AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The list I want to try in the new edition with 40 points left over for endless spells.

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of da Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Glowin Tattooz 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Da Great Zappa Squiq 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wardokk (100)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
- Allies
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 189

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 12:38 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah it looks good!  Two things I'm wondering:

1) Do you need the Rogue Idol (since you will get most casts through anyway)?  I know there is synergy there, but it could be nice to have your combat unit with the Bonesplitterz keyword to benefit from the Prophet's CA and the Drakkfoot unique spell.  And you won't be debuffing your own bravery.  Worth a try I guess, and it would be nice to see the Big Fella on the table!

2) Is there a way to fit some Endless Spells in, because new shiny?  For example that last unit of Morr Boys in Sam's list could become 3x Boar Boys to free up 20 points (gets you the swords), you could drop the Prophet to another Wardokk (sacrifice 1 cast but maximise Drakfoot benefits and free up 40 points), and if you did go Big Stabbas you could put 6 in for 300 points and free up 100 that way.

It also depends what the new Rogue Idol warscroll looks like, and whether Endless Spells count towards your drops?

I love the Idol, and it's one of the few monsters I can justify allying in. Not only does he buff casting, but also bravery (which helps the gorkamorka warcry), he has rend 2 and mortal wound output, which takes the place of big stabbas in this list.  Lastly, if he dies, he can trigger the buffs for Moreboys if there are no other monsters to kill. 

On 6/21/2018 at 11:27 PM, svnvaldez said:

@bonzai I really like the look of your list: I'd swap for more Morboyz and I think its amazing 

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)

Battalions
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000

That does give me some ideas. Maybe swap the maniac weirdnob for a 4th wardokk and the 2nd group of maniac boarboys to bring the 2nd moreboy squad up to 30. And maybe change the other maniac boarboy squad for a normal boarboy squad for an endless spell. I will have to play around with configurations. I do want to keep at least one boar squad for speed and tying up shooting unit or grabbing objectives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Izikail said:

Has there been any word on bonespliters pts changes guys?

My understanding is that we can repeat rumours but cannot post photos, but if I'm wrong I'm sure a moderator will put me straight!

It looks like all boars are down 20, arrow boys are up 20, and the batallions have all changed except Kopp Rukk.  Kunnin Rukk is now 200 but Bonegrinz has dropped to 110.  Icebonez went down to 160 and Snagga up to 170, so only 10 points down overall if you're doing that one.  Drakkfoot came down slightly too to 140.  So overall the Bonegrinz is still the cheapest 1 drop batallion.  Teef Rukk is up to 110 and Brutal Rull is a frankly hilarious 160 points.

No changes at all in the Heroes or combat units (other than the Cavalry already mentioned).

Getting on the Kopp Rukk bandwagon...

Going full deathstar with the Morr Boys, you could do something like this:

Prophet

3x Wardokk

Big Boss

Weirdnob

30x Morr Boys

30x Morr Boys

5x Boarboys

Allied Warboss with Waagh! Banner

Kopp Rukk, Drakkfoot

140 points for Endless Spells

With the standard spells and popping two command abilities, you can be doing 4 attacks each, hitting on 3s rerolling 1s, wounding on 2s and 3s rerolling 1s, generating extra attacks on 5s.  Attacking in up to 3 times per turn.  Kinda like the Kunnin Rukk of melee, but without the rend against monsters.

You would basically be bypassing rend altogether, and using a combination of Bonesplitterz damage spells, the Mask, and your Endless Spells to put out mortal wounds.  

The advantages are 6 casts a turn that are very difficult to fail, huge volume of attacks (especially with the triple pile in), plenty of bodies, only 2 drops, 4 artefacts and 2 extra Command Points.  Making use of the newly cheap Battleline option and toys.  And on a less tactical level, we probably all have blocks of 30x Arrow Boys lying around that we could quite easily repurpose!

Downsides are lack of a durable hero, lack of hero phase mobility (other than pile ins), and dependence on spell casters for output other than melee or to crack high armour saves.

