AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Been thinking about a competitive pure Beastclaw army. I have two extreme armies, one with Stonehorns and Mournfangs and the other with Thundertusks and Yhettees. Here they are:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- General
- Trait: Massive Bulk 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Vindictive Glare
- Allies

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 90 / 400
Wounds: 101
Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ghur
The other one:
Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- General
- Trait: Massive Bulk 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
6 x Icefall Yhetees (240)
6 x Icefall Yhetees (240)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

Maybe a mix between them could more competitive. 

If I have to choose one of them to bring to a tournament I will choose the first one.

3 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

Maybe a mix between them could more competitive. 

If I have to choose one of them to bring to a tournament I will choose the first one.

Thank you!

What would you do if you made a mix between the two?

I've got a 1200 point tournament coming up in 2 weeks and was looking at taking the following. Thoughts? 

Frostlord on stonehorn - ethereal amulet 

Frostlord on stonehorn 

Hunter - general w/everwinter master

Frost sabres x4

Frost sabres x2 

Frost sabres x2 

Total: 1140

Only tweak I was thinking of would be refuce the unit of 4 sabres to 2 and take a fungoid 

2 hours ago, Brakkus said:

I've got a 1200 point tournament coming up in 2 weeks and was looking at taking the following. Thoughts? 

Frostlord on stonehorn - ethereal amulet 

Frostlord on stonehorn 

Hunter - general w/everwinter master

Frost sabres x4

Frost sabres x2 

Frost sabres x2 

Total: 1140

Only tweak I was thinking of would be refuce the unit of 4 sabres to 2 and take a fungoid 

Fungoid is more useful than two Frost Sabres... 

5 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Thank you!

What would you do if you made a mix between the two?

This is my favourite competitive Beastclaw Raiders list:

Frostlord on Stonehorn

(Ethereal Amulet)

Frostlord on Stonehorn

Huskard On Thundertusk

(Everwinter Master)

Fungoid Cave Shaman

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

60x Grots (Gutbusters)

Endless spell:

Mork's Mighty Mushroom

2000 point total. 

Cool

2 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

This is my favourite competitive Beastclaw Raiders list:

Frostlord on Stonehorn

(Ethereal Amulet)

Frostlord on Stonehorn

Huskard On Thundertusk

(Everwinter Master)

Fungoid Cave Shaman

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

60x Grots (Gutbusters)

Endless spell:

Mork's Mighty Mushroom

2000 point total. 

Cool! Any suggestions on how to play the army?

7 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Cool

Cool! Any suggestions on how to play the army?

Put the Fungoid more than 30" to an enemy wizard. Try to cast the Mushroom. (Close to an enemy objective or use it to delete an enemy big units. ) 

Use the Grots at the beginning to screen the Huskard on Thundertusk, is important keep him full life, and use him to snipe enemy's crucial models. Then run with grots (they have +2 on run) to keep objectives. 

Put the 2 Stonehorns close to don't be sorrounded by enemy models (they suffer against horde) and try to charge at first turn. 

Use the Yethees on the flank, try to don't engage enemies with rend or they will die very fast, and optimize their 6" 'pile in' to attack without be attacked. 

Use you fantasy, go and destroy everything you will meet! 

If using Stonehorn, many of us only use 2 items: either ethereal amulet to give you protection (sadly not for mortal wounds) or thermalraider cloak, to give you the chance to move, run and charge wherever you want, ignoring screens and that stuff.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, Luzgurbel said:

If using Stonehorn, many of us only use 2 items: either ethereal amulet to give you protection (sadly not for mortal wounds) or thermalraider cloak, to give you the chance to move, run and charge wherever you want, ignoring screens and that stuff.

yep, my favourite is the ethereal amulet 🙂

I've been thinking about that "wounds counts as models regarding objectives" rule idea that's been floating around here. And seeing that every army that gets a book these days has one overpowered asset I think that what I'm about to suggest is more than fine:

I think the normal "wounds counts as models" idea is cool for Gutbusters as an allegiance ability (if they combine the Ogors into one tome). But for BCR I think it would be thematic if wound characteristic counts double for sake of capturing objectives on a turn for a BCR OGOR unit which charged in that turn but nothing in a turn where they did not. Reason being is that I can picture Ogors themselves being smart enough to sumo enemies around. The wild animals they ride don't care about objectives. But the combined weight of their animals and themselves is like getting hit by a dump truck. So to respresent enemies flying away and not being able to help capture objectives I think the double wounds idea would be cool. Better than forcing enemies to move back a couple of inches like the old Slaughterpriest prayer.

