AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

You still can't play Olwyr at 2k... Lame. Lowest I can make it is 2010...ffs.

Um, what? Olwyr can be done.

420 FLoTT

320 HoSH

140 Mournfang

140 Mournfang

140 Mournfang

300 SHBR

170 Eurlbad

Edited by MKsmash

37 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

Um, what? Olwyr can be done.

420 FLoTT

320 HoSH

140 Mournfang

140 Mournfang

140 Mournfang

300 SHBR

170 Eurlbad

I mean playable as in actually worth it playable. Olwyr with 2 man mournfang is not worth the points. You might as well go Eurlbad now because you can get a decent list in at 1950 with 2x4 mournfang.

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

I mean playable as in actually worth it playable. Olwyr with 2 man mournfang is not worth the points. You might as well go Eurlbad now because you can get a decent list in at 1950 with 2x4 mournfang.

What list would that be? Sorry I'm not familiar with the Eurlbad, I'll check it out.

9 hours ago, Xasto said:

What list would that be? Sorry I'm not familiar with the Eurlbad, I'll check it out.

Eurlbad with new points:

Huskard on Stonehorn : 320 (with Ethereal amulet or Thermal rider cloak)

Stonehorn Beastrider : 300

Stonehorn Beastriders : 300

Stonehorn Beastriders: 300

2x4 Mournfang riders: 280

2x4 Mournfang riders: 280

Eurlbad : 170

Total

You get 1 CP from the battalion and 1 cp from being 50 under 2k. Starting with 2 CP and being 1 drop is decent. If you see a chance to get a good alpha strike in, take the first turn. If not give it away and alpha strike on your turn and hope that your opponent left a flank exposed. Use the 3 CP (you will get one on your turn) to turn any run roll into a 6 for the Stonehorns and try to explode stuff of the table.

I didn't bother bringing in any magic. 1 Butcher might have been nice to maybe get a lucky roll on the cauldron and get 1+ to hit. But with Eurlbad you do enough average damage that it doesn't matter. And with no +1 to casting and unbinds (and Butchers cant have artefacts as allies) you don't really do much.

Personally I would give the Huskard the cloak and use him to snipe something expensive off the board. His ability to make Mournfang attack after he attacked doesn't work well in Eurlbad because the Mournfang can't keep up with him. But in Eurlbad he does do 1 more damage (which also counts for the Stonehorn) so he can do a lot of damage. Also, always take Everwinters Master and always reroll the winter dice if it's not a 1 or a 2. You always want that reroll 1's for save rolls.

Edited by Pitloze
  • Like 1

So played a game today running new points on a new scenario, not sure which one (I didn't grab the book). The objectives worked such that once you got a battleline to them uncontested they held it until they left or were killed (numbers didn't matter).

I ran a Jorlbad with 2x6 Mournfang, 2x Stonehorn, and a Huskard on Stonehorn. Got the mournfangs onto objectives first thing and held them until the end of the game, playing vs a Khorne mix of daemons and mortals. Was a bit of a route with the new command abilities stopping my opponent from auto-passing morale and being unable to use bodies to take my objective. 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:41 AM, Fabint said:

So played a game today running new points on a new scenario, not sure which one (I didn't grab the book). The objectives worked such that once you got a battleline to them uncontested they held it until they left or were killed (numbers didn't matter).

I ran a Jorlbad with 2x6 Mournfang, 2x Stonehorn, and a Huskard on Stonehorn. Got the mournfangs onto objectives first thing and held them until the end of the game, playing vs a Khorne mix of daemons and mortals. Was a bit of a route with the new command abilities stopping my opponent from auto-passing morale and being unable to use bodies to take my objective. 

Did you win? 😄

As above Eurlbad appears to have some legs now and I do want to test a MW list just not sure on ratio of stonehorns to mournfang. Also they made our best unit cheaper in the Icefall Yhetees which kind of makes me want to double down on them now, along with my preferred large Skal. 

Hunter, General, wraith bow

FLoSH, ethereal 

3x9 icefall Yhetees 

8 and 4x2 cats 

skal

Big old wound count of 160 (although only FL is tough) and a lot of speed and damage output. Plus cats and Yhetees have great synergy when you sacrifice 2 cats to use up your opponents activation then pile in the Yhetees into the same unit from 6” away who now can’t be attacked. 

7 minutes ago, HostilSpike said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but a few attempts at Google-fu didn't give me a clear answer. 

If you run a unit of Yhetees to within 6 but outside of 3 inches of an enemy unit in your movement phase can they pile in and attack in the combat phase?

