AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 27/3/2019 at 13:43, Dead_Ghost said:

2k Double Tourney viene, y en busca de consejos de artefactos. 

Compañero en el crimen está ejecutando una lista brutal de Iron Jaw, mientras que (obviamente) estoy ejecutando BCR.

Bastante típica lista de 1k

* Huskard en SH

* 2x 2 Mournfang

* TT Beastriders

Para ello, estoy buscando sugerencias sobre qué tipo de artefacto debo tomar. No estamos ejecutando hechizos interminables, así que no hay engranajes, etc. ¿Entonces, tal vez, algo para impulsarme hacia adelante? O tal vez el -1 para golpear? 

I had thought the same list for a campaign that we are doing here in Chile because the truth we do not have many options what if we could vary is the artifacts, because depending on who help a lot against Seraphon for example, it is good that it allows to repeat saves without rending since nothing of them has rend but they force you to save many rolls, and against armies with many saves this item that cancels the spells that target you to 5+ is not the big deal but to get some mortals off of you, you do not know What other option do you recommend?

Hi! I’ve been toying with an idea ever since GH2018 came out with the costreduction for frostlords. I was hoping some of you more seasoned players could give me some feedback on it? Is it just plain stupid or could it work? Of course there are alot of lists/scenarios it will not work against, but maybe some that it will? Before I start buying stuff, I would greatly apreciate some insight.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Trait: Everwinter's Master  

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 75

6 hours ago, Patriark said:

Hi! I’ve been toying with an idea ever since GH2018 came out with the costreduction for frostlords. I was hoping some of you more seasoned players could give me some feedback on it? Is it just plain stupid or could it work? Of course there are alot of lists/scenarios it will not work against, but maybe some that it will? Before I start buying stuff, I would greatly apreciate some insight.

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

Well it would certainly be fun to try! As you surmise, it wouldn’t play the objective game well, and you are a bit vulnerable to hordes with multiple attacks, but then you are playing BCR in the first place! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Patriark said:

snip

The thermalrider cloak is definitely wrong imo, but I played a few test games with 4 frostlord on stonehorn and there isn't a more fun way to play beastclaw. If you already own them or play test games with friends you should do it, but I always advise against spamming and skew lists when a new book might change everything in the near future.

47 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

The thermalrider cloak is definitely wrong imo, but I played a few test games with 4 frostlord on stonehorn and there isn't a more fun way to play beastclaw. If you already own them or play test games with friends you should do it, but I always advise against spamming and skew lists when a new book might change everything in the near future.

Thanks for the input. But why is the cloak bad? I’ve tried both the cloak and etheral amulet and found that the cloak was gamewinning a few times due to some poorly guarded objectives my opponent thought was at a safe distance... 

Just now, Patriark said:

Thanks for the input. But why is the cloak bad? I’ve tried both the cloak and etheral amulet and found that the cloak was gamewinning a few times due to some poorly guarded objectives my opponent thought was at a safe distance... 

Because I have found a frostlord dies in one round if a real hammer gets the charge if he isn't immune to rend, and 18" or 21" move and charge is more than enough to get anywhere I need to go even late game. If you have an ethereal frostlord, you actually have a great advantage on hero capturing battleplans and can leverage that into a win even against some armies that would normally crush you. It's sort of like why someone would choose morathi over just that many points worth of extra witch aelves: because you get to be real strong on duality, etc.

• Thanks 1

Cloak vs Amulet? I say depending on your army.
If pure Beastclaw? Take Amulet, because your army really don't have much point left to get large block of unit to tank objectives.
Heal with 2 Huskard on Thundertusk and your game will be more fun!

If mixed Destruction? Cloak so that you can fly over your Grots units and surprise your opponent.
Best paired with Moonclan Grot with Fanatics to give your opponent a hard time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, Patriark said:

the theme with the items is elo following when you occupy the frostlord in sh saves 3+ and if you always use the command of everwinter master you repeat the 1 to save that the frostlord saves with 1 because it repeats, wounds with 2 and saves with 3+ bone that is very difficult to make wounds that are not deadly I used it even against a man tree already won by attrition, now if you do not occupy anything that saves 3+ but 4+ is no longer recommended by who would suffer injuries with 2 and 3 in that case there are better items

I was thinking about a 1k bcr list for a campaign that was

1 husk on tt leader vuitre
everwinter master

and 2 sh beastraider with vulture both

What artifact would you recommend? I do not think the amulet will be useful to me, because except for 4+

2 hours ago, Nicorko said:

I was thinking about a 1k bcr list for a campaign that was

1 husk on tt leader vuitre
everwinter master

and 2 sh beastraider with vulture both

What artifact would you recommend? I do not think the amulet will be useful to me, because except for 4+

The gryph-feather charm is great on a thunderhusk, as it stacks with chill. I would also consider charngar’s pelt from BCR, as coupled with the (self) healing ability of the thunderhusk you can heal your ‘tusk for an average of 2.5 wounds a turn; which can really help keep those mortal wound snowballs coming thick and fast, especially if your opponent has some plink attacks to chip away at his damage table, rather than a full on gunline.