This means BCR players have a lot more flexibility in how they play. You can now play a bit more patiently. Because if you have a 14 wound Frostlord you can now realistically take an objective from a 30 man unit if you kill enough of them in the combat phase. If you give away first turn you give away your alpha strike but now you can counter attack to take objectives. This will make a 420 model actually terrifying. AS IT SHOULD BE!

Sounds OP. But is it really? At this point in time BCR has one play style; everything goes forward. Alpha strike, die slowly. At least this way BCR can TAKE objectives and not just hold them for one turn just because you got first turn. And since you don't have the ability on turns where you haven't charged maybe players will retreat more often. We are not Khorne. Ghengis Khan's Golden Horde did a lot of hit and run tactics. There is nothing in the lore to say that BCR are berserkers. They are very much in control in combat so this would make sense.

I kinda want to playtest this in my group. But people still think a 420 model doing 6 mortal wounds on 2+ is the ultimate form of OP... So I dunno how well this will go over.

Edited by Pitloze
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I've been thinking about that "wounds counts as models regarding objectives" rule idea that's been floating around here. And seeing that every army that gets a book these days has one overpowered asset I think that what I'm about to suggest is more than fine:

I think the normal "wounds counts as models" idea is cool for Gutbusters as an allegiance ability (if they combine the Ogors into one tome). But for BCR I think it would be thematic if wound characteristic counts double for sake of capturing objectives on a turn for a BCR OGOR unit which charged in that turn but nothing in a turn where they did not. Reason being is that I can picture Ogors themselves being smart enough to sumo enemies around. The wild animals they ride don't care about objectives. But the combined weight of their animals and themselves is like getting hit by a dump truck. So to respresent enemies flying away and not being able to help capture objectives I think the double wounds idea would be cool. Better than forcing enemies to move back a couple of inches like the old Slaughterpriest prayer.

This means BCR players have a lot more flexibility in how they play. You can now play a bit more patiently. Because if you have a 14 wound Frostlord you can now realistically take an objective from a 30 man unit if you kill enough of them in the combat phase. If you give away first turn you give away your alpha strike but now you can counter attack to take objectives. This will make a 420 model actually terrifying. AS IT SHOULD BE!

Sounds OP. But is it really? At this point in time BCR has one play style; everything goes forward. Alpha strike, die slowly. At least this way BCR can TAKE objectives and not just hold them for one turn just because you got first turn. And since you don't have the ability on turns where you haven't charged maybe players will retreat more often. We are not Khorne. Ghengis Khan's Golden Horde did a lot of hit and run tactics. There is nothing in the lore to say that BCR are berserkers. They are very much in control in combat so this would make sense.

I kinda want to playtest this in my group. But people still think a 420 model doing 6 mortal wounds on 2+ is the ultimate form of OP... So I dunno how well this will go over.

I think people overestimate BCR. They're easy to stop. Do you win a lot in this group of yours?

20 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Does everyone play dispossessed and STD? how does a meta think that the like 5th worst army in the game is OP lol

1 hour ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Does everyone play dispossessed and STD? how does a meta think that the like 5th worst army in the game is OP lol

A friend, on my group, plays Dispossessed. They are not so bad. I lost once against him. I put in too many Thundertusks and he easy killed them with his ability to appear wherever on the battlefield with one unit. The Thunderers shoot very well. 

My balance against him is 4/5 victories. 

So got a killer deal on ebay and grabbed two start collecting boxes of beastclaw raiders. I know BCR are not in a great place competitively (mostly due to lack of objective sitters and magic), but they are the army that interested me the most and have a pretty low cost to entry. I'm also pretty hopeful for the future, since every faction will get endless spells, and we currently don't have anyone to cast them, so we'll have to get some kind of "priest" of the everwinter/Gorkamorka. Barring a new model, the caster role will probably be filled by thunder tusks.

From suggestions in post here I was planning on magnetizing the heads, and building one as a huskar with bird, and the other as a frost lord. The mournfangs will be built with full command and gargant hackers. Then grabbing another stonehorn box and building it as beast riders. From there I'm kind of open, I was thinking maybe an Icebrow hunter with some frost sabers, or getting the obligatory gobbos to sit on objectives and be test models for contrast. What do you guys think should be the few purchases? 

