AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/6/2019 at 8:13 PM, Hyperrion said:

Hello!

So, I'm going to try to get into AoS soon and I really like the beastclaw raiders. I would like to go and play some tournaments, and since I know that in my area they are played mainly on 1000pts, I would really like if you would give me some C&C on this list.

Frostlord on Stonehorn

2x Mournfang cavalry

Thundertusk beastriders

2x Frost sabers

2x Frost sabers

Tactic is to basically charge with the frostlord and Mournfangs as soon as possible, while Thundertusk providing some range attacks. Frost sabres to hold objectives.
I was thinking about swapping the Thundertusk for another stonehorn, but I think that it is better to have some range dedicated unit.
So, what do you guys think? I'm obviously a noob, so any help is really apprecieted.

PS. Sorry for my english. Really.

Whilst I agree that buy nothing is the optimal stance for competitive play until we have seen the new book, that doesn’t help you if you’re new to AoS and want to play beastclaw! Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong buying a couple of start collecting boxes, the models in those are unlikely to go anywhere. 

If you can magnetise the large beasts, that will give you more options in the future, but if not build a frostlord on stonehorn! Everyone wants one. 

Then you can run:

Frostlord on stonehorn

4x mournfang

4x mournfang

for 980 points, until the new book comes out :) 

You can replace 4x mournfang with stonehorn riders for 1k exactly, if you want to go that route. Getting a thundertusk in requires more revision, however. Personally, I like the combination of frostlord on stonehorn with some thundertusk too, but I wouldn’t advise investing in yhetees to get it done for the points, for the same reasons that @PlasticCraic suggests you don’t invest in frost sabres. Their future is uncertain. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:20 PM, AthlorianStoners said:

So what expected changes to BCR would fusing them with Gitbusters lead to, just in terms of increased options and play style? 

The army loses it's Everwinter flavour, and becomes Ogre Kingdoms 2.0

I don't mind them being in the same book and having an overarching combined option, but good god I hope we can still take Guts or BCR completely in isolation with fluffy rules.

Orruk book will tell us a lot, because Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz both currently have clearly defined and separate identities.

Edited by Kyriakin

8 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

The army loses it's Everwinter flavour, and becomes Ogre Kingdoms 2.0

I don't mind them being in the same book and having an overarching combined option, but good god I hope we can still take Guts or BCR completely in isolation with fluffy rules.

Orruk book will tell us a lot, because Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz both currently have clearly defined and separate identities.

The army couldn't loses his everwintes flavour. You will could paint the gutbusters with snow in his bases. That's what i do with my 9 ogors.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Does anyone have experience magnetizing the arms on Frostlords/huskarls? I've got the rest of the monster done, but I have no idea how to approach the actual ogre.

It's a pain in the .... 

Best thing is to magnetize it on the hands.

5 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Does anyone have experience magnetizing the arms on Frostlords/huskarls? I've got the rest of the monster done, but I have no idea how to approach the actual ogre.

Because you still get two riders in the kit, I just built 2 and swap them as needed; you get the different options too. They even sit on ok, but much easier to magnetise the butt to the saddle.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:17 AM, KriticalKhan said:

Hoard o Bits sometimes sells bodies with legs and no head/arms for  cheap. I bought 6 extra sets, and just made extra guys using the arms you would otherwise need to magnetize. Check eBay for em and you will probably get lucky.

For what it's worth, I've played 8 meeting engagement games over the last few weeks with BCR and went 6-2.

Spearhead: 2x Mournfang; 3x Yehttis

Mainbody: Frostlord on Stonehorn (ethereal amulet; Everwinter's Master); 4x Mournfang

Rearguard: 2xFrostsabres

The small board and victory point conditions really seem to favor us over matched play.  The format also seems to favor self-sufficient units.

Anyway, nice to have something we can be good at!

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Excited, but nervous too. Might this mean the Tyrant was not for a new BattleTome, but just for Underworlds. Do we know for sure that Mawtribes is going to be a thing?

We do, GW confirmed that there'd be a battletome at NOVA. Low detail otherwise but the fact that they showed the BCR and other ogres together in the display case does suggest that they'll be joined in one book.

The Tyrant is definitely not for Underworlds, he's got a regular AoS base, not the sculpted one all Underworlds models come with.

Just came back from my first 1250pts game with the BCR´s (from my Ghostly-BCR-Project). It was quite an amazing game, pretty close till the end. We played the mission from the old GHB which has 3 Objectives in the middle and every turn a different one is worth 3 CP. My opponent played Nighthaunt, a Chainrasp list with a Black Coach and an allied zombie dragon. I´ve played Thundertusk Riders, 2x Mournfangs with Ironfist and 4x Mournfangs with Gargant Hackers, led by my Frostlord on Stonehorn.

All in all the game was a lot of fun, we had several amazing rolls. I´ve managed to get ahead in VP quite fast and tought the game was safe, but in the End the Chainrasp-Swarms and the Coach were too much to handle.  I´ve noticed the missing Invuln against Mortals and the total lack of Retreat+Charge makes the tactical decisions with the BCR´s quite narrow as once we charged we can be kept busy quite easily.

I look forward to a potential merge with the Gutbusters. Also a new tome which allows to add a bit more through an alligience could really add tons to the army.

We´ve speculated after the game, which Ogor Units may be included in a potential Army-Box, beside the new Tyrant Sculp. Do you have any guesses? I could imagine 2 Mournfangs to be included, too.