On 4/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

The gryph-feather charm is great on a thunderhusk, as it stacks with chill. I would also consider charngar’s pelt from BCR, as coupled with the (self) healing ability of the thunderhusk you can heal your ‘tusk for an average of 2.5 wounds a turn; which can really help keep those mortal wound snowballs coming thick and fast, especially if your opponent has some plink attacks to chip away at his damage table, rather than a full on gunline.

thk i used the amulet with good result for the huskard en tt is the choice 

AAR for the recent 1k I took to the Hampshire Hammerers Doubles Tournament was;

• Huskard on SH; Everwinter Master and Gryph Feather Cloak
    • Everwinter Master
    • Gryph Feather Cloak
  • Mournfang Cavalry (2)
    • Gargant Hackers
  • Mournfang Cavalry (2)
    • Gargant Hackers
  • Thundertusk Beastriders

With my partner running Iron Jawz;

• Warboss
    • 3+, reduce rend by 1 armour
  • Shaman
  • Warchanter
  • Brutes (10) 
    • w/spears
  • Ardboyz (10)
    •  mix of GW and Shields etc)
  • Gore Gruntas (3)

Game One: Shifting Objectives: BoC//Seraphon: Major Victory

The first game was against a Beast of Chaos//Searaphon dual list. The BoC were Tzangor focused and the Seraphon were very big creature heavy (carnotaurus, bastiladon etc). 

We decided to forgoe an Arcane terrain piece, and went with the benefit of the terrain, with three pieces dotted down the middle on their side of the board, they had to funnel in towards the objectives where as we had full reign over choices. We also decided to take the second turn, with the hope of a double round, but could at least respond to their actions. 

T1 we had a rear charge from some Tzangors into the Brutes and Shaman, which held back our flank attack. They then moved forward but came unstuck with the terrain. Haivng to present just one unit at each gap. 

In response, whilst tidying up the tzangor rear guard incursion, we marched up the board. Dirty snowball taking out their General in our T1, and chomped through the units presented to us. able to hit first the saurus knight, then the carnotaurus etc whilst the bastiladon was trapped due to space and speed by the terrain. The brutes and big unit of Tzangors went to town on each other, brutes ending up the victor. 

Some lucky major objective rolls and a failed charge by a unit of summoned un-gors cost them the match, but it was hit or miss for a while in the middle. 

IMG_20190406_115707.jpg.f1834019fa300fb75bb76a5ceedaff03.jpg

Game Two: Duality of Death: Kharadron//Slaanesh: Major Loss

On the face of it, the Slaanesh didn't look any more potent than the Exalted Greater Demon of Slaanesh (Forgeworld), but holy hell, those Depravity points soon rack up. In addition, the slaanesh list had 3 heroes on steeds, perfect for that early objective capture. The Kharadron provided perfect anti-magic defence, as well as the necesasry tools to wreak havoc on big guys! 

Again, we elected to go second, with the hope (need) for the double turn. The mournfang (bottom right) got vertiably steam rolled by the Exalted GD, the SH then charged in response, but due to buffs, only inflicted 5 wounds on the E.GD. She then 'fled' left chewing through brutes and 'ardboyz as she went. 

We lost the roll for the double turn, which would have been crucial for getting those charges in. Instead the SH got popped full of lead by the bristling array of Kharadron weaponry on the right flank, and the Deamonettes pinned the brutes down preventing the IJ heroes from making the most of the board. The TT made good with it's dirty snowball, but even he was brought low by firepower and attacks. 

In the mean time, the depravity points just kept ticking up, with a hero on steed, three harpists and regular greater demon summoned! 

IMG_20190406_153903.jpg.770cd0cac61142307937dcc6fba602c9.jpg

Game Three:Total Commitment: Sylvaneth//Seraphon: Major Victory

Our final game saw us facing a seraphon list again, with Slyvaneth allies, but this time running two blocks of 40 blow piping skinks! 

After the SH's last mediocre outing, this time he (and his two mournfang buddies) outdid themselves, crashing into a block of 40 skinks, killing 30ish with the rest running away, before crunching through 20 dryads. The IJs, under threat of losing 3 points to ripperdactyls, held some forces in reserve, with the brutes going all out to hit a major part of the Sylvaneth force, including drycha, and the other 40 skinks. 

The TT again did wonders, snowballing left right and centre including killing off a unit of tree revenants on T1. 
This was a bittersweet match, as we managed to win quite decicively, but to some opponenets newer to the game than us. They had the potential for a great list, but I feel were let down by a couple of choices - i.e not hitting the TT with the skinks or the bow'd Kurnoth Hunters, which let him run riot.

If you guys happen to read this at any point, I know you felt a little disheartened,  keep persevering!

IMG_20190406_183501.jpg.3b67e453d1761555fb1e9cadd590d076.jpg

Anyway, good games all round, and a great atmosphere and opponents. 

Edited by Dead_Ghost
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, Patriark said:

Leaders
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General

Battleline
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)

With this list your objectives is to delete your opponent army because your won't have enough models to claim objectives.

