AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

9 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Going to try bringing this list to GenCon in a few weeks (if I can finish painting some new models):

Reveal hidden contents

573294231_BCRGenCon.png.8a67da2662637985b28c95ca045fd7a5.png

Definitely don't expect to do very well because, well, beastclaw, but I hope to have fun in any case. Apologies for the most bandwagon artefact choice.

Definitely let us know how it goes - that's enough stonehorns that it should be tough to chew through all of them.

18 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Anybody hear anything about GW updating this dude's warscroll from ogre kingdoms to Ogor?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Greasus-Goldtooth-mto-2018

Such as nice model and the command ability is crazy good.

Seems almost like a bad joke to me: Finally a reliable +1 hit and its for ogre kingdoms and on a model that isn't use able in matched ?

Still buying this guy though. 

On 7/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, Mincemeat said:

Seems almost like a bad joke to me: Finally a reliable +1 hit and its for ogre kingdoms and on a model that isn't use able in matched ?

Still buying this guy though. 

I was thinking of using him as a tyrant? Or maybe butcher? But he doesn't have a cauldron, so he'd just be the weaker one...

47 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

https://spikeybits.com/2018/07/beastclaws-take-win-atc-2018-age-sigmar-2-0.html

So I hear beastclaw raiders were top dogs at ATC 2018. Yaaaay ogors! Even better, I really like the list itself. Congrats Rob.

Yeah that battalion always interested me as a mixed faction battalion! Any + to hit is great for BCR, so it seems worth taking!

I think it's a three drop army, not a two drop army. The beast hammer is 2 units of Mournfang and 2 units of Goregruntas. 2, not 2+. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the 3rd unit of Mournfang wouldn't benefit from the Battalion rules and would be a separate drop.

It looks like there's just one stonehorn - the one listed in the behemoth is the general.  The Frostlord, 2 of the mournfang and the gruntas are all part of the battalion.  The third unit of mournfang is a second drop, then the hag is another.  I'm not say he played it that way in the tournament, but the article is incorrect.

While one result does not make a trend, it does seem to me that it shows that while Beastclaw Raiders may have some issues - they are not giant ones.  It looks like the primary keys to success there was the +1 to hit from the formation and the once-per-game extra pile in.  Then there was an allies wizard and the Cogs spell.  While those are all good things, nothing in that is truly out of control or over the top.

To me that says that whenever GW issues a new book it won't take a whole lot to put Beastclaw back on the map.  No telling when that might be though.

One thing that struck me though is that I am not sure this list is exactly legal.  My understanding was that formations that use allies let you take those allies without using up the allotted point costs for allies, but the units are still treated as allies.  That would mean that you would still need to abide by the 1:4 unit ratio for allies and this list does not do that.  I hope I am wrong on that count, but I saw that a number of battalions had ended up on the wrong side of that rule and were not very valid anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

While one result does not make a trend, it does seem to me that it shows that while Beastclaw Raiders may have some issues - they are not giant ones.  It looks like the primary keys to success there was the +1 to hit from the formation and the once-per-game extra pile in.  Then there was an allies wizard and the Cogs spell.  While those are all good things, nothing in that is truly out of control or over the top.

To me that says that whenever GW issues a new book it won't take a whole lot to put Beastclaw back on the map.  No telling when that might be though.

One thing that struck me though is that I am not sure this list is exactly legal.  My understanding was that formations that use allies let you take those allies without using up the allotted point costs for allies, but the units are still treated as allies.  That would mean that you would still need to abide by the 1:4 unit ratio for allies and this list does not do that.  I hope I am wrong on that count, but I saw that a number of battalions had ended up on the wrong side of that rule and were not very valid anymore.

Battalion Warscrolls have the allegiance listed on them, and all units taken as part of that warscroll gain that allegiance. 

Yes! I knew I was on right track with my Beasthammer battalion :)

But yeah, I can confirm that +1 is VERY nice to Beastclaw and makes Stonehorn great and more reliable.  

There was a mistake in the list though, Troggoth Hag is now 380 points... So no endless spell actually. 

Edited by Kessler

20 minutes ago, Korvak said:

Battalion Warscrolls have the allegiance listed on them, and all units taken as part of that warscroll gain that allegiance. 

