AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

I am totally convinced that Ogors and BCR will be together in the same book, just as the Cities of Sigmar new battletlome does.

100% agree. Put the ranges together and we are a proper army, shocker xD.

So long as BCR remain a distinct playstyle for you guys as a tribe with hopefully some special rules, well us busters getting the option for cav and monsters, I see this as an absolute win.

That being said, yeti are back in the pool... can we disinvited them? 

• Like 1

Riding the hype, trying to get more games in. Played into Legions of Nagash yesterday, with my opponent running Nagash himself vs me running a Jorlbad (1 beastriders, 8 and 2 mournfang) + Frostlord on Stonehorn. I got some turn 1 charges off and knocked Nagash down to 1 wound, killed a unit of screening zombies, and dropped a character. From there it was a pretty handy route, while I lost one Huskard and 2 Mournfang models while tabling his army by the end of round 3. I love this army.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, Someone2 said:

So new Gutbusters, perhaps a combined tome for BCR and GB? 

Let's hope for it, we sure could use some sweet love!

I would say it would be another combined book. It's just faster to get these factions updated that way and less books overall is a good thing.

Went to Midwest Meltdown this weekend with 115 players, took BCR, went 3-2! Full report on the next show, but forum version:

Took a fun (but tuned) list instead of an optimized one since the difference isn't terribly large in outcome. Decided to take mournfang even though they suck because they're cheaper now at 140 and I haven't played with them in over a year and just wanted to for fun.

• Frostlord on Stonehorn, general, everwinter, ethereal.
  • Huskard on Stonehorn, Sepulchural Plate, Vulture
  • 4 Mournfang, gargant hackers
  • 4 Mournfang, gargant hackers
  • Stonehorn Beastriders, vulture, harpoon
  • 3 Yhetees
  • 3 Yhetees
  • Eurlbad
  • 1990pts

Round 1 vs Khorne, strong tyrants of blood list.

• Killed halo of blood thirster with vultures and impact damage from stonehorns to stop strikes first nonsense then won on points while almost getting tabled.
  • MF were pretty good against blood warriors/reavers/other min sized weak chaff.

Round 2 vs LoN, legion of blood with immortal vlozd and like 100 bodies.

• Out-dropped him so I could split his forces and pin some. 
  • MF were devoured trivially and just missed a lot.
  • If I win t2 prio I win the game: nope.
  • If I win t3 prio I win the game: nope.
  • Major Loss

Round 3 vs Khorne, mortals list. Ghur with primal violence, so at end of combat a 6+ repeats the whole combat phase.

• Out-dropped him, let him go first. He moved up, so my turn I charged everything and killed a bunch.
  • Won the double then killed a bunch.
  • Rolled a 6 to repeat the combat and was close enough to other stuff to kill basically the rest of his army.
  • MF are alright if they pile in and attack 3x before your opponent gets another turn.
  • Major Victory

Round 4 vs Fyreslayers on lords of the lodge. Duality so I'm screwed.

• Out-drop him and have to go first or he tunnels a 30-blob to objectives and I lose no matter what.
  • Get my secondary and turtle up on objectives.
  • He charges me on both points turn 1 and kills huskard from full and also beastriders and also 3 yetis. I kill one fyreslayer model.
  • Turn 2 I have 4 mournfang on one obj (but not controlled because numbers), and a triple chaff-screen of 3 yetis, then 3" behind them 4 mournfang, then 3" behind them frostlord.
  • He rolls a big charge and kills the 3 yetis and all 4 mournfang, then piles in a second time to put frostlord at half life. Other point's 4 mournfang killed outright. I kill 2 fyreslayer models.
  • He's up on points and I have 1 model alive and he wins prio so we call it and have a laugh.
  • Major Loss

Round 5 vs Skaven. jezzails and good stuff, but no pestilens nor rat trap (he said he doesn't want people to hate him).

• A long, difficult game where I win on points because yetis are good. MF were 1-turn speedbumps for 280pts, fully eaten by verminlord and the other 4 were outdamaged by 3 yetis and then also eaten by verminlord.
  • Major Victory

Props: 

• Yetis greatly helped me win 2 games (especially vs skaven)
  • Frostlord w/ ethereal being the only truly good thing in the entire faction. Pulled his weight every game.
  • Being only 4-drop directly helped me win 2 games and gave me a chance in the 2 I lost.
  • Not having wizards didn't hurt me at all, and in fact was a good thing every round.
  • Domas for being the darling of midwest aos TOs.

Slops:

• Eurlbad mortal wound proc was extremely infrequent and didn't matter.
  • Eurlbad Huskard does good damage on paper, but just missed a lot instead with no frostspear to counteract charting. His 4+ save was such a liability, he just got bodied by anything that swung at him all day.
  • Sepulchural Plate for being useless lol
  • Mourfang for proving again and again that they manage to be both bad hammers and bad anvils, and too slow, and too elite. Gore-grunta or ishlaen guard they are not - but morrsarr guard or enlightened they are also not. Just worse than yetis in all situations, even at 140.

Very fun event, would go again, would bring BCR again because I love BCR. Really hoping we don't drown in the soup when the new tome arrives.

