AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Here's a small battle report on Braggoth's Beast Hammer. My third try and first loss. List was Beasthammer plus Huskard and sabres.

It was hard game, ironjaws are faster (!) and more powerful and more numerous than Beastclaw . Plus some stupid mistakes from my part and stupid dice :) . But fun game and fun battalion still!

Forces of Caerbannog - Braggot's Beast Hammer battle report.

Edited by Kessler
  • Like 1

Currently testing the pros and cons of two options:

1) 3x3 yeti battleline with a 12-man unit of ogors ally

Pros: 12 ogor unit is great, and helps one of our big problems. Their damage is good with double weapons over 10 models. 

Cons: no room for wizards, yeti units are forced into msu to satisfy battleline (and 3 yetis are meh), wasted command trait, bad allegiance abilities that generally don't help yetis and never help the 12 ogors.

2) 3x3 ogor battleline in GA: Destruction with a 9-man unit of yeti

Pros: proper yeti unit size for doing well in combat, wild fury command trait is way better than everwinter's master, GA allegiance abilities aren't good, but they're better than BCR ones, can play a wizard since no ally restrictions.

Cons: msu ogors are meh, the sinking feeling that since you're in GA anyway, you might as well just play mostly gutbuster units instead because they're a better army.

Playing deepkin, sylvaneth, and stormcast soon, will report.

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 3

Just for fun...an army where literally everything can either deepstrike, or has the 6" pile in funtimes.

What artefacts would you take?

Spoiler

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
Icebrow Hunter (140)

Battleline
6 x Frost Sabres (120)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)

Units
6 x Icefall Yhetees (240)

Behemoths
Bonegrinder Gargant (400)
- Allies

Battalions
Skal (150)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 146

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Interested to hear how this goes. 

What are the remainders of those lists please?

For the second one, you couldn't fit in 1x 12 and 2x 3 Ogors?  

And re: the optimum unit size for Yhetees...do you find you can get all 9 into combat on those big bases with 1" range?  

honestly cuz I only own 12 ogors, but I can do the ol' empty bases test game. The issue I suppose is needing to drop yetis and closing in on half gutbusters units in a GA list. Really starts the danger of the slippery slope: one better unit choice at a time until suddenly I'm playing gutbusters with a frostlord.

Re: yetis: anything but 3 really, and nine means I have better odds of six still being alive after the first encounter. By no means a rule of thumb or anything.

51 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Just for fun...an army where literally everything can either deepstrike, or has the 6" pile in funtimes.

What artefacts would you take?

This sounds fun. I'd play:

Skal #1:

Hunter general, everwinter's master

Hunter

12 cats, then 8 units of 2 cats

Skal #2:

Hunter with alchemical chain

Hunter with bleeding skull

12 cats, then 8 units of 2 cats

1980pts, 2 drops, 140 wounds, everything deepstrikes, 2 unbinds, you land on objectives with the hunters and use staggered checkerboard pattern units of msu frost sabers to bubblewrap in 18" diameters around each hunter so people have to fight each unit successively to reach the hunters while you score points.

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I owned 36 metal Frost Sabres I would love to try this list out and fill the final 150 points with something. I love BCR but I don't love finecast and don't really want to buy all the fenrisian wolves to make it work.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
Icebrow Hunter (140)

Battleline
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
12 x Frost Sabres (240)

Battalions
Skal (150)

Total: 1850 / 2000

• Like 2

Hi guys, all this talk of kitties has encouraged me to build a list of my own. Let me know what you think. 

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders 

Realms of Battle: Shyish 

Leaders: 

Icebrow Hunter - GENERAL (Pelt of Charngar and Everwinter's Master) 

Frostlord on Stonehorn (Ethereal Amulet) 

Huskard on Thundertusk - Blood Vulture 

Huskard on Thundertusk - Blood Vulture 

Battlelines 

Frost Sabres x4 

Frost Sabres x4 

Frost Sabres x4 

Stonehorn Beastriders - Blood Vulture 

Warscroll Battalions: Skal

Total Points: 1990pts

• Like 2

Played the GA: Dest version against Ironjawz today, though I didn't feel confident considering they are a hard counter to beastclaw. They beat us in any straight-up fight, faster and have flying, lots of buffs, and better on objectives. An uphill fight is nothing new for beastclaw though, so let's do it.

My list:

Frostlord, General, Wild Fury, Ghyrestrike

2x Huskard on Thundertusk

Fungoid Cave-Shaman

3x3 Ogors, double weapons, full command

9x Icefall Yhetees

Emerald Lifeswarm

His list:

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha, Aetherquartz Brooch

Warchanter, General, Ironclad, The Dab

Grot Shaman

5x Brutes

3x Gore-Gruntas, rend weapons

5 units of 10 'ardboys, all with rend weapons

'ardfist battalion, Cogs

We rolled Chamon Realm and 3 Places of Arcane Power. I learned that this is a hard battleplan for us. Still, it's not as bad as all the others since bodies don't capture.

