AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

50 minutes ago, Wazzuli said:

Has anyone seen the list for the guy who got 2nd at heat 3? The guys name was Byron Orde if that helps lol.

Yea he’s using the standard 1 drop Krukk build talked about in this chat for the last  2 years.

Here it is with new points and what I play (Heat 3 was with the GH18 so he had 20 more points which he spent on the 140 caster rather than the boar swap I have)

A08A4592-5598-4E67-ACF0-A84E744A33A5.png

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

The brooch is pretty bent. You spend 4 CP on the alpha, regen say 2, then immediately spend them since there is no order to it.

Each 5+ to hit from the 90 arrows procs 4ish more attacks.

Threat range of the alpha is about 35 in. Then you charge 1 model in to pin them in their deployment zone.

Edited by svnvaldez

I would not recommend going and buying that list if you don't have the models thou. No way it will be around in the next tome which I hear will be between now and next spring. In the mean time if you want to play BS competitively start with this core and fill out the rest with whatever models you like.

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Stikkas

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Total: 1100 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

23 minutes ago, WAAAGH4life said:

How does he have four artifacts?

Yeah it would only be 3 artefacts, but the principle is the same.  You could lose the Wurggog Mask for example and the list would function fine.

I actually prefer the MWN over the WGP anyway, I'd rather have a reroll to cast Cogs than a second cast at Mystic Shield or whatever.  And you're not really interested in the Hero Phase pile ins.  So I don't think the +20 on Cogs really hurts the list that much.

Edited by PlasticCraic

Thought I'd share how I'm doing my Orky flesh in case it gives others some ideas:

Forgive any amounts of potato this brings, I took quick pictures with my phone while I worked and then cropped them down later.

So some background: I wanted to have an easy side project while I work on my #Everchosen entry that I could make large amounts of progress with in a short amount of time, and this turned into me working on a Feral Orks army that will also be playable as a Bonesplitterz army in AoS. The thing is that the Contrast paint definitely has a layer of depth in the color, but I wanted a higher quality result that helps pull the highlight and shadow further than the paint can do on it's own over a flat primer coat. This lead to me treating the paint more like a heavy glaze and doing a bit of prep work on the base coat to get the effect I wanted.

kCJiIEZ.jpg
I started with a base coat of Mechanicus Standard Grey out of a rattlecan, followed by a layer of Grey Seer applied from a 45 degree angle to the top of the model and finally a straight down shot of Corax White to hit the highest points.

m5QuVcf.jpg
Here's a bottom shot to try and illustrate the way the paint creates a gradient of shadows to highlights.

5usC9De.jpg
The first step washed out the model's texture so I gave the model an all over wash of Nuln Oil, keeping it thin so it wouldn't pool on the high points.

BRvq55R.jpg
To pick out the high points I did a directional drybrush of Pallid Wych Flesh, only flicking the brush over the model in a downward direction to hit the highest points and leave the recesses darkened so the texture has more contrast.

This was followed by giving the model a coat of Munitorium Varnish to smooth the texture of the model and give the Contrast paints a smooth surface to move over.

gX9Yy1I.jpg

This was followed by a layer of Ork Flesh, applied starting at the high points and working down to prevent it from pooling at the top of the model. You can see the recess shading is more pronounced, in part due to how the higher points are a much lighter color where the dry-brushing picked the texture out.

LRvf4FI.jpg
A back shot to show how the color gradient from the successive layers of primer create a natural shading effect that simulates shadow being cast by the Ork's upper body onto his legs.

kEbKivr.jpg
Another low shot to show how the Ork flesh looks over the torso, and how the wash helped give the recesses some extra contrast for the darker flesh color.

MAEtFD2.jpg
A Wurrgog Prophet model done at the same time in the same way. Due to how recessed his body is under his cloak his skin is darker than the Savage Warboss model, but this fits the natural shadow his body would have.

UzQ0Yxm.jpg
Final example is a Wardokk. His more exposed skin shows off the way the highlights have helped create more texture for his skin by pushing the contrast over the other high points, allowing us to look like we spent more time layering green than we actual did.

I hope this helps some people who are trying to get a little bit higher quality result out of their Contrast paints while keeping the whole project from becoming too much of a time sink.

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, taking my freshly re-based boyz out on a Meeting Engagement later today.

SPEARHEAD: Wurrgog, Boarboyz, Big Stabbas
Main Body: Morboyz x2, Aleguzzler Gargant, Big Boss
Rearguard: Boarboy Maniaks

Super gimmicky but I bought this gargant and gosh darnit I'm gonna squeeze some use out of him if it kills me.

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

14 hours ago, soak314 said:

Hey all, taking my freshly re-based boyz out on a Meeting Engagement later today.

SPEARHEAD: Wurrgog, Boarboyz, Big Stabbas
Main Body: Morboyz x2, Aleguzzler Gargant, Big Boss
Rearguard: Boarboy Maniaks

Super gimmicky but I bought this gargant and gosh darnit I'm gonna squeeze some use out of him if it kills me.

I love my gargant by the way!  Nice to see him being used!

I have found it useful to have the big stabbas behind a screen of 10 boyz with spears.  Stabbas do not handle prolonged combat very well, but their 3" reach, they can hide behind a small unit of spear boyz and use them to absorb some wounds.  

