AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, novakai said:

Yeah his list was 20 point, so once he realize his list was illegal, he disqualify himself out of the tournament, apologize to the TO and ship his trophy back :(

How do you write a list that's illegal in the first place?

43 minutes ago, mcbrain said:

How do you write a list that's illegal in the first place?

Have Forgeworld do a rules update at an obscure timing that increases the price of one of your units without you realizing.

I beleive the update happend 3 weeks after aos 2 release.

Not that hard to miss. Also people wouldn't have thought that the hag would go up in points.

• Like 2

It was because he used the Azyr app to build his list, which is not fit for purpose.

FW points were not in there so he had to hand write the Hag on the bottom of his list, and put the old points down by mistake. 

I do not know the guy personally but I do believe it would be an easy mistake to make, since nobody podiumed anywhere in the world with the Hag under the old points (that I am aware of?), and all they did was make her warscroll worse, so it was a points hike out of the blue really and relatively easy to miss.

Also it would have been really, really easy to tweak his list to come in under points (he had Endless Spells he could juggle for example), so I don't think he would risk a disqualification in those circumstances to come in 10 points over.

If Azyr worked properly it would not have happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davros said:

Have Forgeworld do a rules update at an obscure timing that increases the price of one of your units without you realizing.

I beleive the update happend 3 weeks after aos 2 release.

Not that hard to miss. Also people wouldn't have thought that the hag would go up in points.

So basically what you're saying is his list was illegal because of an oversight on his part...blame whomever you want, but the points were out and available before the tournament...The forgeworld document was available at the beginning of July.

We are all human, mistakes happen. They guy did the right thing when he realised. No need to blow up about it.

Pretty sure even his opponents at the tournie would understand it was an oversight that he is sorry for. Most people in this hobby do it for fun and realise mistakes, rule errors happen at every level of play.

The difference is how people respond to their mistakes and the mistakea of others. If the giy said too bad so sad it is my win deal with it, it is the TO's fault that he didn't realise than your comment would be valid as there is no place for an attitude like that in this gaming community.

• Like 2

For sure, he is not blaming anyone but himself.  He's been the definition of grace about the whole thing from what I can see.

Anyway...let's see some Beasthammer lists?

Do you think the build could cope with the 2+ RR1s stuff (like a Stradrake for example)?  How would you deal with Rend -1 Damage 1 spam (e.g. DOK)?

• Like 1

I think beasthammer has a good spot in the metta at the moment.

Easiest way to get reliable to hit buff which both armies need.

I would build it a touch differently;

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
Butcher (140)
- Allies
Butcher (140)
- Allies
UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
-Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
-Gargant Hackers
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
BATTALIONS
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

I like the felexability of the couple of frost sabres add. You could drop tye spells and wizzards to go heavier on a skall, but i think i preffer the wizards.

Frostsabers are under appreciated considering they do better damage than mournfang point-for-point. It's too bad you only get 1x4 and 1x2 mournfang enjoying the hit buff. I do love me some butchers, and normally go for them, but since you have I'll go an alternative route.

Considering we've already spent so much on just buffs, this list tries to go all in on buff-absorbers instead. It's a shame you can't fit 2x6 gruntas in, so I pick up a hunter to hold onto the broken artefact and 4 sabers (could be 6 but I wanted a 3rd CP to start). Man, I wish we could ally Ironjawz as I'd add a warchanter so fast your head would spin (from the bone drums) - also, why can't we ally in Ironjawz when bcr are part of gordrakk's waagh and we have a battalion featuring them?

Anyway, list:

1784115722_beesthamma.png.b0055d8d76353f4bbae4f6b82553f4d0.png

GA: Destruction version (could make the fungoid general in exchange for fewer frost spear attacks. Also Hammerblade replaces punches and kicks of course):

Spoiler

destver.png.a0d35afd536932f72133a17e66f24009.png

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Let’s back off a bit and not crucify the guy for making a mistake that amounts to about less than 1% of the cost of a 2000 point list.  This is a game of plastic toy soldiers after all.

He made a mistake, honest enough. My question is, why was it not picked up by the event team in list checking?

6 hours ago, Davros said:

I think beasthammer has a good spot in the metta at the moment.

Easiest way to get reliable to hit buff which both armies need.

I would build it a touch differently;

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
Butcher (140)
- Allies
Butcher (140)
- Allies
UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
-Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
-Gargant Hackers
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BATTALIONS
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

I like the felexability of the couple of frost sabres add. You could drop tye spells and wizzards to go heavier on a skall, but i think i preffer the wizards.