You need to charge with all your Frostlords at the same time. Keep them very close to not be sorrounded by enemy models ( to receive as less attacks as possible in one turn). 

Use the Frostlord with the cloack and the Hunter to take down your opponent strategic models, like hero or wizards) 

Keep the frost sabres far away, at the beginning, from the battle and use them to score points or to take down lonely enemy's units. 

You can enjoy yourself with that list but you have to have a clear plan before starting play. 

Go and teach your opponents the cruel law of our Mighty Frostlords! 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, i wanted to start playing AoS with BCR. I just love the fluff, the models, etc. I plan only to play casual 1k point games with my other casual friends. I don't think i would choose any other faction(only gutbusters are just as cool, but most of their models are ugly and some of them are metallic... bleh) but i've heard many bad opinions about BCR. That they are completely unplayable. Will this be the case in the casual play? Because honestly, so many bad opinions are driving me off the game, and i don't know now if i should play it. I made this funny little list https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cf0WX81DWBH2KU1IDtpKXMv1qkbv5Xlq/view?fbclid=IwAR3xkqqsxmibQ4_epCWG_7IKEo_hYIOALlP-PUkNV1qf-2fVS0efX1kuFo4  which is obviously not designed to win many games, but i just wanted a cheap army to start the game right away(start collecting box+yhetees which i just find cool, even if they are bad). What are your opinions? My friend is probably gonna play sylvaneth or khorne warriors, will all games be one-sided victories for him?

9 hours ago, archont said:

Hey guys, i wanted to start playing AoS with BCR. I just love the fluff, the models, etc. I plan only to play casual 1k point games with my other casual friends. I don't think i would choose any other faction(only gutbusters are just as cool, but most of their models are ugly and some of them are metallic... bleh) but i've heard many bad opinions about BCR. That they are completely unplayable. Will this be the case in the casual play? Because honestly, so many bad opinions are driving me off the game, and i don't know now if i should play it. I made this funny little list https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cf0WX81DWBH2KU1IDtpKXMv1qkbv5Xlq/view?fbclid=IwAR3xkqqsxmibQ4_epCWG_7IKEo_hYIOALlP-PUkNV1qf-2fVS0efX1kuFo4  which is obviously not designed to win many games, but i just wanted a cheap army to start the game right away(start collecting box+yhetees which i just find cool, even if they are bad). What are your opinions? My friend is probably gonna play sylvaneth or khorne warriors, will all games be one-sided victories for him?

Not at all, in casual play BCR do fine. Sometimes you will lose because you can’t control objectives as well as your opponent, but other times you will win because you wiped out their army.  Your list looks ok, but I don’t think Mollog brings much to help you. Also you’ll find a frostlord on stonehorn more fun than a huskard on stonehorn - the frostlord is a really strong unit that gives you massive damage output.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, archont said:

It looks weird but at 1000 points Beastclaws are unplayable, but for your enemy. 

If you play One or Two Frostlord on Stonehorn (using 10 orruks as battleline in the second case) you won't never lose. 

At 1000 point your opponents don't have any models to destroy the Frostlords.

If I were you, looking at your list, I l'll put just one unit of  4 Mournfang's. 

If you are able to charge your enemy's line you can first attack with Huskard, than after that with the 4 Mournfang's ( for your Huskard ability). Than your opponent will reply with the few remaining models. After that you can make a 6"pile in with Yethees and attack with them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

If I were you, looking at your list, I l'll put just one unit of  4 Mournfang's. 

If you are able to charge your enemy's line you can first attack with Huskard, than after that with the 4 Mournfang's ( for your Huskard ability). Than your opponent will reply with the few remaining models. After that you can make a 6"pile in with Yethees and attack with them. 

While I agree that 4 mournfang are better than 2x2, you wouldn’t have then enough battleline in this case.

• Like 1

Great to know! Thank you for the replies :) I will try it with BCR then. I removed mollog, put a frostlord instead of huskard and added a second bunch of yheetes to my list( i will prox them to see how this works, and if it does work well- i'm gonna buy them :D)

Edited by archont

13 hours ago, archont said:

Great to know! Thank you for the replies :) I will try it with BCR then. I removed mollog, put a frostlord instead of huskard and added a second bunch of yheetes to my list( i will prox them to see how this works, and if it does work well- i'm gonna buy them :D)

Sounds good, yhetees can be surprisingly effective. Here’s hoping they get new (plastic) models soon though! Let us know how you get on :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKsmash said:

My only problem is that they have a terrible 6+ save. They always end up dying quickly.

Yes, is true. But they give a -1 to hit roll to your enemies and they have 4 wounds each. If you use them like front line they'll die quick. If you use them in a smart way (optimizing the 6" "pile in"  to don't be attacked first)  and you attack on the flank of the enemy line you will find them very useful. 

5 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

Yes, is true. But they give a -1 to hit roll to your enemies and they have 4 wounds each. If you use them like front line they'll die quick. If you use them in a smart way (optimizing the 6" "pile in"  to don't be attacked first)  and you attack on the flank of the enemy line you will find them very useful. 

Thanks! Should you use them sort of in between Stonehorns/Mournfangs and Thundertusks?