AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

38 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm thinking about trying something similar and will be getting some games in on TTS as soon as I can. I posted a bit in the OWC thread about taking Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz vs. Big Waaagh but haven't gotten anyone to weigh in yet.

Bonegrinz definitely seems like it could be powerful, and I also anticipate CP being problematic. The two CAs do in fact stack.

Brutal Rukk seems like an obvious choice for this kind of build, but I do wonder a bit whether maniaks might be better than regular boar boys as they are less reliant on charging to deal damage. The extra point of bravery is also fairly relevant. Even if you take 4 casualties on a unit of 5 maniaks you've got a 50/50 shot to keep the last guy alive. With the little distraction units you only need to keep 1 guy alive to get the full effect.

I wonder about the boar choice as well. I thought min size might be better with regular boars because of the +1 to save from Shields and up to +2 with a Wardokk, but I'm leaning towards two 10 maniaks instead so that they're easier to buff/skip battleshock/last longer in combat and actually do some damage like you mentioned.

Here's my list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Bonegrinz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Command Trait: A Right Monster
- Artefact: Maw-krusha Beast Totem
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)

Units
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 90 / 400
Wounds: 230

I've taken an extra CP and allied in a fungoid purely as a CP battery. I could swap him for another Wardokk or a big boss.

Had trouble fitting everything I wanted on top of a battalion so I haven't taken one. I feel like you need extra bodies in bonegrinz.

I'm also not sure if I should take big stabbas in min units or as one big hammer...

Edited by Verminlord

5 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I wonder about the boar choice as well. I thought min size might be better with regular boars because of the +1 to save from Shields and up to +2 with a Wardokk, but I'm leaning towards two 10 maniaks instead so that they're easier to buff/skip battleshock/last longer in combat and actually do some damage like you mentioned.

Here's my list:

Hide contents

- Warclan: Bonegrinz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Command Trait: A Right Monster
- Artefact: Maw-krusha Beast Totem
Wardokk (80)
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Units
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 90 / 400
Wounds: 230

I've taken an extra CP and allied in a fungoid purely as a CP battery. I could swap him for another Wardokk or a big boss.

Had trouble fitting everything I wanted on top of a battalion so I haven't taken one. I feel like you need extra bodies in bonegrinz.

I'm also not sure if I should take big stabbas in min units or as one big hammer...

Just fwiw the Maw-krusha beast totem is only for Savage Big Boss. You don't have to take it unless you are trying to put an artefact on a Savage Big Boss. Unless it's been eratta'ed and I don't know about it.

@Verminlord

Also I'd probably consider the list with the 10 blocks of maniaks to be a solidly different concept as you aren't really going to use a 280 point unit as a decoy.

Here's the rough variations that I've been working on:

Spoiler

3x Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob

30 savage orruks

30 arrowboys

20 arrowboys

10 boar maniaks

rogue idol

Savage Big Boss

3x Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob

30 arrowboys

2x30 savage orruks

rogue idol

brutal rukk

Savage Big Boss

3x Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob

30 arrowboys

2x30 savage orruks

5 savage boarboys

rogue idol

Savage Big Boss

3x Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob

2x30 savage orruks

2x30 arrowboys

brutal rukk

extra cp

Savage Big Boss

3x Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob

2x30 savage orruks

30 arrowboys

15 savage boarboys (either 3x5 or 1x5 1x10. could also run up to 10 as maniaks)

brutal rukk

Hey all,

Finally getting some games in again and I wanted to hear the thread's thoughts on 10-man squads of Morboyz. Are they too fragile? I'm often playing a Stormcast player whose army benefits from having multiple small units, so I tend to find the big blocks of Savage Orruks (I have 30 x Arrowboyz and 30 x Morboyz) tends to be a bit much. I've thought about running the Morboyz in 10s, or a 20 and a 10, and even dropping the Arrowboyz for some Boarboyz and Maniaks. Any thoughts on the above really appreciated!

4 hours ago, Pedro_L said:

Hey all,

Finally getting some games in again and I wanted to hear the thread's thoughts on 10-man squads of Morboyz. Are they too fragile? I'm often playing a Stormcast player whose army benefits from having multiple small units, so I tend to find the big blocks of Savage Orruks (I have 30 x Arrowboyz and 30 x Morboyz) tends to be a bit much. I've thought about running the Morboyz in 10s, or a 20 and a 10, and even dropping the Arrowboyz for some Boarboyz and Maniaks. Any thoughts on the above really appreciated!

