AoS 2 - Beastclaw Raiders Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, Mincemeat said:

Love the sound of mournfang ironblasters! Would I be able to see a pic? 

I normally run an ironblaster with my fledgling bcr, such an awesome model that fits the army aesthetic quite well. I even broke the curse on my Ironblaster last month and finally managed to hit something in the shooting phase after 1 and a half years of owning the model. 

Haha ouch... yeah, its stats aren't ideal... but love the model.

Still working on the kitbash... will post pic when done.

The chariot/cart the ogre is on is: mournfang saddle, Stonehorn beastrider back piece (the one for the second rider), with rounded shields for wheels, the wooden shaft of the beastriders totem is the axle, and lots of the barrels from the stonehore kit for decoration.

oh... and a $7 purchase off ebay of the actual canon barrel... ha

Edited by Calebexnihilo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, redphlannel said:

However, I do like to win sometimes... so I'm curious if this would be a good beatstick 1k army to start with?

Heroes:
Huskard on Stonehorn OR TT (340)(360)
- Blood Vulture 
Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)
- Gargant Hackers

980 or 1,000 pts. 

Both Huskards fit into 1k nicely. The Huskard on a Stonehorn seems real good for the Mournfangs, but I like the icyness and buffs of a Huskard on a Tuskard (dang these names...). Which is preferable? Also not sure on traits and artifacts. The Pelt and dispel Skull seem good, but the Realm specific items look nice as well. 

Is reasonable at 1k, have run the same list. Mournfang packs aren’t loved, exactly, at the moment, but they’re far from a terrible unit, just not optimal. Yhetees are a bit more bang for your buck, but there’s the price ( and look ) of the models. Then there’s sabres, which gives you more actual bodies, but again, you’re looking at finecast or proxies.

To go back to your list, in isolation I usually prefer the Tuskard to the Stonehard, however you can do a lot of burst damage with a stonehard and 4 mournfang on the combined charge. In order to get the icy shooting of the TT as well, (and assuming you’re buying 2 SC boxes already), you could try:

Huskard on SH

TT Beastriders

4 Mournfang

think that is still 1k on the nose.

I would stick with the pelt or skull (skull for moderate magic armies - you won’t need it against khorne, and it won’t help you much against Nagash), although as you are dishing out mortal wounds generally, the frostwyrm elixir is also fun on a Stonehard.

for command abilities, I’d take Everwinter’s master, to increase your chances of boosting movement initially to make sure you get the charges, and then roll for extra mortal wounds in combat.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, Mincemeat said:

Love the sound of mournfang ironblasters! Would I be able to see a pic? 

I normally run an ironblaster with my fledgling bcr, such an awesome model that fits the army aesthetic quite well. I even broke the curse on my Ironblaster last month and finally managed to hit something in the shooting phase after 1 and a half years of owning the model. 

Here is a quick pic of the ironblaster/mournfang/thundertusk kit bash. Ignore the paint so far... haha... just getting it ready for house games this weekend.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gj0ACSJ

Used a barrel bit off ebay, mournfang ogor and saddle from extra mournfang pack, "chariot" and tusks from unused thundertusk kit bits.

• Like 2

Hey Guys!

I just picked up a good deal on some BCR for my second army and am looking for some advice.  As of right now I have 1 Huskard/Frostlord on Stonehorn, 2 Thundertusk Beast Riders, 12 Mournfang, 6 yhetees and 12 Sabres with 2 Hunters on the Way.  I also have 2 more of the Start Collecting Boxes coming and am not sure what to build the big dudes as given what I have.

I spoke to a friend and he said based off the dudes I have I should go for a Torrbad, but I wasn't sure how that'd play out.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated on a good direction.

For Eurlbad. The +1 to damage counts for the Huskard's Stonehorn as well right? The core book for 2.0 specifically says that mounts cannot benefit from Command Abilities and Artifacts unless noted otherwise. It makes no mention of battalion effects (which what Eurlbad is). Also it says "the Huskards melee weaponS". Seeing as the Huskard cannot carry a melee weapon (only missle weapons) I'm just going to assume that it does apply to the mount as well then.

