AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Turns out I’ve got a few Boarboyz knocking around so I’m going to add a bit of cavalry to my Waaagh. Do the shields, stikkas and Hit and Run make the Savage boarboy an  option or is it Maniaks all the way who do seem the better and more fun option on paper? 

I have never played bonesplitterz, but I would guess it depends what your army is lacking.  If you want them killing things the extra 40 points for maniak looks like it adds more killing power than the cost.  My personal plan was to use the run retreat to hold stuff up until stabbas can arrive, though.  

Something along the lines of:

Boarboys: 10,10,5,5

Stabbas: 6,6,4, teef ruk

Wardok:2

Wurgogg:1

Fungoid:2

Team fighting exactly where you want them, stabbas getting first hit with all the mobility and 3" reach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Turns out I’ve got a few Boarboyz knocking around so I’m going to add a bit of cavalry to my Waaagh. Do the shields, stikkas and Hit and Run make the Savage boarboy an  option or is it Maniaks all the way who do seem the better and more fun option on paper? 

more than anything...the price of the unit makes them a decent option. They nab objectives on the cheap, but i have seen where they just tip a screen then hit a squishy unit in the back next turn due to hit and run. Problem is that they are extremely pillow-fisted and only can take on weak units, where as maniaks can do a little more heavy combat lifting by sheer volume of attacks.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hankster said:

Thanks for the advice guys/gals. My first batch of WAAAGH!!! crazed orruks are in the mail. 

One more noob question. The 6+ save the you get for Bonesplitterz allegiance. Is that on all wounds (a save after the save) like the DoK get or just on Mortal Wounds?

The "Warpaint Save" is something you get for each mortal wound suffered.The additional effect is to make any armor save be a success on a 6,,as in ignore rend pretty much.However on failed saves the full damage caused goes through unless of course you have another way to stop that.
 So basically it is not really a "unsaved wound" save like death and others  get,,that being for each wound allocated.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 2:55 AM, Thostos said:

The "Warpaint Save" is something you get for each mortal wound suffered.The additional effect is to make any armor save be a success on a 6,,as in ignore rend pretty much.However on failed saves the full damage caused goes through unless of course you have another way to stop that.
 So basically it is not really a "unsaved wound" save like death and others  get,,that being for each wound allocated.

This.

Think of it basically as a 6+ save for everything.  Take a normal wound? 6+ save.  Take a mortal wound? 6+ save.

22 hours ago, mcbrain said:

This.

Think of it basically as a 6+ save for everything.  Take a normal wound? 6+ save.  Take a mortal wound? 6+ save.

I'm a bit confused. I thought @Thostos said it was only for mortal wounds not all wounds. But you understood it as a save for everything like death and the Daughters of khaine get?

If so that's awesome.

Edited by Hankster

9 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

There are two abilities.  One is a 6+ to ignore a mortal wound.  The other is that your armour save can never be worse than 6+, no matter the rend.  So you get a 6+ (at worst) against stuff that allows armour saves, and a 6+ against mortal wounds.

This is what I was trying to get across in a simple explanation.  Just think of it as you always get 1 six up save against any kind of wound.

Edited by mcbrain

I'm in the process of building up my army and I'm trying to stay away from Kunning Rukk and arrow spam. Partially because it doesn't seem very ork like, and partially because that's too many dice to roll. I'm interested on your thoughts on two different lists below. 

All around/Teef list. This list is built around the big stabbas to kill units, but really is a designed to provide a lot of wounds and a high degree to tactical flexibility to play the objective game. The downside is the "killy" parts a quite slow and will be hard to actually get into combat consistently. 

General - Prophet (buff the big stabba / get units into combat in hero phase) 

Weirdnob (buff the big stabba)

Wardokk (or use the 100p for Teef Ruck)

30 Savage Boyz (the protect the the stabbas and hold up units for them)

4 Big Stabbas or 2 x 2 BS (provide most of the damage of the army are bubble wrapped by the Boyz)

30 Arrowboyz (hold objective provide some shooting support)

10 Morboys (utility unit to screen or hold objectives) 

10 Savage boarboys w spears (hunt monsters, grab objectives, hold up the enemy with retreat and charge for the big stabba)

10 Savage boarboys w spears (hunt monsters, grab objectives, hold up the enemy with retreat and charge for the big stabba)

