AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, TheNotebookGM said:

What would a new book look like for Bonesplitterz? I'm almost done with my Fyreslayers and I really want to join the Waagh once they're all painted up.

Going off of what all the previous updated tomes look like:

-Regular Battalions get stripped down, less wacky abilities and more small but still significant things (unlikely that Rukk keeps double shooting)
-Mega Battalions become subfactions - Households, Stormhosts, Greatfrays, etc. Bonegrinz, Drakkfoot, Icebone, will all have a unique Battle Trait, Command Ability, Command Trait, and Artifact. 
-Auras changing to "Wholly Within"
-Abilities that proc on 6+ changing to "Unmodified 6"

So likely Kunnin Rukk Arrerspam is dead, but lists will encourage more well rounded builds. Likely there will be one Clan that becomes prominent, as there always is. Specifics - who knows?

In the meantime, we can just focus on the stuff about GHB19 that we do know. Not a whole lot affects us, other than the ubiquitous stuff like mission changes and new base Command Abilities. 

However, one thing that I think we can look at are the Mercenary Companies - losing a CP for turn 1 isn't that big of a deal, since if you're running Rukk you already have a free one and if you're not, you're not super reliant on the CA in many cases, and there's some potential things to pick up that can help our army out. 

-Blacksmoke Battery is the Ironweld Arsenal one, a nice way to shove in some extra good rend shooting and is good conversion fodder
-Tenebrous Court can give us a nice big monster, especially since the Mawcrusha didn't come down enough to get allied in (sad). While neither of the mounted Ghoul Kings are as good as they are in FEC allegiance, they're still pretty efficient for their points and can give some nice mobility and punchy threat to the army. Also nice conversion fodder to put an Orruk Warlord on top of one.

• Like 2

What are your opinions on these lists? I am just getting into the faction and thought that the magic would be a fun addition since my other armies do not use it. 

Wurrgogg Prophet with squirmy warpaint, morks boney bitz, and squiggly curse
Wardokk with big wurrgogg mask and brutal beast spirits
Wardokk with Beastcallers bones, and bone krusha
Wardokk with mystic war paint and Gorkamorkas warcry
2 units of 10 morboyz
1 unit of 20 morboyz
2 units of 6 big stabbas
Kop Rukk, Teef Rukk, and Drakkfoot Warclan

Wurrgogg Prophet with squirmy warpaint, morks boney bitz, and squiggly curse
Wardokk with big wurrgogg mask and brutal beast spirits
Wardokk with Beastcallers bones, and bone krusha
Wardokk with Gorkamorkas warcry
2 Weirdnob Shamans from Ironjawz
3 units of 30 morboyz
Umbral Spellportal
Kop Rukk, Drakkfoot Warclan

You don't need the Ironjawz wizards. Add a 4th Wardokk and Savage Big Boss or Maniak Weirdnob instead. Your Morboy units need two Wardokks within 12 inches to gain +1 to wound rolls from Waaagh! Stomp.

Unfortunately Morboys are a below average melee unit. They require a lot of set up to make them average or above average. The only melee unit that performs well are Big Stabbas. 

You could bring a behemoth in your army so when it dies your Morboys get +1 to hit via Power of the Beast Spirit.

You could also change one unit of 30 Morboys into Arrowboys if you have the bits.

Our units don't perform well in combat at a minimum size. But you could use them to capture an objective so it's feasible.

The one lousy thing about the Kopp Rukk is that you're punished for rolling a double on a spell with a Wardokk via Savage Waaagh! Energy.

Kunnin Rukk is our most viable way to play via Arrowboy spam (unfortunately).

Edited by Mogwai Man

My struggle with  Kop Rukk and Drakfoot Warclan has been the core cost of the two battalions plus the min character tax, which doesn't leave a lot for boyz.  Units of 10 do not seem to work, and even units of 30 do not really put out enough damage from what I have experienced... and lawnmower units just chew through them.  The only time that I get decent damage (at best) are from spamming spells from 4-5 wizards or from using big stabbas...  would love to hear if anyone has had success without using the Kunnin Rukk arrow spam.

12 minutes ago, Foe-Hammer said:

My struggle with  Kop Rukk and Drakfoot Warclan has been the core cost of the two battalions plus the min character tax, which doesn't leave a lot for boyz.  Units of 10 do not seem to work, and even units of 30 do not really put out enough damage from what I have experienced... and lawnmower units just chew through them.  The only time that I get decent damage (at best) are from spamming spells from 4-5 wizards or from using big stabbas...  would love to hear if anyone has had success without using the Kunnin Rukk arrow spam.

I have the same issues. You can try adding an endless spell or two for mortal wound output but it isn't enough. Morboys are one of the worst dual wielding infantry  units in the game.

