AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 12/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, Evillincoln547 said:

Thanks! This is my first airbrush work so I’m still figuring it out. How would one apply a gloss coating and or glaze? Airbrush that on as well?

You can find Airbrush Varnish from Vallejo. You can also find Gloss and Matt Varnishes in rattle cans. Gloss or Satin Varnish is better for what I was talking about it because it breaks up the surface tension and helps the wash run into the recesses and not stain or obscure your airbrush work. 

Glazes are basically super thin washes that are applied very lightly (not a lot on your brush). It helps to bring together color transitions and tones down the “airbrushed” look to things. It’s definitely a skill worth working on and it’s not too hard once you figure out the right consistency! 

If you're looking for a fast way to get some wash into the muscles and shadows of your Savage Orruks I'd suggest gloss varnish your minis and then mixup a simple black/dark green oil wash. It's quick to apply and then you clean up any stains on the surface areaswith a q-tip. Again, another useful skill to practice! 

Hello, thinking about Bonesplitterz as a second army to 1000 points (have sylvaneth). Looking for advice on building to 1000 points. Three boxes of the Savage orruks to get batteline boys, big stabbas and two extra bodies to convert into something would be a good buy, or should I drop a box of orruks to get boars? Do Bonesplitterz play fun at 1000 points? I feel that my sylvaneth got alot more enjoyable to use all their toys when I hit 2000 points, and weren't very enjoyable at 1000. Lastly, if I did build up can you get a mawkrusha in to 2000 points under Bonesplitterz? I think not as it runs 460 points. Not sure if I am interested in a big Waaagh but I think it would be cool to convert a Maw Krusha into a Bonesplitterz style beast. 

Won a Meeting Engagement tournament with my boyz a couple of weeks back!

Clan: None

SPEARHEAD: Maniak Weridnob (BoG) w/ Big Wurrgog Mask) / 5x Spear Boarboyz
MAIN BODY: Wurrgog Prophet (BBS) w/ Master of the Weird / Wardokk (KBS) / 20x Morboyz
REARGUARD: 20x Morboyz
Prismatic Palisade

Battleplans were Center Ground, The Borderline, Rearguard Action. No realm rules as this was the first ME event we'd done with a bunch of beginners.

Won with a Major, Major, then a Minor. Minor was to a in incredibly even match with an FeC Blisterskin player, who only lost because of some very dicey rolls from either of us.

Top 3 (Myself, Troggherd, Blisterskin FeC) were separated by 2 points each at the end.

I feel the Wurrgog's not quite a must-take in ME. He's incredible when you're faced with a blob and manage to roll over 10 to wipe half of em out, but most times you struggle to find a use for the second cast, or fail to get Fist of Gork to do its full work. A second Maniak Weirdnob + a CP or another stack of pigs might give the list more tactical breathing room.

I'm heavily considering dropping the second stack of boys in the Rearguard for more pigs. The Morboyz are incredible in ME, but sometimes the battleplan's deployment zones really kneecap the massive blob's deployment. Another consideration is replacing them with Spearboyz for a much sturdier (in melee at least) blob.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:56 AM, GunslingerOy said:

Hello, thinking about Bonesplitterz as a second army to 1000 points (have sylvaneth). Looking for advice on building to 1000 points. Three boxes of the Savage orruks to get batteline boys, big stabbas and two extra bodies to convert into something would be a good buy, or should I drop a box of orruks to get boars? Do Bonesplitterz play fun at 1000 points? I feel that my sylvaneth got alot more enjoyable to use all their toys when I hit 2000 points, and weren't very enjoyable at 1000. Lastly, if I did build up can you get a mawkrusha in to 2000 points under Bonesplitterz? I think not as it runs 460 points. Not sure if I am interested in a big Waaagh but I think it would be cool to convert a Maw Krusha into a Bonesplitterz style beast. 

2 boxes of boyz = 36-40 feral orks which is very likely going to be your sensible maximum at 1k. Use the third one to make yourself a whole bunch of big stabbas (if you really want em) with all your accumulated big stabba parts. Recast the big stabba bits with oyamaru and resin and you'll potentially have yourself a whole bunch! You'll also likely wanna convert up some heroes using the kits, the BS resin models are pricey and you're gonna have a lot of spare bitz after three boxes. Every on foot ork in BS is on a 32mil base, so you'll have everything you need.