2000 points and 244/249 wounds 

Bring da Pork/Shagga list. This list is more focused on charging around the board quickly to take objectives and do as much damage as possible. Its killing power come from the boarboy Maniaks buffed by both Weirdnobs and Ork warbosses. The issue I see with this list is that it basically does what the Ironjawz do, but probably not as well since the units don't hit as hard. I think it would be a lot of fun to play though, and after all the point of Orks is to enjoy the WAAAGH not win it. ;) 

General - Ork Warboss on boar with Banner (use WAAAGH to buff the Maniaks and try not to die)

Ork Warboss (or replace with Skagga Rukk) 

Weirdnob (buff the Maniaks and try not to die)

Weirdnob (buff the Maniaks and try not to die)

30 Savage Boyz (utility hold objectives, get in the way, hold up units for the stabba)

2 Big Stabbas (provide a little punching power)

30 Morboys (go after objectives, try to get the WAAAGH buff for weight to attacks, shield Maniaks where possible)

10 boarboy Maniaks (Charge everything and do as much damage as possible)

10 boarboy Maniaks (Charge everything and do as much damage as possible)

10 Savage boarboys w spears (hunt monsters, grab objectives, hold up the enemy with retreat and charge for Maniaks)

1980/2000 points and 242/236 wounds

What do you guys think? I have yet to play a game with my Bonesplitterz, so I'm not really sure how the units actually play, particularly the big stabbas. 

I went 3W-2L at Socal this past weekend. As always, Scott reed put on amazing event. 

I brought a kop rukk (w/ 3 wardokks 30 man 20 man and 10 man) , rogue idol, prophet, and a 6 base unit of big stabbas.

Lost a close game 1 to a deathmarch army. Apparently the player won Broadside bash earlier this summer. My other loss was to a sylvaneth. I was just out played and couldn't keep up with their tree walking and movement.

Overall a good event and I'm going to continue to work on my kop rukk list.

• Like 1

@Oreaper84 I would love an actual foot of Gork/Mork stomping round. 

Personally, though I'd rather have a new behemoth unit. I'd love to see an Avatar of Gork or Mork made out of pure WAAAGH! energy that shows up in battle 'cuz of the Bonesplitters belief in Gorkamorka would be brilliant. It could be something like the Eidolon's the Deepkin have and be built to either be a super smashy melee focused Avatar of Gork or a magic and kunnin' focused Avatar of Mork. If it existed I'd buy in a heart beat and play it with both my Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz. 

I'd love a big centrepiece, but I'd prefer something without the Monster keyword, for two reasons:

1) Fits the lore.

2) Exploits some very patchy rules writing in this game, where some definitions of "Big Thing" trigger off Wounds characteristic. and some trigger off the Monster keyword.

Examples of the former: whether you can fit on a Balewind, whether you can be one-shotted by Purple Sun.

Examples of the latter: whether you gain a cover save, whether you benefit from "Lookout Sir". 

Meaning  that large units like the Eidolon of Mathalan and Cauldron of Blood enjoy signifcant defensive bonuses intended for small units.

It is only ever a disadvantage to have the Monster keyword, and it fits our narrative to swerve it, so let's go with that.

So a couple of things that could fit that role:

- Morkite Hurricanum, a buff wagon with a Shrine of Mork on the back that spits out Mortal Wound and Battleshock Immunity auras

- Gorkite Hurricanum. alternative build to the above which spits out extra attack and Rend buff auras

- Wurggog Prophet on Savage Boar Chariot, a big centrepiece Chariot with a Wurggog and his chosen Wardokks on the back, pulled by a team of 6 Boars.  Has a kickass Warscroll spell, and comes with a Command Ability that gives Boarboys mortal wounds and / or rend on the charge

All of the above would give you a durable Hero / Wizard for those missions too.

Edit: or maybe the Morkite Hurricanum could improve your Warpaint save and DP to a 5+ instead of pumping out Mortal Wounds.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/31/2018 at 6:47 AM, williegoat said:

I went 3W-2L at Socal this past weekend. As always, Scott reed put on amazing event. 

I brought a kop rukk (w/ 3 wardokks 30 man 20 man and 10 man) , rogue idol, prophet, and a 6 base unit of big stabbas.

Lost a close game 1 to a deathmarch army. Apparently the player won Broadside bash earlier this summer. My other loss was to a sylvaneth. I was just out played and couldn't keep up with their tree walking and movement.

Overall a good event and I'm going to continue to work on my kop rukk list.

I went 3-2 about a month ago down here in NZ with a Kop list.

