AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Got my first real game in last night versus Vyrkos Soulblight running 80 zombies. Double Rogue Idol and 10 Boarboy Maniaks did a lot of work in Icebonez. I lost the game, but mostly because I played really poorly at one point. Bonesplitterz Waaaagh! is the real deal, denying my opponent Broken Ranks the turn I activated it. I'm feeling much better about BS after playing it against one of the heavyweights in the meta.  I'm happy that others are feeling the same.

Next up is 6 Wurrgog Prophets!

3 hours ago, crowned said:

After a game against Bonereapers I am really satisfied with Savage Boarboys with Stikkas. With Icebone and a +1 to hit and wound from a source, the -2 rend on piggies you tend to delete a 20 man of Mortek Guard fairly easy.

So for the Boarboys with Stikkas, the warscroll ability says "Add 1 to hit and wound rolls for attacks made with a Stikka or Tusks and Hooves if this unit made a charge this turn."

I interpreted that as you have to pick, right? Since the old warscroll had AND instead of OR.

1 hour ago, Shirtripper said:

It does, thats why I was asking. It used to say and.

Screenshot_20210929-122932_Imgur.jpg

I'm aware of what the warscroll says. What I mean is that when the devs want you to choose something, they describe it explicitly using the language "Choose X or Y". If the ability were intended to be a choice it would most likely read:

"When you choose a unit of Savage Boarboys to fight, if it made a charge move in the same turn choose either Savage Stikka or Tusks and Hooves. Add 1 to hit rolls and wound rolls for attacks made with the chosen weapon."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm aware of what the warscroll says. What I mean is that when the devs want you to choose something, they describe it explicitly using the language "Choose X or Y". If the ability were intended to be a choice it would most likely read:

"When you choose a unit of Savage Boarboys to fight, if it made a charge move in the same turn choose either Savage Stikka or Tusks and Hooves. Add 1 to hit rolls and wound rolls for attacks made with the chosen weapon."

Gotcha.  That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

I've been playing on the safe side by just choosing, and the boars still perform well, so this is even better.

1 hour ago, Shirtripper said:

Gotcha.  That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

I've been playing on the safe side by just choosing, and the boars still perform well, so this is even better.

No problem! Also worth noting that if you did have to choose it would literally never make sense to choose the spears. Would be quite the waste of rules text.

Had my first full 2k game with Bonesplittas a few days ago and they didn't disappoint.  In Icebone every thing unit is a threat, so I used 2*4 big stabbas as a distraction while my Maniacs ran riot (one unit of 10 on Boars and 2 units of 10 on foot).  10 Boarboy Maniacs with Glowy tusks ripped through one flank single handed, even with only 8 getting in to combat (silly coherency) the damage output is insane.  Even the Arrow boys where beating things up in combat. 

The Waggog mask also shone, taking down his general and a Celestant Prime.

Definitely less tricksy now, but tonnes of Orruks charging into anything they can reach just feels right.

• Like 1

Quick rule questions: I was rereading some section yesterday, and i looked at the Marsh Sloggoth and found him interesting in bonesplitterz (+1 to hit is not clan tagged). But I already spotted weird army building rules. It state (translation, book in french) that if you want to be bonesplitterz, every Orruk warclan unit in the armies need the Bonesplitterz keyword (same wording for Ironjaw and Kruleboyz). 

Since Sloggoth is an Orruk Warclan unit but doesnt have any of those keyword, that mean that according to this wording he cannot be taken except in big waaagh.

Am I missing something?

15 minutes ago, broche said:

Quick rule questions: I was rereading some section yesterday, and i looked at the Marsh Sloggoth and found him interesting in bonesplitterz (+1 to hit is not clan tagged). But I already spotted weird army building rules. It state (translation, book in french) that if you want to be bonesplitterz, every Orruk warclan unit in the armies need the Bonesplitterz keyword (same wording for Ironjaw and Kruleboyz). 

Since Sloggoth is an Orruk Warclan unit but doesnt have any of those keyword, that mean that according to this wording he cannot be taken except in big waaagh.

Am I missing something?

You are correct--the Marshcrawla has no Clan keywords, so it can only be taken in Big Waaagh.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, broche said:

I suspect it was not intented and that they will add Kruleboyz keyword in the FAQ

For some reason I had the impression  from the early previews that we could take other Orruk factions as allies. I was disappointed to find out that this wasn't the case. It would have opened up a lot of possibilities without sacrificing our allegiance abilities.

