AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Question for the group (not just relevant to Bonesplitterz, but certainly relevant to the current discussion of Kopp Rukk + Warboss).

Do we think the Waaagh! stacks?

Reading the Warscroll alone, my thoughts were No, because it's a "state".  

But reading the FAQ, I've completely flipped 180 on it.  

The FAQ sets the bar very, very high for not stacking. 

I am definitely not convinced that debates about whether you can be Frenzied multiple times would be specifically noting that it does not stack.

Based on the FAQ, it would have to literally say "This can only be used once per Hero Phase".  Which it doesn't.

I'd always check something like this with a TO in advance, if it's not 100% clear.  But the burden of proof is completely skewed - if it's not clear, it stacks.

Page 3 of the main FAQ:

Q: Can I spend 2 or more command points to allow the same
model to use the same command ability more than once in the
same phase?
A: Yes, unless specifically noted otherwise.

What would people do to finish off this list?

Upgrade the Boar Boys?

Split the second block of Morr Boys into MSU?

Take some damage Endless Spells?

Take some board control Endless Spells?

Take the Triumph? 

(I'm usually pretty keen on a Triumph, but this army already has loads of rerolls and CPs).

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (100)

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
Kop Rukk (200)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 184

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:48 PM, PlasticCraic said:

Upgrade the Boar Boys?

Take the Triumph? 

(I'm usually pretty keen on a Triumph, but this army already has loads of rerolls and CPs).

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline

Units

Battalions
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
Kop Rukk (200)

Think about droppimg the pigs and maniak and upgrading the warboss to a wyvern.  And then adding a 10 Man Unit of boys to sit in the back.  

• Like 1

Ive been revisiting my Savages after about a year break to play LoN,

Since I played a single Kunning Rukk before,ive decided to see what I could do with AoS 2.0 Kunning Rukk.

The following list has been pretty good so far  as im 3-0 vs some mid table armies.

Wurgog Prophet-General,,Brutal Beast Spirits/Squigly warpaint

Savage Big Boss-Gryph Feather Charm

Wardokk-Big Wurrgog Mastk/Hand of Gork

Maniak Weirdnob,Rockjaws/Kunning Beast Spirits

Arrowboys x30

Savage Orruks x10 SnB

Savage Orruks x10 Spear and Board

Savage Orruks x10 Spear and Board

Savage Big Stabbas x2

Savage Big Stabbas x2

Savage Big Stabbasx2

Savage Big Stabbasx2

Bonegrinz Warclan

Kunning Rukk

In many ways im feeling alot better about this build than my 1.0 build,and that one got me an average 60% w/l in tournament play.
Im finding this list to be really versitile with dual threats coming from the Kunning Rukk and the Big Stabbas,,with an added bonus of the Bonegrindz "Loadsa Boyz" ability to bring back any of the line units on a 6...This combined with the Stabbas "Final Fling" makes it very profitable to just through them out ahead as fast as possible(possibly hand of gork em out there).That tactic makes for a higly effective screen and distraction so that the Kunning Rukk can reliably get its shots off to full effect.
  As far as the Kunning Rukk part of the list,,just running one block of 30 arrowboys is by far the most effecient as you will get the double shots off at least 2 times per game.The spell power of the list is above par by current meta standards with 3 casters throwing 4 spells/dispells.The warpaint save is still solid as Bonesplitterz are such a high wound count army.

Overall im pretty stoked about how this build is working and plan to be running it into the next year,,already signed up for a march GT in the local area:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2018 at 11:48 PM, PlasticCraic said:

Upgrade the Boar Boys?

Take the Triumph? 

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline

Units

Battalions
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
Kop Rukk (200)

That's almost exactly the list I'm building too. I tend to drop the Weirdnob, though and either take more stabbers or Morboyz or ally in unit of Brutes. 

I really wish we got more Ally points. I have an Idol of Gork, but he usually sits on the shelf since the Warboss is so good with Morboyz and Stabbas. 

• Like 1

@mcbrain I think she'd work quite well in terms of being a durable Wizard and Hero for objective claiming (I've used her quite a bit in Ironjawz for that role).

