AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Have a local comp coming up soon - not looking to win or anything, just looking to play something that might be a bit of fun. It’s an ultra competitive group and am really not worried where I place (as the more hardcore players will be running some full on lists). With that in mind this is what I’ve come up with. 

Any suggestions for artifacts and realm etc? Am keen to add some squigs so thought the boingrots might fit well with the whole cavalry theme  

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: ?

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
-
 General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
-
 Allies

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
-
 Pig-iron Choppas
-
 Pig-iron Choppas
-
 Pig-iron Choppas
-
 Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
-
 Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
-
 Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
-
 Allies

Battalions
Gorefist (190)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 290 / 400
Wounds: 140

43 minutes ago, Timcz said:

I wonder if you’d get more benefit from dropping the iron fist and running with some warchanters instead for buffs? 

that could be good, would the extra D6 movement from the battalion be better? or 2 warchanters, also if i did the 2 warchanters i could drop the megaboss and ally a warboss for wound rerolls of 1 withing 16inches of the great waaagh banner and also his waaagh abiliy is 12inchs as opposed to the megaboss who has 10inchs

Edited by mooseboy18

On 1/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, mooseboy18 said:

that could be good, would the extra D6 movement from the battalion be better? or 2 warchanters, also if i did the 2 warchanters i could drop the megaboss and ally a warboss for wound rerolls of 1 withing 16inches of the great waaagh banner and also his waaagh abiliy is 12inchs as opposed to the megaboss who has 10inchs

Hard to say. I’ve always found 1000 point games tough. In AoS1 I always ran the battalion but now in v2 I can’t help but think they’re too expensive an investment at this points cost when you could run 2 warchanters or an extra unit of brutes. 

I need to play a lot more 1000 point games myself and figure out what works best. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 2:57 AM, mooseboy18 said:

10 minutes ago, Timcz said:

Hard to say. I’ve always found 1000 point games tough. In AoS1 I always ran the battalion but now in v2 I can’t help but think they’re too expensive an investment at this points cost when you could run 2 warchanters or an extra unit of brutes. 

I need to play a lot more 1000 point games myself and figure out what works best. 

Imo our Points per Wound and Points per Bodies is to low to splash out for a battalion at 1k, especially since none of ours help keep our units alive. 

4 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Imo our Points per Wound and Points per Bodies is to low to splash out for a battalion at 1k, especially since none of ours help keep our units alive. 

That’s it - more wounds makes us more survivable at the lower point levels. Bonuses from the battalions aren’t there really I think. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:36 PM, Timcz said:

I wonder if you’d get more benefit from dropping the iron fist and running with some warchanters instead for buffs? 

Warchanters won’t help if you can’t get where you need to be in time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mooseboy18 said:

yeah thats true, 1k points just doesnt seem like enough points to be able to make a great ironjawz list, 1.5k should be good or 1250pt

This is essentially the issue.

At 1k points I'd probably end up with something like this.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 92

Not wasting cps on Waaagh! Instead using them to run the Ardboys across the board so they can start tarpitting asap.

3 minutes ago, Blitzel said:

Greetings all, I was wondering. If I were to make the brute boss of my iron fist the general. Can I give him the"prophet of the waaagh!" Command ability? And run him next to my mega bosses for an additional cheap WAAAAAGH!

?

He can't be your general in matched play as he lacks the hero keyword.

got a re-match on wednsday against a LoN list. Last time he brought a vamp lord on dragon, two necros, 30 reapers, 2-3x 10 skellies,  10  hexwraiths and a mournghoul.. I got absolutely blasted. Killed the 30 reapers he threw at me turn one. Buuuuuuut then they just came back from one of his graves in his turn. 
Maw krusha boss got tied up with the mournghoul and blasted with debuffs (- to hit/wound and damage) ..

Anyone got some advise on what I can do. I just wanna last a little longer than bottom or turn three and actulla put up a fight..

4 hours ago, Blitzel said:

Ah right . Was that a thing in version 1 of the game? Where you could nominate anyone as your general?

