AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah we've been kicking around Wurrgog spam lists in the Bonesplitterz Whatsapp group too.  One guy (Will) has committed to taking an army with 6 of them to an event, so he played a practice game last night.

Turn one, he stared off a Mercenary Gatebreaker, a Wight King and 20 Grave Guard.

Turn two, his opponent conceded!

It was a dream matchup - a melee army that comes straight towards you - but it did make me chuckle.

I've got 4 in the list I'm writing right now 🙂

What would Wurrgog spam look like in a 1000points list? This sounds like fun :).

I am also wondering why i dont see anyone trying to spam morboy attacks in icebone? Are they to expensive or not mobile enough?

Edited by Iksdee

I'm not sure if it works as well at 1000 points tbh...but maybe something like this in Icebone:

Wurggog - Master of Magic, Glowin Tattooz (warcry spell)

Wurggog (rend spell)

Wardokk (+1 to hit spell)

Boarboys

Boarboys

Morboys

Morboys

That's 89 Wounds and 970 points.  I'd probably take the Battleshock triumph and put it in a one-drop.  

It's a lot of points in heroes though - the army ends up looking a bit lightweight.  Dropping the Wardokk wouldn't add much: it only gives you 110 points to play with, so you might as well have access to the save stacking when you use your Wurrgogs to stare.

Whaddya reckon?  What would you change?

So I played a match yesterday with this:

Wurgogg (Tattooz, Glowy Green Tusks)
Savage Boss (General - Great Hunter)
Wardokk (Levitate)

10 Boarboyz
10 Boarboyz
5 Boarboyz
5 Boarboyz

Rogue Idol
Rogue Idol

1995 points

I had the two Idols in Alpha Beast Pack and the rest in a Battle Regiment.
Levitate and Savage Boss General was more for fun and the ultimate alpha strike, I dont think its very good, but it was fun!
I had 8'' + D6'' pre game move and just shoved my whole army over the board turn 1 and boxed in my opponent.
Pretty oppressive way to play, since he had no teleport or any other way to get out of the situation, but it was fun to just run the wild horde into the enemies for sure! 

A unit of 10 boarboyz can obviously do work and 2 idols is a lot of fun as long as they havent lost more than 8 wounds haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'm not sure if it works as well at 1000 points tbh...but maybe something like this in Icebone:

Wurggog - Master of Magic, Glowin Tattooz (warcry spell)

Wurggog (rend spell)

Wardokk (+1 to hit spell)

Boarboys

Boarboys

Morboys

Morboys

That's 89 Wounds and 970 points.  I'd probably take the Battleshock triumph and put it in a one-drop.  

It's a lot of points in heroes though - the army ends up looking a bit lightweight.  Dropping the Wardokk wouldn't add much: it only gives you 110 points to play with, so you might as well have access to the save stacking when you use your Wurrgogs to stare.

Whaddya reckon?  What would you change?

What do u think about this? Could change 1 unit of morboyz for arrowboys to protect the prophets. Comes in at 99 wounds in warscrollbuilder.

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
Army Type: Bonesplitterz
Subfaction: Drakkfoot
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 1000 pts
General: Wurrgog Prophet
Grand Strategy: Sever the Head
Triumph: Inspired
Core Battalions
    Battle Regiment
        Wurrgog Prophet (General)
            Battalion Slot Filled: Commander
            Battlefield Role: Leader
            Command Traits: Master of Magic
            Artefacts of Power: Glowin’ Tattooz
            Spells: Gorkamorka’s War Cry
            Points Cost: 150 pts
        Wurrgog Prophet
            Battalion Slot Filled: Sub-commander
            Spells: Squiggly Curse
            Points Cost: 150 pts
        Wardokk
            Battalion Slot Filled: Sub-commander
            Spells: Power of the Were-boar
            Points Cost: 80 pts
        Savage Orruk Morboys
            Battalion Slot Filled: Troops
            Battlefield Role: Battleline
            Points Cost: 155 pts
        Savage Orruk Morboys
        Savage Orruk Morboys
        Savage Orruk Morboys
Total Points: 1000 pts
Valid: Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Enwolved said:

A unit of 10 boarboyz can obviously do work and 2 idols is a lot of fun as long as they havent lost more than 8 wounds haha.

