AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

10 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

So, BCR took 38th at the AoS GT heat 1 today, led by Adam McColgan.

Anyone know what list he took? 

He took Huskard on Stonehorn, Fungoid Shaman, 3 units of 4 mournfang, Stonehorn, Joralbad battallion and geminids. He's a very good player

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dead_Ghost said:

Oh for sure!

Wasn't expecting to see any BCR on that list. He did well to get that high. 

Ty for the list. 

He likes writing weird lists and seeing how far he can take them. Genuinely reckon he would podium if he was in any way interested in taking a top tier faction. Which he's not

1 hour ago, Pitloze said:

His list comes in at 1910. Did he know the Cave Shaman went up in price? I assume he was gunning for 2 extra CP.

Yup I knew the points, it was to give me a min 3 cps turn one for auto 6 runs and/or charge rerolls.... And on 4 + an extra one

Edited by Dead_Duardin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dead_Duardin said:

Yup I knew the points, it was to give me a min 3 cps turn one for auto 6 runs and/or charge rerolls.... And on 4 + an extra one

What armies did you match up against? What worked well, what didn’t?

1 minute ago, Jmason said:

What armies did you match up against? What worked well, what didn’t?

I played two skaven, blades of khorne, ironjaws and daughters..... List worked fine its mainly about positioning and sacrifices.... The two games I lost was on a turn 2 priority to the guy who came second with skaven and to the daughters player who came like 10th because I needed a 4+ on a run, I rolled a one and didn't position my Fungoid well enough the previous turn to get him range to make an auto 6. Fungoid is the most important part of the list 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Backbreaker said:

@Dead_Duardin I really don't understand your list, especially how your fungoid is important..

The list works by penning in your opponent and to do that you need lots of cps, so that your sacrificial mornlambs get their 6 to run, can reroll charges and be immune to battleshock. The Fungoid generates cps, is a hero that's easy to hide and means that the Stonehorn doesn't have to be in the center of the army. You hit turn one, retreat turn two, and use blocking with the larger bases to zone your opponent. You win by taking neutral objectives and slowing your opponent down. By the time they break through its usually too late mission wise, you'll lose 1500 plus points a game but get the major

• Like 4

Friend of mine has been playing some of my BCR. Has been running 4 thundertusks. Recorded a match between him and 45 Putrid Blight Kings! 

Unfortunately, they rolled bat plan Escalation, which forced all the Thundertusks to have to deploy pretty far back. The 20 man unit of Grots screened well tho. The Thundertusks sniped out all the Nurgle heros, but just couldn't get thru the massive amount of wounds the Nurgle PBKs have! 

When the Nurgle team got a unit of PBKs into combat with all four TT, it was over. The TT - 1 to hit neutered the PBK.... But the TT still couldn't clear them.

The BCR player should have spread them out a bit more or retreated one or two to get free. 

Fun game tho! Video below... If you need something to hobby to. 

https://youtu.be/NMSoZaCzE60

On 3/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, Calebexnihilo said:

Friend of mine has been playing some of my BCR. Has been running 4 thundertusks. Recorded a match between him and 45 Putrid Blight Kings! 

Unfortunately, they rolled bat plan Escalation, which forced all the Thundertusks to have to deploy pretty far back. The 20 man unit of Grots screened well tho. The Thundertusks sniped out all the Nurgle heros, but just couldn't get thru the massive amount of wounds the Nurgle PBKs have! 

When the Nurgle team got a unit of PBKs into combat with all four TT, it was over. The TT - 1 to hit neutered the PBK.... But the TT still couldn't clear them.

The BCR player should have spread them out a bit more or retreated one or two to get free. 

Fun game tho! Video below... If you need something to hobby to. 

https://youtu.be/NMSoZaCzE60

Yeah mass TT just doesn’t have the required damage output to compete I feel. Plus they themselves are actually super easy to snipe 12, 4+ save wounds for 360 is just terrible defensively. They pay nearly as much per wound as Archaon who at least has a bunch of rules to make him tanky. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, Dead_Duardin said:

The list works by penning in your opponent and to do that you need lots of cps, so that your sacrificial mornlambs get their 6 to run, can reroll charges and be immune to battleshock. The Fungoid generates cps, is a hero that's easy to hide and means that the Stonehorn doesn't have to be in the center of the army. You hit turn one, retreat turn two, and use blocking with the larger bases to zone your opponent. You win by taking neutral objectives and slowing your opponent down. By the time they break through its usually too late mission wise, you'll lose 1500 plus points a game but get the major

What do you mean with hitting turn one retreating turn two? Don't you then give an entire turn away to your opponent?

5 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

What do you mean with hitting turn one retreating turn two? Don't you then give an entire turn away to your opponent?

Mournfang are tough but they won't last two full turns against proper combat units, retreating is better than dying in combat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dead_Duardin said:

Mournfang are tough but they won't last two full turns against proper combat units, retreating is better than dying in combat

Once a player learns the value of a tactical retreat, the game opens up so much.

• Like 1

Reason why I asked it is because I like to use my Mournfang as wrestlers to try and pin enemy units down so I can take objectives with my Stonehorns. If you retreat I don't know how you take back the objectives you then give away? And if you get a double turn you don't really have that oomph?

I'll try your list out tomorrow at game day.

