AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Jetengine said:

I'd be fine with standard Greenskinz being fused into Ironjawz . 

As is IJ are currently a mid-elite army. You can do a 1200 force of just under  30 models by focusing on Brutes and Gruntas. And at 62 models with Ardboyz. Throw in ordinary Greenskinz though as your chaff and suddenly you can REALLY swarm your foes. 

Go with Greenskin Warriors, Bowmen, Boar Riders and Warboss.

Bowmen can be made with Bonesplitter bitz, Boar Riders can open up a all mounted list with a Grunta Megaboss and the Warboss can buff non Brute/Grunta units and also do his Waaagh.

Can you show us an army list ? 

4 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey guys, new to Iron Jaws, can the IJ be decent on the competitive scene, what are the most popular builds for the army? thanks a lot for your help !

So I preface everything here with the statement. "We are due a new book soon which will probably change everything."

So ironjawz aren't super competitive, you have to get lucky both in game and on your matchups to do well. 2-3/5 is the reasonable if you are good with them.

Popular builds are the weirdfist, ironfist and megabattalions. The latter two use aetherquartz broach to stack as many waaagh! as possible then delete the opponent in one round of combat.

• Like 1

With my megaboss on cabbage coming soon into my household I'm thinking - Megaboss with Ironjawz or Gordrak in mixed destruction troll stampede? It's more of an army approach question rather than miniature one (but I want to use this cabbage), Both armies got the look and the tactical approach I like so...

It will be a fun army - like any destruction army although I'll like to stand a chance in local tournaments.

Your vote goes for...?

Edited by RoyalDachshund

@RoyalDachshund if you're doing that this is pretty much the only way to do so.

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (580)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Wild Fury
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 

Battleline
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas

Units
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

Anything else would be a suboptimal version of it.

So a bit of an AAR. Today I did a match in an ongoing local league. Killagore's Ironjawz fought against the daughters of khaine. 

This was a special scenario where the victory dependend on the control of 3 objectives at the end of turn 5, positioned in a vertical line in the middle of the battlefield. Deployment was three triangles, one big triangle that would go from the middle of the board to a side's edges and another two triangles that would start on the opposite side's edges and would end at the middle of each quadrant (so a bit like a salient). The mission had two twists:

Units would have +1 attack in CQC and they'd also gain +2'' of movement and +1 to their run and charge rolls. A scenario that favours meelee, to put it shortly.

My list was as follows. 

Killagore Faceslasha (megaboss on mawkrusha). 440pts

2x warchangers, one with da goldentoof (+1 bravery for IJ, -1 for enemies within 18'') and and another with big boss pole (no battleshock within 12''). 160pts

Gazzgor Skurrymarshal. Fungoidcaveshaman. 90pts.

3x10 units of ardboys with big choppas. 160ptsx3= 480pts.

One unit of goregruntas for 140pts.

An ironfist battallion. 180pts

1490pts. 1 additional CP and relic for the campaign.

My opponent fielded the following.

Bloodwrack medusa. 140pts.

2x slaughter queens. 200pts.

Bloodwrack shrine general. 220pts.

20 witch aelfs. 200pts.

2x10 blood sisters. 560pts.

2x5 khinerai 160pts.

2x5 blood stalkers. 320pts.

1 avatar of khaine. 180pts.

For 1980pts. 3 additional CPs for the campaign.

You'll notice a bit of disparity in points. Rolls haven't been that kind to me and the match was 1500pts of ironjaws vs 2000pts of Daughters of Khaine. A bit of an uphill battle but I had a plan.

I end up deployment first and do the reasonable thing. 

I go first. 

And this way you'll think I've gone insane, that I am giving up a game deciding factor. But both armies are pretty far away, as I've deployed pretty back within my lines and I do go even further back, forming a defensive ring with my ardboy units to protect the general and gruntas. Why I am doing this?

Because his forces are split on two sides on the board. And one turn of movement will place them within the chokepoints of the middle board, where there's more scenery. Also my shaman plays a key role? This little ****** here? He gives a command point a turn on a 4+. He's worth 90pts, while CPs are priced at 50 each. And he farmed me 3 of them, one each round. Truly a godsend.

Only two units manage to get within charge range. A bit more than a third of my army perishes in the meelee, though I swing back a few casualties and wounds against the witches and the avatar.

Now it's my moment. Mass charges all over the board, my entire army is in CQC. I activate my command ability. 

Six times. 

Thanks to prophet of the WAAAGH! I rolled 3 sixes and 3 successes with 7 units. I got +9 attacks.