In terms of synergy with KBS specifically, bear in mind that rerolls are before modifiers.  So although your opponent is rerolling hits of "6 or more", in practice they are effectively rerolling natural 6s only, because it can't become "or more" until modifiers are applied.

Which is good, because it means that with her spell, a natural 6 does not get modified to a 5, and therefore not rerolled.  It has to be rerolled first, and then reduced by -1 to whatever the new result is.

So yes, I think it would be quite a nice combo, to make a bit unit extra slippery to deal with ?

KBR is usually the 3rd spell I take personally.

You could also further stack -1 to hits with Geminids.  The Palisade (esp if you're not using Arrow Boys), Gravetide and Shackles can also add to the denial / control angle.

You can achieve a similar denial effect with allied Moonclan too (netters and fanatics, or Zarbag's Gits), but it's an "either / or" the Hag or Moonclan because of the Allies cap. 

I think it comes down to a trade off between the extra reliability of Moonclan debuffs and denial vs the extra objective capturing power the Hag brings to the table?

@PlasticCraic, I tried her in a Kop Rukk list today and was not impressed.  She was a stud and her spell was awesome, but the Kop doesn't have the inherent damage to be able to drop 380 points on a debuffing ally. 

The fact that I didn't perform well today was 100% because I failed in the list building phase.  Going to wrack my brain today to see if she can be effective in a Kunnin' Rukk list, or maybe even one with no battalion.  I really hope I can figure out a way for her to be useful with my boys, because I pulled the trigger and bought one this morning.  Worst case scenario, she'd go in with the Moonclan as you mentioned above.

• Like 1

Yeah I guess with Kop Rukk, you need to go the whole hog and build everything around ramping up the volume of attacks on the Morr Boys (and Big Stabbas).  Multiple pile ins and Allied Warboss - which rules out the Hag straight away.

She'll never go to waste mate, she is useful throughout the GA.  I've been playing mostly Mixed recently and she's good in that too.

• Like 1

Just as an attempt at something totally different - here's a first draft attempt at a control + counter punch list.

Setting up multiple hurdles for the opponent to get past, then debuffing them + hitting like a train when they do.

What do you guys think, could it have any legs?  Any changes you would make?

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (100)
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)

Units
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)
6 x Savage Big Stabbas (300)

Battalions
Teef Rukk (100)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Suffocating Gravetide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 146

Edited by PlasticCraic

Hey @broche that's right, the Spells are mainly there to shield your Big Stabbas until you are ready to hit.  With the Boarboys (sideways), scenery and the spells, you should be able to block off units and / or create choke points. They are mainly a cheaper way of controlling more of the board while preventing your Big Stabbas getting shot off. 

Maybe as an artefact you could take the Hypersnare Seeds for added control?

Also the Geminids are there to stack with the Troggoth Hag and hopefully cripple the enemy with stacking debuffs to hit.

When you have manouvered into position, you can either fly the Big Stabbas over the top of the road blocks with Hand of Gork, or if you want to win a cookie you can push the Endless Spells up against a Monster like Skarbrand, then Teef Rukk pile into him without needing to complete a charge.

Boarboys are there to screen and grab objectives, while the Maniaks are similar but with a possibility to beat down minimum Battleline or a lone Hero guarding an objective.

Honestly it’s very light on bodies – the sheer volume of Big Stabbas is probably too much of a luxury with so many points tied up in an Allied Monster.  But it’s a lot different from how I’ve ever ran Bonesplitterz before and I think it could be interesting to give it a go!

• Like 1

Hi, guys.
Indulge me on some theory crafting, if I may. I realized that my stash of miniatures includes a Wurrgog prophet, a Wardokk and what looks like a savage boss from an unknown manufacturer.

Since bonesplitterz' boxes are pretty generous in miniatures (which almost made it up for the lack of an SC! box) I tried to make a functional list with a small number of boxes (4 in this case).

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- Artefact: Ju-ju Wotnotz
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Wardokk (100)
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Granite Choppa & Shield
- Trait: Prophet of da Waaagh!
- Artefact: Lucky Bone

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)

Units
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (100)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

I'm clueless about how to fill up the remaining points. Maniak weirdnob? Trolls? Anyway, let me know what you think.
Cheers!