Yes. Running doesn't stop you activating, just charging so because you're within 6" you can activate, pile in and attack.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:51 AM, daviseford said:

I developed a nifty online tool last week that might help you guys with your battles in the future. As a Seraphon player, I was always stressed that I was forgetting to do things in the right phase.

So, I developed AoS Reminders. It has a bunch of armies, but most importantly, I just added Beastclaw Raiders!!!!

Check it out here -> https://daviseford.com/aos-reminders/

Basically, you add your units, battalions, command traits, realmscape features, and artifacts, and you will get an ordered list of what abilities to use during which phase. I know how many rules you guys have to remember ;)

I hope this cheat sheet helps you be more efficient (and win more battles!)

Please give it a whirl and let me know if you enjoy it! I would LOVE some feedback and critiques! If you notice that a rule is wrong, please either tell me here or post it as an issue on Github here

l2lCGht.png

P.S. it is print-friendly! When you hit print, all of the fancy UI elements are stripped out and you get a list like so:

c6Kb7T1.png

This is phenomenal. I always thought about something like this. Surely following you on github.

Bravo

1 hour ago, HostilSpike said:

Okay wow. They are way better than I was giving them credit for then!

Yeah as long as you have a CP in your pocket to auto make the run a six if it’s needed, Yhetees have an automatic 21” threat range (9+6run+6pilein) whilst still being able to use activation order shenanigans.  The one down side is that as your not charging you don’t get to make use of the re roll 1s to wound. 

2 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah as long as you have a CP in your pocket to auto make the run a six if it’s needed, Yhetees have an automatic 21” threat range (9+6run+6pilein) whilst still being able to use activation order shenanigans.  The one down side is that as your not charging you don’t get to make use of the re roll 1s to wound. 

Speaking of which, that ability is very poorly phrased as "On a turn in which they charge into combat, you may reroll wound rolls of 1 for Beastclaw Raiders units." You can use this so that if 1 BCR unit successfully charges, then ALL BCR units can reroll their wounds rolls.

Edited by MKsmash

9 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Speaking of which, that ability is very poorly phrased as "On a turn in which they charge into combat, you may reroll wound rolls of 1 for Beastclaw Raiders units." You can use this so that if 1 BCR unit successfully charges, then ALL BCR units can reroll their wounds rolls.

That seems like a very generous interpretation.  I've always read that as the unit that charges gets the benefit.

4 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

That seems like a very generous interpretation.  I've always read that as the unit that charges gets the benefit.

Yes, and I'm pretty confident that that is what GW meant. I use "they" in the best way possible. If "they" is referring to BCR units, then it would follow that if one BCR unit can make a charge, then every BCR unit would get the buff.

3 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Yes, and I'm pretty confident that that is what GW meant. I use "they" in the best way possible. If "they" is referring to BCR units, then it would follow that if one BCR unit can make a charge, then every BCR unit would get the buff.

Literally had this exact conversation on FB a few hours ago...

by your generous interpretation, in a BCR vs BCR match if ONE model made a charge then every model on the board could reroll wounds of 1, because there’s no “friendly” wording.

if you read it from back to front (kinda) - “beastclaw raider models in the combat phase can reroll wound rolls of 1 in a turn in which THEY charged”, the THEY being important because it refers to the models who have charged, not everyone.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar 
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
6 x Icefall Yhetees (220)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (110)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes
- Allies
- Axes
- Allies
Skal (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 196

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master 
- Artefact: The Pelt of Charngar 
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
4 x Frost Sabres (80)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (110)
- Axes
- Allies
- Axes
- Allies
Skal (130)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 196

Pardon my ignorance, but how are you getting marauders in? Is that the new mercenary stuff? 

1 minute ago, Cchalmers said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how are you getting marauders in? Is that the new mercenary stuff? 

Yea. 1-3 units of marauders, with optional Darkoath Chieftain.

120 for 20, or 200 for 40.

Lose initial command point if any mercs (i.e. multiple units is no futher CP penalty).

31 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Yea. 1-3 units of marauders, with optional Darkoath Chieftain.

120 for 20, or 200 for 40.

Lose initial command point if any mercs (i.e. multiple units is no futher CP penalty).

Can you take marauder horseman? I'm thinking as a screen that is fast enough to stay in front of my stuff

1 hour ago, Cchalmers said:

Can you take marauder horseman? I'm thinking as a screen that is fast enough to stay in front of my stuff

No, Horsemen aren't an option for the Mercenary Company (most likely because there is no mounted marauder hero, so GW didn't intended it)

Edited by EMMachine

5 hours ago, Cchalmers said:

It's just foot Marauders but they get to move d6 inches for free after being deployed so while they won't keep up they do get a small headstart! 😃

On 6/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, Reuben Parker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the new GHB isn't the 6" auto run gone?