AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Don't forget to use the "All Out Attack" command ability from the General's Handbook.  BCR really benefit from the re-roll 1's to hit with our lousy to-hit stats.  Pretty much our only way to boost our # of hits.

Thanks! I think that would be a risky bet though, as you'd want to use the Frostlord's command ability in this situation right?

It would allow all 3 units to get into combat very quickly, as long as they were relatively close.

How do you look this list for a competitive battle of 2000p vs mortal khorne?

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- General
- Chaintrap
- Trait: Massive Bulk
- Artefact: Ice Mammoth Skull Plate
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Option: Chaintrap
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Eurlbad (170)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Edited by Sartxac

On 10/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, Sartxac said:

- General
- Chaintrap
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Eurlbad (170)

If it were me, I'd put the Frostlord on the Stonehorn and the Huskard on the Thundertusk.  In fact, Frostlord on Stonehorn with Ethereal Amulet is basically our best unit.  Also 3x Yhettis are better than 6x Frost Sabres in most situations. Especially against mortal Khorne, your list is practically made for giving him cheap Blood Tithe with all those min Sabre units!

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

If it were me, I'd put the Frostlord on the Stonehorn and the Huskard on the Thundertusk.  In fact, Frostlord on Stonehorn with Ethereal Amulet is basically our best unit.  Also 3x Yhettis are better than 6x Frost Sabres in most situations. Especially against mortal Khorne, your list is practically made for giving him cheap Blood Tithe with all those min Sabre units!

In that case he cannot use Eurlbad Battalion beacause the Eurlbad must be composed by: 1 Huskard on Stonehorn as battalion leader. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 8:38 PM, Sartxac said:

- General
- Chaintrap
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
Eurlbad (170)

I would change Frost Sabres for Yeethees.  6  for 220 are a good bargain, and the Frostlord on Thundertusk for a Frostlord on Stonehorn. 

Change even the realm l would use Asqhy to have the Termalrider Cloak and the Ignax Scale on the two Stonehorns... 

A Stonehorn with Termalrider Cloak is very useful better the the Frostlord on Thundertusk.  

3 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

In that case he cannot use Eurlbad Battalion beacause the Eurlbad must be composed by: 1 Huskard on Stonehorn as battalion leader. 

True. That's why I like the Frostlord on Stonehorn in addition to the Huskard. I realize that's more points.  I tend to shy away from Thundertusks as overrated anyway.  If you are going the Thundertusk route, it's better to have multiple ones anyway.  The way I play it, it's either all hard-hitting melee - meaning Stonehorns, Yhettis and Mournfang OR  multipleThundertusks at range screened by other stuff.  In my experience, when I try to do a little bit of both, it is not as effective as doing one of the two all-out.  Probably just my preference/play style.

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

True. That's why I like the Frostlord on Stonehorn in addition to the Huskard. I realize that's more points.  I tend to shy away from Thundertusks as overrated anyway.  If you are going the Thundertusk route, it's better to have multiple ones anyway.  The way I play it, it's either all hard-hitting melee - meaning Stonehorns, Yhettis and Mournfang OR  multipleThundertusks at range screened by other stuff.  In my experience, when I try to do a little bit of both, it is not as effective as doing one of the two all-out.  Probably just my preference/play style.

I totally agree.

Hello guys, I'm planning on building and painting a Yhetees heavy list. The plan is to snipe threatening units with 3 Blasts of Frost first turn, If we dont get first turn (and Thundertusks are hurt) we can heal them with the 2 Blizzard Speakers that will go off on a 2+ most of times to deal the 6 auto MW . All the yhetees can Run and Charge being near any Thundertsk and Frost Sabres can pull aggro before piling in with the yhetees to keep them safe. Few doubts I have:

• Is Everwinter's Master the most optimal command trait?
  • Is the lack of magic very punishing?
  • For the Artefect, Is it better the The Pelt of Charngar or MW protection like Ignax Scales?

Here's the list:

Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture
6 x Icefall Yhetees (220)

2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Total: 2000/ 2000
Extra Command Points: 0

3 hours ago, Belakor said:

Hello guys, I'm planning on building and painting a Yhetees heavy list. The plan is to snipe threatening units with 3 Blasts of Frost first turn, If we dont get first turn (and Thundertusks are hurt) we can heal them with the 2 Blizzard Speakers that will go off on a 2+ most of times to deal the 6 auto MW . All the yhetees can Run and Charge being near any Thundertsk and Frost Sabres can pull aggro before piling in with the yhetees to keep them safe. Few doubts I have:

• For the Artefect, Is it better the The Pelt of Charngar or MW protection like Ignax Scales?

