AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Played a 2k match against Iron Jawz last night. I didn't truely appreciate the comments regarding IJ being a 'hard counter' to BCR until I got run down by Brutes. Most notable thing i took from it, was that my best unit isn't part of the BCR list, that's right, the Troggoth Hag. 

2k List

• Frostlord on Stonehorn 
  • Frostlord on Thundertusk (Thermalrider Cloak)
  • Troggoth Hag
  • Mournfang *4
  • Mournfang *2
  • Mournfang *2
  • Sabretooth *4
  • Chronomantic Cogs

IJ List

• Boss on Mawcrusha
  • Big Boss on foot
  • Warchanter
  • Shaman
  • 10 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 20 Ardboyz
  • 3 piggies
  • 3 piggies 
  • Chrono Cogs 
  • Iron Fist

We played the mission with six objectives, and the ability to burn them. Unfortuantely, it wasn't a great scenario for me. With the IJ player getting the first turn and the speed advantages of he could muster between Cogs, Waaghs etc. He could hit and burn my objectives 1st turn. So I had to provide some defence of them to try and get the points myself. 

Thundertusk got deleted turn 1, and my mournfang took heavy casualties across the board. but the Troggoth held her own, vomiting all over the place for great amounts of damage. Turn 2 IJ took first turn again and capitalised on their earlier success. My turn two, I rounded on the Two brute units, killing off one, and demolishing the other, but in the end it was decided. BCR had lost.. miserably :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dead_Ghost said:

Their IJ Battle Report

Sounds like it was what I would expect a game against IJ would be like. IJ does everything BCR does but better and in greater numbers. Admittingly IJ can be a tough contender if you're not careful. In the few games I played against IJ with different armies the result was the same, They run across the board turn 1, fist or gork, then wail on my units taking at least half of my army with them. It gets worse if they get the double turn. I'm sure I'm a bit biased here but with how the AoS 2.0 meta is going with the lack of shooting, it makes me wonder why there isn't any IJ around to begin with.

Edited by CaptainSoup
  • Like 1

So I finally pulled the trigger and picked up the start of my beastclaw army. Working to assemble and paint the starter, and have decided to attempt to magnetize the lot of them. Seen a few good tutorials for thundertusk and stonehorn, but not many for mournfang. Anyone have experience doing them? Looking to see what magnets I need for both types of models respectfully.

6x3mm magnet should work for the stonehorn head.  3x2 is more appropriate for rider arms/hands. 

Stonehorn head is the easiest to do.   For the body I decided it was not worth it. It is hard to magnetize and not necessary. Let's say you have 4 kits. You'll probably never run 3 beastriders. 2 max.   So make 2 single rider models, and 2 dual rider models.  Want to run a single rider on a dual saddle? No problem, one seat is just empty.    I don't like to sacrifice quality of the model for unnecessary magnetization (and unless you spend a lot of time on this, you will not make it fit perfectly with magnets). It's also extra painting work. 

Mournfang:    Technically, if you want WYSIWYG with the least amount of work, each pair of 2 comes with full command bits. Musicians/Standard bearers have the same equipment as the unit.  So, you can have every model be a leader, musician, or standard bearer pick whichever weapon you want each unit to have. 
Okay that's kind of lame.  Well, you really want Gargant hackers.  The ironfists will never proc on attacks with rend, which is most attacks against you that matter. (lots of rend out there).  I think gargant hacker is always better.    If you must magnetize, you kind of have to magnetize the arms to the torso (for different elbow angels) and also at at least one hand ( because otherwise it's going to be hard to get the gargant hacker arms on/off together). 

Something I do a lot when I am not sure the magnetization will be worth my time, is I attach the pieces with just a tiny bit of super glue. That way when i do decide i want it magnetized, it comes off very easily later.  This gets you playing ASAP. 

I have a Stonehorn and a Thundertusk assembled with the saddle for either a Frostlord or Huskard.  Basically everything is glued except riders, no magnets. 