That is why my Idol lists use Emerald Lifeswarm. I was healing a d3 every turn with it, a potential 3d3 from the Wardokks, and another d3 from the prayer. The health swings I during a game were impressive. I could also return dead Orcs on a 3+ if the Idol was topped off. We no longer have the prayer, and the Wardokks can only do one action a round, but the potential healing is mostly still there.

Edited by bonzai
  • Like 2

I know this looks kind of meme worthy but I honestly think it might be worth trying out. Big Stabbas make me so sad. I miss the old spells and warscroll. That said, they are 80 points and they are MSU which is how I think this army will play for the most point. Also, they can be kind of super annoying when you call a Waagh. Obviously a Waagh doesn't make them tanky but it does mean they wont just instantly die from an opponents chaff meaning they might get a 2nd round of combat in.

I'm mean it's not meta breaking but I think it would do pretty well against some melee armies and it has enough bodies to outplay your opponent with movement. That said the worst part about the new rules is the nerf to our movement.... so much tactical ability gutted. 

It's got 8 pregame moves so you an set up your little screens and run onto objectives. Turn 1 or 2 when enemy comes in you can call Waagh, try to hold on and then melt army with Wurgogs and Bigstabbas. Eh, it's not nothing.

Wurrgog Prophet (150)  Glowing tattoos

Wurrgog Prophet (150) –amulet of destiny

Wurrgog Prophet (150)  Master of Magic – Boney Bitz (-2 rend spell)

Wurrgog Prophet (150) 

Wardokk (80) 

Wardokk (80) 

15 x Savage Boarboys (420) 

5 x Savage Boarboys (140) 

2x BigStabbas (80)

2x BigStabbas (80)

2x BigStabbas (80)

2x BigStabbas (80)

2x BigStabbas (80)

Edited by Warbossironteef
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

I know this looks kind of meme worthy but I honestly think it might be worth trying out. Big Stabbas make me so sad. I miss the old spells and warscroll. That said, they are 80 points and they are MSU which is how I think this army will play for the most point. Also, they can be kind of super annoying when you call a Waagh. Obviously a Waagh doesn't make them tanky but it does mean they wont just instantly die from an opponents chaff meaning they might get a 2nd round of combat in.

I'm mean it's not meta breaking but I think it would do pretty well against some melee armies and it has enough bodies to outplay your opponent with movement. That said the worst part about the new rules is the nerf to our movement.... so much tactical ability gutted. 

It's got 8 pregame moves so you an set up your little screens and run onto objectives. Turn 1 or 2 when enemy comes in you can call Waagh, try to hold on and then melt army with Wurgogs and Bigstabbas. Eh, it's not nothing.

I was looking at some similar. I really do think we've been forced into MSU style to be competitive, since I think our goal is to tag objectives and then immediately attack our opponent all out.  There's something menacing about throwing massive quantities of Big Stabbas out that can generate MWs in Icebonez.

My thoughts are that if you are playing Icebonez, you either play:

1. Boarboys and then units that have D2 on their attacks, which means Big Bosses, Rogue Idols, and Big Stabbas
  2. Boarboys and MSU Maniaks since they take advantage of Icebonez through sheer weight of attacks
  3. Boarboys and Wurrgogs in the most epic staring contest of all time.

Otherwise, I think the other "competitive" list is the MSU Bonegrinz with 1x Big Boss General, 5x Wardokks with the Save Dance, 10x Units of MSU Arrowboys, and an endless spell of your choice. I'd run with the Soulsnare Shackles myself.

If nothing else, the psychological shock of telling your opponent you can shoot 300 times if everyone is nearby should make them play cautiously lol

12 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I've done a bit of a write up on Bonesplitterz, including a list and a (brief) batrep, for anyone interested:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2021/09/17/battletome-orruk-warclans-bonesplitterz-lists/

Good read. I never heard of anyone crazy enough to try running  a big rukk in normal points games, let alone finding any kind of success with with it. Lol. 