Here's the list:

- General
- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture

2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Great list! I would love to try this!

For your questions:

• Everwinter's Master isn't great, honestly. Considering that you want to keep your FLoTT alive for as long as possible, Massive Bulk may be better. 
  • All BCR will struggle against magic. Taking a Fungoid or two might help, but not a whole lot. This is one of the pitfalls of playing BCR, so yes, you may be weak against magic, but any list that you make will be. 
  • Your list's melee strength is very middle-of-the-road. Most Rend (not all, but a decent chunk of it) comes from melee attacks. Ethereal Amulet is great on a FLoSH, which is used in melee, but not necessary on a FLoTT, which still stays back to snipe. MWs also frequently come from melee, so Ignax's scales isn't the way to go. The Pelt of Charngar would provide healing on top of what was already being done by the Huskards, so I think that that would be a good choice.

As for the list itself, I think it's FANTASTIC! I've seen many a BCR list implement the Frost Sabre or the 3-Thundertusk strategy, but never combined nor done this well. Awesome!

4 hours ago, Belakor said:

Here's the list:

- General
- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture

2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

I like it! 

My only concern, a practical one, would be if you don't already own the models. I would be hesitant to buy that many Yhetees. Because they are finecast, I am worried that they will be removed from the new Mawtribes Battletome.  Purely speculation on my part. Come to think of it, same thing would apply to the Sabres as well.

Edited by annarborhawk

23 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

I don't have any yhetty because maybe in the future batteltome they woul be out fired.

I thing like you, the Thunderusks ar very overcosted. For 300-420p they only have one shoot attack while they don't receive more of 3 points of Damage (6MH vs 3.5MH in average). In a charge the frolstlord on this mount do this melee damage in average:

3   3,74
4   5,07
5   6,39
6   7,72

The first column is the salvation of the enemy unit and the second the average damage. Whithout charge... He does only:

3   3,39
4   4,59
5   5,80
6   7,00

While a bloodthirster of 270p whithout charge does:

3     8,194444444
4     9,409722222
5     10,625
6     10,625

more mortal bounds in its surroundings. And can fly and have best faction abalities. But i use this mounster because can kill a important mortal khorne hero with only one shoot in 18".

A frostlord on Stonehorn does:

3   9,06 13,45
4   11,81 16,49
5   14,57 19,53
6   16,33 21,48

First columns it the enemy salvation, second the average damage and the thirstly the average in a charge.  Is good, but is a hero of 420p, in comparisson with other actual big monster is a bit worst (less damage, bad movility, poor command ability, only a good skill for split the enemy damage...).

For other band the huskard on Stonehorn with the Euribad (1 point of damage for his melee weapons that includes the mount) does:

3   9,14 15,59
4   11,89 17,61
5   14,64 20,04
6   16,06 22,12

Similar average damage but better ability for does attack firstly one unit of 4 stonehorns. Hold a little number of attacks but cost less points and the idea is use his big power in charge for strategyc moments.

Edited by Sartxac

On 10/17/2019 at 11:25 AM, Belakor said:

Here's the list:

- General
- Blood Vulture

- Blood Vulture

2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Extra Command Points: 

That list sounds very fun to play.

In my opinion the weak points of your list are the lack of magic and the fact that you Will suffer against hordes. 

You can try to solve both problems hiring a Fungoid Cave Shaman, (it's useful even for Command Points generation) and the Mork's Mighty Mushroom. 

I would take out the Frostlord on Thundertusk, for another Huskard on Thundertusk (to have triple Blizzard Speaker). 

2 hours ago, Belakor said:

Well good thing I did not buy the yhetees yet! So what do you think about this new book? Will Beastclaw Raiders get good rules? Do you think the can remove the yhetees from the game? Did something like that happen with the Orruk Warclans book?

1 hour ago, Pitloze said:

It did not happen with the Orruks book but it did happen with the Cities book.

The Orruks book did not remove any warscrolls. However, there were only 3 warscrolls with finecast models (the 3 savage orc characters). Would have been pretty infeasible to remove all of the heroes for BS.

Cities removed a ton of warscrolls with models who were either old plastics or finecast. The difference was that for each unit type they removed there was a similar unit with a newer plastic which was kept.

All old plastics and finecasts are always on the chopping block. Just a matter of time before they remove or replace all of it. I would think that the butcher and the firebelly are pretty safe this time around. I worry about yhetees and hunters. But who knows. I had thought they would remove gnoblars but it does not appear they will.