8 hours ago, ChaosLord said:

Do you all think BCR might see point reductions in the new GHB? Even small point reductions would seem to be a big help with building 1000 point lists, which is currently pretty hard to do ... my preferred list comes in at 1020. :(

What's your preferred list?

Also, I'm actually not sure that many point reductions will come in. We had a large point reduction in 2.0, so I don't think we'll get more points off.

3 hours ago, MKsmash said:

What's your preferred list?

Also, I'm actually not sure that many point reductions will come in. We had a large point reduction in 2.0, so I don't think we'll get more points off.

Here's what I've been thinking...

The Frostlord on Stonehorn is a gimme. I feel like that unit is the  reason to run BCR. I also want to run two behemoths because, well, it's Beastclaw Raiders.  Assuming a pure BCR list, I prefer Yhetees as battleline, which means I need a Thundertusk. No problem, Thundertusk makes sense for a Huskard, right?

• Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
  • Huskard on Thundertusk (360) - general
  • 3x Icefall Yhetees(120)
  • 3x Icefall Yhetees(120)

Total is 1020 ... close but no dice. The annoying thing about this is that the Frostlord is the same (420) on either mount, but the Huskard is 20 points more on the mammoth. If they made them both 340, this list works... this just feels like a basic BCR list that should work at 1000. GW, please fix. :)

Using the hunter and dogs works with the list (exactly 1000), but I don't like these models as much as the Yhetees:

• Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
  • Icebrow Hunter (140) - general
  • 2x Frost Sabres (40)
  • 2x Frost Sabres (40)

I'm not a fan of mixing in a lot of allies, but I think this would be a legal way to get two Frostlords on  Stonehorns for 1000:

• Frostlord on Stonehorn (420) - general
  • 10x Greenskinz Orruks (80)
  • 10x Greenskinz Orruks (80)

One last list I cobbled together with just one behemoth and Mournfangs battleline plus some spell support:

• Frostlord on Stonehorn (420) - general
  • Fungoid Cave Shaman (90)
  • 2x Mournfang Pack (160)
  • 2x Mournfang Pack (160)
  • 4x Frost Saberes (80)
  • Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

The Mournfangs are ok but not as cool as the bigger mounts. The ogors look a little silly on the smaller animals. Also, it would be nice to see this faction get their own low cost shaman and a few spells...

Edited by ChaosLord

Hi guys! Vlka Fenrika etc 😃

I've been participating at the local 30-man tournament with BCR+Fungogobbo, trying to test own might and skills.

So decided to go with maybe classical BCR list:

======================================================

Points - 2240/2250

Braggoth Vardruk (420) Frostlord on Stonehorn
- General
- Command Trait : Everwinter's Master - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm

Huskjarl Baran'dur (340) Huskard on Stonehorn
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Ice Mammoth Skull Plate

Razzek Da Mushruum (90) Fungoid Cave-Shaman - Allies

Olf Pack (320) 4 x Mournfang Pack - Gargant Hackers

Jag Pack (160) 2 x Mournfang Pack - Gargant Hackers

El Cabanieros Uno (140) 3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas - Pig-iron Choppas

El Cabanieros Dos (140) 3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas - Pig-iron Choppas

Bjolk und Jolk (340) Thundertusk Beastriders

Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

======================================================

Tourney points system is:

- Primary points for major victory (15 points) - if You win major You can't get secondary points

- If You lose - you can achieve secondary points (up to 11)

1st day summary:

-first match vs Nighthaunt army 15-5 win

Opponent: 40 little towels (5+), 30 towels with scythes, some banshees, Kurdos, Olydner, 2 guys with Lanterns (aka Green Lantern Say hello to Ryan), Guys on horse with blade and vampire lord on mount. Was succesfull my first turn charge - killed 38 towels on charge with lord and husk, 25 scythes and vampire + banshees with snowball. Further there was only funplay and drinking beer with opponent. Easy

- second match vs Nurgle Skittles 2-15 lose

Opponent: 3 GUO (WTF?), 60 poxies, 3 flies, 1 scriver (dunno how that guys is calling), 5 blight knights on foot and a tree.

I went 1st - charged and killed everything except 3 flies and 3 GUO, and after those 3 big skittle's guys killed everything... I was demotivated... Didn't expect such fat power from GUOs..