My 2nd edition list was caster heavy Drakkfoot of course, with buffs to a Rogue Idol as a distraction carnifex giving it a 2+ rerollable/5++ with some healing back up. Plus it had great mortal wound output from spells, a brick of arrowboys, and some Boar Boys for objectives, and big Stabbas for giggles. I will miss our old book.

The irony is I really like 3rd edition rules. Many of the changes hurt us a bit. But they made a certain amount of sense. I was excited playing games with it. Now after seeing our book.... not so much. As the first book out, it's going to be a long edition. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bonzai said:

Good read. I never heard of anyone crazy enough to try running  a big rukk in normal points games, let alone finding any kind of success with with it. Lol. 

There was a bit of talk about it in this forum, a French guy (whose username I can't recall, sorry!) got a couple of 4-1s with it 

• Like 1

I have to admit I missed staredown spam in my initial thoughts about this book. A naked wurrgog will do nearly 11 mortals on average before popping, which is pretty good value for the points.

One thing I'm wondering is if Bonegrinz lists might want to take two big blocks of arrowboys instead of one big block and a bunch of min size. Only one unit can use AAO to boost the hit to 4+, but I think a lot of people have just forgotten that Damned terrain is a thing. Only one model needs to be within 1" to use it, and the +1 to hit lasts until your next hero phase, meaning it will also benefit your Unleash Hell. Most tables will have at least one piece of Damned terrain and two will be pretty common. It's rare to see other armies fish for it, too. Most people are angling for Arcane or Mystical, so even if you don't get to pick table side there's a decent chance your opponent will just give you access to Damned.

While most people seem to be talking about super spammy MSU Bonegrinz, I think a more balanced approach could be viable with a 1-2 big blocks of arrowboys, a front line of Big Stabbas and 1-2 units of maniaks to harass the backline. Fill the rest out with MSU arrows. Big Stabbas are damage efficient without Icebone, and they aren't too bad on defensive efficiency either.

@Enwolved where is that 8" + d6 pregame move coming from? Base is 5, goes up to 8 with Great Hunter but where are you getting the d6? EDIT: ohh you meant just the idols, alpha beast pack

Edited by swarmofseals

Look what they did to my boy(s) :( guess since they were adding a third faction to the book they felt the need to cut down options for other factions to make up for it? (seems strange seeing this was released alongside Stormcast Eternals with 1000 warscrolls). Wounds me to see the monster hunter table gone, spell lore butchered, Wardokks overnerfed...

I do think we're stronger overall though. Exploding hits and exploding mortal wounds is going to be huge. I just wish the exploding mortal wounds was a Bonesplitters ability same as the exploding hits, as you're pretty much forced to take Icebone now. I'm not sure the other Warclans can compete.

Think I'll be running something like this:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
- Command Trait: Great Hunter
Savage Big Boss (65)*
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks
+ Power of the Were-Boar
Wardokk (80)**
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks + Gorkamorka's War Cry
Wardokk (80)**
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Power of the Were-Boar + Gorkamorka's War Cry

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (145)*
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (145)**
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)**
- Stikkas
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)**
- Stikkas
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)***
- Stikkas
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)***
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Boarboys (280)***
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)**

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Spell

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175
Drops: 8

I am wondering about Maniak Boarboyz for the hammer/ flanking units and regular Savage Orruks with spears for the anvil. The latter get a 5+ save and 2” reach so that they will effectively get about the same amount of attacks into the enemy as Morboyz would even if the Savages get charged.

Add in archers, big stabbas as extra punch or cleanup crew perhaps?

I previously ran Drakkfoot because I love their clan abilities. 😂 but since those have been completely removed I figure Icebone is just a better all around choice as I found previously the army lacked rend.

Would it be worth running pure Bonesplitters under the Mixed / Great Waaagh ?