Big stabbas are our only good melee unit and they aren't meant to fight large unit sizes.

Edited by Mogwai Man

10 minutes ago, Mogwai Man said:

I have the same issues. You can try adding an endless spell or two for mortal wound output but it isn't enough. Morboys are one of the worst dual wielding infantry  units in the game.

Big stabbas are our only good melee unit and they aren't meant to fight large unit sizes.

I have had some fair output from the pendulum endless spell and the geminids, but at the cost of fewer boyz...  a giant can be fun and amusing to trigger the morboyz bonuses, but I eventually stopped squeezing the big guy in.  

2 minutes ago, Foe-Hammer said:

I have had some fair output from the pendulum endless spell and the geminids, but at the cost of fewer boyz...  a giant can be fun and amusing to trigger the morboyz bonuses, but I eventually stopped squeezing the big guy in.  

Yeah I used to squeeze in a gargant but he isn't worth 160 points and he didn't receive a reduction from the GHB either. I'm just waiting for our update and I may just play Warcry until then if it's good. I don't want to have to assemble, paint, and play another army right now.

Edited by Mogwai Man

36 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Can we gain anything useful by calling in our less enlightened brethren, those Ironjawz chaps?

Ardboys (160). Better than savage orruks and morboys.

Brutes (180). Better than Big Stabbas.

Gore-Gruntas (140). Better than Maniaks & Boarboys.

You could ally in a unit or two of these options.

Ironjawz heroes don't mesh well with bonesplitterz.

Megaboss on foot (140) doesn't provide keyword synergy.

Warchanter (80) doesn't provide keyword synergy.

Weirdnob Shaman (120) is a worse caster than Bonesplitterz wizards.

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440) too expensive to ally.

Gordrakk (580) too expensive to ally.

Edited by Mogwai Man

So I'm starting a Feral Ork army for 40k, and after much back and forth of how I was going to do it I'm keeping most of the models unchanged (instead I'm looting Seraphon dinosaurs to be my vehicles (Terradons as Deffcoptas anyone?), possibly using the big spiders as Squiggoths and using Squig Hoppers to make Stormboyz. Basically the whole army will be a Feral Ork tribe on some death world) so I can also use most of it in AoS as well.

As I'm fuel building, any recommendations of stuff I should focus on getting first? I'm thinking and stikka boyz will be shootas for 40k and any double choppa boyz will be shootas and choppas for 40k. I know I'll need a prophet (makes a great weirdboy too) but I don't know enough about the army to know of anything I specifically nees to run an effective list.

• LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Fulkes said:

So I'm starting a Feral Ork army for 40k, and after much back and forth of how I was going to do it I'm keeping most of the models unchanged (instead I'm looting Seraphon dinosaurs to be my vehicles (Terradons as Deffcoptas anyone?), possibly using the big spiders as Squiggoths and using Squig Hoppers to make Stormboyz. Basically the whole army will be a Feral Ork tribe on some death world) so I can also use most of it in AoS as well.

As I'm fuel building, any recommendations of stuff I should focus on getting first? I'm thinking and stikka boyz will be shootas for 40k and any double choppa boyz will be shootas and choppas for 40k. I know I'll need a prophet (makes a great weirdboy too) but I don't know enough about the army to know of anything I specifically nees to run an effective list.

I had something similar in mind a while back...  arrow boyz as boyz with shootas, morboyz as boyz with slugga and choppa, and boar riders as biker boyz.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Foe-Hammer said:

I had something similar in mind a while back...  arrow boyz as boyz with shootas, morboyz as boyz with slugga and choppa, and boar riders as biker boyz.  

I forgot about the arrow boyz. Those would work better as shootas. 

I feel like Feral Orks are the army everyone wants but no one actually pulls the trigger on because of the conversions needed. Though Moonclan helps with that since it gives us more Squigs to work with (the big double squigs count as an all melee Deff Dread for example?). I've had this army on my mind since I saw Savage Orcs back in WFB and only had it reinforced by their role in Imperial Glory. Plus any army you can double up game systems on is just a good buy, right?

1 minute ago, Fulkes said:

I've had this army on my mind since I saw Savage Orcs back in WFB and only had it reinforced by their role in Imperial Glory. Plus any army you can double up game systems on is just a good buy, right?

Same here...  Two armies for the price of one!  I also like your idea of looted dinos - Terradons as Deff Koptas and a Stegadon as a battle wagon!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Foe-Hammer said:

Same here...  Two armies for the price of one!  I also like your idea of looted dinos - Terradons as Deff Koptas and a Stegadon as a battle wagon!  