3x Dokks

Wurrgog

Big Boss

Allied Warboss with Waaagh Banner

2x30 morboys

2x5 maniak boarboys

Spell Portal

Soulsnare Shackles

Kop + Drakkfoot

My two losses were to the nation's #1 player (4xVLOZD list) and the #12 player in the country (Deepkin list filled with eels and both aspects).

There is definite potential in the Kop/Drakkfoot combo.

Edited by mcbrain
  • Like 1

@mcbrain looks good mate, I've been looking at similar lists myself. 

One thing that potenitally could be a little bit of fat to trim is the Big Boss?  I just feel like there is some overlap there with the Warboss (both are there to pop CPs on extra attacks), unless that is deliberate (for redundancy)?

How did you find you went against "tough nuts to crack"?  The Batallions are so expensive that there's not much wiggle room, but you could fit in 4x Big Stabbas (if you dropped the Big Boss and Shackles), or bypass rend entirely and include some damage-based Endless Spells?

Or was the gameplan to go first and swarm the board against unkillable opponents, in which case how is that working for you in practice?

On 10/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, Hankster said:

Hey @Gobsmakka where did you find the points for the Rogue Idol? It's an awesome model. Do you find it to be worth the points? 400 is a lot. 

Its on the last page here: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

Also on the warscroll builder. 400 points is a lot but he's been worth every penny, maybe even undervalued.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobsmakka said:

Its on the last page here: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

Also on the warscroll builder. 400 points is a lot but he's been worth every penny, maybe even undervalued.

well if he was one point more, you wouldn't be able to use the Rogue Idol (keyword Greenskinz) in Bonesplitterz Army since he would pass the Ally point limit. So for playable useful purposes he is probably valued just right.

11 hours ago, mcbrain said:

I went 3-2 about a month ago down here in NZ with a Kopp list.

3x Dokks

Wurrgog

Big Boss

Allied Warboss with Waaagh Banner

2x30 morboys

2x5 maniak boarboys

Spell Portal

Soulsnare Shackles

Kopp + Drakkfoot

My two losses were to the nation's #1 player (4xVLOZD list) and the #12 player in the country (Deepkin list filled with eels and both aspects).

There is definite potential in the Kopp/Drakkfoot combo.

I tried running 10 maniak pigs.. I was always too aggressive w/ them so big stabbas are always a nice deterrent.   The warboss with the banner is always a nice touch for any orruk army but I feel like he lives best in a gorefist from IJ or a teefrukk.     The prophet's command ability has saved me in so many games.  I feel after 2.0 led us away from kunnin rukk.  Kop is probably my favorite option in that book. Congrats on the success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, williegoat said:

I tried running 10 maniak pigs.. I was always too aggressive w/ them so big stabbas are always a nice deterrent.   The warboss with the banner is always a nice touch for any orruk army but I feel like he lives best in a gorefist from IJ or a teefrukk.     The prophet's command ability has saved me in so many games.  I feel after 2.0 led us away from kunnin rukk.  Kop is probably my favorite option in that book. Congrats on the success.

Yeah dude, next time I play that list I will leave the boars out and bring stabbas.

17 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

@mcbrain looks good mate, I've been looking at similar lists myself. 

One thing that potenitally could be a little bit of fat to trim is the Big Boss?  I just feel like there is some overlap there with the Warboss (both are there to pop CPs on extra attacks), unless that is deliberate (for redundancy)?

How did you find you went against "tough nuts to crack"?  The Batallions are so expensive that there's not much wiggle room, but you could fit in 4x Big Stabbas (if you dropped the Big Boss and Shackles), or bypass rend entirely and include some damage-based Endless Spells?

Or was the gameplan to go first and swarm the board against unkillable opponents, in which case how is that working for you in practice?

So, I liked the idea of brutal beast spirits+big boss cp+warboss cp on a unit of morboys.  It worked brilliantly when it needed to.  

The "tough nut" plight was a massive one.  I was absolutely useless against the 4 VLOZD, only killing 5 Dire Wolves before being tabled, and equally as useless against the Deepkin defensive eels.  The lack of rend was DEFINITELY noticeable.  I finished the entire tournament with just south of 3000 kill points which turned my tie for 4th place into an 8th place finish.

I was basically an immovable object once I got on to objectives in most games, with the exception of the two in which I was tabled.  Overall I'd say it was a very good experience for me as a general because it forced me to take an objective based approach over my usual aggro style.  Now that I've learned how to play a bit more tactically, I think that with some tweaking, the list can be really potent.

• Like 1