AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

We have a 1v1 series (just for fun) pitting models against each other. This week was Frostlord on Stonehorn vs Ghoul King on Terrorgheist! I am pleased that the Stonehorn thoroughly trounced the giant bat!

Obviously the FEC allegiance abilities and stuff is what makes it so OP.... makes me hopeful that a BCR update with actual useful allegiance stuff will make BCR great again!

AoS Thunderdome - Stonehorn vs AGK on Terrorgheist 1v1

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 11:32 PM, MKsmash said:

Thanks! Should you use them sort of in between Stonehorns/Mournfangs and Thundertusks? 

You can use them as battleline with an Thundertusk (Frostlord or Huskard) as General, but you have to use a couple of Stonehorns and 40/60 grots to tank the enemy attacks.

Remember that they don't need to charge to be in a combact, it's enough for them to have an enemy at 6" range.

50 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

You can use them as battleline with an Thundertusk (Frostlord or Huskard) as General, but you have to use a couple of Stonehorns and 40/60 grots to tank the enemy attacks.

Remember that they don't need to charge to be in a combact, it's enough for them to have an enemy at 6" range.

Thank you! Do you think it's better to make an army based around Stonehorns and Mournfangs or Thundertusks and Yhetees?

19 hours ago, MKsmash said:

Thank you! Do you think it's better to make an army based around Stonehorns and Mournfangs or Thundertusks and Yhetees?

In my humble opinion the Mournfangs are over priced, if you don't use any battalion where are required like Eurlbad or Braggoth's it's better to left them out. 

This is my favourite Beastclaws list:

Huskard on Thundertusk (Everwinter Master) 360

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420 (Ethereal Amulet) 

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420

Fungoid Cave Shaman 90

3 x Yethees

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

60x Grots (Gutbusters) 

Mork's Mighty Mushroom 80

The Fungoid is essential to cast the Mushroom and to generate Command Points. 

The Grots are very very useful to keep objectives. 

12 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

In my humble opinion the Mournfangs are over priced, if you don't use any battalion where are required like Eurlbad or Braggoth's it's better to left them out. 

This is my favourite Beastclaws list:

Huskard on Thundertusk (Everwinter Master) 360

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420 (Ethereal Amulet) 

Frostlord on Stonehorn 420

Fungoid Cave Shaman 90

3 x Yethees

3x Yethees

3x Yethees

60x Grots (Gutbusters) 

Mork's Mighty Mushroom 80

The Fungoid is essential to cast the Mushroom and to generate Command Points. 

The Grots are very very useful to keep objectives. 

Honestly, I never considered putting in Grots. I always focused on things with maximum killing potential, and the Grots never popped into my head.

Come to think of it, I don't think of allies often. Except the Fungoid, which I try to put in every Destruction list that I make.

1 minute ago, MKsmash said:

Honestly, I never considered putting in Grots. I always focused on things with maximum killing potential, and the Grots never popped into my head.

Come to think of it, I don't think of allies often. Except the Fungoid, which I try to put in every Destruction list that I make.

We agree that the Fungoid is essencial, especially for his ability that generate command point.

Surely the grots will never damage to much but with 60 bodies and wounds, they are the easiest way to fill the weakness of the BCR army. And even if they save at 6+, believe me, is not so easy to kill all of them. (they will last at least 3/4 game turns).Your enemy can't ignore their existence if he wants to score points, so he has to focus on them keeping our other crucial units like frostlords and thundertusk safe.

53 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

Thinking about starting a bcr army . Any essential advise?  Useful allies mayb?

Grots are a decent ally for bodies. Butcher with Cauldron is great to buff your units (or kill himself).

Advice - Decide which big guys you like best and target a list around those. Frostlords on Stonehorns are probably the best unit we have in BCR. Hit like a truck and survive decently well against the Monster meta right now. But they will get shredded by hordes.

With BCR, you will lose a lot of objective based games... but will have a lot of fun doing so!

There is nothing quite like charging in 4 Stonehorns! (well... I guess FEC does it better.... but Stonehorn look way more cool!!!).

1 hour ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Grots are a decent ally for bodies. Butcher with Cauldron is great to buff your units (or kill himself).

Advice - Decide which big guys you like best and target a list around those. Frostlords on Stonehorns are probably the best unit we have in BCR. Hit like a truck and survive decently well against the Monster meta right now. But they will get shredded by hordes.

With BCR, you will lose a lot of objective based games... but will have a lot of fun doing so!