I slaughter the avatar of khaine with tree ardboyz, triggering the ironjawz' special ability of skipping activation order a la 40k. A goregrunta fights and slaughters a medusa.

At this point, it... it didn't feel right to just go and remove the enemy's army without interaction. And my opponent is a fairly neat guy. So I felt bad and backtracked a bit, striking a compromise. I had not spent 6 CP, but rather 3. I would keep the attacks made from the one unit and model that had already fought, but the remainder would count with only +2 attacks instead of +9. 

The fight keeps on, my Mawkrusha boss, even without those extra 7 attacks, wipes out the block of 10 blood sisters. 

My boss takes a pounding from bloodsisters and queen. The third turn begins with me getting the double turn. I organise another mass charge but only waaagh! once to keep things reasonable, despite having 4 CP. I commit the fatal mistake of splitting attacks. I fail to kill the queen with a single wound left. And she finishes my Megaboss. The fighting continues, casualties fly across the third turn. The khinerai descend and the two units combined finish of my wounded shaman, whom's taken 2 rounds of shooting from the two stalker units (seriously, that guy was amazeballs). I regroup and organize countercharges, I wipe the two khinerai units in combat and the stalkers (previous round mainly) save for a unit leader. 

At this point we are down in the single digits of models. But he still has the cauldron. Long story short? He wipes out my force as he's left with a single queen at 2 wounds and the cauldron with a single suffered wound.

Having had the extra attacks would have cemented my victory, as both the other block of blood sisters and witches would have been wiped out in that round without any retaliation, but I still think I would have won otherwise had I concentrated attacks on the queen, rolled a bit better, or piled in differently back in the 2nd turn. Alas, I am too much of a softy.

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2019 at 10:53 PM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Now it's my moment. Mass charges all over the board, my entire army is in CQC. I activate my command ability. 

Six times. 

Thanks to prophet of the WAAAGH! I rolled 3 sixes and 3 successes with 7 units. I got +9 attacks.

This right here sums up my #1 issue with IJ. Having a fun balanced game with them is hard, either they get steamrolled by most competent lists or objective grabbing, or this happens. The allegiance ability also cements the point that it is a snowball army, so either you have no fun getting rolled over or your opponent has no fun.

The entire stacking mechanic seems broken by design, but is the only really viable way to go, as the IJ warscrolls are underwhelming by themselves.

I would not have gone back and adjusted attacks, you even end up losing anyway to an opponent who made the wrong plays. If a 2k DoK list loses to a 1,5k IJ list, then that is fully deserved no matter what. Although I know what you are trying to do, then take the win fast and play again ;)

There are so many ways to counter play the whaaag mechanic which is why IJ lose so much.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

Aren't you guys pissed that the only Orruks models in 2 years are on the ground under Stormcast feet? 🤣

I want an Ironjawz tome badly, starting to feel trolled.

There is definitely an Ironjawz tome coming we just don't know when. Honestly I'm hoping that we get a bunch new units to go with it rather than just the hero, spells and warscroll updates.

• Like 3

On 4/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, Malakree said:

There is definitely an Ironjawz tome coming we just don't know when. Honestly I'm hoping that we get a bunch new units to go with it rather than just the hero, spells and warscroll updates.

I'm with you. Yet the community survey has me scared a little because instead of Ironjawz, bonesplitters and greenskins being seperate choices they were all listed under Orruks.

I'd prefer to keep the ironjawz a seperate low model count faction like they are now instead of them becoming like most other factions where you rely on large blobs and some heroes to buff them. 

Ironjawz could have a rule where instead of counting the models in range of an objective you count the total amount of wounds of all non-hero models. 

Also recently re-based by Mawkrusha, time to get another one.

mawk.png.d1564512dde5282a94751fb0bcfd2230.png

Edited by Warfiend
  • Like 4

So for fun I like to add a bit of variety to my army, even if it’s a bit suboptimal. Has anyone tried running the orruk warboss on wyvern as an ally? You miss out in the sweet banner the warboss on foot has, but if you equip a shield that’s a  flying 11 wound model with a 4+ rerollable save and a waaagh ability for 240 points. Seems like a decent anvil unit or objective holder. Or at minimum a big, scary looking distraction.

7 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

So for fun I like to add a bit of variety to my army, even if it’s a bit suboptimal. Has anyone tried running the orruk warboss on wyvern as an ally? You miss out in the sweet banner the warboss on foot has, but if you equip a shield that’s a  flying 11 wound model with a 4+ rerollable save and a waaagh ability for 240 points. Seems like a decent anvil unit or objective holder. Or at minimum a big, scary looking distraction.

