Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Recommended Posts

Ok guys, im going againt Skaven army this saturday, so Im working on how to kick those guys into nuts-nuts. From what I know I will probably face lots of stormfiends and plaguemonks, Clan Scryer(or something along those lines).

Its 1000pts. I have so far came up with this. Let me check if everything is correct and what would you change if you played against elite-based Skaven?

Anotger1000pt.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wengiel said:

Its 1000pts.

I've struggled so much trying to write a 1000pts BS list. At 1250 I'm happy but at 1k I've been lost. I have a large Destro collection and I think my Mawtribes 1k is just so much better. 

I guess the biggest question at 1k is what format are you playing and what battleplans. Meeting Engagement? or normal and rolling for 1 of the 18 battleplans (can't remember the name... its probably pitched battle).

30 boyz and boar units are probably the best units in BS at 1k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are looking for scenarios in other books than of ours battletomes, since we cannot fulfil those yet. So yea, probably pitched battle.

The biggest problem I have is with artefacts, since as I understood you can have only 1 artefact at all and only general who is a wizard can either pick battle traits or magic traits. Im still learning so those things are a bit confusing.

I also struggle to pick a right warclan for this. It doesnt seem luke any warclan could be effective here so I might just skip it. However Bonegrinz seemed to be somewhat reasonable choice.

Another problem is that I still have 10 unassemblied units at my disposal. So I wonder what would benefit me better: another 10 units of archers, 10 units of morboys or 10 units or shield boys with choppas?

Right I have a pack of 10 of each

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:20 AM, Wengiel said:

We are looking for scenarios in other books than of ours battletomes, since we cannot fulfil those yet. So yea, probably pitched battle.

The biggest problem I have is with artefacts, since as I understood you can have only 1 artefact at all and only general who is a wizard can either pick battle traits or magic traits. Im still learning so those things are a bit confusing.

I also struggle to pick a right warclan for this. It doesnt seem luke any warclan could be effective here so I might just skip it. However Bonegrinz seemed to be somewhat reasonable choice.

Another problem is that I still have 10 unassemblied units at my disposal. So I wonder what would benefit me better: another 10 units of archers, 10 units of morboys or 10 units or shield boys with choppas?

Right I have a pack of 10 of each

I have been having a similar difficulty with 1k lists. All I can say for sure is that you want Arrow Boyz and a Prophet, season the rest to taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:20 AM, Wengiel said:

We are looking for scenarios in other books than of ours battletomes, since we cannot fulfil those yet. So yea, probably pitched battle.

The biggest problem I have is with artefacts, since as I understood you can have only 1 artefact at all and only general who is a wizard can either pick battle traits or magic traits. Im still learning so those things are a bit confusing.

I also struggle to pick a right warclan for this. It doesnt seem luke any warclan could be effective here so I might just skip it. However Bonegrinz seemed to be somewhat reasonable choice.

Another problem is that I still have 10 unassemblied units at my disposal. So I wonder what would benefit me better: another 10 units of archers, 10 units of morboys or 10 units or shield boys with choppas?

Right I have a pack of 10 of each

Whatever you decide I'd only build models you are planning towards a 2,000 point army. Archers are always good since you can use em in a 30-man mob or a la carte. Savage Orruks are at their best in a 30-man blob with spears since as soon as you get more than 10 models they're going to start tripping over each other to get into fighting range, and the large blob size makes them excellent targets for buffs while also netting you that sweet massive regiment discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I used those 10 left to make morboys after all, kinda regreting it now. Now imbpreparing for a tournament 2k and to do so I must buy 3-4 boxes of SO to have at least 2x30 of spearbois. Thats gonna cost a lot. 😧

Eventually I will make a boar-focused army, with rogue Idol or something among those lines. Considering picking Drakfoot warclan for this tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think about this 2k list for a tournament next Saturday ?

Main goal is to buff Arrowboys for explode on 6, reroll 1s on hit and +1 to hit.
Give +2 save with the Wardokk and breath spell to my Rogue Idol or my 15 boars to impact Round 1 and tank with a mystic shield.

Keep objectives as long as possible with my savage and arrow and cast some anti-horde spells with the Wurrgog.
 

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Drakkfoot 

LEADERS

Maniak Weirdnob (120)  - General
- Artefact : Burnin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Breath of Gorkamorka

Maniak Weirdnob (120) - Lore of the Savage Beast : Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wardokk (80) - Lore of the Savage Beast : Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wurrgog Prophet (160) Lore of the Savage Beast : Brutal Beast Spirits

UNITS 

15 x Savage Boarboys (390)- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360) 
30 x Savage Orruks (300) - Stikkas

BEHEMOTHS 
Rogue Idol (400) 
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Balewind Vortex (40)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hurben said:

What do you guys think about this 2k list for a tournament next Saturday ?