And on a side note - we could be an army to benefit from the new pile in rules, it's obviously situational but a 1 or 2 on the Monster Hunter table is no longer garbage now that you can slide around the base.  Could squeeze quite a lot of extra movement and attacks out of that in some games now.

I have felt for a while now that Bonesplitterz as an army should emphasize berserk melee.  Not only does the battletome mention this but it is also what Savage orcs have always been.  They have always been insane lunatic berserkers that fight without any thought to their own safety.  So you end up taking lots of casualties but dish out a ton of attacks.

The main ways that I can see to represent this is to either give units a ton of attacks or buffs for more attacks.  Have units generate additional attacks or hits.  Or to make units attack in melee multiple times in a turn.

I like how many units and abilities in Bonesplitterz fight multiple times per round.  I will probably look into the Drakkfoot clan as well because of that.  I have always liked the idea of the Kopp Rukk as well.

My one major gripe, outside of price costs, is that I still think that the standard Savage orc warscroll needs to be reworked.  Even if they become super cheap I just don’t think they are representative of the standard Bonesplitterz orc like they should be.

If the incarnates can still be summoned there is some jucy possibilities there to. Using a kopp rukk and its super batalion you can get the cast chance to about  1 in 2.8 due to the buffs and the casts on doubles

Or if you want to use a rock idle to you get to about a 1 in 2 

These would work to trigger morboys they are 300 pts so getting two of them of in a game would be a massive increas in pts

Just realised the dokks can makes this even more likely some times.

I can see a conversion for the forgeworld samus demonprince and a frosthorn face for beast or the forgeworld avatar of kaine (not sure how to change him though) for fire

• Like 1

Played my first game of AoS2 on Saturday using the following List

Leaders
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
- Artefact: Da Great Zappa Squiq 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha
Wardokk (100)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork

Battleline
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (120)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)

Battalions
Teef Rukk (90)

Total: 2090 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175

With the new points this works out at 2000pts 

I was playing vs  Soulblight

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Prince Vhordrai (480)
- General
Coven Throne (260)

Battleline

Units
5 x Blood Knights (260)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
6 x Fell Bats (160)
6 x Vargheists (320)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

We played Escallation from the Core Rules.

I managed to get the win by 1 victory point.

I have to say I like command points although getting your characters in position is way more important than it was before. I was half an inch out of range to use the prophet's command ability on one turn and 2" out for a hero to save a unit having to take a bravery test.

Starting with the batallion and having an extra CP was nice, and I did end up using all the points I had available over the game, the second artifact I took was not great, however I am looking forward to the rewording of the mystic cloak. Hopefully it is +6" range with +1 as this will be a default take for my general if it is.

10 maniacs with the warboss' waargh droped on them is really nice on the charge. The boars have 2 weapon profiles so +1 attack on each was fun.

I theoretically could drop the wardokk who has the mask and take some endless spells but I am not sure endless spells can do as much damage as the wardokk can over a game. I will have to have a play about and see.

I am sure that there are games when I am going to miss the extra 10 archers, however they did their job this game of being 20 bodies to stand on an objective and have a bit of range to pick away at targets. 

1 hour ago, Izikail said:

If the incarnates can still be summoned there is some jucy possibilities there to. Using a kopp rukk and its super batalion you can get the cast chance to about  1 in 2.8 due to the buffs and the casts on doubles

Or if you want to use a rock idle to you get to about a 1 in 2 

These would work to trigger morboys they are 300 pts so getting two of them of in a game would be a massive increas in pts

Just realised the dokks can makes this even more likely some times.

I can see a conversion for the forgeworld samus demonprince and a frosthorn face for beast or the forgeworld avatar of kaine (not sure how to change him though) for fire

Good shout...with multiple opportunities at Dokk dances (and maybe arcane terrain) you'd really be getting this into the realm of the probable. I've just had a look at his warscroll and hilariously, you can do his Amber Breath in both players' turns. It's in "the shooting phase", not "your shooting phase" (much like Kurnoths hunkering down in "the charge phase").

