AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

36 minutes ago, Fabint said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the new GHB isn't the 6" auto run gone?

The old classics are still available (reroll charges, auto run 6 and auto pass battleshock), they’re just in the core rules, not the GHB

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 2:31 AM, Kyriakin said:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar 
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
6 x Icefall Yhetees (220)
6 x Icefall Yhetees (220)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (110)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
- Allies
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
- Allies
Skal (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 196

Ohhh I like this similar to my idea but with even more bodies!

Interested as to why the cats in 4s though and also why the pelt over wraith bow?

On 7/5/2019 at 2:04 AM, Reuben Parker said:

Ohhh I like this similar to my idea but with even more bodies!

Interested as to why the cats in 4s though and also why the pelt over wraith bow?

Just to save space, lol.

I am not aware of any advantage in not taking cats in 2's, and a few downsides to boot (i.e. taking them in 2's allows you to lessen received damage through overkills).

Anyone used any contrast paints on the Beastclaw units yet? I'm planning to paint my entire 2-3K BCR army with the contrast paints due to the large ogre skin surfaces and the huge furs.

Interested in seeing other peoples progress with the contrast paints on ogres and bcr for references and ideas.

When my army is done, I will post an update for you guys, will be 2-3 months I think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Newbie BCR help required. Mournfangs, as they currently are, clubs and hackers or gargant hackers?

Hackers, always hackers. Better numbers when looking at statistics, plus big wrapons always look cool😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

Ok, so another newbie question, does anyone run the FW Bonegrinder Gargant as an ally?

The model is cool and seems pretty decent as smashing stuff, but am aware that at 400pts it leaves no room from butchers as wizards.

Well, considering the point costs of other BCR models, that's not a big barrier 😃

However, it is a bit slow and unreliable, as well as expensive, so I wouldn't do it. Additionally, adding Wizards in Beastclaw isn't always the best option. There's not enough Generic Wizards in Destruction that would be worth allying in, excepting maybe the Fungoid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

I have ordered the model because it a big **** off giant 😂. Is the fungoid still able to be allied in, as it doesn't have any of the keywords for BCR allies from the new GHB19?

You can ally the Fungoid in every Destruction army, even in BCR army.

The  Butcher is too much expensive for what he does.  The Fungoid is 50 points cheaper and he can use all the Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells.  😉

• Like 1

Morning all! I have been considering beastclaws as a potential new army (Because destruction is the only grand alliance I don't currently have anything from!) Whilst I know they are long due for an update I'd love for anyone to give any good pointers toward a good way to start collecting them. I'd presume the start collecting box would do them well? And is it better/more fun to go pure monster mash or do their yhetees, cats and cavalry do them well?

Edited by Lightbox

So with the point reduction I've been trying mess about with some pure BCR after a few months of playing Mixed Destruction and I was wondering if this list would be any good? The idea is using the Icebrow Hunter for cheap 3rd battle line/2nd Aretfact holder and then using the extra points to grab Fungoids for CP generation and Unbind. 

The group I play with are still slowly expanding the rules we use so we haven't started using Realm Artifacts yet which is a bit of a limiting factor. The other armies (in case it matters) are Nighthaunt, Idoneth Deepkin, Maggotkin of Nurgle & Seraphon. 

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420) - Artefact :  The Pelt of Charngar  
Icebrow Hunter (120) - General - Command Trait : Everwinter's Master  - Artefact :  Ice Mammoth Skull Plate 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
UNITS
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280) - Gargant Hackers
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280) - Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140) - Pig-iron Choppas
BATTALIONS
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

TOTAL: 1970/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 4/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 1/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 180/400

I haven't played with Gore Gruntas yet so I wasn't sure on best load out for them in the 6man unit.

Edited by HostilSpike

9 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Morning all! I have been considering beastclaws as a potential new army (Because destruction is the only grand alliance I don't currently have anything from!) Whilst I know they are long due for an update I'd love for anyone to give any good pointers toward a good way to start collecting them. I'd presume the start collecting box would do them well? And is it better/more fun to go pure monster mash or do their yhetees, cats and cavalry do them well?

I'd start buying 1 or 2 "Start collecti g".  

Then if you would play a pure Beastclaw Raiders army I would buy some Yethees, a Fungoid Cave Shaman (used as ally). 

Remember to magnetize the heads of the big monsters to have both options : Thundertusk and Stonehorn. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HostilSpike said:

So with the point reduction I've been trying mess about with some pure BCR after a few months of playing Mixed Destruction and I was wondering if this list would be any good? The idea is using the Icebrow Hunter for cheap 3rd battle line/2nd Aretfact holder and then using the extra points to grab Fungoids for CP generation and Unbind. 

The group I play with are still slowly expanding the rules we use so we haven't started using Realm Artifacts yet which is a bit of a limiting factor. The other armies (in case it matters) are Nighthaunt, Idoneth Deepkin, Maggotkin of Nurgle & Seraphon. 

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420) - Artefact :  The Pelt of Charngar  
Icebrow Hunter (120) - General - Command Trait : Everwinter's Master  - Artefact :  Ice Mammoth Skull Plate 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
UNITS
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280) - Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140) - Pig-iron Choppas
BATTALIONS
Braggoth's Beast Hammer (230)

TOTAL: 1970/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 4/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 1/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 180/400

I haven't played with Gore Gruntas yet so I wasn't sure on best load out for them in the 6man unit.

I like your list. In my opinion the Goregruntas are better in 3. 

Saving 140 points you will be able to ally some Grots to keep objectives or some useful Endless Spells like Mork's Mighty Mushroom or Arachnacauldron (to have Itchy Nuissance). 

3 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

I like your list. In my opinion the Goregruntas are better in 3. 

Saving 140 points you will be able to ally some Grots to keep objectives or some useful Endless Spells like Mork's Mighty Mushroom or Arachnacauldron (to have Itchy Nuissance). 

Cheers. The logic on the 6 Gore Gruntas was to try and maximize the spread/recipients of the Braggoth +1 Hit Buff. 

If I drop the Fungoid (to get below 1/4 ally limit) and the 3 GGs that gives enough room for 40 Grots and Arachnacauldron which does seems like a much more rounded list.

2 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

Cheers. The logic on the 6 Gore Gruntas was to try and maximize the spread/recipients of the Braggoth +1 Hit Buff. 

If I drop the Fungoid (to get below 1/4 ally limit) and the 3 GGs that gives enough room for 40 Grots and Arachnacauldron which does seems like a much more rounded list.

In AoS, unfortunately for Beastclaws, the hero phase has become much more important than in the past. So we need to add to our lists something like Fungoid and useful endless spells.  

39 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

In AoS, unfortunately for Beastclaws, the hero phase has become much more important than in the past. So we need to add to our lists something like Fungoid and useful endless spells.  

Actually, I disagree. While CP may be slightly more important for using the new generic command abilities, subbing in a couple Fungoids ultimately won't help. Two unbinds isnt enough to stop any magic-based army, so thats not worth it. Endless Spells, especially predatory ones, will ultimately be not worth it. Only the CP would allow Fungoids to be worth it. I think a pure BCR list, not counting the Beast Hammer of course, can still be very competitive without spellcasting.

The fact is, everyone knows BCR are underpowered and not very competitive. Therefore, not as many people know how BCR works. They don't prepare armies to deal with things like 4 Stonehorns. Their underestimating alone can be a huge advantage for us.

We can show others, through simple Alpha Strikes and big-@$$ mammoths , that we are a force to be reckoned with, without the help of unnecessary things such as spells.