AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Skaven were released in February and teased in November... 

Edit: Also all year 1 warbands were teased in September. I'm not trying to be a ****** just show that this isn't new or exciting and just par for the Underworlds release cycle.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a bunch of things about the troggoth model which say it's going to be moonclan.

1. New fungus Aesthetic which has been previously only associated with Moonclan
  2. Obvious visual and theme connection with the Fungoid Cave Shaman
  3. Barnacles on the staff perfectly mirror those found on the Fungoid Cave Shaman, his squig and the new Moonclan warband
  4. The nose/chin/mouth has had some subtle changes from the original troggoth face in order to bring it more inline with Moonclan faces.
  5. There are 3 small Moon jewellery pieces on the model, one from each ear and one from the belt.
  6. The Moon jewellery is exactly the same as the ones found on all the new Moonclan models
  7. A squig is part of the warband

It's pretty obvious that not only will troggoths become part of the Moonclan allegiance but that there will be a Troggoth hero in the Moonclan book.

22 minutes ago, Future said:

For sure wasn't arguing that just the release date.

I think it will probably be released sooner this year.

P1 was a trial/test run. They were rushed on the original game release and were still playtesting/dealing with balance issues.

P2 is coming into an established game, there is a much better understanding of what interactions there will be etc. Less uncertainty with regards to whether things will be broken.

All of that should lead to a much more stable release cycle.

I guess we will just disagree on that point. 4 releases a year is a stable cycle. If they released out of cycle it would cause a content draught later in the year. Also the competitive prize kits folllow the season release of warbands in terms of prize support so it is already stable.

20 minutes ago, cxiv said:

wanting to start some grots when I finish banging out my beastmen.

What would you guys reccomend for 1000pts since I have no clue about these little gits.

Just buy a fungoid cave shaman and 2-3 of boxes of grots to start with, build at least 1 as spears  (maybe all 3) , maybe there will be new stuff by the time you finish that.   The new Underworlds warband may be a good option too for 1k not sure. At least the models are cool. 

21 minutes ago, Congratz said:

In the articel they say something about a "Stalagsquig – the squig you never knew you wanted until now." Is that the weird stone thingy? Otherwise it looks great, can't wait to get my hands on them!Spiel2018Reveasl-Oct25-MollogsMob3xo.jpg

Woohoo so January release for moonclan then?! 

I'm so hyped for this warband it's unreal.

29 minutes ago, Congratz said:

In the articel they say something about a "Stalagsquig – the squig you never knew you wanted until now." Is that the weird stone thingy? Otherwise it looks great, can't wait to get my hands on them!Spiel2018Reveasl-Oct25-MollogsMob3xo.jpg

Every time I see new Moonclan models I lean further and further into starting an army of them when they get a full release, honestly if GW keeps this up my wallet is going to be taking a serious hit in the future. The designs for everything they've released for them so far look right up my alley. 

1 minute ago, Dirtnaps said:

Every time I see new Moonclan models I lean further and further into starting an army of them when they get a full release, honestly if GW keeps this up my wallet is going to be taking a serious hit in the future. The designs for everything they've released for them so far look right up my alley. 

I'm hoping that the troggoth theme is srs in the book, would love to have a more monstermash moonclan army.

Really cool to see "non typical" squigs.

I always loved the fluff of squigs being all sorts of creatures, including Hair Squigs and Buzzer Squigs. Almost a catch all term for animals that hang around greenskinz rather than specifically a bipedal round teeth monster.

As an old reference

1318988125119.jpg

17 minutes ago, novakai said:

I guess with broadening the scope of what a squiggly beast is, GW can pretty much can create whatever they want with them now

Like what Kenshin said, Squigs have always been incredibility broad in what they are. 

This video expands on the Squigs and their different types a bit more. Fun listen!

1 hour ago, CaptainSoup said:

Like what Kenshin said, Squigs have always been incredibility broad in what they are.

Yea it's essentially a fluff boomerang, coming up with the idea of all sorts of squigs in the beginning, then they mostly got weeded out, but now seem to be making a comeback!

Keep in mind the squig fluff I posted was quite a long time ago, back when there was even fluff about humans who allied themselves with 40k orks (or managed to get "promoted" beyond slave labor)! Some of which even enjoyed the more liberating freedom compared to the imperium and becoming trusted advisors (imo it should still be canon despite the lack of current fluff other than the Traitor general back in Armageddon)

Though if theres one thing I'm curious about is how many new moonclan grot (like grot models) kits there would be.

They're NOT going to replace the old kit (no model has been phased out in the entirety of AoS for new sculpts), but hopefully there will be easy ways to convert some of the models. Otherwise they're going to look rather plain compared to the more modern examples Shadespire been giving us.

13 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

They're NOT going to replace the old kit (no model has been phased out in the entirety of AoS for new sculpts), but hopefully there will be easy ways to convert some of the models. Otherwise they're going to look rather plain compared to the more modern examples Shadespire been giving us.

Didn’t they phase out the GUO and the Lord of change model when the made new sculpt for them? (as well as the beast of Nuegle)

49 minutes ago, michu said:

Yes, but that was old ugly metal models. Moonclan Grots are plastic and quite good looking. They won't replace them.

I Agree with this, I didn't know he was specifically mentioning the Moonclan grot kit, I was just stating that some old non-plastic models have already been phased out for new plastic one in AoS (example is the GUO).

I mean if they released Plastic Squig and Squig hoppers, I would think they would replace the metal ones they currently selling

Yea I meant plastic wise, doesn't matter if it was made back in 6th edition.

Poor Saurus Knights....

2 minutes ago, novakai said:

I mean if they released Plastic Squig and Squig hoppers, I would think they would replace the metal ones they currently selling

Given how Moonclan are suppose to be a "proper" release, hopefully.

Compared to BoC which was just a rulebook, so they still have to make do with the old finecast Centigors and Tuskgors....

Archived