AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Need some help figuring out what to buy next. Should I buy another SC box or some Yhetees to replace the allies? Gore-Gruntas and try Braggoth’s Beast Hammer?  This is the list I’m running currently:  

1 Frostlord on Stonehorn (rider not glued)

1 Huskard on Thundertusk (rider not glued)

1 Icebrow Hunter

4, 2, & 2 Mournfang

2 & 2 Frost Sabres

3 Fellwater Troggoths

Skal Battalion

~~~

I also have an Aleguzzler Gargant and 3 more Fellwater Troggoths in my collection. 

7 hours ago, Lughaidh said:

Need some help figuring out what to buy next. Should I buy another SC box or some Yhetees to replace the allies? Gore-Gruntas and try Braggoth’s Beast Hammer?  This is the list I’m running currently:  

1 Frostlord on Stonehorn (rider not glued)

1 Huskard on Thundertusk (rider not glued)

1 Icebrow Hunter

4, 2, & 2 Mournfang

2 & 2 Frost Sabres

3 Fellwater Troggoths

Skal Battalion

~~~

I also have an Aleguzzler Gargant and 3 more Fellwater Troggoths in my collection. 

In my opinion, given the huge investment of Skal (i.e. 150 points, plus Hunter tax) you should be taking more than 4 cats. All that investment is currently going into those four, very fragile cats.

Like many things in AoS, go all-in or not at all (except maybe a pair of cats to fill out your points, or something).

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

In my opinion, given the huge investment of Skal (i.e. 150 points, plus Hunter tax) you should be taking more than 4 cats. All that investment is currently going into those four, very fragile cats.

Like many things in AoS, go all-in or not at all (except maybe a pair of cats to fill out your points, or something).

I agree with this. The utility of a skal is nice, but a small skal is going to get chewed up, mostly.

I also think yhetees are good, but 3 is not going to do much more than the troggoths in isolation. 

Good job on not gluing your riders; I’d also build a second huskard rider from your bits (with blood vulture!) so you can run 2 huskards if desired. Then, an alternative route would be to just buy another SC box and run a Eurlbad+, something like:

Huskard on stonehorn

Stonehorn beastriders

Mournfang packs 4, 4, 2

Eurlbad

Huskard on Thundertusk

1990pts

Then at 2.5k, you can always add your Skal back in if you want to - you’d get a hunter and 10 cats in total in with a Skal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

So, maybe -160 pts of Troggoths and add 8 cats?  Hmm, that would help more with model count on objectives.

2 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

I agree with this. The utility of a skal is nice, but a small skal is going to get chewed up, mostly.

I also think yhetees are good, but 3 is not going to do much more than the troggoths in isolation. 

Good job on not gluing your riders; I’d also build a second huskard rider from your bits (with blood vulture!) so you can run 2 huskards if desired. Then, an alternative route would be to just buy another SC box and run a Eurlbad+, something like:

Huskard on stonehorn

Stonehorn beastriders

Mournfang packs 4, 4, 2

Eurlbad

Huskard on Thundertusk

1990pts

Then at 2.5k, you can always add your Skal back in if you want to - you’d get a hunter and 10 cats in total in with a Skal.

I own 6 Troggoths altogether, so I'd likely buy about the same in Yhetees.

I'll have to check my bits again, but I'm fairly certain they conveniently made it so you couldn't make a Frostlord AND a Huskard.  Which now that I'm thinking about it doesn't make sense since you can make the two Beastriders... I likely overlooked something.

So definitely buying another SC box over Gore-Gruntas?  I saw someone did pretty well recently running Braggoth's Beast Hammer.

I'm trying to optimize a list, and I'm open to any suggestions.  I've been playing my Skaven for a while, but getting back into Beastclaw:

420 FL on Stonehorn 

360 Huskard onTT

340 Huskard on SH

140 Butcher w Cauldron (Gutbuster allies)

160 Mournfang x2

160 Mournfang x2

320 SH Beastriders

100 Grots (Gutbuster allies)

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Lughaidh said:

I own 6 Troggoths altogether, so I'd likely buy about the same in Yhetees.

I'll have to check my bits again, but I'm fairly certain they conveniently made it so you couldn't make a Frostlord AND a Huskard.  Which now that I'm thinking about it doesn't make sense since you can make the two Beastriders... I likely overlooked something.

So definitely buying another SC box over Gore-Gruntas?  I saw someone did pretty well recently running Braggoth's Beast Hammer.

You can absolutely build 2 characters, weapon wise (the frost Lord needs a spear, the huskard needs a harpoon/chaintrap/vulture). You haven’t got enough furs for both, but a bit of creativity makes 2 very plausible characters, especially if you have mournfang bits too. 