I’ve got two unassembled SC boxes and I’m definitely going to magnetize the heads to swap out the type of mount, but should I glue one as single-rider and one as double? Magnets on the saddles too? I’m super lazy. 

I have a fully magnetised Stonehorn/Thundertusk, it really isn't worth the bother. As well as that, I have three built as two seaters (two Stonehorns and one Thundertusk) and two built with single seats (one of each (I really enjoy building and painting these models)). All the seats are magnetised, as are all my Mournfang seats.

Something I did do early on, in case someone took offence at there being a spare seat behind a Frostlord or Huskard, for some reason, is I built saddlebags using left over weapons from the kits, a cage and sack from the Gargant kit and some greenstuff.

• Like 1

I'm at a bit of a fork in the road atm. The new Ogor pack is such a good deal that I'm considering abandoning staying solely BCR and go Destruction/Gutbusters. I have enough BCR bits left to make some Irongots and a Tyrant/Butcher or two. But I can also just get some Yethee's and try and make BCR work.

What do you guys recommend?

31 minutes ago, Lughaidh said:

@Pitloze what new Ogor pack?

He might be referring to the repack on the bulls. That's the only ogor pack that I can recall being released

I've seen a few lists floating around that use some bulls in place of yeti. Plus, the cauldron seems to pop up in most lists I see. Really BCR allegiance doesn't offer much atm, so I don't think you lose a lot by just branching into GaD with vanilla ogors. If this year is destruction rising, and not just grots/ironjawz, then who knows how 2019 will change up thing!

BCR are near the bottom of the power rankings, so even the Generals handbook might see a change up to bring them closer to centre. I'd say just do whatever is thematic/ looks cool to you.

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I'm at a bit of a fork in the road atm. The new Ogor pack is such a good deal that I'm considering abandoning staying solely BCR and go Destruction/Gutbusters. I have enough BCR bits left to make some Irongots and a Tyrant/Butcher or two. But I can also just get some Yethee's and try and make BCR work.

What do you guys recommend?

I think gutbusters are fun and if they get put in a tome at some point that would be awesome. Also 12 Ogors fit great in a BCR army I think. 

Some tips if you jump into gutbusters:
Ironguts box is more expensive, is basically 2/3rds of an Ogors box, with the missing 2 ogor sprues replaced with a set of Ironguts sprues. 
Ironguts have bellowers and standard bearers too, so a box of 4 could make a unit of 6 with 2  donor ogors.  from the cheaper kit.  If you want units of 3, the limitation is the rune maw bearer, you only get 1 per box (so 3 boxes of 4 still only makes 3 units of 3!) 
Stuff to think about, plan how many of which kits you need.   Also, I see big lots of gutbusters on ebay all the time. I picked up all of mine for maybe 25-50% of retail price. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

I think gutbusters are fun and if they get put in a tome at some point that would be awesome. Also 12 Ogors fit great in a BCR army I think. 

Some tips if you jump into gutbusters:
Ironguts box is more expensive, is basically 2/3rds of an Ogors box, with the missing 2 ogor sprues replaced with a set of Ironguts sprues. 
Ironguts have bellowers and standard bearers too, so a box of 4 could make a unit of 6 with 2  donor ogors.  from the cheaper kit.  If you want units of 3, the limitation is the rune maw bearer, you only get 1 per box (so 3 boxes of 4 still only makes 3 units of 3!) 
Stuff to think about, plan how many of which kits you need.   Also, I see big lots of gutbusters on ebay all the time. I picked up all of mine for maybe 25-50% of retail price. 

Yeah I'm going to make everything from the Ogor box and kitbash all of it. I don't want to to deal with resin models or old out of print packages. Not sure how I'll make the Irongut's weapons but I'll figure it out.

5 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Yeah I'm going to make everything from the Ogor box and kitbash all of it. I don't want to to deal with resin models or old out of print packages. Not sure how I'll make the Irongut's weapons but I'll figure it out.