I found it in the FAQ.

The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of. Warscroll battalions that share the same allegiance as an army can always be taken as part of the army, and if they include any allied units, these units do not count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (or against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle). An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

They don't gain that allegiance.  They still don't get access to the allegiance abilities - hence why some factions have specific rules or battalions to get around that.  But, they also don't count against the total number of allied units or the allied points.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gemzo said:

So the Battalion gives the Gore-Gruntas the BCR allegiance, but doesn't make them battleline, correct?  So you still need to take something else to fill in the 3rd battleline requirement.

This is correct.  You get Gore Gruntas, and they have the keyword for the Battalion, but they are still Ironjaws and allies - they are not Beastclaw.  So, an ability that affects just Beastclaw models, such as allegiance abilities, will not affect the Gore Gruntas.  But they also don't impact the number of allied units or points for allied units.  So, in the example list that was posted it was perfectly fine to still bring the Troggoth Hag as an ally.

• Like 1

So I've got a 1000 point local event coming up and I'm contemplating picking up a small BCR force for it, as I've always wanted to play them. I know they're not going to be super competitive at 1k, but hopefully they'll still be fun.

I've always loved the Thundertusk model, so even though it's not as survivable as the Stonehorn, I'll be putting my general on one. This is the list I'm planning on running:

Frost Lord on Thundertusk
Trait: Everwinter's Master

4 Mournfang Riders

3 Icefall Yhetees

3 Icefall Yhetees

Questions I have are:

Everwinter's Master seems an obvious choice for the general's trait, or is there something that I've missed?

Is there any reason not to run the Mournfangs as two packs of six, so I can potentially go after more objectives?

Of the realm artefacts, which do we think is the most useful on the Frostlord: the one that lets you ignore modifiers to saves, or the one that gives the 4+ save against mortal wounds (or something else I've missed altogether?)

52 minutes ago, Korvak said:

So I've got a 1000 point local event coming up and I'm contemplating picking up a small BCR force for it, as I've always wanted to play them. I know they're not going to be super competitive at 1k, but hopefully they'll still be fun.

Questions I have are:

Everwinter's Master seems an obvious choice for the general's trait, or is there something that I've missed?

Is there any reason not to run the Mournfangs as two packs of six, so I can potentially go after more objectives?

Of the realm artefacts, which do we think is the most useful on the Frostlord: the one that lets you ignore modifiers to saves, or the one that gives the 4+ save against mortal wounds (or something else I've missed altogether?)

Hi @Korvak welcome to the tribe!  I actually think 1000 point is a better level for BCR than 2000 points for a few reasons.  Your opponent can't usually fit in multiple big blocks of models, so you can often devastate their single key unit with your Stonehorn (if you had one).  Also your opponents don't often have room for enough buffing heroes to exploit their superior tech, or for Batallions to win the Artefacts arms race.  Basically we drag them down to our level and let the warscrolls do the talking.

1) You are correct on Everwinter's Master, that is the go-to because it helps to slightly mitigate our terrible Allegiance Abilities.

2) I don't understand this question, 2 packs of 6?  12 Mournfang is 960 points without a Leader and therefore is not legal at 1000 points?  

3) Interesting one.  I'd make him Ethereal personally. if you can get a wizard in there especially.  Very few armies will have enough MW firepower to one shot you with Mortals alone, and you do have healing, so I'd say most games it's the death by a thousand cuts that would be the main risk you'd need to mitigate?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Hi @Korvak welcome to the tribe!  I actually think 1000 point is a better level for BCR than 2000 points for a few reasons.  Your opponent can't usually fit in multiple big blocks of models, so you can often devastate their single key unit with your Stonehorn (if you had one).  Also your opponents don't often have room for enough buffing heroes to exploit their superior tech, or for Batallions to win the Artefacts arms race.  Basically we drag them down to our level and let the warscrolls do the talking.

1) You are correct on Everwinter's Master, that is the go-to because it helps to slightly mitigate our terrible Allegiance Abilities.

2) I don't understand this question, 2 packs of 6?  12 Mournfang is 960 points without a Leader and therefore is not legal at 1000 points?  