Love the list!!

I am going to try this for my next battle

5 hours ago, Korvak said:

Question for you all: in a 1000 point game, would you rather have one pack of 4 Mournfangs, or two packs of 2

I'm thinking that one pack gives you more attacks in one go, but two packs gives you more flexibility. 

Depends if i'm running Huskard on stonehorn.

If yes deffinitly the 4 man unit, the ability to have them both fight first is huge.

List i would use:

Huskard on stonehorn

4 mournfang

Thundertusk beastriders

If i run a iceborn hunter and frost sabres, then yes the 4-6 man unit because that would be my main hammer unit.

Anything else and probs just 2x2

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Davros said:

Depends if i'm running Huskard on stonehorn.

If yes deffinitly the 4 man unit, the ability to have them both fight first is huge.

List i would use:

Huskard on stonehorn

4 mournfang

Thundertusk beastriders

If i run a iceborn hunter and frost sabres, then yes the 4-6 man unit because that would be my main hammer unit.

Anything else and probs just 2x2

The list I'm running is a Frostlord on Thundertusk, 4 Mournfangs, 6 Yhetees.

So what I couldn't decide was whether I needed to split them in to 2x 2 Mournfangs and 2x 3 Yhetees, or run them as a 4 and a 6.

41 minutes ago, GFulls said:

Has Thundertuck Beastriders taken a hit with AoS 2.0?  I am working out a Braggoths list.

Take my comments with a grain of salt since I haven’t played BCR in 2.0.  

That being said, my understanding is that Beastriders don’t take a hit per se, it’s just that the Huskard is significantly better for just 20 points more.  You lose the second ranged weapon and you only have half as many punches and kicks, but those punches hit on 3’s and the prayers really help, which leads me to my second point:

After what seems like a long time of kvetching about Thundertusks, it seems like people have finally learned that just doing 3 wounds to it starts dropping the effectiveness fast.  The healing from the Huskard (or even better, 2 huskards) helps mitigate this.

14 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Man, I wish we could ally Ironjawz as I'd add a warchanter so fast your head would spin (from the bone drums) - also, why can't we ally in Ironjawz when bcr are part of gordrakk's waagh and we have a battalion featuring them?

I'm curious about why?  Would it be to supplement the Gore Gruntas in a Braggoth's battalion?  Their +1 to hit buff is keyword to Ironjawz only so they won't really do much for Beastclaw Raiders. 

34 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I'm curious about why?  Would it be to supplement the Gore Gruntas in a Braggoth's battalion?  Their +1 to hit buff is keyword to Ironjawz only so they won't really do much for Beastclaw Raiders. 

Because that post was talking specifically about the beast hammer battalion. In any other situation allying in ironjawz wouldn't do much of course.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GFulls said:

Has Thundertuck Beastriders taken a hit with AoS 2.0?  I am working out a Braggoths list.

Huskards are still always worth it over beastriders since they have a chance at some minor healing.

Thundertusks in 2.0 (competitively):

Pros: Slightly cheaper, ignores Look Out Sir.

Cons: Their melee attacks suck. Don't benefit from look out sir, no more mystic shield. Running just one is a big liability and most opponents will be able to easily chart it either before you go or after your One Shot, essentially causing you to spend 360 points for 6mw once. Need to spam 3 before the healing is consistent but then that's most of your army right there and they are not at all cost-effective. If stuck in combat they have to shoot that unit. 

tldr: a very expensive one-trick glass cannon that has too much glass, but against an opponent without ranged/spells of any sort that is also not horde they can be good.

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts? In theory, Sabres guard hunter, Gruntas and Mournfangs move in, Brutes guard Butcher. Spells do their thing. 

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar 
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Trait: Famed Hunter 
- Artefact: Battered Talisman
Butcher (140)
- Allies

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers

Units
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Allies

Battalions
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 116

I can't see a reason to run anything other than the Ethereal Amulet on a Frostlord, are there any other contenders for useful artefacts? The Thermalrider Cloak is tempting to guarantee the first-turn charge, but the 3+ invulnerable save is really hard to give up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kadeton said:

I can't see a reason to run anything other than the Ethereal Amulet on a Frostlord, are there any other contenders for useful artefacts? The Thermalrider Cloak is tempting to guarantee the first-turn charge, but the 3+ invulnerable save is really hard to give up.

I quite like the idea of the realm artefact that gives +4" move and fly, just for the hilarious mental image of a flying Thundertusk ?

• Haha 3