Edited by heywoah_twitch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, AthlorianStoners said:

So what expected changes to BCR would fusing them with Gitbusters lead to, just in terms of increased options and play style? 

No more allying in Butchers, or Firebellies for that matter, so magic becomes a bit more accessible.

Cheaper battleline in Bulls at the least, so points are saved to spend on the big beasties.

Grots could provide a cheap screen for your heavy hitters.

No idea what Man-eaters and Tyrants could brings depends on the warscroll.

6 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

So what expected changes to BCR would fusing them with Gitbusters lead to, just in terms of increased options and play style? 

If the Butcher no longer had to be allied in and the Cauldron was changed to be a choice,  the consistent +1 to hit on Mournfang might make them a lot more reasonable.

If the Tyrants battleshock immunity affected Ogors instead of Gutbusters it might make a maxed out Deathstar unit of Mournfang an option. 

That's a lot of if's though.

I'd settle for our Ironfists being changed to mortals on unmodified 6s to save for all Ogors with access to them though.

I'm wondering what the "Free" terrain piece would be. Some kind of rotting meat/bone pile to draw in reinforcements? Some sort of chance at  a kind of "summoning" would be cool.  Or maybe some sort of Ogor encampment that lets units heal if w/in a certain distance?

I'm putting the cart well before the horse . I just acquired a huge Ogor army which I'm painting to match my BCR.  

Hello, i'm getting an army of beastclaw raiders more gutbusters with this units:

Allegiance: Destruction
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
9 x Ogors (360)
- Ogor Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
1 x Ironblaster (120)
6 x Ironguts (360)
3 x Leadbelchers (140)
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Anyone know if any of this units could be eliminated of age of sigmar? When this armyes will  join in the same army?

I play competitive games but i love this models. I would like a competitive batteltome with this units.

Edited by Sartxac

@heywoah_twitch great write up, really interesting read.

It seems like we sort of struggle to find a suitable artefact to put after using our first one on ethereal amulet. 

What do y'all think about taking the Blade of All-Frost on a Eurlbad Huskard? It would make his punches and kicks damage 3, pretty much a slightly worse frostlord spear with no rend but the added effect the fight last possibility.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, Walrustaco said:

@heywoah_twitch great write up, really interesting read.

It seems like we sort of struggle to find a suitable artefact to put after using our first one on ethereal amulet. 

What do y'all think about taking the Blade of All-Frost on a Eurlbad Huskard? It would make his punches and kicks damage 3, pretty much a slightly worse frostlord spear with no rend but the added effect the fight last possibility.

That second artifact is tricky. I reverted to Tokens of Everwinter on the Huskard I think (for that one turn at least in which it counts) it makes him a pretty hard hitter. I think we get more out of that than the Blade of All-Frost.

• Thanks 1

Hello!

So, I'm going to try to get into AoS soon and I really like the beastclaw raiders. I would like to go and play some tournaments, and since I know that in my area they are played mainly on 1000pts, I would really like if you would give me some C&C on this list.

Frostlord on Stonehorn

2x Mournfang cavalry

Thundertusk beastriders

2x Frost sabers

2x Frost sabers

Tactic is to basically charge with the frostlord and Mournfangs as soon as possible, while Thundertusk providing some range attacks. Frost sabres to hold objectives.
I was thinking about swapping the Thundertusk for another stonehorn, but I think that it is better to have some range dedicated unit.
So, what do you guys think? I'm obviously a noob, so any help is really apprecieted.

PS. Sorry for my english. Really.

@Hyperrion honestly my best advice would be to not buy anything at all just yet.

The Ogor Mawtribes have been teased, and that may well have implications for Beastclaw.  We don't know what will be even part of the game then, e.g. the Frost Sabres you have mentioned might get deleted from the range because they are Finecast.  Maybe not, but we just don't know.

Anything you buy now, before we know the details of Mawtribes is taking a risk.  A given unit might not be optimal / competitive or in any way viable...or it might get deleted from the game entirely.  

My honest advice is to buy nothing.

15 hours ago, Hyperrion said:

Hello!

So, I'm going to try to get into AoS soon and I really like the beastclaw raiders. I would like to go and play some tournaments, and since I know that in my area they are played mainly on 1000pts, I would really like if you would give me some C&C on this list.

Frostlord on Stonehorn

2x Mournfang cavalry

Thundertusk beastriders

2x Frost sabers

2x Frost sabers

Tactic is to basically charge with the frostlord and Mournfangs as soon as possible, while Thundertusk providing some range attacks. Frost sabres to hold objectives.
I was thinking about swapping the Thundertusk for another stonehorn, but I think that it is better to have some range dedicated unit.
So, what do you guys think? I'm obviously a noob, so any help is really apprecieted.

PS. Sorry for my english. Really.

Same as above I advise to wait till the new ogre tome. No telling if and what will be changed.

Mournfang really need 4-6 models to really work. Ideally 4 due to point costs of everything.

At these points I would advise swapping the thundertusk for another Stonehorn. Forces the opponent to choose instead of focus 1 turn to negate your melee power.