AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I have been toying around with getting into bonesplitterz for a little while now for their spell casting ability, and with aos2.0 giving so many more spells i thought it would be a good time.

What do people think of this list? Wanted to go heavy on spells but also shut down opponents spells. 

990pts

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh : Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh : Hand of Gork or Mork
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Squirmy Warpaint 
- Artefact : Ju-ju Wotnotz 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh : Squiggly Curse
Orruk Warboss on Boar (140)
- Boss Choppa & Shield
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales 
- Allies
UNITS
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
BATTALIONS
Snaga Rukk (170)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

11 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Interestingly, from what I can tell the drakkfoot spell will stack with the Wurrgog's command ability.  They specifically changed the Wurrgog's command ability so that you cannot trigger it more than once on a unit but they did not alter that spell.  I am curious if they simply forgot that exists or they purposefully allowed it.  I'm not sure how often I would want to stack those on a single unit as opposed to using them on different units but I am sure it would come in handy at some point.

I would imagine it's by intent. It's nothing that we weren't already able to do before. In theory a boarboy maniac in a drakkfoot could pile in and attack 4 times in a round (admittedly it's very tricky to pull off).

Ultimately a Kunning Rukk is better due to the efficiency of arrow boys, but moreboys in a kopp rukk are probably our second best option once they are buffed up. Big stabbas are also good candidates. The main problem is finding points to fit in everything you want to after meeting all the requirements and battalion costs.

Now that the new edition is out and running, id like to do a poll to see where our spells sit as far as ability and usefullness. Here are my thoughts but id love to see yours too....

Squigly curse - before was decent bc compared to bolt...but now i believe this is a huge buff both bc bolt nerf and the look out sir rule for characters. Buff this bad boy with some range and here we go with some good ole fashioned character sniping.

Hand of Gork - i may be biased bc this one has always been clutch for me, but i feel that this is one of the best spells in the game. 2x (or 3x on dbbl) movement has sooo many applications in alpha strike and/or objectives. Unlimited range means it can be very hard to stop if cast in a corner. Now we have things like cogs which can mean the fastest movement in the game cogs+icebone+HoG is 26 (39) inch move maniaks!!

Brutal Beast Spirit - great all around buff -  of course for the kunnin ruk (whether this is point viable or not is to be seen) but also great for any unit we need to be more punchy. Also can double the procs on the warboss command ability.....i feel that this spell is unchanged but still solid in 2.0

Kunnin Beast Spirit -  though this spell doesnt always make the cut for me, i feel it is still very usefull. With all the things that proc on 6+ out there having some protection for a key unit really helps us tarpitt when we need to.  Throwing this and mystic shield on a big block of savage boys and you got a unit that is as hard to shift as our book can muster. I rate this one ok.

Bonecrusha - I feel the need to be close is perhaps more viable due to look out sir, but i still feel like this spell is meh. Now i know you could get in the mix....see if you cast it on doubles...then pick a choice target, but i feel that it puts our squishy casters at too much risk to be effective.

Gorkamorka's War Cry -  Is this one of the best spells in the lore, or is it utter garbage. The 18" range made this tough, but there a multiple ways to boost this now. I dont need to go into why the movement debuff is the best part of this spell, but the fact that is move+run+charge debuffed is mega....just ask a nurgle player. The problem is that there are a lot of deamons out there, and withlegion + nightahunt we are seeing a lot more undead so our at best bravery is ****** in those matchups. Im not sure though.

These are my thought....please let me know yours. I think this is a conversation worth having bc the GHB states clearly that artifact/command abilities/spells are picked with the roster. What do you all think?

• Like 1

Was playing with new artefacts, so got this as a result:
Allegiance: Bonesplitterz - Mortal Realm: GHUR

LEADERS
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Squirmy Warpaint
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm (-1 to hit against us, +1 to Move)
+6 for Run from Brutal Rukk

Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits

Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask (love this stuff, plays greatly in every 2 out of 3 games)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork 

Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Rockjaws (in shoting phase D3 MW on 3+ for enemy unit in 8")
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha

UNITS
10 x Savage Boarboyz (200)
mobile combat group, charging|retreating and stuff

2 x Savage Big Stabbas (100)
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (100)
our brave kamikaze-unit, relying on Hand of Gork

10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)
another kamikaze-support, holding points, hunting on Monsters

20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (280)
fire support, holding points

BEHEMOTHS
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
run forward, kill everything, die, give +1 to hit to Morboys - that's the plan

BATTALIONS
Teef Rukk (100)
Brutal Rukk (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40) 

TOTAL: 1940/2000 
WOUNDS: 171 
LEADERS: 4/6 
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 3
ARTEFACTS: 3/3 
BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) 
BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 
ALLIES: 160/400

so, what do you think guys?

42 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

Now that the new edition is out and running, id like to do a poll to see where our spells sit as far as ability and usefullness. Here are my thoughts but id love to see yours too....