We line up pretty standardly, he's got a capturing hero across from each objective, I set-up back for no turn 1 ironjawz charges. Ogor and yeti screens keeping fungoid and frostlord protected behind a huge terrain. He out-drops me and makes me go first, going for that patented turn 2 double.

Round 1: 

My turn is useless so I squiggle around a little and fail to cast mystic shield. Grot with ogor bodyguards start shifting towards left objective but not closer to the orruks and hugging terrains.

His turn he runs halfway up the field with everything, ready to either get charged by everything (and re-summon them if it they die) or win the double and the game.

Round 2: He wins the double and the game.

His turn he summons Cogs, uses 3x Waaghs, gets the charge with everything, including the maw-krusha into frostlord (leaping over yetis and big terrain, my bad) and kills the frostlord full to dead with half his weapons un-used. My only scoring character left is the grot so that's probably game.

My turn the fungoid shuffles towards the left objective and yetis attack maw-krusha, thundertusks have to shoot 'ardboys since they're stuck in combat.

Round 3: 

His turn maw-krusha retreats onto objective and runs heroes up behind 'ardboys ready to scoop up objectives for the second half of the game. Scores 1 point, with another 2 on-deck. All the ogors are stuck in combat.

My turn yetis and thundertusk kill mawkrusha. Ogors fight 'ardboys, while fungoid shaman scores 1 point.

His turn the brutes advance, charge, and boot fungoid shaman off the table. 30 ardboys re-enter the fray thanks to 'ardfist.

Round 4:

He runs onto some objectives and we call it.

Game Notes:

Well what can I say, I got got. The one time I choose a non-defensive artefact for the frostlord and he gets instantly killed. Worse than that I went GA mostly for wild fury (as I've been disappointed in frostlord's damage my last ten games or so). I suppose my consolation is that even with ethereal he would've died there anyhow. Maybe I should've used all 9 yetis and 3 ogors to form a complete ring around him and just crept around the table. Having so few capturing heroes was completely brutal in this battleplan - it reminds me of how hard it is to win on all the other ones with so few bodies, only possibly worse. I liked the Ogors, re-rolling hits of 1 was twice as good as rr1s to wound and only on the charge, and I didn't miss the ironfists (since every orruk had rend which renders them useless). I think they work better than yetis in 3-man units. I got to use the Chamon spell once to give the yetis a 6+ ward that was cool. Nine yetis did well, they fought some ardboys and locked maw-krusha into combat, 3 died, and then the six remaining went and did well to finish him off on the objective. Sometimes it's not about that initial clash, but what you can do afterwards (esp. with a unit that can retreat and pile in). I took 2 thundertusks and lifeswarm to try and keep frostlord+them alive, though of course that didn't play out well when he dies from full.

Full disclosure, my movement was poor throughout the game, it was like my mind was sabotaging me. Every time I was about to move I got it in my head that Heroes capture, and afterwards I'm like 'only if they have an artefact or are a wizard' like two turns in a row. It was early for me, maybe I needed my coffee. -1 to hit on yetis was good, though canceled out by warchanter buff.

My opponent ignored the thundertusks all game. "They just do 6 damage. That's not even good." I thought I'd bring them back out since I've been going mostly stonehorn stacking in 2nd edition, but probably back to the shelf with them, which is sad, because I'm really happy with the gutbuster conversions I've done on them.

Next test: a million yetis I guess

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

An uphill fight is nothing new for beastclaw though, so let's do it.

Having watched a few of your videos now, I find myself rather enjoying your particular brand of bloody-minded pessimism. Life is a struggle for the Beastclaw, but damn it, it's our struggle and we'll own it. Keep it up. :)

The list you ran does seem unusually slow and passive for Beastclaw though, which I imagine could not have helped against Ironjawz. Things like Thundertusks and Ogors are just sitting ducks waiting for the green tide to come and sweep them away.

But then, my Beastclaw tactics aren't very sophisticated. I would have just slammed four Stonehorns into the Ironjaws front line at the top of the first turn, and hoped for the best. :P

• Like 3

Anyone ever use Ironblasters with BCR?  I'm kit bashing some extra mournfang into Ironblasters.

I wish you could take two Ironblasters as one unit... that would make allies a bit more flexible.

I'm thinking something like this:

Frostlord on SH (420) with Ethereal Amulet

Huskard on SH (340) with Vulture

Huskard on TT (360) with Vulture

Mournfang Pack (160)

Mournfang Pack (160)

Stonehorn Beastrider (320) 

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Statistically, taking two should get one to hit each turn.  Ha... but ya know how that goes.