9 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Reason why I asked it is because I like to use my Mournfang as wrestlers to try and pin enemy units down so I can take objectives with my Stonehorns. If you retreat I don't know how you take back the objectives you then give away? And if you get a double turn you don't really have that oomph?

I'll try your list out tomorrow at game day.

You don't lose objectives from Mournfang retreats, also you don't have to retreat.... If I don't need too I won't but I just don't continue battles I can't win

Managed to speed paint my BCR and took them to a local tournament. 10 players 3 stormcast and I ended up playing them all. 

Went 2-1 and maybe could even have won the last game and the whole thing. The ethereal amulet stonehorn was amazing but the second one felt a bit lacklustre something to well change. All the games I was losing on table but managed to do well on objectives (20 cat Skal new meta ;) ) last game I was too focused on shutting down his double tapping 9 long strikes when I should have used the Skal to burn his vulnerable  flank objective.

Was a fun list to play but it feel like apart from the ethereal stonehorn and the yeti everything else had an uphill fight. Plus the stonehorn hitting on 4+ my dice were cursed nearly every time I attacked with the 6 horns I would only get 1 hit  

D5D3043F-E2AD-4C03-8EA0-F1C8A486B6C4.jpeg

77BA1FE1-6C36-4B53-B2A7-B2548E2560FE.jpeg

8ACF433C-D5CD-4A66-9E68-FF221F0461FC.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Managed to speed paint my BCR and took them to a local tournament. 10 players 3 stormcast and I ended up playing them all. 

Went 2-1 and maybe could even have won the last game and the whole thing. The ethereal amulet stonehorn was amazing but the second one felt a bit lacklustre something to well change. All the games I was losing on table but managed to do well on objectives (20 cat Skal new meta ;) ) last game I was too focused on shutting down his double tapping 9 long strikes when I should have used the Skal to burn his vulnerable  flank objective.

Was a fun list to play but it feel like apart from the ethereal stonehorn and the yeti everything else had an uphill fight. Plus the stonehorn hitting on 4+ my dice were cursed nearly every time I attacked with the 6 horns I would only get 1 hit  

D5D3043F-E2AD-4C03-8EA0-F1C8A486B6C4.jpeg

77BA1FE1-6C36-4B53-B2A7-B2548E2560FE.jpeg

8ACF433C-D5CD-4A66-9E68-FF221F0461FC.jpeg

You're not wrong mate, the lack of ways to buff your to hit roll is huge... Hopefully in October that all changes 

On 3/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, Dead_Duardin said:

You don't lose objectives from Mournfang retreats, also you don't have to retreat.... If I don't need too I won't but I just don't continue battles I can't win

I tried your list. It was against Nighthaunt so take all this with a grain of salt since they play fairly unique. It was Border Wars. I took first turn. used the CPs to rush the neutral objectives. failed my charges (they were all 9 or higher). So I decided to sit on the objectives. In his turn he got all his stuff in combat and teleported behind me so I could not retreat anyway. Rend didn't work against him so the damage output was very low. Also didn't even get Geminid's off but I doubt that would have made a difference.

Personally I really dislike the Huskard on Stornhorn in anything other than Eurlbad. And even in Eurlbad he is only offensively as good as a Frostlord but still dies to rend pretty easily. I also have a hard time finding a decent artefact for a Huskhorn. I don't want them too deep in combat so Thermal rider is out, he has 4+ save so amulet is not fantastic. I went with Gryph Feather charm and it worked okay ish.

I also really missed my Butchers. I usually play two and the tease of getting +1 to hit make them worth it IMO. They sometimes get a spell off. Which is fun.  But best of all my opponents are usually more scared of the Butchers than anything else lol.

I'm not sure I'm going to bring Endless spells anymore. I think Triumphs are better than Spells. Since even 7's are hard to get off with Butchers or Fungoids. And I like the back up option of casting Mystical Shield if the Everwinter fails me.

Edited by Pitloze

1 minute ago, Pitloze said:

I tried your list. It was against Nighthaunt so take all this with a grain of salt since they play fairly unique. It was Border Wars. I took first turn. used the CPs to rush the neutral objectives. failed my charges (they were all 9 or higher). So I decided to sit on the objectives. In his turn he got all his stuff in combat and teleported behind me so I could not retreat anyway. Rend didn't work against him so the damage output was very low. Also didn't even get Geminid's off but I doubt that would have made a difference.

Personally I really dislike the Huskard on Stornhorn in anything other than Eurlbad. And even in Eurlbad he is only offensively as good as a Frostlord but still dies to rend pretty easily. I also have a hard time finding a decent artefact for a Huskhorn. I don't want them too deep in combat so Thermal rider is out, he has 4+ save so amulet is not fantastic. I went with Gryph Feather charm and it worked okay ish.

I also really missed my Butchers. I usually play two (would play 3 if the Allied rule didn't royally borks us) and the tease of getting +1 to hit make them worth it IMO. They sometimes get a spell off. Which is fun.  But best of all my opponents are usually more scared of the Butchers than anything else lol.

I'm not sure I'm going to bring Endless spells anymore. I think Triumphs are better than Spells. Since even 7's are hard to get off with Butchers or Fungoids. And I like the back up option of casting Mystical Shield if the Everwinter fails me.

I'm not looking to convert anyone lad, people should play how they want