It also can't move "in the following movement phase", so in a Destro army you could totally move it in the Hero phase with Rampaging Destroyers. 

Please don't change that warscroll GW!

... although I'm sure they will ?

Edited by PlasticCraic

17 hours ago, Izikail said:

@Kanamorf i think your list is only geting 40pts cheeper and dosnt fit

100 saving on bore boys

40 more on archers

20 more on batalion

So 2050

You are quite correct I did overspend, battalion is 10 points more though so 2040.

I played again last night with the same list but took out the Teef Rukk so I was 60 points under giving me the command point, it also ment I could put the stabbas back into one unit of 8.

I was playing against SCE

Lord-Arcarnum

Lord Celestant on Stardrake

Drakesword Templar

Heraldor

4x5 Liberators

2 Fulminators

We played Starstrike from GHB17.

The two star drakes were a pain, as expected, and the Lord-Arcarnum's ability to keep them alive is impressive. The Big Stabbas were up to the job though, with my prophet nice and close for the Hero Phase pile in. I did have to kill the drakes a total of 5 times though.

I ended up getting the win on the scenario as the stars dropped nicely for me.

The Warboss was not so good in this game as double Rain of Stars took him out quickly, amazing how much difference not rolling your 6+ vs mortal wounds can make, the 2 5 wound Wardokks lasted an extra turn compared to the Orruk Warboss.

The 20 archers did their job of standing on an objective shooting at stuff that gets close, but in 20's they are much weaker. I doubt very much I will go back to 30 as I feel the points can be better spent elsewhere. 

The next thing to try are some Endless spells. Roll on Saturday for the next game where I think I will drop the Orruk Warboss and take 5 more boars and 40 pts od spells or just 140 pts of spells

Edited by Kanamorf

52 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

@Kanamorf great write up, thanks for the info!  If you are dropping the Warboss, is it worth considering going back up to 30 Arrow Boys with the extra 140 points?

An 8 block of Big Stabbas is a great shout, especially with the way Inspiring Presence works now!

In a game which relies so heavily on movement I think more archers is a waste. 

The way I have played over the last year has been the 30 archers as my tarpit that get in the way. With the changes to Inspiring Presence I think 20 can do a similar job. Don't get me wrong there are going to be games where I will be thinking, "If I only had 10 more bodies". 

The warboss is not gone for good, he is just in my pool of points to play with. I need to test lots of options to find the best.

I currently have 200 points to play around with, I feel it is necessary to have 1CP at the start of the game to help defend the apha strike so that is either 150 with 50 spare or 200 and fit in a batallion.

Cogs looks interesting, but +2 move and charge for your enemy is going to bite you 

Spell Portals look powerful if you have good spells that are short range

Gemenids look strong -1 attack and -1 hit for 40pts.....

Purple sun is too expensive i think

The shackles look like they could be an interesting addition a nice wall in front of units to slow them down

The rest I think are situational

Edited by Kanamorf

21 minutes ago, Kanamorf said:

Spell Portals look powerful if you have good spells that are short range

Gemenids look strong -1 attack and -1 hit for 40pts.....

Yeah Bone Krusha is a good one with the Portal, straight into D6 range.

What I like about Geminids is the 18" setup range.  If I was taking one on its own, it would be under serious consideration, because you can fling it out there from relative safety and without investing in the portal (it also does so much for so few points!)

• Like 1

I have been thinking about everyone's suggestions, and I have revised my list.

Wurrgog w/ squirmy warpaint, glowing tattoos, hand of gork
Wardokk w/ big wurrgog mask, brutal beast spirits
Wardokk w/ mystic Waaagh paint, squiggly curse
Wardokk w/ bone krusha
Wardokk  w/ gorkamorka war cry.  

30 moreboys
30 moreboys
5 boarboys

Allies: Rogue Idol
Battalions: Kopp Rukk, Drakkfoot warclan

Total: 1980

As much as I liked having the maniac Wierdnob's spell, it just made more sense to go with a 4th wardokk. That way both units of moreboys can get the Kopp Rukk buffs, it gets the bonuses to cast, and it's a 4th chance to roll a weird dance.  To free up points for the extra Moreboys I had to give up the maniacs and go with a single unit of 5 boarboys. This way I still have some speed in the list to go after ranged units and objectives.

