AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Bonesplitterz said:

Strange…

Savage Orruk Boar Boys, Brutes and Mega-Boss on Maw-Crusher are listed as “No longer available online”… 

You think it’s for repackaging ?

I certainly hope so.  Our armies are small enough already, we can't afford to lose any.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else worried about what's going to happen to Arrow Boyz in the new tomb?  In 3.0 they are probably our biggest winners, Unleash hell  is amazing with Brutal Beast Spirits and All out attack can make a full unit bring some serious pain.  

But so far the few things we know about Savages Orruks 3.0 aren't looking good for them.  The bonus attack seems to be locked into Bonegrins (so no more Drakkfoot or Icebone arrow fun) and brutal Beast spirits looks to be replaced with Power of the Were-boar, which stops you using missile weapons.  Feels like our shooting game is going the way of the Dodo!

13 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Is anyone else worried about what's going to happen to Arrow Boyz in the new tomb?  In 3.0 they are probably our biggest winners, Unleash hell  is amazing with Brutal Beast Spirits and All out attack can make a full unit bring some serious pain.  

But so far the few things we know about Savages Orruks 3.0 aren't looking good for them.  The bonus attack seems to be locked into Bonegrins (so no more Drakkfoot or Icebone arrow fun) and brutal Beast spirits looks to be replaced with Power of the Were-boar, which stops you using missile weapons.  Feels like our shooting game is going the way of the Dodo!

Yep, that was my read as well. Taking away our ability to hit on 4's is a huge nerf, as well as the bonus from large units. Being shoe horned into taking Bone grins gets your extra attack back, and let's msu arrowboys be more effective, but it doesn't solve the issue of hitting on 5's. 

So far I haven't been happy with the Bonesplitterz specific previews that I have seen. But I am hoping that there are great things coming that we are missing. I know that they will be pushing Kruelboyz and Big Waaagh this edition, but I am hoping that we at least get a little love.

Initial impression is that we are a bit worse.  Are units are generally better but more expensive (especially in Icebone) but heros are worse but cheaper. 

Video I saw wasn't clear, am I right that normal Savage Orruks are up to 165 points for 10??!?

On the plus side we have a hilarious combo: Waggog Prophet with Glowing Tatoos (+2 ward).  Activate bonesplittas Waaagh and the Mask and nuke basically any unit in the game off the board.  On average you do about 50 mortal wounds before melting your brains out :D

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

On the plus side we have a hilarious combo: Waggog Prophet with Glowing Tatoos (+2 ward).  Activate bonesplittas Waaagh and the Mask and nuke basically any unit in the game off the board.  On average you do about 50 mortal wounds before melting your brains out :D

Oh I misread, though you can only take the tatoo on a savage boss. It's pretty nice on the wurrgog, but the waaagh works sadly in combat only. Still a great combo for sure 😁

3 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

How is he getting a 2+ save? The item ads +2 to the bearer. The Wurrgog lost his 4+ ward, so the item would make it a 3+, which is still pretty good.

Over all I agree. Icebones are the winners. I am not happy with the changes. We aren't unplayable, but it feels like we lost a lot of very important stuff for very small gains here and there.

1 hour ago, Belmail said:

I am really sad to see breath of gorkamorka go... I felt like it was a very defining spell for our army. Why does GW keep spells like squiggly curse in the book but cut things like fly or +1 to save. I've never used squiggly ever.

It is a shame that we've gone from one of the best spell lores in the game to one of the worst.

I posted more in depth in the other thread, but I think you guys are underestimating just how strong Icebone is, particularly Icebone boars. Even completely unbuffed they are among the most offensively efficient units in the game, and they're quite defensively efficient as well.

Definitely don't think that the spell lore is one of the worst in the game. It may not be as good as it was before, but there are three legitimately good spells.

Fights last is rare in 3.0 and still very powerful, and you can potentially cast this as early as turn 1 even without spellportal.

-2 rend on mount attacks is pretty strong, especially for a faction that mostly lacks good rend. 15 attacks, 3's and 3's, exploding hits on 6's and rend 2 is nothing to scoff at.

+1 to hit, run and charge is also a very solid buff even if not quite as good as it used to be.

I miss Breath of Gorkamorka for sure, but it's a lot less needed with boars. You can already move 17-20" and still charge on turn 1. Even a Rogue Idol is a legit turn 1 threat with 15-18" + charge on turn 1.

Kunnin' Beast Spirits is a loss for sure.

