red hoods with black robes. Skin tone i don't know if i like the classic green or the more pale green...
Thoughts? 

I'm doing mine with red hoods and yellow robes. Skin is waaagh! Flesh, ink the whole thing casandora yellow then do my drybrushing.

Gives a really nice more sickly green which hasn't strayed into nurgle.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:17 AM, FlatTooth said:

I would really rather it be a full moonclan book. I also hope it involves new models and no finecast repacking. My biggest disappointment with BoC is that there were no new models other than the (admittedly wonderful) herdstone.

There was a question at the B&G seminar asking if there would be new models and the answer was yes, that this will not be like the BoC release (in terms of models). So hopefully we'll some more fun!

8 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Legions of Nagash cracked the door and then Beasts of Chaos slammed it wide open, as far as cross-allegiance armies goes.  A grot book, where all of Grots have the Grot keyword and Grot is the Allegiance, but then there are different Allegiance Abilities(traits, artefacts, spells) between Moonclan vs. Spiderfang vs. Gitmob, and different battleline depending on who the general is.  That would be exactly the BoC model, and it is SO GOOD.

It would be great to see that!

I'd love to see that for Bonesplitterz, Ironjawz, and Greenskins has well. Then I could play all my Orruks together.

They very often appear in the fluff together already, this would just bring the rules into line with the stories.

1 hour ago, FlatTooth said:

Again my problem with legions and with BoC is that they were really good ways to use *old* models. I really hope moonclan get brought fully into AoS with new kits and an updated aesthetic. We’ll see though!

Nothing is wrong with the old spear/stabba/bow grot sculpts.  What needs updating is squigs, hoppers, herders, netters, and heroes.  The nightvault warband has proven that this is going to happen.  

Yeah there's no way the plastic kits are getting redone, especially not when they're already been reboxed.

They will get new kits but it will almost certainly be a combo of entirely new units (Flying Squigs, deployable mushroom terrain, endless spells, new heroes) and replacing the Finecast in the range.

New models will be exciting but I do hope spiderfang and gitmob are collapsed into the battletome. There is just so much battletome backlog bloat and so much work to do on the game if they don't do this those models are just going to rot for more years to come. I'd rather have everything with a fresh coat of rules and break them off later rather than any other way.

Instead of BoC I'd like to think of it as the new stormcast book with its chambers they are all 'grots'.

Personally I'm not expecting or hoping for one army book to address the ills of an entire GA. 

Destruction has been neglected for literally years on end, and all I'm hoping for is that the Moonclan book makes Moonclan strong and fun to play.

The next book and the next book can sort out the rest of the GA.

That said - I wouldn't be opposed to a Batallion that brings in Spiderfang :D

11 hours ago, Amradiel said:

Do you think that Skarsnik will return? 

I hope he comes back as the Fist of Mork like he sort of was in the Endtime.

Crakpot theory, would be he literally became Da Bad Moon that was his face in the trailer.

17 hours ago, mcbrain said:

Nothing is wrong with the old spear/stabba/bow grot sculpts.  What needs updating is squigs, hoppers, herders, netters, and heroes.  The nightvault warband has proven that this is going to happen.  

Yeah definitely! I got no problem with the skull pass era gobbos. They’re fun and great sculpts. I more meant that I don’t want a book that’s just all old models that don’t take advantage of the new and beautiful work they’re doing.  Especially considering how amazing the fungoid shaman and Zarbag’s gitz are! 

Im lucky that I have 10 centigors that are metal but would have been even happier to buy updated centigors if that makes sense. 

The Bad Moon symbol was a standard symbol for Gitmob as well as Moonclan; actually before Moonclan were discovered when there was only one type of goblin.  Many of my old metal Gitmob models have the Bad Moon on them, so I'm hoping they will find a place in the new battletome.  If they are I may even buy my first Moonclan models to add to them.  (Sadly, my Greenskins will probably languish on their square bases for a little while longer).  Whichever way it goes, I will end up buying the book anyway I expect. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been quietly waiting for Moonclan to drop since AoS started.  I bought the totem from the old Battle For Skull Pass set nearly two years ago  in anticipation of them arriving.  So bring it on!

I really hope they get some new models, because they really need them.  The BoC had a decent plastic range, but the old Night Goblins are still rocking near 20 year old metal minis.  The rank and file gobbos are fine (great even) but the characters, squigs and troggoths need updating.  Nightvault shows what they are capable of.  I love the new troggoth and squigs, and the 'dog handler' look of the new squig herder too.  At the very least, I'm sure that we'll get a new terrain piece and endless spells I'm sure.

About big soup ideas; I think that Greenskins, Gitmobs and Gutbusters could all be rolled up together into a big BoC style book.  Just as that book has Brayherds, Warherds and Thunderscorn, this book could have Gitmobs, Greenskins and Gutbusters.  Then of course we could have Ironjawz, Bonesplittas, Beastclaw Raiders, Firebellies (I think they could become a full faction), Moonclan and Spiderfang too.  And the troggoths and gargants can be spread around them all.

Honestly with the new bowgrots in zarbags I think the basic grits could do with an update akin to the wych aelf update. The mushroom head/arrows for example.

Honestly I wouldn't put gutbusters with moonclan, Imo the ogors really need to be combined LoN style alongside a few more models/units.

Equally the greener aspects of destruction could have a LoN style update alongside the moonclan release.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, Malakree said:

Imo it's going to be a clean way for them to discontinue the old "troggoths" and bring them into a more complete army.

It adds a strong thematic unit type which moonclan is currently lacking while also getting rid of one of the random extra tiny allegiances, which don't actually work, without killing them off or expanding them.

Destruction at the moment has 5 factions, ironjawz, bonesplitterz, gutbusters, moonclan and beastclaw. Everything else is filler rules for me models.

My guess, based on this, is that we will get a general grand alliance update over the next two years which merges or does away with those tiny factions. Predictions on results.

Moonclan (troggoths added)

Bonesplitterz (spiderfang added)

Ironjawz (with bits of greenskinz)

Skypirates (replacing gitmob and greenskinz)(maybe with gutbusters)

Gutbusters (with the random ogros)

Beastclaw

That only leaves the gargants spare and they work well as they are. We would then have 6 fleshed out allegiances which each has a distinctive them and style. Additionally it frees up GA design space for other things. 

Interesting comment!

I noticed you lumped Spiderfang Grots in with the Greenskinz--what's your reasoning for that? I've only ever seen Spiderfang lumped into Moonclan. (I say with fear, having 1500 points of Spiderfang...) 

Archived