I think this will be a lot better in the long run, though giving up the boarboy maniacs was hard to do.

Also, I have just bought an Incarnate Elemental of fire. Since the Drakkfoot clan is from Aqshy it would make some sense that a wurrgog and friends could channel the essence of his plane and summon a creature composed of it. I haven't seen the ghb18 yet, but as far as I know there are no reserve points any more period, so if I summon it through a spell it doesn't cost anything (at least at present. I fully expect it to change in the future, but for now it's fair game). This gives me a "free" unit to help compensate for the exorbitant cost of the Drakkfoot. The only drawback is that it is an insane 11 to cast. I will mitigate this a bit with the +2 to cast from the kopp rukk, +1 from the idol, and weird dance bonuses (which I believe multiple dances stack), and doubles always succeeding from the Drakkfoot. Even if I fail to cast it all game, it's just a failed spell every turn instead of 300 points down the drain. 

I plan to use it as a distraction to help my army advance some what in tact, and potentially snipe a hero or other unit. It is also a sacrificial lamb to trigger the moreboy bonuses for when a monster dies.

Yeah, this may be gaming the rules a bit, but with so many other armies getting free units, I feel that if you pull off an 11 to cast spell you deserve the free unit. If it gets changed that I have to pay points for it, then I'll just include it in my 2,500 point list.

Edited by bonzai

I don't think the Forgeworld units summon spells on the warscroll are going to survive the release FAQ.  I saw it confirmed somewhere that the Forgeworld FAQ & Warscroll update is going to come out day 1 along with the other errata.  I expect that they will have made a decision on how to handle these things.  But maybe they do keep them - you never really know.

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I don't think the Forgeworld units summon spells on the warscroll are going to survive the release FAQ.  I saw it confirmed somewhere that the Forgeworld FAQ & Warscroll update is going to come out day 1 along with the other errata.  I expect that they will have made a decision on how to handle these things.  But maybe they do keep them - you never really know.

Very likely, however without the summoning mechanic you can't take very many of them without breaking your faction allegiance. It was a nice work around, even though the spell was insane to cast.

I'd be surprised if forge world was that on top of it though. Especially on models they no longer carry. 

19 minutes ago, bonzai said:

I'd be surprised if forge world was that on top of it though. Especially on models they no longer carry. 

I would expect models that they no longer sell to potentially be phased out of Matched Play entirely and only work for Narrative or Open games.

Instead of Big Stabbas has anyone tried 2 allied Megabosses on Foot? Only 140 each... The way I read the Artifacts of Power from the Realms is that an allied hero can take them? There alot of good items that affect 1 weapon ie the Megabosses 6 attacks on 3s and 3s rend 1 dam 2. You can give one rend -3 and  the other sword of judgement or whatever. 

Look out sir and 3+ save. few of the new missions have wording that heroes with an Artifact of Power count for 20 models. I think the below list comes in at 1920. Seems to cover alot of missions such as duality, 3 places of arcane power, and such while still having 60 arrowboyz in a rukk which I always start my bonesplitterz lists around.

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Stonecleava
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Allies
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
5 x Savage Boarboyz (120)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (160)

Total: 1780 / 2000
Allies: 280 / 400
Wounds: 173

I really hope forgeworld isn't pushing the rogue idol over the 400 pts mark , since it's buffing casting and it now being more relevant. Have you guys thought about a troggoth hag? Yes she is not fully ideal since she won't die easy for the morboys, but she got a very good spell ( pretty much rend for everyone on 1 unit) and her damage output is also nice. Her tankines is also a upside, she heals d6 and your opponent gets 1 to hit in combat on her. And in the new casting meta she can damage mages with unbinds. I realy hope she doesn't get more expensive aswell. 

I think if your army needs some extra punch she is a great addition.