Braggoth’s is not a bad choice either - it will cost more to get two boxes of gruntas than a single SC, and it ties you to one particular list, is all. Boils down to what you want to take, really, and how flexible you want future lists to be. 

If you are going to run the beast hammer, then I’d run packs of 4 mournfangs in it. 

Frostlord on SH, 2x4 mournfang, 3x gore gruntas & braggoths will cost you 1570. From there, you’ll need another battleline, so I’d take TT beastriders. Then maybe some cats.

22 minutes ago, CompBiochemInfo said:

I'm trying to optimize a list, and I'm open to any suggestions.  I've been playing my Skaven for a while, but getting back into Beastclaw:

420 FL on Stonehorn 

360 Huskard onTT

340 Huskard on SH

140 Butcher w Cauldron (Gutbuster allies)

160 Mournfang x2

160 Mournfang x2

320 SH Beastriders

100 Grots (Gutbuster allies)

Thanks in advance!

I think a huskard on stonehorn, outside of a battalion at least, is just a bit confused about what to do, and especially if the only mournfang packs to buff are 2 models strong. The butcher is not a bad ally wizard, and with a cauldron, the +1 to hit is particularly nice on BCR (another reason to run a larger mournfang pack), but he can also struggle to keep up with the mounts, so might end up stuck with your grots in this list. As ablative wounds, they’re ok - but personally I’m not a fan of min sized grots units. Other opinions may vary of course, and as a screen or objective camper, they are a cheap option. Frost sabres are even cheaper, of course.

Yeah, the Huskard is the part I'm least sure of.  I think FL on Stonehorn is better than going Eurlbad, and including both (FL and Husk on SH) means min Mournfang but I'm just finishing up painting my Huskard on SH, so I'm thinking of lists that include him.

For the grots, I'm a bit torn vs cats.  Cats are very cheap, but 4 wounds is so little.  I could switch the butcher for the Fungoid Cave Shaman, and gain some points for cats, I guess.

4 hours ago, Xasto said:

Is Braggoth's Beast Hammer any good?

Thinking of running this:

Frostlord on Stonehorn

4 x Mournfang

4 x Mournfang 

Thundertusk Beastriders

Braggoth's Beast Hammer

3 x Gore-gruntas

3 x Gore-gruntas

2 x Frost Sabers

2 x Frost Sabers

Yes, that’s exactly what I’d run for Braggoth’s. Only option is with the cats - run 2x2, 1x4 for 3 drop, 1x2 for 3 drop and extra CP,  or none and run a fungoid shaman ally instead.

I’m slowly learning through play, but are there any general strategies or jobs for certain units?

Frostlord on Stonehorn is an obvious one. I’ve been using him to alpha-strike heroes, wizards, etc..

I’m never sure whether I should have some mournfang accompany or if they’re supposed to be doing other things. I at least usually have 4 screening my Huskard on Thundertusk.  

Edited by Lughaidh

17 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I’d run for Braggoth’s. Only option is with the cats - run 2x2, 1x4 for 3 drop, 1x2 for 3 drop and extra CP,  or none and run a fungoid shaman ally instead.

What would be the merits of a Fungoid Cave-Shaman? Is it primarily for the unbinding?

@Pitloze @Kyriakin

I think a 10 cat skal is fine; but I wouldn’t go much higher as for me it’s a complementary utility, not a focus of the army. The ambush ability is great, but you need your opponent to be focused on something else, because the sabres aren’t good enough on their own to survive long enough to maintain board control, or chew through any major threats.

Tbh, depends on the rest of my army, and what its general strategy is.

but as a general idea, if I was taking 10: probably 6,2,2 (the 6 to hunt wizards and war machines, the 2s to just get in the way / claim objectives far from the fight) or 4,4,2 ( bit more flexible, bit less reliable at hunting). Though 5x2 can mess with an opponents strategy quite a lot, just have some other idea for damage dealing. Tbh, have this anyway!

Edited by Baron Wastelands

On 10/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, CaptainSoup said:

I can understand how you feel @heywoah_twitch
My first army was BCR. It was fun to play back in first edition before the GHB. I was the unbeatable champ in my group of friends. I even won a small FLGS tournament with them.

In hindsight though, I knew if I faced any real competitive meta lists, especially later down the line with the changes and new releases, it would have been really tough. Now I run a more modern army and the difference in power and strategy is like night and day.

It just goes to show you the difference in how poorly designed the early battletomes are. Stack that with no apparent GHB changes to help limp them along then this fate was bound to happen.

All that being said, at least in casual environments with people ill prepared to deal with large monsters, you can still win a game or two.

I was the same mate. Jumped in the day the book released and the icewind dropped. Used to do pretty well with them, it sucks BCR aren't competitive anymore. Breaks my cold icey hungry heart

• Sad 1