AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

While I've been lurking for a while now, I'm finally starting to play AoS, what do you guys think about this list?

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Grot Shaman

Grot Warlord

2x60 moonclan grots with spears both banners and 9 nettas

40 moonclan  grots with  shortbows, full command and 6 nettas

2 spear chunks

Bonegrinder Giant (using the Heresy Mucklegeek giant)

Emerald Lifeswarm

So the plan is I'm not hoping to win as my opponent plays super competitively in other systems, so this is more to get to grips with the system. I've got just over 150 grot models as it stands, 12 fanatics and a load of heroes for them too.

I don't want to buy too much at the moment as I think a battletome is coming soon. I know squigs are a solid pick but I don't want to get the old models as I'm sure there will be plastics. 

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, novakai said:

I am just wondering, Should Fanatics have the ability to do damage when the charge or would that just jack their price up their price up or be too OP?

This is how Fanatics historically worked.  In fact, Age of Sigmar is the first time that I can ever recall that Fanatics can actually fight and be engaged in combat.  Previously they functioned more like highly destructive obstacles that pinballed around the board.  The closest Age of Sigmar parallel to classic Fanatics would be some of the endless spells.  The Fanatic rules varied slightly from edition to edition, but the main theme was that they popped out of goblin units when the enemy got too close, they moved random distances, in subsequent turns they moved in random directions, and they simply inflicted nasty damage on units they touched (friend or foe) and kept whirling their merry way in whatever direction they were going.

I would not mind seeing Fanatics gain an ability where if they successfully charge then each fanatic within 1" of the enemy inflicts an automatic mortal wound - or something similar.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I would not mind seeing Fanatics gain an ability where if they successfully charge then each fanatic within 1" of the enemy inflicts an automatic mortal wound - or something similar.

After a unit of Fanatics completes a charge roll a d6 for each Fanatic within 1" of an enemy model, on a 2+ all enemies within 1" of that model suffer d3 mortal wounds. On the roll of a 1 the unit of Fanatics takes a mortal wound.

I have a quick question which may be obvious to you (I'm very new to AoS!). In the GH2018, the minimum unit size for Moonclan Grots is 20. In their warscroll it says "A unit has 10 or more models".

Could I theoretically use a unit of just 10 models? And would it be possible for example to use a unit of 30 models (or do I need to use only multiple of 20)?

Appreciate your help.

25 minutes ago, Drizug said:

I have a quick question which may be obvious to you (I'm very new to AoS!). In the GH2018, the minimum unit size for Moonclan Grots is 20. In their warscroll it says "A unit has 10 or more models".

Could I theoretically use a unit of just 10 models? And would it be possible for example to use a unit of 30 models (or do I need to use only multiple of 20)?

Appreciate your help.

So when you're playing a matched play game if you want to field 20 grots you pay the price for 20. If you want to play 21 you pay the price for 40 because those are the points brackets.

In narrative play it's a lot more loose and general, play with whatever sizes you want.

1 hour ago, DrDemento said:

Hope for all but standard orruks and grots?    

Title could suggest a greenskinz battle tome a la Legions of Nagash?

I would imagine that greenskinz and gitmob would be the skeletons of our legions. No explicit bonuses but there as generic battleline/units. On the other hand if they did a beasts of chaos etc. Then they would be the ungor.

15 hours ago, Malakree said:

I would imagine that greenskinz and gitmob would be the skeletons of our legions. No explicit bonuses but there as generic battleline/units. On the other hand if they did a beasts of chaos etc. Then they would be the ungor.

It is very unlikely that basic greenskinz and gitmob will ever be expanded upon by GW.  Their appearance is too "generic" looking - too many other third party competitors out there with models that can pass for their GW counterparts.  

Age of Sigmar seems to be focusing their efforts on models that look uniquely GW in nature - presumably in an effort to protect their brand.  They either create all-new armies with a unique look (Kharadron Overlords for example) or expand on old armies that have a very unique aesthetic that is easy to recognize as GW in origin (Beasts of Chaos).  There are of course exceptions to this rule (the skeletons from LoN), but for the most part, that seems to be the direction GW is heading.

Anyhow, point being that Gitmob and Greenskins are, in my opinion, most likely to not going to receive new models or a battletome.  Out of all the old Destruction models/armies, I would expect Bonesplittas, Moonclan, Ironjawz, Gutbusters, and the spider grots to get some new stuff.

3 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Anyhow, point being that Gitmob and Greenskins are, in my opinion, most likely to not going to receive new models or a battletome.  Out of all the old Destruction models/armies, I would expect Bonesplittas, Moonclan, Ironjawz, Gutbusters, and the spider grots to get some new stuff.

That's exactly what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

They get reboxed to have round bases and that's it. Like skeletons and zombies have been. 

Yeah I'd be happy enough with that as the denouement. 

I agree that they are too generic to be pushed as a faction in their own right, but they could easily be units within a wider LON / BOC allegiance.  Things like Skeletons and Zombies are a good example - even more generic, lots of third party models out there, but they can still fill a roll as chaff (in fact I'd love to know how many Skeletons GW has sold in the past 6 months).

On 10/14/2018 at 3:00 AM, NazbitWeirdstabba said:

Anybody had a chance to use Zarbags Gitz in a game yet? How did they do/how did you use them?