Yeah, I think 30 blocks of Morboyz aren't very practical because of the 1" weapon range. For regular SO's with stikkas a 30 block is fine, but for Morboyz a big chunk of the unit is going to be sitting idle and you aren't even getting a massive regiment discount. Really I'm not much of a fan of Morboyz in general and especially not against SCE as you're basically never getting a monster kill. I'd much prefer maniaks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 9:24 PM, swarmofseals said:

Yeah, I think 30 blocks of Morboyz aren't very practical because of the 1" weapon range. For regular SO's with stikkas a 30 block is fine, but for Morboyz a big chunk of the unit is going to be sitting idle and you aren't even getting a massive regiment discount. Really I'm not much of a fan of Morboyz in general and especially not against SCE as you're basically never getting a monster kill. I'd much prefer maniaks.

I really want Morboyz to be good as that would allow for a solid onedrop army as they are linked to the only multi-hero battalion.  Unfortunately they just don't fit a particular roll as well as other units.  Small units are just outperformed by Boarboys/Manics in almost every way and bigger units really suffer with 1" range and no horde discount, you'll almost always want Stabbas instead.  I sometimes play a unit of 10, maybe two, to hold backfield objectives against weaker flanking units but thats the only role I've found for them.

Hey all. This is what I have been running, but it feels like it could be a lot better. There is a lot of CoS and Death players in our playgroup, and I do alright against them, but I'm wondering if I should swap some things around? Maybe make the list a Drakkfoot one? I would love people's opinions or ideas for improvement.

Icebone

General
Wurrgog Prophet 160pts
Fuelled by the Spirits
Mork's Boney Bitz
Gorkamorka's War Cry
Breath of Gorkamorka

Wardokk 80pts
Kunnin' Beast Spirits

Savage Big Boss 90pts
Kattanak Pelt

Savage Orruks x30 300pts
Full Command

Savage Orruk Arrowboys x20 240 pts
Full Command

Savage Orruk Arrowboys x20 240pts
Full Command

Savage Boarboy Maniaks x10 280pts

Rogue Idol 420pts

Balewind Vortex 40 pts

Kunnin' Rukk 140pts

1990 pts total

Edited by animusCompassionist

Going to a 5 round tournament witht he following. Wish me luck.

Only made a couple of tests, 4 wins against classic lists, Beastclaw, Ironjaw, Kharadrons and daughters. Onelost against Tzeentch flamers.

- Warclan: Icebone
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
Maniak Weirdnob (140)
Savage Big Boss (90)
- Artefact: Kattanak Pelt
Savage Big Boss (90)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (120)
Big Rukk (80)
Snaga Rukk (120)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175

Yes yes i know, i just spend 500 points in bataillons but believe me, this is worthy. The Onedrop thing is HUGE, beeing able to dictate the first turn is a big advantage when playing a shooting army. Plus that reroll is atrocious.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kozokus said:

Only made a couple of tests, 4 wins against classic lists, Beastclaw, Ironjaw, Kharadrons and daughters. Onelost against Tzeentch flamers.

Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
Maniak Weirdnob (140)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Big Rukk (80)
Snaga Rukk (120)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Yes yes i know, i just spend 500 points in bataillons but believe me, this is worthy. The Onedrop thing is HUGE, beeing able to dictate the first turn is a big advantage when playing a shooting army. Plus that reroll is atrocious.

Really cool list, I've been pondering a Big Rukk list too and think this is probably the best variant.  Two questions, why no artifact on the Wierdnob? and do you find the Balewind useful given your spells don't really struggle for range?

Would also love to see some battle reports.

5 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Really cool list, I've been pondering a Big Rukk list too and think this is probably the best variant.  Two questions, why no artifact on the Wierdnob? and do you find the Balewind useful given your spells don't really struggle for range?

Mistake in the list about the missing artifact. I put the mystic paint but it doesn't really matter.

To be honest i stole the list from a guy that made 4-1 in a 32 man tournament loosing to  a misplay vs mass blightkings. But this was pre 2020 points and he had a minimal brutal rukk instead of the snagga rukk, leaving 30 points to insure a tryumph.

The balewind was mostly here for casting fist of Gork, insuring a line of sight and a range. In matchups where no hordes are involved it ensures that i can reach any unit i want with Bone Spirit for the weirdnob. But frankly i wonder if i can cut it to insure a tryumph which is massive for this army.

Edited by kozokus

On 9/12/2020 at 7:29 PM, QuinacridoneGold said:

Can anbody suggest conversions or alternative models for Big Stabbas?

I've seen some very nice conversions based on Fimir (by Benjamin Savva), although they themselves are hard to come by these days!

I've seen them done with Brutes brandishing the big spears too, not naked enough to be Bonesplitterz for my money but it's pretty clear what they are.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, Magnus The Blue said:

I really want Morboyz to be good as that would allow for a solid onedrop army as they are linked to the only multi-hero battalion.  Unfortunately they just don't fit a particular roll as well as other units.  Small units are just outperformed by Boarboys/Manics in almost every way and bigger units really suffer with 1" range and no horde discount, you'll almost always want Stabbas instead.  I sometimes play a unit of 10, maybe two, to hold backfield objectives against weaker flanking units but thats the only role I've found for them.