This is my next list i'm testing, pretty confident it's solid:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warboss on Wyvern (240)
- Boss Choppa and Boss Shield
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ironfist (180)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1890 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 330 / 400
Wounds: 142

15 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

I ran one alongside a Mawkrusha in a game against skaven between them they deleted a unit of 30 stormvermin in 2 turns of combat 

I found he was my MVP his base helped protect the crusha from being enveloped and his CA is so much more reliabl I ended up using every turn and it optimised both monsters as it buffers each weapon option 

they ran up the flank turn 1 deleted the unit by end of 2 and The rest  of my army (ardboyz n brutes) had marched up the centre engaged so they came in on the flank and basically won me the game. 

I have spent considerable time and effort converting an old azrag wyvern n put a warchanter on board so will be upset if he losses his matched play rules ! 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, Scurvydog said:

This right here sums up my #1 issue with IJ. Having a fun balanced game with them is hard, either they get steamrolled by most competent lists or objective grabbing, or this happens. The allegiance ability also cements the point that it is a snowball army, so either you have no fun getting rolled over or your opponent has no fun.

The entire stacking mechanic seems broken by design, but is the only really viable way to go, as the IJ warscrolls are underwhelming by themselves.

I would not have gone back and adjusted attacks, you even end up losing anyway to an opponent who made the wrong plays. If a 2k DoK list loses to a 1,5k IJ list, then that is fully deserved no matter what. Although I know what you are trying to do, then take the win fast and play again ;)

There are so many ways to counter play the whaaag mechanic which is why IJ lose so much.

On that front. We had another match him and I. Also part of the campaign.

Only with 1300 vs 2000 in his favour.

I did not win.

I *wiped him*. Major victory by holding the key objective. 710 points lost vs 2000 destroyed. Today was a good day to be a greenskin.

16 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

On that front. We had another match him and I. Also part of the campaign.

Only with 1300 vs 2000 in his favour.

I did not win.

I *wiped him*. Major victory by holding the key objective. 710 points lost vs 2000 destroyed. Today was a good day to be a greenskin.

Yea especially those without experience against IJ will run into trouble.

Against IJ a player should just go for objectives and choose few fights carefully.

Yesterday I had a 1500pt game with a Sylvaneth player who tried a durthu and 3x3 kurnoth hunters with just two support casters and tree revenants. He did not plan for mighty destroyers though, after taking a good turn 1, he moved forward with Durthu, and I got mighty destroyers of to move the MK double. He had lined up to face my units of brutes and ard boyz, so my MK had them in range for Whaagh. used 2 CP and rolled a 6 so +3 attacks, Durthu got one shot and a unit of brutes went right after and wiped a unit of summoned dryads in their way. 

My opponent nearly conceded right there, and perhaps by being demoralized missed that he could easily have won through objectives, nearly all my brutes died moving slooowly through wyldwoods and the MK was down to 2 wounds remaining after a scrap with some of the kurnoth hunters.

Yes I won, and it was not so much fun for my opponent, who lost due to inexperience mostly, even though insisting that +3 attacks from whaagh is the most overpowered mechanic in the game, while I tried to explain that a screen of 10 dryads could have made it all impossible.

IJ is just that kind of army that is hard to win with against more experienced opponents that know your few tricks, but those game you do win, the other guy will probably not have found that fun, as it is just a rough beatdown (I would agree that is orruk themed though).

Hoping for a new tome with more options, tougher brutes and ardboyz, more utility, useful battalions and perhaps less alpha strike stacking.

• Like 3

Hello guys, im new in Warhammer AoS and im choose IJ, becouse if like big muscle orruks. Till yesterday i played 4th games and 3 of them i lost. 

First battle was big mistake,  i don't known all special rules and my opponent was very skilled player so i don't blame any1, but last two battles was against Stormacast with same noobie player like me. We've been playing two 1500pkt battles and they where huge defeat. 

Now sing up to my local store narrative campaing. My first opponent will be Skavens. We'are gonna play 1000pkt. battle on Duality of Death scenario. 

Im looking some1 to help me understand how can i effectly build my army, for this combat and what are my biggest pros and cons.

How my whole army looks

- Gordrakk 
- 2 Shaman
- 2 Warchanter
- 5x5 Brutes
- 3x3 Gore Gruntas
- 2x10 Ard boys

cheers guys

15 minutes ago, Czarnyjas said:

Hello guys, im new in Warhammer AoS and im choose IJ, becouse if like big muscle orruks. Till yesterday i played 4th games and 3 of them i lost. 

First battle was big mistake,  i don't known all special rules and my opponent was very skilled player so i don't blame any1, but last two battles was against Stormacast with same noobie player like me. We've been playing two 1500pkt battles and they where huge defeat. 