1 box of pigs = 10 pigs, again a really good number to be at for the pointage. You may want to spare one of the pigs + rider for a weirdnob conversion, his resin model is both expensive and not very good looking.

The mawkrusha isn't something you can take by default, but you can definitely take it in big waagh. If you do some conversion on it and grab the relevant big sized base you'll be able to run it as a Rogue Idol, which is arguably even better than a mawkrusha in most cases!

And lastly, consider Meeting Engagements for 1k. It's a hell of a lot more compelling that standard 1k, and I think you'll find your Sylvaneth pretty damn good in the format too.

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread. I'm a long time ironjawz player. After my current project I want to jump into bonesplitterz, both as a stand alone, and as a very strong big Waaagh! army with my IJ.

I'm wanting

30 savage, 30 arrow, 12 stabba (my Gristlegore and Thurster friends will just love me😂) , Boarboys (because they're cool, how many do you guys run if at all?) 

Maniak, x2 Wardokk, Big Boss

What's the most cost effective way to build those up? I'm not a stranger to conversions. Thanks for any help! 

Here's the first iteration, props to @PlasticCraic and his great https://plasticcraic.blog/! Keep up the good work bro. Team Green needs more love. I'm convinced at this point that GW is racist against green skin... 

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Bonegrinz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: A Right Monster
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Artefact: Maw-krusha Beast Totem
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Teef Rukk (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 207

Edited by Chase
  • Thanks 1

Hey boyz.

Im a new Bonesplitter player. I started with Warcry and Im moving to AoS slowly. Right now Im preparing to play at my local shop at their 600pt rules:

-max 1 hero in the army

-no army can have a cost greater than 200

So, given that, what composition would you reccomend? Atm having 10arrowboyz, 10 moarboyz, 10shieldboyz with chompaz,  3x2 Bog Stabbas, Wurrgog Prophet and Savage big Boss.

Im also gonna get a box of boarboyz and Warduk. 

For now I have been running with Big Boss, arrowboyz, moarboyz, stabba and shieldboyz but once I get my boars I plan to go with 2 boarboy maniaks, moarboyz, Big Boss and Stabba. What do you think about it?

Also planning to upgrade up to 1000 poibts and more later on. I saw some of your 2k army builds, but Im not a competetive player and I mostly play with my friend who plays Seraphons and also plans to upgrade his army. What would you say?

@WengielWelcome to the tribes.

The models you have are what I started with. I picked up another couple of boxes of SO on foot to build more Arrowboys and Spearboyz. 

I would suggest a Maniak Weirdnob once you hit 1k pts. He can keep up with your Boarboys to buff them.

Also, try a couple of games with each of the tribes to see which you prefer.

Another thing to ask: I just got Orruc Warclans Battletome and Im suprised how they changed the way warclans work.  All of them seem equal and useful, despite Bonegrinz being a little disadvantageous. How do those warclans look when compared to vanilla orcs?(assuming you can choose not to use any warclan)

3 hours ago, Wengiel said:

Another thing to ask: I just got Orruc Warclans Battletome and Im suprised how they changed the way warclans work.  All of them seem equal and useful, despite Bonegrinz being a little disadvantageous. How do those warclans look when compared to vanilla orcs?(assuming you can choose not to use any warclan)

I think the more flexible General Trait system (outside of Bonegrindz) makes them very takeable, if not superior to vanilla. Yes there is the Item tax, but it's usually not too hard to fit in a battalion to get around the first item.

Thats usually where other armies run into issues is that the General Trait half the time isn't very good compared to others. Especially SCE (though thats mainly due to the silliness of Staunch Defender).

13 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I think the more flexible General Trait system (outside of Bonegrindz) makes them very takeable, if not superior to vanilla. Yes there is the Item tax, but it's usually not too hard to fit in a battalion to get around the first item.

Thats usually where other armies run into issues is that the General Trait half the time isn't very good compared to others. Especially SCE (though thats mainly due to the silliness of Staunch Defender).

Thats the thing I wanted to ask for, since as I see the vanilla general traits and items seem pretty cool, especially for more fighty heroes. But that may be my first impression.