Greetings, I am new to this army and I have made my first list for a game tomorrow. Can you tell me what do you think?

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales 
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Chaintrap
- Blood Vulture
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- General
- Command Trait : Everwinter's Master 
UNITS
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 86
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 AR

Edited by antoara

On 9/19/2019 at 10:54 AM, antoara said:

Greetings, I am new to this army and I have made my first list for a game tomorrow. Can you tell me what do you think?

LEADERS
- Chaintrap
- Blood Vulture
- General
UNITS
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers

Hi @antoara!

A few things:  Nice job knowing to equip the Gargant Hackers on. They're very good.  You also picked some good choices for the artefact and command trait.

Otherwise: I would try to put Mournfang in groups of 4 whenever possible, though 3 units of 2 may suffice.

Also, Stonehorns and Thundertusks are difficult to work together. Stonehorns are ultimately better, so consider that for the future. Huskards on TT is no great, so I would take 1 and put in some Yhetees. The Frostlord on TT however is good and can work with the Stonehorn, so that's good. I think this list could do good if you can adequately protect your TTs.

Good luck!

On 9/20/2019 at 6:07 PM, MKsmash said:

Hi @antoara!

A few things:  Nice job knowing to equip the Gargant Hackers on. They're very good.  You also picked some good choices for the artefact and command trait.

Otherwise: I would try to put Mournfang in groups of 4 whenever possible, though 3 units of 2 may suffice.

Also, Stonehorns and Thundertusks are difficult to work together. Stonehorns are ultimately better, so consider that for the future. Huskards on TT is no great, so I would take 1 and put in some Yhetees. The Frostlord on TT however is good and can work with the Stonehorn, so that's good. I think this list could do good if you can adequately protect your TTs.

Good luck!

On 9/19/2019 at 10:54 AM, antoara said:

LEADERS
- Chaintrap
- Blood Vulture
- General
UNITS
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers

I hope you magnetized the horns for the thundertusks/stonehorns! Who knows what the new the book will do to the warscrolls!  Personally, I vastly prefer to run all Stonehorns - a big problem we have is we have few models, and we need to keep them alive as long as possible. Stonehorns are pretty damn hard to kill.  For the same reason I prefer the Ethereal Amulet on the Frostlord on Stonehorn so that 3+ save is unrendible.  I guess if you know you up against an army that dishes out a lot of mortal wounds, then the 4+ save vs. mortals might be the way to go.

Remember also that the Thundertusk frost wreathed ice attack was FAQ'd to count in all ways as a shooting attack, meaning we can no longer run and shoot with it to increase range. 

If you go the route you have, I would recommend downgrading the Frostlord thundertusk to Thundertusk beastriders. It will save 100 points, and then you  can have one unit of mournfang at 4. They are better in 4's. I think that will give you enough left over points for a unit of Yhetee's - which are awesome. You need as many bodies as you can to screen the 3x thundertusks.  

Don't forget the "All out attack" command ability from the GHB. We desperately need any thing we can get to buff the to-hit role. 

I have disobeyed you and i complete my army of Beastclaw Raiders more Gutbusters for this next batteltome.

This is my complete army:

Allegiance: Destruction
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Chaintrap
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogor Club
9 x Ogors (360)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
8 x Frost Sabres (160)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Gargant Hackers
6 x Leadbelchers (280)
3 x Ironguts (180)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Total: 4200 / 2000

In the next weeks, I will be putting photos with my work of painting and building.

I will soon be doing a 3-round Doubles Tournament with a Seraphon player. Each battle is 2000 points, each side made up of two 1000-point armies. We figured that he would bring magic, teleportation, and general shenanigans. I would be playing BCR (or possibly Gutbusters, not sure if that would be better). so I would be bringing the big fat targets. I have a few lists made, but I'm not sure whether or not they would be optimal . Any help or critiques would be much appreciated!

My possible lists:

1. FLoSH (ethereal amulet) 420

HoTT (general, everwinter's master) 360

Yhetees 110 

Yhetees 110

2. FLoSH (general, ethereal amulet, everwinter's master) 420

SB (blood vulture) 300

Mournfang Pack 4x (gargant hackers) 280

3. HoSH (general, ethereal amulet, everwinters master) 320

SB (blood vulture) 300

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (ally) 90

17 hours ago, MKsmash said:

I will soon be doing a 3-round Doubles Tournament with a Seraphon player. Each battle is 2000 points, each side made up of two 1000-point armies. We figured that he would bring magic, teleportation, and general shenanigans. I would be playing BCR (or possibly Gutbusters, not sure if that would be better). so I would be bringing the big fat targets. I have a few lists made, but I'm not sure whether or not they would be optimal . Any help or critiques would be much appreciated!

My possible lists:

1. FLoSH (ethereal amulet) 420

HoTT (general, everwinter's master) 360

Yhetees 110 

Yhetees 110

2. FLoSH (general, ethereal amulet, everwinter's master) 420

SB (blood vulture) 300

3. HoSH (general, ethereal amulet, everwinters master) 320

SB (blood vulture) 300

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (ally) 90

List #2 is truest to what BCR are suppose to be, IMHO.  Might also be a good mix w/Seraphon. You will play very aggressively and directly, which will force a direct answer, while your partner can dance around and score objectives, etc...