3) Interesting one.  I'd make him Ethereal personally. if you can get a wizard in there especially.  Very few armies will have enough MW firepower to one shot you with Mortals alone, and you do have healing, so I'd say most games it's the death by a thousand cuts that would be the main risk you'd need to mitigate?

Thanks for the advice! 

I meant to say two packs of two, I've edited it now. Clearly that's what happens when you try and type a post at 6 in the morning on the way to work, lol.

The Frostlord having a 3+ save that ignores modifiers definitely sounds appealing! Guess that settles where my tribe will be from then! 

Bought two start collectings on sale today. Lemme know what you guys think about this 1k list.

Realm: Ghur
General:
Huskard on Thundertusk (Everwinter's Master, Chain Trap, Gryph-feather Charm)
Mournfang Pack (Gargant Hackers)
Stonehorn Beastriders

I'm kind of struggling to put together 1000-point lists for my fledgling Beastclaws. At the moment I've only got the big beasties (any options possible) and Mournfangs available.

Last game I ran a Huskard on Thundertusk, Stonehorn Beastriders, and four Mournfangs, for spot-on 1000. I'm just not sure how to make... well, any other functional list, really.

I'd really like to get a Frostlord in, since the boost in hitting power is pretty significant. But if I do that, there's not enough points for a TT Huskard and the required battleline. Instead, taking Stonehorn Beastriders and a minimum unit of Mournfangs leaves me at 900 points, with nothing I can spend the remaining points on.

Any suggestions?

Just now, SleeperAgent said:

Bought two start collectings on sale today. Lemme know what you guys think about this 1k list.

Realm: Ghur
General:
Huskard on Thundertusk (Everwinter's Master, Chain Trap, Gryph-feather Charm)
Stonehorn Beastriders

Haha, just saw this post. Yep, as far as I can tell, that's "The List" at 1000! Swap the artefact and equipment for slightly different feel - I used Blood Vultures instead of Chain Traps, and the Ethereal Amulet.

Edited by Kadeton

17 hours ago, Kessler said:

But yeah, I can confirm that +1 is VERY nice to Beastclaw and makes Stonehorn great and more reliable.  

There was a mistake in the list though, Troggoth Hag is now 380 points... So no endless spell actually. 

Yeah his list was 20 point, so once he realize his list was illegal, he disqualify himself out of the tournament, apologize to the TO and ship his trophy back :(

Good morning, I have an important doubt about the ability of the Thundertusk: '' Blasts of Frost-wreathed Ice '', it is a skill, therefore it is not a shot (although it is used in the shooting phase), it would affect it to this skill rules like the '' careful sir '' or the ability of the fulminator -1 to impact? thank you very much

3 hours ago, Mjolnertf said:

Good morning, I have an important doubt about the ability of the Thundertusk: '' Blasts of Frost-wreathed Ice '', it is a skill, therefore it is not a shot (although it is used in the shooting phase), it would affect it to this skill rules like the '' careful sir '' or the ability of the fulminator -1 to impact? thank you very much

Since it has a missile weapon profile, it is a missile weapon (so you can't, say, run and shoot nor target a distant unit while you're in melee combat), but it doesn't roll "to hit" and therefore is immune to look out sir.

23 hours ago, Kessler said:

We (almost technically) did well (with an only slightly illegal) BCR list! I would've thought spending about 500 points with positional requirements and limited to 3 bcr units was too expensive and restrictive to be worth it even for +1 to hit, but I guess you just can't put a price on 'fixing our warscrolls'. hazaah!

Really sad for him 

What do u think about change the hag for a huskard on thunderstuck make him general to give him  the BCR artefact  to be a wizard+ everwinter master and give the token to the frostlord with the additional artefact from the batallion the list is valid that way

• Like 1

Someone should get him in here, personally, I'd love a tournament report. As for how to make the list legal, it really depends on how necessary he found Cogs. Making sure the mournfang get in and the gore grunta keep up is probably a pretty big deal, as is troll hag's spell and general usefulness midgame. Facebook is a flurry of random guesses and misinformation (beyond being over 2000pts, they allege he also used the army as 2-drop, but I don't trust facebook people) so I can't be sure about much unless we talk to him.

Sucks that the battalion needs ironjawz units to fix ours and is restrictive (2 units not 2+ makes me sad).

• Like 1