There are spell lores out there with 0-1 good spells in them; this is hardly one of the worst.

EDIT: I legit think that Bonesplitterz are excellent now, and I am going to be playing them quite a lot in the near future.

Edited by swarmofseals
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I feel like we lost a lot of exploding combo stuff, which felt pretty iconic. Arrowboyz aren't nearly as terrifying now, though shooting in general still isn't awful.

Interestingly, I think a big winner is the Rogue Idol. Still benefits from a lot of the good stuff, Spirit of the Were-Boar and Wierdnob's spells both work on him, and with that once-per-game 4+ Ward, he might be a real force to be reckoned with.

2 hours ago, bonzai said:

How is he getting a 2+ save? The item ads +2 to the bearer. The Wurrgog lost his 4+ ward, so the item would make it a 3+, which is still pretty good.

Over all I agree. Icebones are the winners. I am not happy with the changes. We aren't unplayable, but it feels like we lost a lot of very important stuff for very small gains here and there.

6+ base ward

4+ with artefact

2+ with Waaagh (for one turn)

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

I feel like we lost a lot of exploding combo stuff, which felt pretty iconic. Arrowboyz aren't nearly as terrifying now, though shooting in general still isn't awful.

Interestingly, I think a big winner is the Rogue Idol. Still benefits from a lot of the good stuff, Spirit of the Were-Boar and Wierdnob's spells both work on him, and with that once-per-game 4+ Ward, he might be a real force to be reckoned with.

They're also TOTEMS so they can issue commands as well.

Here's what I'll be trying out:

Icebonez

BATTLE REGIMENT

Wurrgog 150

-General

-Command Trait: Master of Magic

-Artefact: Glowin Tattooz

-Spell: Power of the Wereboar

Maniak Weirdnob 100

-Spell: Glowy Green Tusks

20x Savage Orruks w/ Stikkas 330

10x Boarboys w/ Stikkas 280

10x Boarboys w/ Stikkas 280

ALPHA BEAST PACK

Rogue Idol 430

Rogue Idol 430

2000/2000

1 hour ago, Bonesplitterz said:

6+ base ward

4+ with artefact

2+ with Waaagh (for one turn)

The waagh won't help the mask sadly, as the waaagh only takes place in the combat phase and the Mask is used in the Hero phase in place of spell casting. A 4+ ward is still nice. It basically is a suicide vest vs heroes and monsters. Again the problem is that it has to live through a combat phase for it to work.

2 hours ago, bonzai said:

The waagh won't help the mask sadly, as the waaagh only takes place in the combat phase and the Mask is used in the Hero phase in place of spell casting. A 4+ ward is still nice. It basically is a suicide vest vs heroes and monsters. Again the problem is that it has to live through a combat phase for it to work.

You are totally right, didn’t saw the combat only in the Waagh!

The lost of the +1 to hit for Savage Orruk on charge wasn’t necessary 

Edited by Bonesplitterz

I'm not very excited about new book. I don't Idol lists are very good and I cant believe how unplayable Savage Orruks and Arrowboyz  are (the core of the entire army).  I'm very sad they took away the movement abilities and nerfed our warscrolls.

I made a list I want to try.This list is a Wurrgog Prophet lists and has 1 with Glowing Tattoos and the other with Amulet to try and melt some things. I dont think it's very good but it still manages a 173 wounds.

Orruk Morboyz are hurt so much by 1 inch range and 32 mm bases, but are decent in Icebone and are the cheapest 20 wounds we have which are quite good the turn you call a Waaagh.

Shackles is to try and combo with short range of Wurrgog and allow them all to face melt. 

LEADERS

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Warlord –  Glowing tattoos

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage – General – Master of Magic – Boney Bitz

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage – amulet of destiny

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage

Wardokk (80) – Warlord - Warlord

Wardokk (80) – Warlord – Warlord

UNITS

15 x Savage Boarboys (420) - Warlord

5 x Savage Boarboys (140) - Warlord

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)

10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155) - Hunters

10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155) – Hunters

Soulsnare Shackles – 65

TOTAL: 1990/2000

Wounds - 173

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

I'm not very excited about new book. I don't Idol lists are very good and I cant believe how unplayable Savage Orruks and Arrowboyz  are (the core of the entire army).  I'm very sad they took away the movement abilities and nerfed our warscrolls.