The ironguts are not resin or oop. The bodies are the exact same bodies as ogors. The same sprues.   What you are suggesting is putting 2 handed weapons on regular ogors and that's not really enough I think.  The ironguts kit comes with armored heads, arms, different belly inserts, and other assories. And their unique banner.    It's a little more expensive per unit bit thats the nature of the hobby. At least buy 1 box and mix all the bits you can into your "ironguts"

5 hours ago, Lughaidh said:

What’s the general opinion of Huskard on Stonehorn?  I recently used their “Line-breakers” ability to nice effect. 

That it doesn’t quite know what it is. The stonehorn is good in melee, the huskard isn’t really. Bit like a frostlord on Thundertusk (in reverse) 😃

I agree the linebreakers ability is nice, but it’s a bit situational, in that it is not always easy to get when you want it, and you need a unit of 4 mournfang to really start to do much damage, so it’s quite a lot of points to commit to the same or very close combat in order to pull off.

The jorlbad can make it more reliable on the charge, and a eurlbad can help the huskard into a more melee-effective unit (as well as making more hard hitting mournfang), the latter being where I’ve used one most; can get some good moshes, but both battalions are quite restrictive.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

So I've been expanding my destruction collection, as I have a healthy Ironjawz army and now am branching into BCR. In saying that, my FLGS is having a small tournament at the end of the month for a few newer people that recently moved into the area so I figured it was a good time to bust out the BCR for the first time.

I'm thinkingabout taking the following list. Any thoughts and/or feedback is appreciated:

Huskard on Thundertusk

Mournfang x2

Mournfang x2

Stonehorn Beastriders

I know it's light on models, but that's BCR for you. I do have other models available to play aroud with, but felt this was a good balance of range, hitting power and embodied what I picture BCR to be. Only question is what artefact to take on the general?

On 12/11/2018 at 2:02 AM, Brakkus said:

I know it's light on models, but that's BCR for you. I do have other models available to play aroud with, but felt this was a good balance of range, hitting power and embodied what I picture BCR to be. Only question is what artefact to take on the general?

Generally I’d say take the Pelt. Can heal 1-6 wounds per turn when coupled with the blizzard speaker healing (with an average of 2), can help to keep those snowballs coming. 

Bleeding skull is decent too, if you’re facing a bit of magic. Useless against none and lots/buffed magic though.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

2 hours ago, Lughaidh said:

Thoughts on taking Thermalrider Cloak with a Frostlord on Stonehorn?  Adds +4 to movement and fly.  Possibility of 3" from Everwinter's Blessing + 16" of movement + 2d6 charge just sounds super scary, especially when flying makes obstacles a non-issue.

On a frostlord, absolutely. Don’t forget you also get a free run in there too, as the stonehorn can run and charge.  

• Haha 1

I have tried both the etheral amulet (ignore rend) and thermalrider cloak in different tournament. In my opinion the cloak is way better and makes the frostlord a very versatile model. Instead of alphastriking with him, I keep him back in the beginning of the battle and fly him forward in later turns to grab poorly guarded objectives or to mop up a decimated unit. I should add that I usually run the cloaklord in a mixed destrolist with a lot of moonclan grots... 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LawgiverA554 said:

Coming into BCR from Khorne. 

For your consideration, C&C appreciated.

BCR.pdf

Looks interesting; presume you’re running the huskard on stonehorn with the mournfangs to get use of line breakers. This has been a bit hit and miss for me, not least because the huskard on stonehorn is not great as an individual. Also, running mournfang in a pack of 6 can be a bit unwieldy, you might find it hard to get all 6 into combat (normally run mine in units of 4). However, would be interesting to see the two paired with cogs and snares, so let us know how you get on with the list. Huskard on TT and frostlord on Sh are solid picks, and yhetees are surprising useful, particularly with TTs.  You are light on bodies, but welcome to BCR!

Yeah Huskard on Stonehorn for Linebreaker. Combined with Cogs and the reroll RO Everwinter’s blessing, I should get an extra 5” of movement to get the Mournfang in.

I could realistically drop two of the Mournfang  for 20 grots and Lifeswarm, if just to boost numbers, but I am thinking my Yhettis should be able to play backfield defense.