Main goal is to buff Arrowboys for explode on 6, reroll 1s on hit and +1 to hit.
Give +2 save with the Wardokk and breath spell to my Rogue Idol or my 15 boars to impact Round 1 and tank with a mystic shield.

Keep objectives as long as possible with my savage and arrow and cast some anti-horde spells with the Wurrgog.
 

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Drakkfoot 

LEADERS

Maniak Weirdnob (120)  - General
- Artefact : Burnin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Breath of Gorkamorka

Maniak Weirdnob (120) - Lore of the Savage Beast : Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wardokk (80) - Lore of the Savage Beast : Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wurrgog Prophet (160) Lore of the Savage Beast : Brutal Beast Spirits

UNITS 

15 x Savage Boarboys (390)- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360) 
30 x Savage Orruks (300) - Stikkas

BEHEMOTHS 
Rogue Idol (400) 
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Balewind Vortex (40)

I think you have the right spells and Heros, but i think that when it comes to Boars....Maniaks are best in large units, standard Boar Boyz are better in MSU bc they dont have a large unit bonus. You already have a tarpit in the 30 block...i think you should either split the boars, or make em maniaks for more punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

Maniaks are best in large units

I though they were better in small units.
15 maniaks  in one unit range 1" with no save will be easy to get down, no ? Ok they'll have 8 attacks each and I can buff them as much as possible. What's your vision about that ? Should I play them with save bonuses and breath and let them engage 2/3 units and let them strike everything they can ? Split them in 3x5 units to grab objectives ? Split them 1x10 (go hit and have a better immune for battle shock ?)  & 1x5 (go to objectives)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hurben said:

I though they were better in small units.
15 maniaks  in one unit range 1" with no save will be easy to get down, no ? Ok they'll have 8 attacks each and I can buff them as much as possible. What's your vision about that ? Should I play them with save bonuses and breath and let them engage 2/3 units and let them strike everything they can ? Split them in 3x5 units to grab objectives ? Split them 1x10 (go hit and have a better immune for battle shock ?)  & 1x5 (go to objectives)

With GM's Warcry you can take 2-3 boar units into one unit and combo kill if needed, also would allow the flex of capping multi objectives. The Large Maniaks get an extra attack at 5+ so even though they have a 1" range the extra bodies keep that bonus rolling. I usually run Maniaks in 10's. best with double move/fly spell and exploding 6's spell or +1 to hit. They become a super fast surgeon strike  where you need them (jumping the line to kill those pesky harvesters behind the OBR line and such). So id either go 3x5 boars or 1x10 Maniaks and something else. A battalion may help too that way you get an extra artifact for the handy +1 to cast on the Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

With GM's Warcry you can take 2-3 boar units into one unit and combo kill if needed

Indeed, that's a good point.

46 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

A battalion may help too that way you get an extra artifact for the handy +1 to cast on the Prophet

I can go snaga rukk, because this one doesn't bring the savage big boss.
we'll check ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a question: why do Big Stabbas get 3' range for?  I get these are big spears, but the range doesnt help them in anything. They have to charge up to 0,5 inch anyway and their models are too big to benefit from 3' range as savage orruks with stikkas do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, Requizen said:

Happy new year! I've committed to painting and playing this at an event at the end of the month - engage crazy hobby time:

Clan: Icebone

Wurrgog Prophet - General, Master of the Weird,  Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob - Breath of Gorkamorka, Mork's Boney Bitz
Wardokk - Kunnin Beast Spirits
Savage Big Boss - Kattanak Pelt

Savage Orruks x30 - Spears
Savage Orruks x30 - Spears
Savage Orruk Arrowboyz x30

Rogue Idol

Balewind Vortex

Brutal Rukk (2x Boyz and Boss)

2000/2000

The amount of units is a lot smaller than I'm used to (usually play MSU Stormcast), but it's a lot of bodies. 6 drops is nice too, won't beat everything but will win a lot of deployments. I'm not sure how hyper-competitive it is (or honestly if Bonesplitterz actually have a hyper-competitive build), but it should be fairly strong and fun. 

Went 4-1 with this list this weekend. Could have won the lost game if I had make a couple different decisions (and if my dice weren't absolute trash). Beat Khorne (Brass Stampede), BCR (3x Stonehorn), Living City (Wood Aelves + Alarielle and Durthu), and OBR (Petrifex + Nagash). Lost to Slaves (Mortal Despoilers). 