I wish Morboyz even just had rend -1, then they'd have something of a role within the army.

I was trying to figure out a Big Rukk list and this was my Stab (Stab, Stab!) at it.

Leaders

Wardokk (80)

Wardokk (80)

Wardokk (80)

Wardokk (80)

Wurrgog Prophet (160)

Savage Big Boss (90)

Battleline

10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)

10 x Savage Orruks (120)  (can be swapped out for 5 boars if needed/wanted)

- Chompas

30 x Savage Orruks (300)

- Chompas

Battalions

Big Rukk (80)

Kop Rukk (140)

Kop Rukk (140)

Brutal Rukk (140)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 193

On 9/12/2020 at 1:56 PM, Grimm50 said:

@kozokusWhy are you choosing Icebone over Drakkfoot?

Personal choice. 

-I prefer a passive ability that works against anyone rather thoses armies with shrug saves. It is a solo tournament so you have to be generalist.

-The command ability is gamebreaker when used cleverly. Having a unit in combat  but pigs at 2,9" then suddenly you are burning an objective the next turn.

-i really wanted a passive +2 to cast on the wurgog , only vanilla and icebone allows you to take 'master of da weird'

Dunno if it is a correct call, time will tell.

Edited by kozokus

Hey guys,

I already own a boar-heavy list for bonesplitterz, which is a lot of fun. 
Now I want to prepare for orctober and I was thinking about expanding my collecting with boys on foot.

The big question is: How difficult is it to magnetize the weapons? So I can use them as arrowboys as well as as Savage Orruks? 
If somebody already did that, what kind of magnets do I need? size/strength? Would be great to here if somebody as experience with that!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, kozokus said:

Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
Maniak Weirdnob (140)

- Artefact: Magic paint
Savage Big Boss (90)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Big Rukk (80)
Snaga Rukk (120)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Hello,

The tournament just ended. Spoiler i went 4-1, losing in the final. Was 6 out of 50 in the final ranking.

It was a 50 guy tournament for qualifiquation for the great Final in Paris. Nothing perticular to says, the scoring was 12 for a minor win, 16 for a major + X secondary objective out of 3 +1 if you made them all. the looser gets 20-"the winner score" points.

Lists : https://www.aosff.fr/sites/aosff/files/2020-10/Listes Coupe SE 3.pdf

Game 1 

Ballec with Lurid Haze Slaanesh. Knife in the heart on Ulgu.

Archaon, chaos lord and sorcerer on foot, 2X20 maraudeurs, 15 warriors, warshrine, pleasurebound. Onedrop army. - Great opponent.

He tries to flank me with 20 maraudeurs and a chaos lord, there is a trick to make his second pile in 6" but i prevent him, only loosing 5 pigs in the process. He lacked any plan for them and i outshoot them on my turn while archaon fully buffed advance on my objective. I send the weirdnob, 20 archers 5 pigs and a boss to his objective, making a long run. He made a huge mistake by insisting archaon on my objective instead of trying to kill my attack team. Archaon finally dies on turn 4 after more than 300 shots in the face while my 20 archers make a huge flying 10 move + charge on his objective. Win.

Trophy room : Archaon and a warshrine.

Game 2

Dark rogan with a Changehost in guild of summoners on better part of valor on aqshy. - Great opponent.

Lord of change, 2 pink heroes, changelin, 3X10 pink and 20 brim.

Interesting list but the scenario shows its weak spots. To summarize he only gets 2 of his objective and capture one of mine T1 but i obliterate his unit of pink before he can burn it. Now he is sitting on 2 obj while i controle 4. Having 6 battleline shows its strenghs. He abandon the main objective and concentrate on the secondary objectives. Win.

Trophy room : 3 Lord of change.

Game 3

Goblinlord with Flesheater in feastday on Places of Arcane Power in Ghur.

Terrorgheist, Archregent, Horror courtier, Wargulf, 9 Horrors 2X10 ghouls 6 flayers and Royal mordants.

This is one of my other tournament list so i know it by heart. Having 1 drop vs 5 is strong here. I simply seised all 3 objectives while making a wall of wounds that he will only pierce on turn 3. I almost never attacked except for the terrorgheist that i was afraid of. I blocked the big ghoul unit with a side charge, which render them useless for 2 turns, saved me some time. When he reaches my heroes it is too late. He then concentrate on secondaries. Win.

Trophy room : 1 Terrorgheist.

Game 4

Bulders and his fyreslayers on Forcing the hand on Hysh.

General runemaster, magmadad, runesmiter, baner, 20 and 10 berzerkers, 3X5 auric heartguard and fyrewall LotL and forgebrethen 3 poses.