I'm trying to work out how to turn a Bastilladon into a Trunk too. Probably use the one with the snakes and build a howda on it.

The seraphon models will easily convert for trukks or squiggoths I think. As for boyz you already have it essentially. Double choppa for slugga choppa and arrer for shoota. I would say get up to 90 boyz. That gives you flexibility for going horde or mechanized. Sadly there isnt really anything in the range big enough for the gargantuan squiggoth though. I am making my feral army more feral and just using the boyz for both. For bikers the boars work great you just need to add some random guns to them, ammo, etc. You also may want to pick up some grots but you are right the wurrgog is great for a weirdboy and you could make a wardokk work for a painboy. Savage Big boss also works for your warboss. For things like nob bikers or a boss on a bike I would look at goregruntas to convert it.

3 hours ago, Fulkes said:

I'm trying to work out how to turn a Bastilladon into a Trunk too. Probably use the one with the snakes and build a howda on it.

Yes that is pretty much what you have to do. I have just been using squiggoth models for squiggoth but I may use some bastilodons as trukks now too.

So if someone were crazy enough to start Bonesplitterz today, what advice would you have for them?

It seems like the Kunnin’ Rukk is still pretty popular, but I’ve heard of people doing quite well with the Icebone warclan. It seems like 2 boxes of boys (making 30 boys, 4 big stabbas, and 2 Wardokks) , two boxes of pigs (maniaks), plus a handful of characters might be an economical start to a decent list.  

• Like 1

Based on my limited know-whatz of the army the Kunnin Rukk is probably safe until they get back around to us for an update (whenever that is). 

That said, we have a lot of general versatility in the army so it's not hard to shuffle things around to fit into a new list.

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

You can magnetize, or as @svnvaldez has suggested, just put a small dot of superglue on there, and it will ping right off when needed.

The connection points for the hands/weapons are completely flat, so they will pop off with ease...  I lost count of how many times they have popped off from being bumped or dropped.  You won't have any issues at all with swapping them out.  

19 hours ago, thediceabide said:

So if someone were crazy enough to start Bonesplitterz today, what advice would you have for them?

It seems like the Kunnin’ Rukk is still pretty popular, but I’ve heard of people doing quite well with the Icebone warclan. It seems like 2 boxes of boys (making 30 boys, 4 big stabbas, and 2 Wardokks) , two boxes of pigs (maniaks), plus a handful of characters might be an economical start to a decent list.  

For a small force like that I would build the boyz as Morboyz with 2 weapons.  I think that is probably the safest equipment option for a hypothetical new book.  Morboyz are already a decent unit within Bonesplitterz and it seems very likely that they will remain so.  I think a commonly held opinion is that it is likely that a new book will move Bonesplitterz back to being a rather melee heavy horde army.  It is hard to say how good Arrer Boyz will be or if they will even remain as a battleline option.  It is also hard to say what GW will do with the standard Savage Orruk unit (the ones with shields) as that unit needs a rewrite to be useful.  They might nail it, or they might end up as niche as they currently are.  Morboyz are sort of a middle-ground unit right now and I expect that if the book makes melee builds more prominent for this army that Morboyz will be a big part of that.  Arrer boyz are the better unit right now, and the Kunnin Rukk is the strongest current build, but we don't at all know how viable those things would be in a new book.  They could be amazing, or they could completely remove the Kunnin Rukk.  If you look at the current version of the Kunnin Rukk it has half of it's abilities dedicated to movement and it could very well be the case that they keep the battalion but reduce/remove the shooting bonuses and make it more about movement shenanigans.  Honestly we just don't know.

I think your safest bet is to not go too fully into building a specific niche force and rather just pick up a small "sampler platter" style force.  That will most likely minimize the impact that a drastic change to how the army works would potentially have on your force.

• Like 1

I don't think the Rukks will go away as much as they'll be retooled. Likewise the themed Battalions will likely see a rework to be our nutters fight (maybe they'll be realm themed?). Arrowboyz will likely always be a need in the army due to how important having some level of shooting in the meta is to pull lynchpins out of opposing army combos, but the ability to nuke something completely with more shots than Skaven has clan rats is likely going to go away.

1 hour ago, Fulkes said:

I don't think the Rukks will go away as much as they'll be retooled. Likewise the themed Battalions will likely see a rework to be our nutters fight (maybe they'll be realm themed?). Arrowboyz will likely always be a need in the army due to how important having some level of shooting in the meta is to pull lynchpins out of opposing army combos, but the ability to nuke something completely with more shots than Skaven has clan rats is likely going to go away.

I can see the mega-battalions (Drakkfoot, Icebone, and Bonegrinz) becoming a clan keyword that is chosen for the army, and the current Rukks being shuffled a bit.