I made a list I want to try.This list is a Wurrgog Prophet lists and has 1 with Glowing Tattoos and the other with Amulet to try and melt some things. I dont think it's very good but it still manages a 173 wounds.

Orruk Morboyz are hurt so much by 1 inch range and 32 mm bases, but are decent in Icebone and are the cheapest 20 wounds we have which are quite good the turn you call a Waaagh.

Shackles is to try and combo with short range of Wurrgog and allow them all to face melt. 

LEADERS

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Warlord –  Glowing tattoos

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage – General – Master of Magic – Boney Bitz

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage – amulet of destiny

Wurrgog Prophet (150) – Command Entourage

Wardokk (80) – Warlord - Warlord

Wardokk (80) – Warlord – Warlord

UNITS

15 x Savage Boarboys (420) - Warlord

5 x Savage Boarboys (140) - Warlord

5 x Savage Boarboys (140)

10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155) - Hunters

Soulsnare Shackles – 65

TOTAL: 1990/2000

Wounds - 173

Lol, I never thought about Wurrgog spam. I picked up the Underworlds one. I might have to run 2 myself. Probably something like this...

Sub Faction: Drakkfoot

HQ
Wurrgog Prophet 150 (master of magic, glowing tattoos, warcry)**
Wurrgog Prophet 150 (amulet of destiny, power of the were-boar)
Wardokk 85 (levitate)**
Wardokk 85 ( squiggly Curse)**

Battleline
10 Moreboys 145**
10 Moreboys 145**
10 Moreboys 145

Other
5 Boarboy Maniacs 145

Behemoth
Rogue Idol 430*
Rogue Idol 430*

Endless Spells
Emerald Life Swarm 60

Battalions: * Alpha beast pack, Warlord**

Total: 1990

Basically the same list I had before, but with 5 less Maniacs and a wurrgog instead. Lol.

Yeah we've been kicking around Wurrgog spam lists in the Bonesplitterz Whatsapp group too.  One guy (Will) has committed to taking an army with 6 of them to an event, so he played a practice game last night.

Turn one, he stared off a Mercenary Gatebreaker, a Wight King and 20 Grave Guard.

Turn two, his opponent conceded!

It was a dream matchup - a melee army that comes straight towards you - but it did make me chuckle.

I've got 4 in the list I'm writing right now 🙂

• Like 1

Gonna play this at an upcoming tournament. I have epically low expectations here, but I fully intend to surprise people with just how mobile the army can be.

Icebonez
BATTLE REGIMENT
1x Savage Big Boss (65)
--General
--CT: Great Hunter
1x Maniak Weirdnob (100)
--Artefact: Glowin Tattooz
--Mount Trait: Fast'Un
--Spell: GorkaMorka's War Cry
1x Savage Big Boss (65)
5x Savage Boarboys w/ Chompas (140)

BATTLE REGIMENT
1x Savage Big Boss (65)
1x Savage Big Boss (65)
1x Savage Big Boss (65)
5x Savage Boarboys Maniaks (145)
5x Savage Boarboys Maniaks (145)
Rogue Idol (430)

1995/2000

7 units can move pre-game 8", which in this case would be all of non-hero units. Hopefully by being a two drop, that would let me go first in a lot of cases.

In my hero phase, I would use the Fast'Un trait to march up the Weirdnob 12", within 6" of a Rogue Idol, and then cast the WarCry on something they have on their front line--given that most deployment zones are 12" apart, I might need to use Tireless Trackers on him to get in range of something.  Of course, if he's just going to get auto-unbound, who cares anyway.

After that, move into range of my opponent, and then charge their entire front line on T1 with everything.  Given that a lot of damage comes from buffs in most non-monster armies, I should be able to dump damage across the board with minimal crack back.

On my opponent's turn, I'll activate the BS Waaagh, and then hopefully hold on long enough to score on the objectives.

Block of Big Bosses will run around tagging objectives, since they are all individual models.

Bad? Probably, but at least I'm going to have fun! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah we've been kicking around Wurrgog spam lists in the Bonesplitterz Whatsapp group too.  One guy (Will) has committed to taking an army with 6 of them to an event, so he played a practice game last night.

Turn one, he stared off a Mercenary Gatebreaker, a Wight King and 20 Grave Guard.

Turn two, his opponent conceded!

It was a dream matchup - a melee army that comes straight towards you - but it did make me chuckle.

I've got 4 in the list I'm writing right now 🙂

That's the kind of degeneracy I can get behind

• Haha 1