It's a matched play thing, not a version thing. If you aren't playing with the matched play rules then you can pick any model as your general and cycle to another when it dies.

47 minutes ago, Thenord said:

Anyone got some advise on what I can do. I just wanna last a little longer than bottom or turn three and actulla put up a fight..

Don't play vs LoN. There is advice but against a properly built list it's basically play your army perfectly and take advantage of any mistakes he makes. I would need about an hour of talking over specific situations to try and explain what you can do.

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

It's a matched play thing, not a version thing. If you aren't playing with the matched play rules then you can pick any model as your general and cycle to another when it dies.

Don't play vs LoN. There is advice but against a properly built list it's basically play your army perfectly and take advantage of any mistakes he makes. I would need about an hour of talking over specific situations to try and explain what you can do.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got during the game. Was talking with my opponent afterwards, and he honestly couldn't see what I could have done different to his army. Most other strong armies (deepkin, nurgle etc) I can find some way, to just put out some damage or make the game interresting.. But seems really defficult against LoN. 

9 hours ago, Thenord said:

got a re-match on wednsday against a LoN list. Last time he brought a vamp lord on dragon, two necros, 30 reapers, 2-3x 10 skellies,  10  hexwraiths and a mournghoul.. I got absolutely blasted. Killed the 30 reapers he threw at me turn one. Buuuuuuut then they just came back from one of his graves in his turn. 
Maw krusha boss got tied up with the mournghoul and blasted with debuffs (- to hit/wound and damage) ..

What was your list? What scenario did you play?

Advice aside, you can try asking the Lon player to use a suboptimal (not bad) list against you so that you can more easily identify how to pick apart that faction. For learning purposes, essentially. He'd benefit too, since it gives him more of a challenge.

But I'll see what I can do for you anyway when I know your list and the scenario :) I don't think you shouldn't play against Lon. That won't help you figure out how to beat it at all :)

37 minutes ago, Mayple said:

What was your list? What scenario did you play?

Advice aside, you can try asking the Lon player to use a suboptimal (not bad) list against you so that you can more easily identify how to pick apart that faction. For learning purposes, essentially. He'd benefit too, since it gives him more of a challenge.

But I'll see what I can do for you anyway when I know your list and the scenario :) I don't think you shouldn't play against Lon. That won't help you figure out how to beat it at all :)

i should mention the games are preperation for a tournament next weekend (he's going) so it's gonna be pretty optimised lists he's runnig :)

My list was:

Cabbage boss; ironclad, gildenbane

footboss: golden toof

wierdnob

2x warchanter

10 brutes- jagged hakas

20 ard boys

2x3 pigs

ironfist

Mission.  Knife to the heart
Realm feature was: Only units with fly can run (pretty handy for him and pretty bad for my haha)

Deployment: I had pigs on opposit flank, cabbage boss left, ard boys on my objective with a chanter and wierdnob mixed in, brutes, footboss and other chanter on right flank behind pigs.  :)

Edited by Thenord

1 hour ago, Thenord said:

i should mention the games are preperation for a tournament next weekend (he's going) so it's gonna be pretty optimised lists he's runnig :)

My list was:

Cabbage boss; ironclad, gildenbane

footboss: golden toof

wierdnob

2x warchanter

10 brutes- jagged hakas

20 ard boys

2x3 pigs

ironfist

Realm feature was: Only units with fly can run (pretty handy for him and pretty bad for my haha)

Deployment: I had pigs on opposit flank, cabbage boss left, ard boys on my objective with a chanter and wierdnob mixed in, brutes, footboss and other chanter on right flank behind pigs.  :)

Ouch! 

Yeah, I can see why you lost that one :P The scenario heavily favours his army, and you got absolutely destroyed by that realm feature. 

