AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

40 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

Hunter and kitties will likely be getting new plastic models via Beastgrave, right?

Yup. The question is when though. The next Beastgrave warband to be released is probably the gobbo wolf riders so he could be after that. Odds are we'll see what the hunter and cats look like in the battletome though.

Tried to quickly crib these from the GMG video before I have to duck out this morning.
Mount traits!
Stonehorn

+1 to hit rolls with horns

d6 mortals to an enemy with a 4 or better save

Treat rolls under 7 for charge as a 7 to determine dice to roll for mortal wounds

Rend of crushing hooves +1

+1 wound

Add 1 to charge rolls for stonehorn and mournfangs within 12"

Thundertusks

Reroll dice when making charge rolls

When eating can heal a wound

+1 save vs rend

+1 wound

+1 to charge rolls for thundertusks

If didn't charge, start of combat phase enemy models within 3" fight last
!!!!

10 hours ago, Fabint said:

Tried to quickly crib these from the GMG video before I have to duck out this morning.
Mount traits!
Stonehorn

+1 to hit rolls with horns

d6 mortals to an enemy with a 4 or better save

Treat rolls under 7 for charge as a 7 to determine dice to roll for mortal wounds

Rend of crushing hooves +1

+1 wound

Add 1 to charge rolls for stonehorn and mournfangs within 12"

Thundertusks

Reroll dice when making charge rolls

When eating can heal a wound

+1 save vs rend

+1 wound

+1 to charge rolls for thundertusks

If didn't charge, start of combat phase enemy models within 3" fight last
!!!!

Wow those Stonehorn ones are good

Don't sell the thundertusks short. The fight last ability on them is super strong, and if you run Winterbite the command ability lets you fight first (select one hero, and one unit of yetis and one unit of Sabres wholly within 12" of the hero. These three all fight first).

53 minutes ago, Fabint said:

Don't sell the thundertusks short. The fight last ability on them is super strong, and if you run Winterbite the command ability lets you fight first (select one hero, and one unit of yetis and one unit of Sabres wholly within 12" of the hero. These three all fight first).

True but TTusks arent usually taken for their outstanding combat capabilities compared to the mighty Stonehorn. They were almost always taken for the straight 6 MW. I dont look at a TTusk and think I should be charging it into stuff

I like the Damage Buff Mounrfang Packs get. Their Clubs now hit on 3+.  i did the math for average damage to enemy units with a 4+ save. now the clubs and the gargant hackers do the same amount of damage. Plus the Clubs have Iron fists which send back 1 Mortal Wound each on a saveroll of 6.

That way Clubs and Iron Fiss will do more Damage than Gargant Hackers.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:37 AM, Fabint said:

I actually think Thundertusks are great if you use them with a fierce aggression. If you add the Stampede rolls to the snowball it actually turns into something decent. I also think the Frostlord on Thundertusk is actually a pretty good pick now with the enemy fight last mount trait. The frostlord himself might do enough damage to hurt the horde unit you are fighting bad enough that they can't hurt him on the swing back. I do think boulderhead is better if you bring two other thundertusk with you to support him.

You do need to make sure you get both the snowball AND the charge in though. So extra movement is key here.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:37 AM, Fabint said:

I dont think that CA lets the hero you select fight first. The hero is just selected to measure from. Unfortunately.

Edited by Walrustaco

2 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

It says hero, unit of cats, unit of yethee's. So he can.

Screenshot_20191028-110142_Gallery.jpg.32547883878d3111b0038364af81187a.jpg

Look at what it says: 

"Pick 1 friendly Winterbite Hero. Friendly Winterbite Frost Sabres units and Winterbite Icefall Yhetees units wholly within 12" of that Winterbite Hero can fight at the start ..."

It's just wilful misinterpretation to say otherwise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

Screenshot_20191028-110142_Gallery.jpg.32547883878d3111b0038364af81187a.jpg

Look at what it says: 

"Pick 1 friendly Winterbite Hero. Friendly Winterbite Frost Sabres units and Winterbite Icefall Yhetees units wholly within 12" of that Winterbite Hero can fight at the start ..."

It's just wilful misinterpretation to say otherwise.

This  sounds like it might combine well with a second FL on stonehorn with the doppelgänger’s cloak? Seems like a potential answer for the activation wars...?

8 minutes ago, Jmason said:

This  sounds like it might combine well with a second FL on stonehorn with the doppelgänger’s cloak? Seems like a potential answer for the activation wars...?

or you could drop a hunter and a big unit of cats and use the CP to fight a keeper or something. If something fights first while also having to fight last that just counteracts each other right?

The challenge with it is yetis already do well in activation wars. You can retreat and leave them 5 inches out, to pile in from out of reach. And Frost sabres, while certainly interesting for their strike potential, but maybe more for assassination than for taking on main threats by themselves. 

Apparently math says it takes 17 Frost sabers with the +1 wound artifact to average kill a keeper of secrets. Not totally impossible, but a bit unlikely. Not a terribly return on investment though I guess. 

That being said, I think it might be good on your opponents turn. Prevents them from hitting you back.

And now I'm taking myself into trying it.....

That being said I think mawtribes will have a horrid matchup against slaanesh so it might not be worth planning around too much. All those 4 wound models....

11 hours ago, Frowny said:

The challenge with it is yetis already do well in activation wars. You can retreat and leave them 5 inches out, to pile in from out of reach. And Frost sabres, while certainly interesting for their strike potential, but maybe more for assassination than for taking on main threats by themselves. 

Apparently math says it takes 17 Frost sabers with the +1 wound artifact to average kill a keeper of secrets. Not totally impossible, but a bit unlikely. Not a terribly return on investment though I guess. 

That being said, I think it might be good on your opponents turn. Prevents them from hitting you back.

And now I'm taking myself into trying it.....

That being said I think mawtribes will have a horrid matchup against slaanesh so it might not be worth planning around too much. All those 4 wound models....

Hunter has a command ability to give +1 attack to cats. There is also a way for him to get D3 CP every turn he is not on the table. If you get lucky you can spend like 2 or 3 cp and get get a bunch of extra attacks for the cats. I have 10 cats myself so I'm going to try that out for sure.