1 hour ago, Jator said:

Hi, guys.
Indulge me on some theory crafting, if I may. I realized that my stash of miniatures includes a Wurrgog prophet, a Wardokk and what looks like a savage boss from an unknown manufacturer.

Since bonesplitterz' boxes are pretty generous in miniatures (which almost made it up for the lack of an SC! box) I tried to make a functional list with a small number of boxes (4 in this case).

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- Artefact: Ju-ju Wotnotz
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Wardokk (100)
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Granite Choppa & Shield
- Artefact: Lucky Bone

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)

Units

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1800 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 5
Wounds: 153

I'm clueless about how to fill up the remaining points. Maniak weirdnob? Trolls? Anyway, let me know what you think.
Cheers!

I think the Orruk Warboss on Boar is an auto include as an ally in a list like this.  He rides with the Boars most of the time and for 140 his banner gives re-roll to all wounds of 1 for Orruks and his command ability spams extra attacks for Orruks. (Note it says models make 1 extra attack with all of their melee weapons, meaning you get 1 extra choppa and 1 extra boar attack). Really helps just throw a wall of attacks at a target. Also pretty good to buff up the Stabbaz if you need that and with 9 inch move can be where you need it.

Its pretty easy and fun to mock up one from a normal Boarboy.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, TheWilddog said:

I think the Orruk Warboss on Boar is an auto include as an ally in a list like this.  He rides with the Boars most of the time and for 140 his banner gives re-roll to all wounds of 1 for Orruks and his command ability spams extra attacks for Orruks. (Note it says models make 1 extra attack with all of their melee weapons, meaning you get 1 extra choppa and 1 extra boar attack). Really helps just throw a wall of attacks at a target. Also pretty good to buff up the Stabbaz if you need that and with 9 inch move can be where you need it.

Its pretty easy and fun to mock up one from a normal Boarboy.

I'd had given some thought to this idea, and although it makes alot of sense competitive-wise, I'm a bit romantic when it comes to list-building and keeping the theme. Although I guess it could be converted to look more like bonespliterz...

Anyway, I'd been toying with another list (just another box for stabbas and custom wardokks,  still good value) that seems harder to counter, although the lack of cavalry may be a problem:

Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (140)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (140)
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 173

Maybe dropping one unit of stabbas for another wardokk? Thoughts?
  • Like 1

@JatorI think you hit the nail on the head when you worry about the lack of calvary. Speed and movement are the name of the game in AOS and I am afraid that this list can not get the combats you want and will have the terms of battle dictated by faster armies.  I personally think our best lists right now are cav heavy lists like the one that Ian Spink did well with at Facehammer. Something like this:

BS.png.1f7d3dca01acacb26d2fcd6b11e52c50.png

This list really turns  hard into our current strengths, our speedy cavalry units and our awesome magic. I have run something similar in some local games against good opponents and have been quite satisfied.  I think the list is pretty solid.  

Edited by TheWilddog
  • Like 1

Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
- Trait: Waaagh Monger 
- Artefact: Savage Trophy 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Ju-ju Wotnotz 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
Snaga Rukk (170)
Icebone Warclan (160)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 144

I keep coming back to this list but is it too few bodies? Its alot of points in battallions but the extra movement from icebone seems good since cogs isn't guaranteed. 

Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of bringing a unit of Brutes as allies?  Thinking of bringing a set of 5 as second line punch in a drakkfoot list with some support from the obligatory Warboss with Waaagh! Banner.  Something like this. Thoughts?

Leaders
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
Wardokk (100)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Dokk Juice
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Waaagh Monger
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Kunnin' Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (100)

Units
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas
- Allies
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)
Kop Rukk (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 193

• Like 1

I like it, they synergise nicely with the Warboss and give you some much-needed rend.  They are even thematic with their "Duff up the Big Thing" rule!

There are obviously synergy downsides, since they can't get the Hero Phase pile in or receive the buffing spells for example, but you have other units for that. 

I think it would work pretty well.

2 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I think it would work pretty well.

All the dudes in my group chats figure brutes are pretty bad as allies. I’m clearly overlooking something as it looks to me that they have higher potential damage than the same amount of big stabbas I can buy for 180 points (2). 

Edited by mcbrain