Now sing up to my local store narrative campaing. My first opponent will be Skavens. We'are gonna play 1000pkt. battle on Duality of Death scenario. 

Im looking some1 to help me understand how can i effectly build my army, for this combat and what are my biggest pros and cons.

How my whole army looks

- Gordrakk 
- 2 Shaman
- 2 Warchanter
- 5x5 Brutes
- 3x3 Gore Gruntas
- 2x10 Ard boys

cheers guys

In my opinion Gordrakk is really not worth it, even in high point games he is all around "meh", I would only consider him along another Mawkkrusha in Ironsunz or Bloodtoofs battalion, so his command ability can affect everyone. In himself he is too squishy, a standard Mawkrusha as general can get the ironclad trait (rend value is 1 worse against him) and an artifact, such as ignax scales to get 4+ ave vs mortal wounds or a grpyh feather charm for a -1 to be hit, this makes him much much more durable than Gordrakk for much less points.

You have no other megaboss model on foot, so with those models you have and if people are ok with it, then you should use Gordrakk as a regular Mawkrusha, take a warchanter and 1 unit of brutes, ardboyz and goregruntas, that is 1000 pts. The MK is expensive at 1k points but often still worth it, Ironfist battalion is too expensive at 1k, so mobility is poor and having the MK fly 12" is important, especially with mighty destroyers on a 4+ he can move twice potentially.

Downsides to this list is a lower model count and only 5 units, so even if all are in 18" range in the combat phase, Mighty Whaagh command ability will still fail on a roll of a 6. You can reduce this problem a bit if you take prophet of the whaagh command trait, but then you lose ironclad and with half your point invested in the Mawkrusha, you want him to survive as well as possible.

An alternative list if you can get a standard megaboss on foot is:

1x megaboss

1x warchanter

1 xshaman (the funguid cave shaman is way better than the IJ one though)

2x5 brutes

1x10 ardboyz

1x3 goregruntas

Remember you can stack Whaagh with more command points for more attacks, none of the IJ units will hold up will to any other dedicated melee units without Whaagh.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, Scurvydog said:

In my opinion Gordrakk is really not worth it, even in high point games he is all around "meh", I would only consider him along another Mawkkrusha in Ironsunz or Bloodtoofs battalion, so his command ability can affect everyone. In himself he is too squishy, a standard Mawkrusha as general can get the ironclad trait (rend value is 1 worse against him) and an artifact, such as ignax scales to get 4+ ave vs mortal wounds or a grpyh feather charm for a -1 to be hit, this makes him much much more durable than Gordrakk for much less points.

You have no other megaboss model on foot, so with those models you have and if people are ok with it, then you should use Gordrakk as a regular Mawkrusha, take a warchanter and 1 unit of brutes, ardboyz and goregruntas, that is 1000 pts. The MK is expensive at 1k points but often still worth it, Ironfist battalion is too expensive at 1k, so mobility is poor and having the MK fly 12" is important, especially with mighty destroyers on a 4+ he can move twice potentially.

Downsides to this list is a lower model count and only 5 units, so even if all are in 18" range in the combat phase, Mighty Whaagh command ability will still fail on a roll of a 6. You can reduce this problem a bit if you take prophet of the whaagh command trait, but then you lose ironclad and with half your point invested in the Mawkrusha, you want him to survive as well as possible.

An alternative list if you can get a standard megaboss on foot is:

1x megaboss

1x warchanter

1 xshaman (the funguid cave shaman is way better than the IJ one though)

2x5 brutes

1x10 ardboyz

1x3 goregruntas

Remember you can stack Whaagh with more command points for more attacks, none of the IJ units will hold up will to any other dedicated melee units without Whaagh.

Today i was wondering about three tactict and battleplans 1k cost for my tommorow battle vs Skavens.

First look like this

- Megaboss
-3 x 3 Gruntas 
- Warchanter
- 10 Burtes 

What i know is this that my opponent going to use Plagueclaw so that why i chose 3 cavalry units to stop this machine. Brrutes will def one object till Grunts finish with enemy ranged units. And then i going to try get next object. 

Second Tact is similar but i using Ironfist Batalion and there is 2 gruntas, 2 brutes and megaboss on foot. With battalion im going be a little bit faster and im going to hit enemy very hard with a couple Waaagh abilities. 

On a third one i chose Shaman 
- megaboss
- Shaman ( i can't take unguid cave shaman, becouse we are going to play without allies army)
- 10x2 Ardboys (30 is better but i don't have them ;/ )
- 3x3 Gruntas 

Just focus on one objective and try to  use as many spells i can. 