Edited by Foe-Hammer

9 hours ago, Foe-Hammer said:

I have found it useful to have the big stabbas behind a screen of 10 boyz with spears.  Stabbas do not handle prolonged combat very well, but their 3" reach, they can hide behind a small unit of spear boyz and use them to absorb some wounds.  

Yeah, they did pretty great in the game! Their high damage and threat range in melee makes them a super hot target, and I did hide them behind a line of morboyz. I think they're a pretty legit choice for Meeting Engagements since just one unit by itself can be a considerable threat to most any monster that would also be sensible to bring into the format.

I lost by a small margin, but I also forgot the monster hunter rules, the FnP's on mortal wounds, and the wurrgog's anti-horde spell. New army pains!

23 minutes ago, soak314 said:

Yeah, they did pretty great in the game! Their high damage and threat range in melee makes them a super hot target, and I did hide them behind a line of morboyz. I think they're a pretty legit choice for Meeting Engagements since just one unit by itself can be a considerable threat to most any monster that would also be sensible to bring into the format.

I lost by a small margin, but I also forgot the monster hunter rules, the FnP's on mortal wounds, and the wurrgog's anti-horde spell. New army pains!

I think the issue is that they have capped units at 2x minimum size, presumably to prevent death stars.  But then done nothing whatsoever to limit a big Monster death star.

So you would need 2x 4 Big Stabbas to have any chance of taking down a Terrorgheist.  Which isn't crazy, because Big Stabbas are at least good against most things, so it's not dead points.

What would your ME list look like?

25 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I think the issue is that they have capped units at 2x minimum size, presumably to prevent death stars.  But then done nothing whatsoever to limit a big Monster death star.

So you would need 2x 4 Big Stabbas to have any chance of taking down a Terrorgheist.  Which isn't crazy, because Big Stabbas are at least good against most things, so it's not dead points.

What would your ME list look like?

After last night's game:

S: Wurrgog, Boarboyz
M: Big Boss, 2 Stacks worth of Boyz, 2x Big Stabbas (??)
R: Maniaks

It's all very WIP, since I'm just one game in. The gargant was still a very iffy choice (aaaargh), as you could ally in either troggoth option for a far punchier 140/150 pts. Alternatively take more boyz, but I'm finding their big 32mm footprint to be really restrictive in ME. It's hard to take em in multiple stacks of 20, just from a logistics standpoint.

Also you'll find there's a fair few people who'll say you lose the units you can't fit into the smaller deployment zones (Death Pass battleplan is bad for this). I think that's bull, but it's something to consider when building for bonesplitterz, since our blobs have massive footprints. 

One other option is to go Morboyz, Spearboyz, Big Stabba for your main battleline. Morboyz eat the majority of the wounds, spearboyz can attack from the second rank, and the Big Stabbas can happily wail at things from a relatively safe 2.5ish inches out.

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe doubling down on the Big Stabbas, because I think Monsters will be very popular:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Spearhead
5 x Savage Boarboys (100)
- Stikkas

Main Body
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- General
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Rearguard
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 88

4 hours ago, Wazzuli said:

So now for the tough question. Where do we see Kunnin Rukk going? And as a wishlist item for me, the Warchanter effecting ORRUK units not just Ironjawz.

Probably going away. I think arrowboys won't be the MVP's anymore but will have a support role in the army. 

As for hero synergy, I think keyword bingo still applies. The tome is three books in one, so I expect there to be incentives to playing each army individually or mixed. I think this would be a good thing as it promotes inter-faction competition.

• Like 2

I think if Skaven and LON Battletomes taught us anything, it’s that soup is powerful and more tools are always welcome. Purists can do their thing but I’m really stoked about picking my fave units from both and bringing a green tide to the board. 

If there is summoning too that will be bonkers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Peronally I think it'll be hard to build a competitive army in this vein.  They suffer (chronically) from a lack of +1 to cast, for a supposedly magic army.

When they first came out, that was OK, because virtually everyone was casting and unbinding from scratch.  You'd probably roll the 6+, sometimes you wouldn't and it might get unbound (but not early game, because unbind range was only 18")...it was fun.  And your Heroes were cheap enough to throw in a Wardokk or two, so you might hit lucky and get a +1 to cast from there.

Now...not so much.  You're not finding room for a 100 point wizard with no warscroll spell (!) for a 1 in 3 chance of hitting a +1 to cast, not when all your other support Heroes are so expensive. 

The only way you can cast reliably is with Maniak Weirdnob's (rerollable) cast from outside of unbind range, which is realistically going on Hand of Gork and Brutal Beast Spirits, and maybe an endless spell that affects the whole board (e.g. Cogs) so it can also be cast from the backboard. 

It's just fundamentally not very efficient  to take pot shots at casting multiple Endless Spells from the frontline, casting from scratch and in unbind range, with overcosted wizards.

You could always take Drakkfoot, but that's been incredibly overcosted from Day 1, both in its own right (for the Batallions themselves) and in terms of requiring large numbers of underpowered Morr Boys, with their tiny number of low-quality attacks on large bases.

So sorry to be a downer, but I don't think we play this game very well.  Gloomspite for example have much more game in this arena - although the new Orruk Wartribes book could change everything. 

Drakkfoot might be a "Skyport" (free rules instead of a Batallion), and the Morr Boys warscroll might get a bump up...casting with bonuses and surrounded by effective combat units, a proper melee 'n' magic army, sounds great! :D

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1