I’m not sure how to fit them in to my 2k list but I used them in smaller games and expect to use them in a Firestorm campaign im playing in. They sat on an objective and tossed out a fanatic to defend a flank and stop a charge from a large monster. 

They seem pretty solid for the points and were able to deal with supporting on a flank well enough. I like having a few fanatics to stop charges and at their points they seem a valid choice if you can’t fit a full unit in and you have your battle line covered. 

The shaman has a “madcap shaman keyword”. I think all the shamans will be even better with a few new spells to cast.

overall I didn’t expect much and they didn’t disappoint. Not auto include to me, but solid. You can play up the surrounded spell to scare some people a little, but I wouldn’t knock yourself out trying to pull it off 

I honestly think that now is the time to shine with the moonclan. So Many of my games have been edged out on primary objectives by sheer volume of numbers (been playing a lot of Ironjawz). This is a problem that moonclan does not suffer for, in fact id argue that we have one of the better battleline units out there all things considered. 

Im gearing up my mushroom gitz and i am thinking around a core of 120 grots (2x60) and a unit of squigs. Ill have a few shamans (2 and a fungoid im thinking) and then a grot boss or two depending on points. This is where the list gets tricky, i am thinking i need punch....2 manglers and a colossal?....or maybe allied artillery? 

Are people actually getting good use out of their fanatics? Theory craft says ideally the small units whirl out and block charges, but if your going against something like deepstriking stormcast then you have to make around a 7-8 on dice to get there and stop them. (I'm sure there are shennagins that i am missing here...someone please enlighten me)

Are the big squigs good for anything besides a distraction?...seems like a lot of point to throw and they almost never get their points back...am i using them wrong?

Finally does anyone have a good resource for mushroom bits for basing and such?...I want to make a cave setting with shrooms all around (i think its going to be the route any future releases are gunna lean)

3 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

I honestly think that now is the time to shine with the moonclan. So Many of my games have been edged out on primary objectives by sheer volume of numbers (been playing a lot of Ironjawz). This is a problem that moonclan does not suffer for, in fact id argue that we have one of the better battleline units out there all things considered. 

Im gearing up my mushroom gitz and i am thinking around a core of 120 grots (2x60) and a unit of squigs. Ill have a few shamans (2 and a fungoid im thinking) and then a grot boss or two depending on points. This is where the list gets tricky, i am thinking i need punch....2 manglers and a colossal?....or maybe allied artillery? 

Are people actually getting good use out of their fanatics? Theory craft says ideally the small units whirl out and block charges, but if your going against something like deepstriking stormcast then you have to make around a 7-8 on dice to get there and stop them. (I'm sure there are shennagins that i am missing here...someone please enlighten me)

Are the big squigs good for anything besides a distraction?...seems like a lot of point to throw and they almost never get their points back...am i using them wrong?

Finally does anyone have a good resource for mushroom bits for basing and such?...I want to make a cave setting with shrooms all around (i think its going to be the route any future releases are gunna lean)

Battleforge. They are FANTASTIC.

giant-goblin-mushroom-and-toadstool-x20-pack-[2]-2933-p.jpg

6 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

The rumors of a battletome have paralyzed me lately, and I'm not sure there is any value in theory-crafting lists for the future and unit load outs any more until we see what changes are in store. Definitely excited however.

battletome rumours have me on hold a bit too, but going to try the new Shadespire warband in my mext AoS game.

Also not sure on current fanatics but can be great to disrupt charges - just not against Ironjawz usually because of the chain assaults when wiping out units.  Same thing with the colossal and manglers - can be great but bad matchup against the Ironjawz due to their damage boosts against monsters.

against jawz I also like big units of grot, and cave squig’s with their mortal wound output when fleeing (so need a biggish unit).

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

This bit had me confused for a minute - is it Bonesplitterz you're thinking of?

Oh, right, jawz not as good as spliiterz vs monsters, but Brutes reroll misses vs models with 4 or more wounds, and it’s also all their rending that cuts through our behemoths low saves followed by the multi damage weapons, oh, and foot of gork.  

I just play against jawz half the time and my big squigs have been murdered all kinds of ways before they kill their points worth.  I find I want to go after the ardboyz with two weapons to minimize the threat.

i really miss the old mystic shield. :( 

On 10/7/2018 at 12:44 AM, Skabnoze said:

This is how Fanatics historically worked.  In fact, Age of Sigmar is the first time that I can ever recall that Fanatics can actually fight and be engaged in combat.  Previously they functioned more like highly destructive obstacles that pinballed around the board.  The closest Age of Sigmar parallel to classic Fanatics would be some of the endless spells.  The Fanatic rules varied slightly from edition to edition, but the main theme was that they popped out of goblin units when the enemy got too close, they moved random distances, in subsequent turns they moved in random directions, and they simply inflicted nasty damage on units they touched (friend or foe) and kept whirling their merry way in whatever direction they were going.

Fanatics moving like endless spells (i.e potentially controlled by both players depending on who chose the first move in the battle round) is actually a pretty cool, thematic idea. This could be coupled with a rules change so that they inflict damage like some endless spells just by moving through units. That to me would balance them out and not require any extreme points increase. Plus makes them the potential threat to friend and foe they're supposed to be! 

Archived