AoS 2 - Moonclan Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

Are they unifying into a single army or do we think it will still have warherds/brayherd allegiances etc.

I'm not sure.  @LLV has been pretty accurate with his rumors and he has kept mentioning Moonclan and not just grots.  There was a rumor on BOLS that mentioned new plastic spider riders so that would possibly imply a grot soup sort of book.  But BOLS will print just about anything under the sun so I don't pay much attention to them at all.

I am inclined to think Moonclan will be it's own thing because it already has almost as many choices for units as some full battletomes do.  If they added a few heroes and reworked one or two resin units (cave squigs) into dual kits then it would be a sizable force in terms of variety.  That allegiance strikes me as something that GW could completely go crazy with by itself and they would probably want to keep it for that.  But, that does not mean that they could not also quickly drop a soup tome for other destruction mini factions.

I could be way off base, but that is the feeling that I get when looking at how GW has been developing factions recently.  If Moonclan is actually coming with new model kits, as the rumors imply and the Fungus Troll alludes, then I think it will be it's own battletome.  They have always been the most popular goblin faction as well, both within the studio and the playerbase, so if any grot allegiance gets it's own full book they seem like the most likely candidate.

But honestly, I am ok with any new Orc & Goblin battletome - whether it is a dedicated allegiance book or a soup-tome.  I'll take whatever attention they want to give.

EDIT:  That's what I get for only reading half a post (which was only a single sentence...).  In regards to Beasts of Chaos - they confirmed in the Warhammer Community article that it is a LoN style soup-tome.  

This Battletome deals with more than just the brayherds, it compiles many of the bestial creatures of Chaos into a single unholy tome including Bullgors, Dragon Ogors, Tzaangor and more besides.

Is what the community site says.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Congratz said:

So do you guys think we will have to wait sometime before our battletome comes out? (Cuz beast of chaos)

I think beasts of chaos will be a one or two week release.  It looks like the only new models will be the herdstone and the endless spells. I’m sure they will also get dice and warscroll cards.  But it looks like it is basically just a book release like Legions of Nagash.

Those sorts of releases seem partially meant to fill in slow release windows since GW likes to do weekly releases.  I don’t think anything had to move in order for this release to come out.

But it might indicate that a serious Age of Sigmar faction release with new models, such as Moonclan, is more of a November thing given that October has already been labeled as Orktober and seems like it will mainly be 40k Orks.  If not November then that probably means next year since GW typically does bundles and not new armies for the holiday season.

Well Beasts of Chaos is in September. There's Orktober coming up and Shadespire2 has already been announced. I don't think we'll likely see Moonclan until end of the year/beginning of next year.

I'd like to be completely wrong and have them show Moonclan off at NOVA.

I feel like Nova is mostly going to be a lot 40k reveals (maybe another Primarch or a new Ghaz), but I am optimistic that we aren't waiting until next year for a Moonclan release (November at the latest)

LLV did seem to think there was a shift in GW release schedule though and I feel like BoC and Moonclan may have swap places on it.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:06 AM, ChatBatFun said:

With the announcement of the moonclan troggoth, wouldn’t it be cool to see these guys riding giant squigs, as a super heavy cav unit.

@ChatBatFun What is this about a Moonclan Troggoth? I hadn't heard anything about that and I'd love to be able to send in the trolls with my Grots. 

I really can't wait for the moonclan to get a book. I've been enjoying the Ironjawz in the meantime, but they don't quite fill the whole in my heart where a zany Grot would fit. 

1 minute ago, Hankster said:

Don't forget Mushrooms! 

For the models sure, I'm not sure how a mushroom-centric battle trait would work.  Unless they made something along the lines of the old fluff where all Night Goblins were drunk on fungus brew when they went into combat.

8 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

For the models sure, I'm not sure how a mushroom-centric battle trait would work.  Unless they made something along the lines of the old fluff where all Night Goblins were drunk on fungus brew when they went into combat.