I just want to have this clear before I unleash a 6/4+/3+/-2/4 attack on the table. It will raise some eyebrows for sure.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, BWG Cannonball said:

I just picked up a good deal on some BCR for my second army and am looking for some advice.  As of right now I have 1 Huskard/Frostlord on Stonehorn, 2 Thundertusk Beast Riders, 12 Mournfang, 6 yhetees and 12 Sabres with 2 Hunters on the Way.  I also have 2 more of the Start Collecting Boxes coming and am not sure what to build the big dudes as given what I have.

I spoke to a friend and he said based off the dudes I have I should go for a Torrbad, but I wasn't sure how that'd play out.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated on a good direction.

Torrbad can be fun, and it’s a menacing gun line; if pricy in 2k at 1550. I think you need something to screen, and yhetees are perfect with their extra bounce (moreover can be in the Torrbad) so You could take 3x3 yhetees to support at 2k. When it works, it really works, just snipe first! If you want to work with what you have, you could take a unit of 6 and then a couple of sabre units (quick maths says you could fit in 10 sabres as well?) or even a hunter with 2 sabres

6 hours ago, Pitloze said:

For Eurlbad. The +1 to damage counts for the Huskard's Stonehorn as well right? The core book for 2.0 specifically says that mounts cannot benefit from Command Abilities and Artifacts unless noted otherwise. It makes no mention of battalion effects (which what Eurlbad is). Also it says "the Huskards melee weaponS". Seeing as the Huskard cannot carry a melee weapon (only missle weapons) I'm just going to assume that it does apply to the mount as well then.

I just want to have this clear before I unleash a 6/4+/3+/-2/4 attack on the table. It will raise some eyebrows for sure.

That's the way I see it. It applies to all attacks for that unit. Nothing in print anywhere tells me different.

I also try and get the Butcher's +1 to hit on the Eurlbad Huskard also. Makes him very punchy!

On 9/22/2018 at 3:37 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

Torrbad can be fun, and it’s a menacing gun line; if pricy in 2k at 1550. I think you need something to screen, and yhetees are perfect with their extra bounce (moreover can be in the Torrbad) so You could take 3x3 yhetees to support at 2k. When it works, it really works, just snipe first! If you want to work with what you have, you could take a unit of 6 and then a couple of sabre units (quick maths says you could fit in 10 sabres as well?) or even a hunter with 2 sabres

Thanks for the help @Baron Wastelands!  I was really debating on whether to go full into the Torbad or just make the next two in Stonehorns for a Eurlbad/Jorbad.  This helps me just figure on the fact I'll make them into Thundertusks and be done with it.  Maybe get one more later on for a Stornhorn Beastrider.

24 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Thanks for the help @Baron Wastelands!  I was really debating on whether to go full into the Torbad or just make the next two in Stonehorns for a Eurlbad/Jorbad.  This helps me just figure on the fact I'll make them into Thundertusks and be done with it.  Maybe get one more later on for a Stornhorn Beastrider.

Personally I’m preferring thundertusks over Stonehorns generally at the moment, but that’s partly because so many armies rely on key buff heroes that make juicy targets, and partly because Stonehorns used to be better; but they are by no means bad. The advantage of a Eurlbad or Jorlbad I guess is that you can get one going for minimum 1150/1140 Pts, and the battalion bonuses are still fairly decent. Not trying to talk you out of Torrbad, which I still think edges it for me. Savvy opponents will try and get a few wounds on each tusk, but this tactic still leaves you with mw potential for a long while. Just don’t get swamped, screen your tusks, and particularly protect your huskard. 

Whichever you go with, BCR needs a bit of practice these days to get the most out of, so keep at it. I am having a lot of fun with my thundertusks, and yhetees are also surprisingly useful (even if the models are overdue for an overhaul, and a price drop!). Let us know how you get on!

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I'm Skal all the way.

I might lose, have terrible models and be financially ruined, but at least Yhetees and cats are quick and easy to paint.

You can alleviate two of those problems by going proxy. Chaos warhounds for example come on the right base size and have 10 in the box for 20 dollars. And they look better than cats.

Anyone ever tried using Rampaging Destroyers (Destro alliegance) to cycle charge Hero Stonehorns?

If a enemy unit is going for a Hero Stonehorn who is not in combat but the enemy unit barely didnt' make it (around 5 inches away or so) you can use Rampaging Destroyer in your turn to declare a charge, get D6 mortal wounds in, and retreat in your movement phase.