That being said, you'll generally benefit a lot from either splitting your 'ard boys into 2x10, or settling for their sweet discount at 30. Anything in-between is both detrimental for your positioning (can't split it up, so you can be outmaneuvered. 30 works around this by covering a much larger area effectively), and eats into your point efficiency (those final 10 boys are extremely cheap) - Your brutes would also benefit from splitting up. You'd get one extra brute boss, and flexibility in maneuvering. Jagged hakkas are a fine choice, as that allows them to stand behind their smaller ard boys cousins and smack the enemy) - I'm also of the opinion that you've brought a warchanter too many to the battle, but that's pure preference, so don't worry too much about it ;) Also note that splitting up your units means more units counted for the purpose of the Waagh roll.

As a sort of specific step to take against LoN in particular; consider the Ardfist battalion over the Ironfist. You'll benefit greatly from the ability to come back from a bad fight, and your troops are generally much tougher than whatever the LoN player can throw at you, meaning the power of getting them back from the dead tilts in your favour. Mind that I'm not saying it is better in general (although I do think so) - but that it could help you bridge the gap in this matchup and allow you compete more evenly. 

List shenanigans aside, the only thing/strategy I see that you would be forced to employ during the knife to the heart/no running battle would be to tank it up for two rounds, and try to cheese him on round three by going on an all out hail mary offense in a bid to get both of the objectives on your turn, winning you the game. That means you'd position yourself around your own objective (probably a bit forwards), keep your Mawcrusha chaffed off as a way to force the opponent to keep his vampire lord on zombie dragon in reserve (your mawcrusha would surely eat that guy for breakfast) - let your 'ardboys absorb whatever he throws at you (30 works great for this, but you only had 20, so I don't know if they could withstand it, to be honest) - and then use your infantry - i.e; whatever remains of your 'ardboyz + brutes to focus-fire the reapers, and then the mournghul (in that order, even if they're both up-close) ---- If that leaves the reapers weakened but not dead, great, but you'd be looking to get a small breather in the time it takes the reapers to re-enter the fight after ressurecting. Your Gore-gruntas would in theory be free to roam along the flanks to bait out his Vampire lord//wait for their moment of glory at that comes at round 3. Waaghing out as much as you can would be the name of the game here, since you're taking the fight stationary, and thus perfectly positioned for the golden toof battleshock immunity, so you don't need the CP for anything else. The time to go -all out- with this would probably be round two, to free yourself up for a round three charge.

You'd form a giant moshpit, in other words, and keep it slugging until you break it open on the third turn onwards.

If the vampire lord had exposed himself at any point during all of that, your mawcrusha has one job, and that's the one. No vampire lord (general) = no ressurection - but it is generally safest to assume you'll be unable to get him out of the game, as the LoN player knows how valuable he is. 

Come round three, you'd either be dead, or have your one shot at glory. If your opponent is clever, he'll anticipate your hail mary, and play more defensively himself, but that still leaves you with the initiative. And at the end of the day, your Orruks got to have a big brawl, so you technically win regardless ;)

But that is pretty much a losing fight. A combination of realm feature (major), scenario (minor), and lack of staying power in your list (minor) adds up to a seriously tough uphill struggle :P So I don't think you should be too dismayed by that loss. You'll find a much more even fight when the odds aren't stacked against you before you even put your models down. 

Edited by Mayple

2 hours ago, Thenord said:

Here's your problem. Don't play this scenario, it's basically auto-loss vs the vast majority of armies.

Unless it's at a tournament I refuse to play it. At tournaments I don't bother trying to win and just go for as many kill points as possible, you can also try for the Minor Loss instead of the Major Loss. 

Just sit your entire army on your objective and don't leave it for anything

Edited by Malakree

Well, I'm glad to hear more experienced IJ players also blaming the mission (and that stupid, stupid(!) realm feature). as I said, looking back at  the game and talking to my opponent, who's a great guy btw, i really couldn't see how it could've turned out any different..  at least we're not gonna play that mission and realm tomorrow.. So hopefully I'll get a break with the mission and feature next game. Thanks for the tips :)

btw. you think skargrot will be auto include as ally for ironjawz? He looks insanely good, even tho he can't be our general for extra CP..