Tomorrow 2 more matches - goal is to go TOP10

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 9:47 PM, grimgold said:

From suggestions in post here I was planning on magnetizing the heads, and building one as a huskar with bird, and the other as a frost lord. The mournfangs will be built with full command and gargant hackers. Then grabbing another stonehorn box and building it as beast riders. From there I'm kind of open, I was thinking maybe an Icebrow hunter with some frost sabers, or getting the obligatory gobbos to sit on objectives and be test models for contrast. What do you guys think should be the few purchases? 

Assuming you mean 2x4 mournfang not 1x8 unit, then you have a solid base for a list there. While hunter+cats or allied grots are both good options for your remaining points, have you considered 6 yhetees? They give you another dimension to the army, and are sometimes surprisingly useful.

Hi again, Ol'Frosty here!

Played 2 last games today (tournament form previous post)

- 1st vs Skaven thing-thing 15-0

Skaven list: big pack of jezails, 2 warplightning canons, 6 stormfiends, pack of stormvermins, 2 packs of clanrats, 2 small warlocks, 1 big warlock with rocket (maybe missed smth but those were a core of the army). 1st turn mine - successful charge with all i've got (chronomatic cogs + winter + amulet + command ability to charge reroll = Hello guys, i'm in your deployment! 😃 Killed from charge almost everything, 2nd turn win

- 2nd vs Tzeench mortals 15-0

Tzeench guys (fun roster i think): Deamon, gauntsummoner, traumaturge, small caster, chaos lord on maunt, 10 riders of chaos, 20-30 mortals, pack of 6 flamers, shrine, endless spells (pendulum, mirrors). 1st turn is mine - winter (4 times in 4 games in a row i've got needed result on the table 😃 ) So, what to say - 1st turn mine, all charged successfully - second turn wipeout. MK voice: Flawless victory.

All in all 8th place from 30-man.

Next time will try something new (tired from Braggoth). Lucky charges  never be always 😃

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, FatherOl'Frosty said:

Hi again, Ol'Frosty here!

Played 2 last games today (tournament form previous post)

- 1st vs Skaven thing-thing 15-0

Skaven list: big pack of jezails, 2 warplightning canons, 6 stormfiends, pack of stormvermins, 2 packs of clanrats, 2 small warlocks, 1 big warlock with rocket (maybe missed smth but those were a core of the army). 1st turn mine - successful charge with all i've got (chronomatic cogs + winter + amulet + command ability to charge reroll = Hello guys, i'm in your deployment! 😃 Killed from charge almost everything, 2nd turn win

- 2nd vs Tzeench mortals 15-0

Tzeench guys (fun roster i think): Deamon, gauntsummoner, traumaturge, small caster, chaos lord on maunt, 10 riders of chaos, 20-30 mortals, pack of 6 flamers, shrine, endless spells (pendulum, mirrors). 1st turn is mine - winter (4 times in 4 games in a row i've got needed result on the table 😃 ) So, what to say - 1st turn mine, all charged successfully - second turn wipeout. MK voice: Flawless victory.

All in all 8th place from 30-man.

Next time will try something new (tired from Braggoth). Lucky charges  never be always 😃

Congratulations, very good result! 

What was the result of the guy with Nurgle 3 Great Unclean?

9 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

Congratulations, very good result! 

What was the result of the guy with Nurgle 3 Great Unclean?

He finished 8th.

1st place - Bonesplitters

2nd - BCR (not mine - guys was a newbie a nd won 4of4 games - lucky)

3rd - Sylvaneths

4th - Nagash guy

5th - Slaanesh

12 hours ago, FatherOl'Frosty said:

He finished 8th.

1st place - Bonesplitters

2nd - BCR (not mine - guys was a newbie a nd won 4of4 games - lucky)

3rd - Sylvaneths

4th - Nagash guy

5th - Slaanesh

What was the Beastclaw player's list? He may have unknowingly created a competitive BCR list. 

On 5/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, ChaosLord said:

Do you all think BCR might see point reductions in the new GHB? Even small point reductions would seem to be a big help with building 1000 point lists, which is currently pretty hard to do ... my preferred list comes in at 1020. :(

For 1000 points, BCR need a Frostlord on Mournfang pretty urgently (or the Hunter to suck less)