It might be very niche. But I bet it would be kinda hilarious. The turn after you can just charge in normally for another D6 mortal wounds. If you have two Stonehorn heros you can use one as bait to get a double cycle charge in. Against shooting armies this will probably fail but still.

Edited by Pitloze

On 9/28/2018 at 4:08 PM, Malakree said:

@BWG Cannonball
I'm not sure how comfortable you are with magnetising, or if you are doing two different colour schemes for them, but you can magnetize the heads allowing you to swap between them. It can also make them easier to transport depending on how you are doing so.

Thanks much! @Malakree  I'll see if I can pop the heads off without doing much damage to the paint and magnetize.  I'm not the greatest at it, but a little practice wouldn't hurt.

36 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Thanks much! @Malakree  I'll see if I can pop the heads off without doing much damage to the paint and magnetize.  I'm not the greatest at it, but a little practice wouldn't hurt.

If you have some unbuilt/painted ones coming I would start with those rather than mess with the built/painted ones first.

It helps you get to know the model, where the joint is, how you need to magnetize etc.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:31 PM, Pitloze said:

Anyone ever tried using Rampaging Destroyers (Destro alliegance) to cycle charge Hero Stonehorns?

If a enemy unit is going for a Hero Stonehorn who is not in combat but the enemy unit barely didnt' make it (around 5 inches away or so) you can use Rampaging Destroyer in your turn to declare a charge, get D6 mortal wounds in, and retreat in your movement phase.

It might be very niche. But I bet it would be kinda hilarious. The turn after you can just charge in normally for another D6 mortal wounds. If you have two Stonehorn heros you can use one as bait to get a double cycle charge in. Against shooting armies this will probably fail but still.

I do something similar regularly in a Mixed Destro army.  Charge in the Hero Phase with my Maw Krusha, retreat and charge again thanks to the Fungoid Shaman's CA.  Trigger Destructive Bulk each time.

Doesn't work unless you have the Orruk keyword unfortunately, but you could achieve similar goals in a Mixed army without retreating if you have some decent shooting (e.g. 30 Battleline Grot archers or some Spear Chukkas).

Hero Phase charge with the Stonehorn to soften them up -> Shoot them off -> Charge again in the Charge phase.

It still works better with the MBMK because you can trigger On Da Rampage if you soften up multiple targets with shooting, but if you wanted to use your Stonehorn in a Mixed Army, some Grot shooting can get you multi charging.

Can  blood vulture be used out of combat? The core book mentions that shooting attacks. not missile weapons or shooting abilities, need to be shot at the unit you are in melee combat with.  I assume that anything that does damage to a unit in the shooting phase is an attack. But I really hope we can talk our way out of this lol. It's almost tempting to go with the chain trap to avoid this argument.

The Vulture is not an attack, it has no missile weapon profile.

So you can run / retreat and charge with it, and now "shoot" it out of combat.

It is purely an ability (that happens to trigger in the shooting phase).

The snowball on the other hand does have a missile weapon profile, so even though it also has abilities, it cannot be used out of combat / if you run / if you retreat.

The definition of shooting is "the unit attacks with all of the missile weapons it is armed with".  Using a pure ability (like the Vulture) is not making attacks with a missile weapon, because it's not a missile weapon.  So you're good.

• Thanks 1

One question from a newbie :)

the other day i was said that when capturing objectives big models monsters count as 5 normal ones.

I was playing against beastclaw raiders.

I dont know if that is something only for beastclaw raiders or any big monster in the game ?

do you know anything about this and where is that explained ?

On 10/5/2018 at 5:47 AM, Kyyn said:

One question from a newbie :)

the other day i was said that when capturing objectives big models monsters count as 5 normal ones.

I was playing against beastclaw raiders.

I dont know if that is something only for beastclaw raiders or any big monster in the game ?

do you know anything about this and where is that explained ?

There is no such rule.

On some battleplans wizards count as 20 models but it will explain that in the battleplan. It could've been a custom battleplan the guy made up or a narrative one that I'm unaware of. Or some house rule the locals cooked up to give beastclaw a chance, however minor.

Total number of wounds near an objective has been suggested a lot, not only for beastclaw, but for honestly a more balanced game (as hordes of bodies are imo too incentivized atm). 

Edited by heywoah_twitch