7 hours ago, Wengiel said:

Thats the thing I wanted to ask for, since as I see the vanilla general traits and items seem pretty cool, especially for more fighty heroes. But that may be my first impression.

I think I worded my post weird, but thats why Bonesplitterz have an advantage, you don't have to take the General Trait if you don't make the specified model the general.

For example Icebone, the General trait is for the Maniak Weirdnob. If you don't take the Maniak Weirdnob as a general, your general can take the Vanilla traits like Master of the Weird. You just have to lug around Kattanak Pelt as the first item.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year! I've committed to painting and playing this at an event at the end of the month - engage crazy hobby time:

Clan: Icebone

Wurrgog Prophet - General, Master of the Weird,  Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob - Breath of Gorkamorka, Mork's Boney Bitz
Wardokk - Kunnin Beast Spirits
Savage Big Boss - Kattanak Pelt

Savage Orruks x30 - Spears
Savage Orruks x30 - Spears
Savage Orruk Arrowboyz x30

Rogue Idol

Balewind Vortex

Brutal Rukk (2x Boyz and Boss)

2000/2000

The amount of units is a lot smaller than I'm used to (usually play MSU Stormcast), but it's a lot of bodies. 6 drops is nice too, won't beat everything but will win a lot of deployments. I'm not sure how hyper-competitive it is (or honestly if Bonesplitterz actually have a hyper-competitive build), but it should be fairly strong and fun. 

• Like 1

So has anyone had any experience with the new Bonesplitterz army and fighting against Ossiarch Bone Reapers?  A friend of mine from the days of Warhammer Fantasy has finally decided to come around to AoS and he picked up the new Bone Reapers army because he thought the models look cool (I can't ever argue with that line of thinking).  So far I have only played a quick & dirty 1000pt battle with him to show him the rules.  I did not bring a very optimized force and we only played the basic kill each other starter scenario - but it did not go well for Bonesplitterz.  Does anyone have experience playing against OBR with Bonesplitterz?  Our overall lack of rend seems like in general this is just going to be a pretty unpleasant match-up.

• Like 1

Try to wipe out entire units - OBR can't resummon them.

Mortal Wounds bypass their armour saves.

Mortek Guard can only use their Armour re-roll ability in the Combat Phase.

Harvesters will significantly bolster nearby units, so they are high on our target list.

Bonesplitterz are generally faster than OBR. If you can use your speed to dictate combat and objectives it will be easier than trying to take them head on.  

From my own playing of both armies, but I am no expert.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So has anyone had any experience with the new Bonesplitterz army and fighting against Ossiarch Bone Reapers?  A friend of mine from the days of Warhammer Fantasy has finally decided to come around to AoS and he picked up the new Bone Reapers army because he thought the models look cool (I can't ever argue with that line of thinking).  So far I have only played a quick & dirty 1000pt battle with him to show him the rules.  I did not bring a very optimized force and we only played the basic kill each other starter scenario - but it did not go well for Bonesplitterz.  Does anyone have experience playing against OBR with Bonesplitterz?  Our overall lack of rend seems like in general this is just going to be a pretty unpleasant match-up.

First play Drakkfoot. No feel no pain for enemy on wounds.

I personally use Rogue Idol boosted by the Wardokk pray and kunnin spell. It bring it to 2+ save, own feel no pain at 5+ and Bonesplitterz 6+. You can give it a +1 damage on melee weapon with a Warchanter.

last time it broke 40 mortek guard petriflex in 2 rounds. 

You can also use 30 Arrowboyz boosted with brutal spell. It gives you 90 shots 4+/4+. Last time Ive one shot a catapult.

of course there’s also Stabbas but I never tried.

the stuff is also to play some boarboys to rush objectives and block ossiarch units with some others and the Rogue Idol.

Edited by hurben
  • Like 2

This is my anti OBR list. Turns out though if you build your list to kill mortek it also kills everything else.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Bone Krusha
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Savage Big Boss (100)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)

Units

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 191

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belmail said:

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (140)

This is certainly my preference for the battleline setup as well. I opt for a swap of the Skikkas to 30 Arrowboyz who chill behind 8 stabbas in a line flanked by the 20x2 Arrowz. The 8 stabbas are a lot of points. Can go poof pretty easy. I always take 1 extra CP to mitigate a battleshock.

I like your list.

Edited by svnvaldez