Overall a great weekend and I now feel much more confident with the army. Thoughts for list updates:

  • I do think I want to add some more good Rend damage. Spear weight of dice is great until you hit something with 3+ armor or similar, and then they just bounce off even with exploding hits. However, that's really only another Idol or some Big Stabbas unless I start hitting Allies.
  • Brutal Rukk feels so impactful for mobility, that even if I go to 30 + 10 Spears instead of 30 + 30, I might want to keep it for the speed. 
  • Rogue Idol is really, really solid. I've had him go off by himself and do work, kept him back as a buffing countercharge, and sometimes just put him as the primary deterrent threat that people play around. He's not quite a Stonehorn or VLoZD, but he's about as good as we get for the points. 
  • Arrowboyz honestly didn't wow me, but I think I didn't use them very effectively. People mainly avoided their range, and it was hard to get them all into shooting range at the same time. Even when they do, unless you're stacking buffs they tend to bounce off with their Rend0. I feel like I want some ranged threat in the list, but there were not a lot of times I really felt they were truly threatening.
  • I'm fairly torn on Icebone. I'm not making use of the CA obviously, but the Rend is super handy... when it goes off. Is it better than a different artifact for Clan-less? Is it better than preventing Retreats for Bonegrinz? I'm not sure, honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Requizen said:

Went 4-1 with this list this weekend. Could have won the lost game if I had make a couple different decisions (and if my dice weren't absolute trash). Beat Khorne (Brass Stampede), BCR (3x Stonehorn), Living City (Wood Aelves + Alarielle and Durthu), and OBR (Petrifex + Nagash). Lost to Slaves (Mortal Despoilers). 

Overall a great weekend and I now feel much more confident with the army. Thoughts for list updates:

  • I do think I want to add some more good Rend damage. Spear weight of dice is great until you hit something with 3+ armor or similar, and then they just bounce off even with exploding hits. However, that's really only another Idol or some Big Stabbas unless I start hitting Allies.
  • Brutal Rukk feels so impactful for mobility, that even if I go to 30 + 10 Spears instead of 30 + 30, I might want to keep it for the speed. 
  • Rogue Idol is really, really solid. I've had him go off by himself and do work, kept him back as a buffing countercharge, and sometimes just put him as the primary deterrent threat that people play around. He's not quite a Stonehorn or VLoZD, but he's about as good as we get for the points. 
  • Arrowboyz honestly didn't wow me, but I think I didn't use them very effectively. People mainly avoided their range, and it was hard to get them all into shooting range at the same time. Even when they do, unless you're stacking buffs they tend to bounce off with their Rend0. I feel like I want some ranged threat in the list, but there were not a lot of times I really felt they were truly threatening.
  • I'm fairly torn on Icebone. I'm not making use of the CA obviously, but the Rend is super handy... when it goes off. Is it better than a different artifact for Clan-less? Is it better than preventing Retreats for Bonegrinz? I'm not sure, honestly.

Seems quite strong, how did you manage the petrifex matchup with so little rend?  That's been my concern with going more bonesplitter heavy.  I tend to focus on ironjaw units in my Big Waagh army specifically because I worry about going heavy into bonesplitter and having no answer to petrifex except fist of gork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tripchimeras said:

Seems quite strong, how did you manage the petrifex matchup with so little rend?  That's been my concern with going more bonesplitter heavy.  I tend to focus on ironjaw units in my Big Waagh army specifically because I worry about going heavy into bonesplitter and having no answer to petrifex except fist of gork.

The Nagash version of the list is actually quite light on bodies, since the big guy is so expensive. I played the objective game, bogged down one side of the board in Boyz while the Arrows and Idol cleaned up the other side handily. The Spears didn't do basically any damage, but 30-60 Boyz will outnumber 20 Mortek basically whenever. I don't think I win that game in Hero missions like Three Places of Power, Nagash just holds one and Magic-kills the other Heroes. It'd be difficult in Starstrike and Knife as well, but that's like any matchup honestly. 

I think the Katakros OBR lists are much stronger and I'd struggle more against them, but that's why I'm considering getting more good rend in. Trolls, Big Stabbas, another Idol, or a Mawkrusha (though that one would require switching to Big Waaagh allegiance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The Nagash version of the list is actually quite light on bodies, since the big guy is so expensive. I played the objective game, bogged down one side of the board in Boyz while the Arrows and Idol cleaned up the other side handily. The Spears didn't do basically any damage, but 30-60 Boyz will outnumber 20 Mortek basically whenever. I don't think I win that game in Hero missions like Three Places of Power, Nagash just holds one and Magic-kills the other Heroes. It'd be difficult in Starstrike and Knife as well, but that's like any matchup honestly. 

I think the Katakros OBR lists are much stronger and I'd struggle more against them, but that's why I'm considering getting more good rend in. Trolls, Big Stabbas, another Idol, or a Mawkrusha (though that one would require switching to Big Waaagh allegiance).