Taking this to a casual 3 round tournament tomorrow. Battleplans are Savage Gains, Tectonic Interference and the Vice. Just gonna hope two drops let me go first each time so I can T1 charge my opponent's lines. Tectonic Interference is only an 18" deployment, so hopefully there'll be some juicy for the prophet to stare at Turn One!

Screenshot_20211001-211234_Drive.jpg

I went 3-0 today! Got 2nd out of 17 due to VP totals. I played STD with no Archaon, Sylvaneth with Alarielle, and new Stormcast.

Every game I charged my opponents entire front line in their deployment area and didnt let them leave. Rogue Idol punch 4 Kurnoth Hunters to death in one combat as well as a block of marauders.

The Savage Big Bosses scored the coolest kill of tournament, with the 2 Bosses dealing 10 to Alarielle thanks to Icebonez. And the big Stabbas were great too. Wurrgog killed a Daemon Prince with an Amulet and failed to kill a Treelord Ancient due to bad rolls, but did 7 MWs to it before his head exploded.

Boars are legit, and I think my list or something close to it is what I'm going to stick with for a long time.

Edited by Shirtripper
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:16 AM, Shirtripper said:

And the big Stabbas were great too. Wurrgog killed a Daemon Prince with an Amulet and failed to kill a Treelord Ancient due to bad rolls, but did 7 MWs to it before his head exploded.

How do you position your prophets for the mask? 12" range feels pretty odd to prepare for your next hero phase.

How big is the run and charge and MW to Monster loss for the Big Stabbas? It feels like the Rogue Idol is almost always the better choice.

2 hours ago, crowned said:

How do you position your prophets for the mask? 12" range feels pretty odd to prepare for your next hero phase.

How big is the run and charge and MW to Monster loss for the Big Stabbas? It feels like the Rogue Idol is almost always the better choice.

For the prophets it depends it on the battleplan. Certain missions only have 18" between deployment zones, so if you deploy him on the frontline your opponent either puts their troops in staring distance or pulls them back. Every other battle plan usually involves the Prophet following around the Rogue idol until I get in range of the units the boars are locking down.

So the thing about the Big Stabbas is that they lost their explosive damage and the run/charge so they take on a different roll now. For me, they follow around the Bosses creating a bubble of effectively 36 attacks that are all 2 damage each, with chances of MWs on 6s to wound. They never got into combat until R3, which is fine since the boars take forever to chew through after they do their initial impacts.

They're still good hammers, they're just not heat seeking missiles anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:57 PM, crowned said:

You can actually alpha strike with them if you're feeling bold: 8" pregame move on an 18" map will hit something on or near the frontline.  Unlikely to be a juicy enough target to be worth it, but you get the point!  Loads of maps are now "smoosh everything into the middle" which plays very well into your Masks.  

You can quite easily set up little pockets of pain, with Wurggogs and a coterie of Big Stabbas ready to stare and smash over the top of screens.  That 3" range on the Big Stabbas is still amazing - they ain't what they were, but they are at least costed appropriately to reflect that.  And it feels great when your opponent shoots 7 wounds into them and you're like "OK, you've killed one Big Stabba...."

Sounds like my list plays similarly to yours @Shirtripper, although I'm only 1-1 with mine.  Enjoying it though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 7:30 PM, Shirtripper said:

It does, thats why I was asking. It used to say and.

Screenshot_20210929-122932_Imgur.jpg

Hey all! It's nice to see this thread not being completely dead. As I read the stikka OR tusks rule it seems inclusive. That is, either tusks (if you have chosen chompas) or stikkas (tusks included if you chose stikkas). I think we would have the same problem if "or" was replaced with "and" : it could be interpreted as valid only in the case you choose stikkas, which would exclude tusks if paired with chompas. No clarification, sadly, as expected, in the FAQ.

I really think the army has potential (even arrowboyz without Bonegrinz, being cheaper than every battleline unit without being battleline and thus not giving the battle tactic to the opponent. They are still ok holders, the cheapest screen we have and do some poke, so they are more likely to kill the opposing screen before being targeted or killed by it).

We also have pretty good counters to most good armies except Morathi DoK, maybe sentinels and maybe Kairos. Foxes should be under control if we out-drop them and tag them T1 and Gargants or other heavy armies are match for our frenzied were-boar maniaks if we focus fire one target at a time. Not to mention that wurrgogs are now pretty infamous so they can function as a great bait, even T1.

I will be taking the army to a one-dayer with a pretty good level of players and armies and post again.

Thanks @Shirtripper for the report! It is always encouraging to see people trying their hardest to make the army they love competitive!