My gaming group is competitive in nature... but also experiments a lot. Plays open war cards, friendly battles, unique bat plans, etc.

• Like 1

Had my first game with Braggoth's Beast Hammer yesterday and I must say the +1 to hit and the double attack is great.

I completely destroyed my friend in turn one. The Bonesplitterz started the game and moved everything up in a sinlge line (stupid move by him). In my turn with the Chronomantic Cogs I could charge everyting into his complete army and with the battalion ablity to attack twice the game was soon over.

My list was:

Frostlord on a stonehorn

Huskard on a Thunderthusk

4 Mournfang

2 Mournfan

3 Gore-Gruntas

3 Gore Gruntas

Butcher

Chronomantic Cogs

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 4:13 AM, ArgyBargy said:

FYI for the above list: Frost Sabres are battleline because the Icebrow Hunter is the General. These guys also go into the Skal battalion, amounting to 5 drops in total for the army. Is this list a way to use kitty cats not 'just for fun', but also a more competitive list? 

I think it would perform well for a full BCR list. Since you already have 3 battleline I don't know what roll the Beastriders battleline will fill for you. Maybe swap the 320 that he costs and 40 points in cats and take a third huskard on TT. But try it out... I think you'll enjoy it as long as you accept the difficulties of full BCR lists.

16 hours ago, Dongilles said:

Had my first game with Braggoth's Beast Hammer yesterday and I must say the +1 to hit and the double attack is great.

I completely destroyed my friend in turn one. The Bonesplitterz started the game and moved everything up in a sinlge line (stupid move by him). In my turn with the Chronomantic Cogs I could charge everyting into his complete army and with the battalion ablity to attack twice the game was soon over.

My list was:

Frostlord on a stonehorn

Huskard on a Thunderthusk

4 Mournfang

2 Mournfan

3 Gore-Gruntas

3 Gore Gruntas

Butcher

Chronomantic Cogs

Where's your third battleline?

On 9/11/2018 at 7:00 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Anyone ever use Ironblasters with BCR?  I'm kit bashing some extra mournfang into Ironblasters.

I wish you could take two Ironblasters as one unit... that would make allies a bit more flexible.

Mournfang Pack (160)

Mournfang Pack (160)

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Statistically, taking two should get one to hit each turn.  Ha... but ya know how that goes.

My gaming group is competitive in nature... but also experiments a lot. Plays open war cards, friendly battles, unique bat plans, etc.

Love the sound of mournfang ironblasters! Would I be able to see a pic? 

I normally run an ironblaster with my fledgling bcr, such an awesome model that fits the army aesthetic quite well. I even broke the curse on my Ironblaster last month and finally managed to hit something in the shooting phase after 1 and a half years of owning the model. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

If he forgot to take one by thinking gores counted he could always swap the huskard for the battleline TT. Would be almost the same list.

Damn I forgot... played alot of 1k games.

I would need to split the mournfang units in 3x2 

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Or 2x3 Mournfang, which would literally be the same list.

well the list would be a bit less powerfull because the 2 mournfang would not be part of the battalion which means an extra drop and no buffs.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Mournfang Pack (160)

Mournfang Pack (160)

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Ironblaster (120) ALLY

Sadly the Ironbalster is not worth its points with only one shot the chance the it misses or only doing 1 damage is just to big.

To bad because the model is so awesome.

all cannons got a huge nerf from 8th to AoS

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Holy ****** the new Ogor box is so nice! Stupidly cheap box as well (cheaper than 3 Bullgors...). If anything you can use it for kitbashing and still have some Ogors left to field! And the new Chaos Warhound box comes with the correct base size for use as Frost Sabres!

The scraplauncher / ironclaster is nice, but not sure if I'll use it. It's cheap though!

Edited by Pitloze
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I was going to try a DoK army, but money and lack of a SC set has gimped that plan sadly. So I'm restarting an Ogre army and doing the much more affordable BCRs! Seems like they're not as competitive as they used to be, but I'm just looking for fun and to enjoy some Ogres again anyways. However, I do like to win sometimes... so I'm curious if this would be a good beatstick 1k army to start with?

Heroes:
Huskard on Stonehorn OR TT (340)(360)
- Blood Vulture 
Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers

980 or 1,000 pts. 

Both Huskards fit into 1k nicely. The Huskard on a Stonehorn seems real good for the Mournfangs, but I like the icyness and buffs of a Huskard on a Tuskard (dang these names...). Which is preferable? Also not sure on traits and artifacts. The Pelt and dispel Skull seem good, but the Realm specific items look nice as well.