AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@Superninja Dump the second Megaboss and go for the Banner boss tbh, it's functionally the same thing

11 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hi green people! Quick question with the price rise off the start collecting and Ironjawz being one of the most discounted I might just pick it up. 

Main goal for a converted skirmish band but long term for a small army. Is it good value? Money wise it seems so, but do you actually use the models in the box? 

Currently the only Ironjawz models you don't use are the Brutes, Footboss and Weirdnob. So uh yeah, it's solid

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

Can Ironjawz ally with GG? Saw a list on the previous page with some Bounders, which I have on order and the rest could be easily built up with SC boxes which makes it relatively cheap. Are squigs a good addition to an IJ force? 

Moonclan and Troggoths yes. Spiderfang no.

Basically ignore the Gloomspite Gitz keyword and look for the other allegiance keywords.

45 minutes ago, Superninja said:

Which of the lists are most viable? Is the Gordrakk list viable?

For what points values, what kind of games, what level of play etc.

1k, ironjawz are pretty bad because we want battalions/cabbage which are way to costly for 1k. At 2k we have a few mid-tier lists but nothing which is ever going to 5/5 a real tournament unless you roll like a living god.

Well, I am a living god.  jk/lol. 

It's 3 matches.

I agree with the problems you propose at 1k.  It has me frustrated and looking possibly toward nighthaunt.  However, I haven't run them yet, so I would most likely just forget half their stuff...

I may have to leave anyway if wife calls me home because of our newborn.  Which is fine.  I am lucky she is pushing me to go to the tournament in the first place.

So, back to ironjawz at 1k. 

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Well, I am a living god.  jk/lol. 

It's 3 matches.

I agree with the problems you propose at 1k.  It has me frustrated and looking possibly toward nighthaunt.  However, I haven't run them yet, so I would most likely just forget half their stuff...

I may have to leave anyway if wife calls me home because of our newborn.  Which is fine.  I am lucky she is pushing me to go to the tournament in the first place.

So, back to ironjawz at 1k. 

Honestly, no idea. 😅 I wouldn't focus on getting an Ironjawz Waaagh! off because it's fricking hard to have the 6 units in range reliably at 1k. BannerBoss is definitely the right call here.

If you want a Footboss use him with Thermal Rider Cloak, the fly and +4" move makes a massive difference.

I'd go for 2 units of Goregruntas, they are amazing at the moment. Use them to screen drops, threaten objectives, hit poorly defended characters etc.

Other than that it's really up to you. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 200
Wounds: 79

It's a little low on bodies but what you going to do. I also took into account that you wanted to run more brutes rather than just GG's/Ardboy swarms.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak 

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 106

If it was me and I knew there was a dodgy Balista drop coming I'd run something like this. Massive Block of wounds in the middle, try for some footsies with the Weirdnob. Use the 3x3 gg's to screen/hold objectives and the 6 GG's as heavy/shock cav.

What about this? I don't quite have the full 18 gruntas, but i have bases for the last 6 and proxy is ok.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Shyish
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Wraithbow
Orruk Warchanter (80)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 102

Also I don't mind ardboys, just love the look of brutes.  I have used the thermalrider cloak, in fact the last match against the stormcast guy where the megaboss got killed with the ballista. 

Edited by Superninja

I think this is what I am taking: 2 sources of waagh. The gore gruntas can go off by themselves if needed. Leaving 6 units around for the waagh still. 

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh!
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 10x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 1000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

Turned out ok.  1 major win, 1 major loss, 1 minor victory.

Won first game vs. Seraphon 1st strike list.  Just barely made it out alive and came back and won on points.  Total Commitment.

Lost 2nd game vs. Sylvaneth....WTF!!!!  Holy ****** these guys are nuts.  Unkillable hero 2+ save/rerolling 1's....a;fkldjl;sdjfjasdfl;kasfd;jasdf;kjlas.  Escalation.

Won 3rd, went to time, I had killed more models. Places of Arcane power, we both only had 1 hero with and artefact.  I could have won a major victory on this one in my opinion.

Edited by Superninja

5 hours ago, Superninja said:

Won first game vs. Seraphon 1st strike list.  Just barely made it out alive and came back and won on points.  Total Commitment.

Lost 2nd game vs. Sylvaneth....WTF!!!!  Holy ****** these guys are nuts.  Unkillable hero 2+ save/rerolling 1's....a;fkldjl;sdjfjasdfl;kasfd;jasdf;kjlas.  Escalation.