There is nothing quite like charging in 4 Stonehorns! (well... I guess FEC does it better.... but Stonehorn look way more cool!!!).

Any thoughts on a new battletome ? Are ogors consider good allies? 

26 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

Any thoughts on a new battletome ? Are ogors consider good allies? 

Yeah, they give you some more bodies... but at that point, you might as well go General Destruction.

BCR new tome will prob be coming sometime this year. GW is on pace to update everyone. If it happens, they will hopefully redo ALL the battalions and nearly all the warscrolls. lol. Its a fun army, just not a competitive one at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Yeah, they give you some more bodies... but at that point, you might as well go General Destruction.

BCR new tome will prob be coming sometime this year. GW is on pace to update everyone. If it happens, they will hopefully redo ALL the battalions and nearly all the warscrolls. lol. Its a fun army, just not a competitive one at the moment.

Cool thank you :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Hopefully, this will change. The "fun factor" just can't be beat with the Gutbusters. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Twh30 said:

I would also say that it is incredibly easy to magnetise the big guy heads so that you can use them as either the Stornhorn or Thundertusk. for the sake of a couple of quid of magnets, you can 'double' the number of big guys you have. 

Also, Gargant Hackers on the mournfang. 

20 hours ago, Twh30 said:

I add my personal point of view at what the other guys said. 

1)  Fungoid Cave Shaman

I suggest to put in a Fungoid Cave Shaman, he's useful because he creates command points and he can cast the Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells. 

2) Mork's Mighty Mushroom

Our BCR army suffers against horde armies. First of all, because of the body counts to contest the objectives and then because our strongest weapon, the Frostlord on Stonehorn, after the nerf, suffers against the big swarms of models. 

This lethal Endless Spell is the only solution against them.  (1 mortal wound at 5+ for each enemy model)

3) use at least a couple of Frostlord on Stonehorns in a 2000 point list. Then build the list around them . They'll be the worse nightmare for your enemies. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

I add my personal point of view at what the other guys said. 

1)  Fungoid Cave Shaman

I suggest to put in a Fungoid Cave Shaman, he's useful because he creates command points and he can cast the Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells. 

2) Mork's Mighty Mushroom

Our BCR army suffers against horde armies. First of all, because of the body counts to contest the objectives and then because our strongest weapon, the Frostlord on Stonehorn, after the nerf, suffers against the big swarms of models. 

This lethal Endless Spell is the only solution against them.  (1 mortal wound at 5+ for each enemy model)

3) use at least a couple of Frostlord on Stonehorns in a 2000 point list. Then build the list around them . They'll be the worse nightmare for your enemies. 

Cool thank you was thinking the shaman tbh mayb him and some goblins for numbers ? Like the look of the endless spell to tbh 

6 minutes ago, Twh30 said:

Cool thank you was thinking the shaman tbh mayb him and some goblins for numbers ? Like the look of the endless spell to tbh 

Yeah, the Fungoid Cave Shaman, plus the Gutbusters Grots that can be used as allies. 

Unfortunately you cannot use the goblin, Gitmob Grots, as allies on a Beastclaws Raiders list. (You can use them just in a Mixed Destruction list.) 

Edited by DestructionFranz

17 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Yeah, the Fungoid Cave Shaman, plus the Gutbusters Grots that can be used as allies. 

Unfortunately you cannot use the goblin, Gitmob Grots, as allies on a Beastclaws Raiders list. (You can use them just in a Mixed Destruction list.) 

Fungoid 

Been thinking about a competitive pure Beastclaw army. I have two extreme armies, one with Stonehorns and Mournfangs and the other with Thundertusks and Yhettees. Here they are:

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- General
- Trait: Massive Bulk 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- Blood Vulture
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Vindictive Glare
- Allies

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 90 / 400
Wounds: 101
Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Ghur
The other one:
Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Thundertusk (360)
- Blood Vulture
Frostlord on Thundertusk (420)
- General
- Trait: Massive Bulk 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
6 x Icefall Yhetees (240)
6 x Icefall Yhetees (240)
3 x Icefall Yhetees (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

I think the best is the second, with some tweaks. For instance, the FL I would put him better in a Stonehorn, giving him an insane damage output. Another option is a Hunter, general, with some puppies, that gives you more board control.

12 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

I think the best is the second, with some tweaks. For instance, the FL I would put him better in a Stonehorn, giving him an insane damage output. Another option is a Hunter, general, with some puppies, that gives you more board control.

Thanks! Should I keep the Gryph-feather Charm or replace it i f I use the Stonehorn?