The mushroom based power buff for shamans is already good and very fluffy. I think it would be fun to see some sort of poison attack based on mushrooms. It could be something like an attack with specific weapon types that gave enemy -1 to hit in next combat or something. It would fit the fluff well and it would help Grots tarpit. Something explosive could be fun too, but the gobba already 'kinda does that...

2 minutes ago, Hankster said:

The mushroom based power buff for shamans is already good and very fluffy. I think it would be fun to see some sort of poison attack based on mushrooms. It could be something like an attack with specific weapon types that gave enemy -1 to hit in next combat or something. It would fit the fluff well and it would help Grots tarpit. Something explosive could be fun too, but the gobba already 'kinda does that...

I don't disagree.  I mentioned similar stuff a while back in this thread.

But for me, I would prefer that instead of allegiance abilities for that we got a new type of buffing/debuff character - and also spells.  I would like to see a fungus harvester type of character who has abilities that function similar to prayers.  They can use the prayer mechanics, but in this case it would represent the character giving different types of fungus or alchemical concoctions that he has made from harvested fungus to goblin units.  They could also add mechanics or abilities that debuff the enemy to represent him using the concoctions on enemies. 

I like the concept of a crazy old goblin that wanders the deep depths of the caves in search of fantastical fungus and then makes crazy and often dangerous concoctions out of it.  And given the generally large size of grot units I think it could also be fun if the abilities had a tendency to inflict some wounds on the unit as they are often somewhat poisonous.

Spell wise I’m sure the curse of the bad moon will come back, night shroud and one more?

interesting to see what will be endless and if we get our own lore.

I’m very interested to see how many new models will be introduced and what happens.

Im working on Grot numbers 160-180 now so here is hoping the basic Moonclan Grot isn’t replaced or made redundant by another unit 

20 minutes ago, Milandro said:

I’m very interested to see how many new models will be introduced and what happens.

Im working on Grot numbers 160-180 now so here is hoping the basic Moonclan Grot isn’t replaced or made redundant by another unit 

I doubt that they change the basic grot unit.  It is the one single Moonclan model that I would say has no need of a resculpt.  The rest of the units are mainly finecast and could benefit from the move to plastic where they could either be combined into one box (like cave squigs, herders, and Squig hoppers).  The fanatic set is passable, but it is also quite old and showing its age a bit.

There just seems like there would be little benefit to resculpting the grots unit.  They are a bunch of tiny guys in hooded robes so they look just fine in non-dynamic poses. Their effort could be much better spent on fun stuff like squigs.

Sorry to change the subject, i had my first game of Sigmar tonight and pure Moonclan. I loved every bit of it but i need some help with squigs. I dont feel like they really contributed at all, they either just died or if i was lucky died and caused some mortal wounds. How does everyone use these and what for? I love squigs but im at a loss completly. 

I ran a unit of 60 goblins (amazing!)

1 unit of 10 squigs(they just died to shooting) 

1 unit of 20(they just died and then wiped on battleshock)

I was playing Kharadron Overlords if that helps at 1000 point games. Played 2 games 

Thanks for the help! 

3 hours ago, Moony said:

Sorry to change the subject, i had my first game of Sigmar tonight and pure Moonclan. I loved every bit of it but i need some help with squigs. I dont feel like they really contributed at all, they either just died or if i was lucky died and caused some mortal wounds. How does everyone use these and what for? I love squigs but im at a loss completly. 

I ran a unit of 60 goblins (amazing!)

1 unit of 10 squigs(they just died to shooting) 

1 unit of 20(they just died and then wiped on battleshock)

I was playing Kharadron Overlords if that helps at 1000 point games. Played 2 games 

Thanks for the help! 

I prefer Grots (not because of tactics, i just like them)  so not alot of experience with squigs,    But i will say KO is probably just a bad matchup for squigs/moonclan if you can not get up the board without taking a round or two of shooting its going to hurt.

actually I feel I little less optimistic that the Moonclan release is going to happen this year now with all the new chaos releases and how clutter GW release schedule looks, Maybe November is the month they get release but it could easily be in February. :(

Archived