How do folks feel about a converted ‘Big Boss on Wyvern’? I don’t like fighting them with my SCE Wondered if they help with our weaknesses

Edited by Souleater

18 minutes ago, Souleater said:

How do folks feel about a converted ‘Big Boss on Wyvern’? I don’t like fighting them with my SCE Wondered if they help with our weaknesses

I thought about that myself but without our icebone, pre game move and other allegiance bonuses I don't really know why I would use some of our units instead of ironjawz or kruleboyz. Sure boarboyz might be nice for the speed and wounds the wurgogg for his mask, but for me we just loose too much.

I really like the idea of savage orruks on wyverns (especially since there is even artwork of them fighting fyreslayers). I don't know how much a Killaboss on bird would help without his poison, if that was what you were thinking about. With the current wording we can't even ally ironjawz or kruleboyz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlmGandix3 said:

I saw a lot of double rogue idol lists for the battalion, has anybody tried them or even a single one yet?

There is a nice 3d printable model of the total war one and I am thinking about getting my current one a new friend.

I ran double Idol, and there is a tournament report earlier in the thread. As a Drakkfoot player, I feel that you need them, or big stabbaa to get quality rend in your list. I prefer the Idols due to their durability, especially when backed up by the various healing we have at our disposal. Rememberthat they havethe Bonesplitterz keyword so they can benefit from most of our spells and abilities. The bonus to casting that they give is also huge.

I could live with Wardokks losing the priest tab. It always felt like an after thought. However, having to choose between dancing or casting was an even bigger blow. And not one I was expecting.

That being said, I agree. If and destruction Faction should have a priest, it should be Bonesplitterz. Come to think of it... I don't think there is a single priest in the entire grand alliance. There is something wrong about that.

6 hours ago, Souleater said:

I am wondering about Maniak Boarboyz for the hammer/ flanking units and regular Savage Orruks with spears for the anvil. The latter get a 5+ save and 2” reach so that they will effectively get about the same amount of attacks into the enemy as Morboyz would even if the Savages get charged.

Add in archers, big stabbas as extra punch or cleanup crew perhaps?

I previously ran Drakkfoot because I love their clan abilities. 😂 but since those have been completely removed I figure Icebone is just a better all around choice as I found previously the army lacked rend.

I really don't see a reason to take ANY of our units in a Big Waagh, unless you wanted to a wurrgog for his mask, or a cheap Boar unit. Ardboys are awesome now. And make a terrific Anvil. Megaboss on Mawcrusher is an amazing Hammer. Throw in a sloggoth and some Kruelboyz ranged units and the list starts to write itself.

2 hours ago, bonzai said:

or a cheap Boar unit.

Agreed, but even the pigs are pretty bad value in Big Waaagh imo.  10 extra points gets you a unit Gore Gruntas that have a better save, rend, better buff potential (read: Warchanters), hit on 3s instead of 4s, are slower on paper but double move with Mighty D etc.  They are almost the same cost but Gore Gruntas outshine them massively imo.

You get some of that back in Bonesplitterz Allegiance (e.g. that pregame move) which is where our pigs shine, but in Big Waaagh specifically I think the BS pigs are squeezed out.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:17 AM, swarmofseals said:

I have to admit I missed staredown spam in my initial thoughts about this book. A naked wurrgog will do nearly 11 mortals on average before popping, which is pretty good value for the points.

I ran my list with 4 Wurggogs on Saturday night, and it was a catastrophe!  Between all 4 of them they took down 2 Gore Gruntas and an Ardboy.  Not units of, models 🤣

But I knew that could happen when I signed up for it, so that comes with the territory.  🤷‍♂️ I'm happy to keep trying and waiting for that one game where it goes turbo. 

They are probably best ran in 1 or 2 competitively is my feeling?  4+ is just a fun skew list, although it will be terrifying to some very competitive armies!

On 9/19/2021 at 7:17 AM, swarmofseals said:

Only one unit can use AAO to boost the hit to 4+, but I think a lot of people have just forgotten that Damned terrain is a thing. Only one model needs to be within 1" to use it, and the +1 to hit lasts until your next hero phase, meaning it will also benefit your Unleash Hell.

Good thinking, I like this idea.  Must admit I was among the cohort who had basically forgotten it was a thing!

Edited by PlasticCraic