Squigly curse - before was decent bc compared to bolt...but now i believe this is a huge buff both bc bolt nerf and the look out sir rule for characters. Buff this bad boy with some range and here we go with some good ole fashioned character sniping.

Hand of Gork - i may be biased bc this one has always been clutch for me, but i feel that this is one of the best spells in the game. 2x (or 3x on dbbl) movement has sooo many applications in alpha strike and/or objectives. Unlimited range means it can be very hard to stop if cast in a corner. Now we have things like cogs which can mean the fastest movement in the game cogs+icebone+HoG is 26 (39) inch move maniaks!!

Brutal Beast Spirit - great all around buff -  of course for the kunnin ruk (whether this is point viable or not is to be seen) but also great for any unit we need to be more punchy. Also can double the procs on the warboss command ability.....i feel that this spell is unchanged but still solid in 2.0

Kunnin Beast Spirit -  though this spell doesnt always make the cut for me, i feel it is still very usefull. With all the things that proc on 6+ out there having some protection for a key unit really helps us tarpitt when we need to.  Throwing this and mystic shield on a big block of savage boys and you got a unit that is as hard to shift as our book can muster. I rate this one ok.

Bonecrusha - I feel the need to be close is perhaps more viable due to look out sir, but i still feel like this spell is meh. Now i know you could get in the mix....see if you cast it on doubles...then pick a choice target, but i feel that it puts our squishy casters at too much risk to be effective.

Gorkamorka's War Cry -  Is this one of the best spells in the lore, or is it utter garbage. The 18" range made this tough, but there a multiple ways to boost this now. I dont need to go into why the movement debuff is the best part of this spell, but the fact that is move+run+charge debuffed is mega....just ask a nurgle player. The problem is that there are a lot of deamons out there, and withlegion + nightahunt we are seeing a lot more undead so our at best bravery is ****** in those matchups. Im not sure though.

These are my thought....please let me know yours. I think this is a conversation worth having bc the GHB states clearly that artifact/command abilities/spells are picked with the roster. What do you all think?

Very nice insights.

So with the Chronomantic Cogs does the Hand of Gork double (or triple) that +2 to move??

58 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

If you include the Umbral Spell Portal then the utility of this spell goes way way way up in my opinion.  You should be able to cast this spell at the point-blank setting without too much issue.  I am looking at the damage spells a lot harder for the Kopp Rukk now that the Spell Portal solves some of the delivery issues.  A bunch of wardoks dancing around and hurling nukes through a spell portal sounds like fun to me!

I am still not really a fan of Gorkamorka's Warcry spell though.  This spell needs to have a base line casting effect that always triggers (such as the mortal wounds).  Right now the spell can often just do nothing after you cast it and I simply don't like abilities like that.  I would probably use the spell if it had a base line effect and then you made  the bravery roll to try to get the enhanced effect.  But as it stands now, and with the mediocre bravery of Bonesplitter heroes I don't feel this spell is overly great compared to the others.  It can be handy against some poor bravery units, but in general our infantry can chew up those units without too much issue anyways.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

So I bought a savage big boss to fill my Order slip for free shipping.

since his toe is on the square base, how do people cut the base and put him on a round one?

i too snips and trimmed around the rock and his toes... then i mixed that into my basing scheme. Just be careful with the snipping.

So I been thinking of starting a Bonesplitterz army and I made a list of what I wanted build up to:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz - Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (140) - General - Command Trait : Squirmy Warpaint  - Artefact :  Mystic Waaagh! Paint  - Lore of the Savage Waaagh : Hand of Gork or Mork
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
UNITS
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
BEHEMOTHS
Aleguzzler Gargant (170) - Allies
BATTALIONS
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1980/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2     WOUNDS: 195

Just looking for suggestions. I probably don't need two Gargants but since Colossal crusher comes with two I added them in.

5 hours ago, novakai said:

So I been thinking of starting a Bonesplitterz army and I made a list of what I wanted build up to:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz - Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (140) - General - Command Trait : Squirmy Warpaint  - Artefact :  Mystic Waaagh! Paint  - Lore of the Savage Waaagh : Hand of Gork or Mork
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
UNITS
BEHEMOTHS
BATTALIONS
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 1980/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2     WOUNDS: 195

Just looking for suggestions. I probably don't need two Gargants but since Colossal crusher comes with two I added them in.

That is alot of models to build/paint in one hit but looks decent.

I would suggest dropping a giant to put in a Greenskinz warboss, the Waahh command ability is insane on morboys. With the extra points change the Boarboys to Morboy boarboys. I would run them as 2 squads but as 10 is fine as well.

Do we know how realm spells work yet?

I really want to run crazy magic so I'm thinking the morboys and wardokks are the way to go plus a rogue idol for fun.