Won 3rd, went to time, I had killed more models. Places of Arcane power, we both only had 1 hero with and artefact.  I could have won a major victory on this one in my opinion.

Us dude and yes sylvaneth are gross atm. It's one of the reasons I am sorely tempted to put skragrott into my ironjawz lists.

It's also why I value -2 rend so much.

8 hours ago, Superninja said:

Good effort either way! 

Can you remember what the sylvaneth guy played?

33 minutes ago, Gordrakk said:

Hey guys,

I have a tournament at the end of the month and planning on taking Ironjawz; what do you think of my list? I can’t take realm artefacts, so need to pick one from the Ironjawz book, which I haven’t decided on yet, I would appreciate any feedback!

Ironjawz%20.pdf

Daubing of Mork on your General.

Metal Rippers Klaw on the other one.

Treelord ancient, not sure about artefacts, but he was basically unkillable. 2+ save, rerolling 1's.  20 dryads,  5 tree revenents, 1 branchwraith, and 1 branchwitch.  2 battalions pretty sure. 

Doesn't seem like a lot.  But it was.

The woods were the most devastating.  Lost my gorechoppa and then my brute boss the next turn due to charges within.

Edited by Superninja

5 hours ago, Gordrakk said:

Hey guys,

I have a tournament at the end of the month and planning on taking Ironjawz; what do you think of my list? I can’t take realm artefacts, so need to pick one from the Ironjawz book, which I haven’t decided on yet, I would appreciate any feedback!

Ironjawz%20.pdf

It's very similar to my list, except I take bloodtoofs instead of the ardboyz.  I'm having reasonable success with it (for Ironjawz & compared to my usual poor performance) but I rely heavily on the aetherquartz brooch and mirrored cuirass, which you won't have

What do you guys think is too many gore gruntas? I have 6 at the moment, but have been offered another 9 for about 105 USD. 

So that would leave me with 15 in total. But is that too many in a 2k army. Not in regards to competitiveness of list (most of the guys I play against are sylvaneth with lots of dryads, nurgle with bearers and blightkings, LoN grimghast reapers... you get the picture?) but more if it will make my list less effective? overall I really like my gruntas, they're "fast", survivable, hits ok.

But what do you think?

It depends what kind of list you're running.

I think if you're planning on playing a Gorefist then 15 isn't too many at all, and you may even want a few more!

On the other hand for other kinds of list it probably is more than you need.

So I guess the question is; do you want to play Gorefist (or at least have the option to)?

Just bought into Ironjawz via another person's collection and a couple of eBay purchases:

Megaboss (foot)

Weirdnob Shaman

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Ardboys x10

Brutes (two hand weapons) x5

What would be my next recommended purchases? I was thinking a "Start Collecting" box. What else after that?

Thanks!

@Totengraber 2 start collecting boxes then a cabbage.

That will give you 30 ardboys and 6 ggs along with the 2 warchanters. Having 30 ardboys, 10-25 brutes (I have 15 so can't go super brute heavy) and 6 goregruntas will let you run the vast majority of ironjawz lists.

Meanwhile the cabbage is basically mandatory at 2k for a huge number of reasons and the overwhelming majority of lists will run 1 or 2 warchanters.

After that it recommend a balewind vortex In case you want to mess about with a weirdfist finally a second cabbage for the double cabbage option.

Finally whatever you want. It's really just picking up what you like from that point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

It depends what kind of list you're running.

I think if you're planning on playing a Gorefist then 15 isn't too many at all, and you may even want a few more!

On the other hand for other kinds of list it probably is more than you need.

So I guess the question is; do you want to play Gorefist (or at least have the option to)?

It's not that I have a goal to play a full gorefist list. My question were more bases on the productivity of the gruntas, as oposed to ard boys or brutes 🙂

brand new to AOS and wanting to start a ironjawz army, love the brute models so i made this list, what do you guys think? and what would you change 
Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Battleline
Units
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 67

2 hours ago, mooseboy18 said:

brand new to AOS and wanting to start a ironjawz army, love the brute models so i made this list, what do you guys think? and what would you change 
Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Battleline
Units
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 21
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 67

I wonder if you’d get more benefit from dropping the iron fist and running with some warchanters instead for buffs?