Can you tell me what artefact shoud i use for this battleplans ? Is Waaagh abilites can be use couple time in one here phase? Do i missed something ? What is main tact for enemies with a lot of mortals ? 

Edited by Czarnyjas

The ironfist is very costly at 1k points and you will most likely have too few wounds on the table. 

I like the first list the best, but suggest splitting the brutes to 2x5 for multiple reasons:

1. with 2x5 you get 2 brute bosses who hit very hard and they will do most of the damage after using whaagh command ability.

2. With 10 man you can most likely not get all into combat anyway, so need to use gore hackas with 2" reach but only 3 attacks, you dont want to do that in such a small game generally. 2 small units can better use 2 choppas and get 2 bosses.

3. Whaagh command ability works by counting the number of Ironjawz units within range, which is only 10" for a Megaboss on foot, then roll a d6 and get LESS than the number of units in range, so the less units, the more likely this roll will fail and you get nothing. having 2 units of brutes helps with this. with 2x5 brutes, 2 heroes and 3 units of gruntas you have 7 units, so less hard to have 6 units in range (the megaboss himself counts, so need 5 more near him). Remember if you have 6 units and roll a 6 you get 2 attacks instead of 1!

The Whaagh command ability stacks for as many command points you have, so let's say you are in turn 3 combat phase and have not used any command points, then you will have 3 with the list above. You can then use the command ability Whaaagh 3 times. You roll 3 dice and count the unit within 10" of your megaboss, as explained above you want 5 more besides the boss himself to make sure it does not fail and you get 2 attacks on a 6. Lets say you roll those 3 dice and get a 3, 4 and 6, they of course all succeed as you have 6 units total in range, but the 6 is 2 attacks, so you get plus 4 attacks with ALL melee weapons on a model.

It is important that this is for ALL weapons, this is also why the brute boss is so good with the claw and smasha, as that is 2 weapons, so in the above case he gets 4 more attacks with EACH for a total of 5 claw attacks and 6 smasha attacks, brutal! This also goes for your megaboss with his choppa and the riptooth fist and Gore gruntas get +attacks for both the rider and the boar. This is basically the power of Ironjawz.

As for artifacts and command traits you want something to make the above happen, or make sure it does not fail. 1. You need command points but maybe more importantly 2. Your megaboss must stay alive to use the ability.

I like to protect my megaboss at least with the Ironclad general trait to reduce rend against him by 1, this is very handy on his 3+ save. Alternatively Prophet of the Whaagh lets you reroll the Whaagh dice, so if you lose a unit or two, it is less likely to fail or if you got 6+ units, you can try to roll again to get a 6 for 2 attacks.

For artifacts you have a lot of options and it might depend a bit on what you normally play against. The Ignax scales from malign sorcery gives 4+ save against mortal wounds, always handy and helps him not get sniped by spells etc before he does his whaagh, never a bad choice.

Gryph feather charm is also nice, as that gives him a minus 1 to be hit modifier and 1" more move, this is a decent artifact if you do not normally face armies with high mortal wound output.

If you want offensive power instead, then either the Ironjawz artifact "Destroyer" for 1 more dmg on his choppa is alright or if you phase a lot of high save stuff like Sylvaneth, Stormcasts and such, Blade of realities from Ulgu gives his choppa -3 rend.

Oddball option is the aetherquartz brooch, this has an effect, when every time you use a command point, you roll a dice and on a 5+ you get a command point back. This is highly unreliable but can be insanely effective with some luck to get even more whaaaghs.

Thx for reply @Scurvydog

I got two question 

12 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

The Whaagh command ability stacks for as many command points you have, so let's say you are in turn 3 combat phase and have not used any command points, then you will have 3 with the list above. You can then use the command ability Whaaagh 3 times. You roll 3 dice and count the unit within 10" of your megaboss, as explained above you want 5 more besides the boss himself to make sure it does not fail and you get 2 attacks on a 6. Lets say you roll those 3 dice and get a 3, 4 and 6, they of course all succeed as you have 6 units total in range, but the 6 is 2 attacks, so you get plus 4 attacks with ALL melee weapons on a model.

Is Waagh ability during to the end of combat phase or to my next hero phase? 

And second1 - Is megaboss getting Waagh ability too ? Or only frendly units ?

@Czarnyjas

The Megaboss both counts as a unit and gets the full benefit and attacks himself.

You use Whaagh at the start of the combat phase and then it lasts for that phase only. This means you need to plan where all your units are after charges, so charging 1-2 units too far ahead and out of range of whaagh (10" for a megaboss on foot) will be a problem.

• Like 1