Fyreslayers was one of my favourite tournament army so i know his list better than him. Terrible opponent, Spend a considerable amount of time complaining about his dice rolls, never realizing that he go all 4 initiatives and the mistakes he made. He also (unintentionaly?) cheated two times by misreading prayers to make them FAR better than they are.

I let him go first and he made a turn1 into nothing score 4. On my turn i shoot my maximum at his 10 zerk unit to reduce it to 4 models and score 3. He goes on turn 2 and advance toward me. He take the bait and try to attack some pigs with the runefather. on magmadroth but fail. On my turn i blast his magmadroth, which was a core objective to my plan in this game. Then with on flank completly free with only auric heartguard to guard it, the game transform into a moving game where he catch my units one by one while they fly over him, seising a maximum of his objectives each turn. I can't prevent him from scoring my big objective 3 times but in the end the score is 25-20. Win!

I didn't even try to attack his big unit of berzerkers but once you have killed the rest, they can't be everywhere. For me the game was "just as planned".

Trophy room : 1 magmadroth.

Game 5

Gulthar with Kharadron Zilfin on Fecal point on Shysh.

general flying endrinmaster, aetherkhemist with the warpvortex, navigator, 3X6 riggers, 10 arkhanauts, 2 gunhauler, ironclad with dealbreaker and harpoon, ironskycommand , 3 poses.

Andrea is my friend and we came together in car to this tournament, it is funny that i only face him in finals. He plays my own army/models which i lent him and which i won a 5 round tournament with it too.  Whoever wins, one of my armies wins! We trained a lot together before and he is basically the only one in the room that knows how my army plays, which puts him far away from my opponents. As i created his list too, i also know what is going to happen.

He deployed on a single obj FAR WAY, I took the first turn, and use my pregame movement + kunnin rukk movement to seise all 5 objective right away, i shoot his arkhanauts reducing the count to 3 and charged the ironclad and a unit of rigger with archers and pigs (to force them to fky high instead of moving normally). Then he dropped the spell and get away to the part where the weakest units where and blasted them away. He made the right choice by prioritizing the death of the weirdnob shaman and his breath of gork spell, while i made a mistake by misplacing a 20 archer unit and making it useless for 2 turn. Then the worst happened and he double turned me. continuing the  grinding of orks. I got lucky and manage to get a 1 on a bravery test, which prevent him from scoring a twin objective. My misplacement will cost me the game in the end, he will finally outscore me on turn 4, but i managed to kill all gunhaulers 6 riggers, while he tables me on turn 5 killing the magic paint warboss last (he resisted 700 point of army shooting at him and died to an attack of crewman of the ironclad). Loose. I unintentially cheated by casting the balewind vortex near an arcane terrain, until someone pointed me that the terrain is also nullificator, dispelling it immediatelly, Derp!

Afterthoughts on the list.

Incredible.

The combinaison of having 1 drop, 4 heroes and 6 battlelines puts you so far ahead in a lot of scenarios. 

You can't really get unlucky when you are throwing 60 dices at once and looking for 5+, but you can get lucky.

The Fnp 6+ reroll was a huge part of my sucess, really, no joke. I was infuriating for my opponents. When you are throwing 6 dices and look for a 4+ you don't notice that you made three 6' but when you search for 6... suddenly you see where it is going. Against Rend 0 you are throwing 3 dices for each wounds. Against Dammage 3-4-5 you can get very granular and end with heroes on 1 wound left onstead of beeing oneshotted. I hardly thing Bonesplitterz without bigrukk now. The shining paint make it 4+ on one of my warboss and made him almost unkillable, eating rounds and rounds of shooting, bolts of tzeentch, dhorghar's claw, etc...

Onedimentionnal armies like BCR, daughters, Ironjaws seems defendless against this list as they have to eat 2 walls of chaff before beeing shooted away.

The pregame movement is one of the best assets. Completly change the turn1.

Double Kunnin Rukk makes the opponent think twice about your potential movement when he realize that your unit can move 20" while flying and can threaten anything on the board and then charge at +2. Everyone sees the doubleshoot but in the end i won by movement more than actual shooting.

Fists of Gork cast at +2 was a terror for my opponents.

The mystic warpaint was a very good blind choice. Making someone a lvl2 caster. and sometimes you can cast breath of gork twice, which made one of my opponent abandon in the testings.

The only choice i can think of is throwing the balewind. It was good but i could have make it without and use the pre game mouvement to catch what i needed with fists of gork or by having a better placement. It was a good out-of jail card sometimes but i missed an insured tryumph. Tryumph are good when you are throwing 60 dices on 5+ with exploding 6'. Plus you never saw the face of your opponent when you are rolling 20 saves at 6+, rereolled them, then 6+ FNP and reroll them again.

Edited by kozokus
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3