Makes sense.  I forgot nagash version was so body light.  Yeah I've been going Big Waagh with a Mawkrusha with metalripper claw specifically for OBR, but then ofcourse I now feel I am inadequately prepared for the shooting meta, so thus why I was looking to bonesplitters for some solutions.  Its just really hard to fit everything in.  If you go Maw Krusha it becomes really difficult to fit in enough bodies AND keep all the buffs you want, but without maw krusha, idol isn't enough on its own, and fitting in idol ironjawz rend 1 AND bonesplitters for mass doesn't quite work out either.  Assuming a nerf comes in for Tzeench maybe Mawkrusha may still be the way to go, but I still worry about the Skaven and hallowheart matchups in that case.  Seems either way I build there is 1 glaring matchup problem, which probably just means we aren't completely OP and should be happy with where our book is haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, picking up the savages soon. I'm torn on which of these icebone lists to start with and what you guys think of them:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Kattanak Pelt
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Units
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (100)

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 217

or

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Kattanak Pelt
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Wardokk (80)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka

Battleline
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruks (240)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (120)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 204

ps: Does the trait [Great Hunter: When using the Tireless Trackers trait, move up to 8" instead of 5.] apply to all tireless tracker movements or just the general?

Edited by Verminlord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, Wengiel said:

I got a question: why do Big Stabbas get 3' range for?  I get these are big spears, but the range doesnt help them in anything. They have to charge up to 0,5 inch anyway and their models are too big to benefit from 3' range as savage orruks with stikkas do.

There are couple ways to utilize their 3" range. First you can keep them screened behind other units. This means that if opponent dares to charge that unit, you have big stabbas to bring some serious hurt to them. Secondly, you can use that range to minimize opponent pile ins. You put one guy within 0,5" range and the rest 3" from your opponent, opponent will be unable to make efficient pile in due to distance his guys have to walk. Thirdly, let's say you charge opponent with say 5-10 boarboys. You charge same unit with stabbas but in a way that only 1 model is within 0'5" of the enemy and rest are behind boarboyz (or any other ork unit). This means that your opponent has very few attacks (assuming the unit being attacked is not some monster) to hit your stabbas with, which means that you can safely attack with boarboyz first and then stabbas. Finally 3" range means that if opponent has done some aggressive pile-in moves, they may end up pulling your stabbas into combat and having 3" range plus 3" pile-in should make it very easy to get all stabbas in combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 4:16 AM, Verminlord said:

ps: Does the trait [Great Hunter: When using the Tireless Trackers trait, move up to 8" instead of 5.] apply to all tireless tracker movements or just the general?

All eligible units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what was in Ben Savva list at warhammerworld heat 1 to beat 3 Tzeentch list? I know I m going to see a lot of those

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azdimy said:

Anyone know what was in Ben Savva list at warhammerworld heat 1 to beat 3 Tzeentch list? I know I m going to see a lot of those

I see him play Bonegrinz, Kop Rukk lists with a lot of boars. He seems to be an amazing player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, Requizen said:

The Nagash version of the list is actually quite light on bodies, since the big guy is so expensive. I played the objective game, bogged down one side of the board in Boyz while the Arrows and Idol cleaned up the other side handily. The Spears didn't do basically any damage, but 30-60 Boyz will outnumber 20 Mortek basically whenever. I don't think I win that game in Hero missions like Three Places of Power, Nagash just holds one and Magic-kills the other Heroes. It'd be difficult in Starstrike and Knife as well, but that's like any matchup honestly. 

I think the Katakros OBR lists are much stronger and I'd struggle more against them, but that's why I'm considering getting more good rend in. Trolls, Big Stabbas, another Idol, or a Mawkrusha (though that one would require switching to Big Waaagh allegiance).

 I think that current list is probably better in Big Waagh than any BS allegiance. -1 Rend on 6's is nice, but hitting on 3s & 3s is better. The biggest thing you lose is the pregame move. I honestly think most lists with 30 stikka boys are better in Big Waagggh. I know it's a little sad but it's still a great army.

Idol rerolling 2's to hit and woudning on 2's isn't bad either :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

 I think that current list is probably better in Big Waagh than any BS allegiance. -1 Rend on 6's is nice, but hitting on 3s & 3s is better. The biggest thing you lose is the pregame move. I honestly think most lists with 30 stikka boys are better in Big Waagggh. I know it's a little sad but it's still a great army.

Idol rerolling 2's to hit and woudning on 2's isn't bad either :) 

I've given it some thought. I'm a bit worried about missing Paint save at the start of the game, especially if they do some alpha strike stuff on top of one, but you get to Laugh At Em with the CA right off the bat, as long as they don't pop any Heroes before you can use it. I might try it this weekend.

 

Edit: Just remembered that you would miss out on Monster Hunters with Big Waaagh. While it's not a game breaker, having those chip MWs when charging a monster with Savage Orruks is a big deal, potentially more impactful than just getting better hits (especially if they don't have a MW save like Alarielle, Thundertusks, or Chimeras).  Worth thinking about.

Edited by Requizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...