Does it make sense to run more than one unit of 30 morboys? Should the other be min? What spells and relics are must haves? Paying points for endless spells drives me nuts but they're so cool that I really want to use a few

4 hours ago, Raoiley said:

Do we know how realm spells work yet?

I really want to run crazy magic so I'm thinking the morboys and wardokks are the way to go plus a rogue idol for fun.

Does it make sense to run more than one unit of 30 morboys? Should the other be min? What spells and relics are must haves? Paying points for endless spells drives me nuts but they're so cool that I really want to use a few

When you and your opponent select a realm before the battlefield then all of the wizards in that game gain access to the full list of spells for that realm.  So, you cannot really plan for specific spells with any degree of accuracy than the 50% roll-off for the winner to select the realm.  That said, there are useful spells on every realm list and all of your wizards know them all - so you don't have to sacrifice any of the allegiance spells to use them.  They are basically just fun extra stuff.

Which relics you should take depends on what you are doing.  But, for me personally the first relic I reach for in any Bonesplitterz list is the Big Wurrgog Mask.  I just love that thing.

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

When you and your opponent select a realm before the battlefield then all of the wizards in that game gain access to the full list of spells for that realm.  So, you cannot really plan for specific spells with any degree of accuracy than the 50% roll-off for the winner to select the realm.  That said, there are useful spells on every realm list and all of your wizards know them all - so you don't have to sacrifice any of the allegiance spells to use them.  They are basically just fun extra stuff.

Which relics you should take depends on what you are doing.  But, for me personally the first relic I reach for in any Bonesplitterz list is the Big Wurrgog Mask.  I just love that thing.

Ooooooh yeaaaahhhhh

The Mask is my favourite thing about Bonesplitterz!

My go to Realm currently is Hysh.  Banishment is obviously nuts, and helps a LOT for a zero-rend army (just get rid of that unkillable Deathstar instead).

But also the Light of Battle, an extra access to Battleshock immunity on those big blocks of Morr Boys / Arrow Boys if you are looking to triple bang the Command Abilities for extra attacks.  Healing Glow can be nice on something like an allied Rogue Idol, and Vengeful Illumination stacks rather nicely with the classic Brutal Beast Spirits / Savage Big Boss CA combo.

So if I win the roll off, we're playing in Hysh.

What could be really nice is that a lot of people will probably make Hysh their go to because Banishment is so eye-catching, not realising how much Vengeful Illumination helps a Kunnin Rukk (especially since it is not phase specific).  So you will probably be able to agree on Hysh a percentage of the time without even going to the 50:50 roll off.

Edited by PlasticCraic

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask  
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Granite Choppas
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 192

What about out something like this?

Looks cool, but is 2x 20 Morr Boys the most efficient way to do things?  I'd consider 1x30 and 1x10 maybe, to free up 60 points?  Give yourself an immovable object and a screen.

Also I'd say the Geminids are almost strictly better than the Jaws?  They have to move across (not end within), but you get a massive 18" deploy range to help with that.  And it means they can't be flung straight back at you once they're so far away.  So you're almost getting the second one, with its amazing debuff, for free?

Always love to see some Troggoths in there!  It would be great to hear how they go.

And finally - don't you want Brutal Beast Spirits in there?  It's usually the second one I put in after Hand of Gork.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Looks cool, but is 2x 20 Morr Boys the most efficient way to do things?  I'd consider 1x30 and 1x10 maybe, to free up 60 points?  Give yourself an immovable object and a screen.

Also I'd say the Geminids are almost strictly better than the Jaws?  They have to move across (not end within), but you get a massive 18" deploy range to help with that.  And it means they can't be flung straight back at you once they're so far away.  So you're almost getting the second one, with its amazing debuff, for free?

Always love to see some Troggoths in there!  It would be great to hear how they go.

And finally - don't you want Brutal Beast Spirits in there?  It's usually the second one I put in after Hand of Gork.

I was thinking the geminids would be better and kunnun instead of brutal because I fight blight kings maybe drop the boss for a weird job...foot of fork might be nice with all those boys around 

I think troll at 160 are playable. The also benefit from shooting nerf and inspiring presence change.

Give some rend 1 / 2 to the army, something it's lacking. 

If I had to choose a spell in bonesplitterz, that would be umbral i think. With bonekrusha + curse you can go aggressive on character early, and you're not too vulnarable to mortal yourself. First pick for endless spell would be Gemenid for sure. No competition here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, broche said:

I think troll at 160 are playable. The also benefit from shooting nerf and inspiring presence change.

Give some rend 1 / 2 to the army, something it's lacking. 

If I had to choose a spell in bonesplitterz, that would be umbral i think. With bonekrusha + curse you can go aggressive on character early, and you're not too vulnarable to mortal yourself. First pick for endless spell would be Gemenid for sure. No competition here.

Geminids and the pendulum can put out some good mortals pretty reliably

• Like 1