AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Question. Does Ironskull's boyz count as 'Ardboyz for the purpose of battalion requirements? If so, how does this look?

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)
40 x Gitmob Grots (200)
- Bows & Slashas
- Allies

Battalions
Ardfist (170)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 340 / 400
Wounds: 209

As mentioned it Ironskulls do not count for the battalion, so id drop the from the list and get a grot shaman. It would give you a cheap caster and the spell makes the large grot unit an actual threat

1 minute ago, Oreaper84 said:

As mentioned it Ironskulls do not count for the battalion, so id drop the from the list and get a grot shaman. It would give you a cheap caster and the spell makes the large grot unit an actual threat

Don't have the space for that when I'm also using an Orruk Warboss with Waagh banner. They're just there to be a low-threat objective sneak with some throwaway pew pew ;) I tend to run them in units of 60 with a shaman normally, but that doesn't work out in this case unless I trade out the warboss. Might be better, might be worse.

16 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Don't have the space for that when I'm also using an Orruk Warboss with Waagh banner. They're just there to be a low-threat objective sneak with some throwaway pew pew ;) I tend to run them in units of 60 with a shaman normally, but that doesn't work out in this case unless I trade out the warboss. Might be better, might be worse.

actually you're right....in looking at it you dont have enough units to do both the warboss and the grots as it is (1 for every 4)

2 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

actually you're right....in looking at it you dont have enough units to do both the warboss and the grots as it is (1 for every 4)

I think some interpretation of allies is 1 out of 4 not 1 alongside 4. So it might be 1 ally per 3 normal units.

But I could be wrong, thats what some other people on this forum seem to gather.

6 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think some interpretation of allies is 1 out of 4 not 1 alongside 4. So it might be 1 ally per 3 normal units.

But I could be wrong, thats what some other people on this forum seem to gather.

You are correct. So the breakdown is (Allies : Non Allies)

• 1:3
  • 2:6
  • 3:9

etc.

• Thanks 1

I played this list at my local tournament and never lost a match (though a little one but got 3-0).

I have most experience in playing against Death, Stormcast, Khorne, Nurgle

This is a brief idea and tips to play Ironjawz in 1K matches.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline

Units
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Total: 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 69

First of: Turn one helps alot for melee oriented armies. that's why i played with the Ironfist battalion to get a 1+ to my roll (my tournament had that rule)

bcs i could deploy my army with just 4 drops and increase my chances of getting it ( Ironfist is really good aswell )

You'll be suprised how little people play battalions in 1K.

How i played each unit

Brutes: Deploy as close to the front as you possibly can and go for elite units first. if you're up against monster then brutes can do even more damage.

If they deploy thier characters in the open...go for them at once. In 1k characters are your most important aspect imo and you can

cripple synergies and buffs really well and that often makes players do bad moves later on and hesitate on being aggressive.

10 brutes in 1k is more than enough damage to survive against most lists when it comes do damage output.

Ardboyz: 1 mission - Camp an objective as long as possible to get points. Usually they are underestimated too.

Megaboss:  MVP in most of my matches. buff him with HULKING MUSCLE-BOUND BRUTE + DESTROYER..

i played him without hesitation and buffed him with max damage and oh boy could he smack some faces in.

I even killed Arkhan  with some help of brutes in 1 turn. Have him close to both or one of the brutes for the buff and assist.

Watch out for Mortal Wounds and if you can't assure a pretty simple charge i would suggest not leaving him in the open.

i usually put him a bit further back from my brutes so they can lock a unit up and cripple it and then end it with the megaboss.

The WAAAAAAGH + attack buff is.....everything. If you wait 1 turn to use it you'll have 3 Command points turn 2 with this list.

HINT: if you know he is up against something you need to be killed...use the warchanter buff on him.

using 3 command points and warchanter buffs gives your choppa a nasty profile:

9 Attacks 2+ / 3+ re rolling 1's -1 Rend 3 Damage - you can kill arkhan with this dude alone....

Warchanter: Really important unit. i would give him the extra artefact (The Golden Toof) so he can safely stand back and assure nothing flees.

go to the nearest objective and leave him there. this guy saved me a game bcs he usually gets ignored.

Combination: Objective + reaching the buff. could be tricky but it's awsome when it works.

ALWAYS GO FOR POINTS WHEN PLAYING IRONJAWZ - Cripple them and then use your movement to back up and camp objectives.

Summary: If you're up against armies that is slow and tough and rely on synergies you try to counter charge them. stack the Command Points and then

swoop in using them all on the WAAAAGH buff from your Megaboss and things will die.

Use Ardboyz and Warchanters as objective holders and Brutes +  Megaboss for the damage.

If you face a squishy army / normal wound army you go for the throat as soon as you can. tie up units just outside objectives if possible.

this list gives you 2 command points turn 1...use them both turn 1 and use your 2D6 move to get a sweet charge in the face.

In my experience this works best when you get the deployment type that lets you deploy 9" from the middle. perfect for Ironjawz in every way.

Quick Math: go for the charge if you have 19" from your opponents nearest enemy model or less. that gives you over 50% chance of completing the charge bcs we have +1 to charge rolls.

If you get the MIGHTY DESTROYERS move in you should always think 19,5 inch threat bubble. every unit in this list have base 4" move so the math is this

4 + 4 + D6 (3) + D6 (3) + Charge 6" (becomes 5" with Ironjawz) to be exactly right you could be 19,5 away beacause the charge is completed if you're half  a inch away.

Same mindset goes in when trying too reach an objective (Remember you cant run if you use the D6 move...if you need 6" use the Command points for automatic 6" run instead of the D6.

The best thing to learn when playing Ironjawz is the movement. you can use it in many ways:

Get out of combat in the hero phase and charge other units and/or Run later in the same turn.

Get a 19,5 inch threat range with brutes when rolling average D6 and Average Charge rolls and Mighty Destroyers (4+ roll with megaboss)

Go for far away objectives and surprise your opponent.

It's all about putting your opponent off guard. this army is really good in the end game bcs of the movement. I won 2 of my games when u charged fully buffed and then backed off to go for every objective turn 2 and after that they fell behind in points. they usually had more units than me turn 4 but i got the points to win the game. that's the good thing about Sigmar, even if you get tabled you can still win.

Best Advice when playing Ironjawz:

Stack as much command points and use them all at the same turn.

When you've crippled summoning armies and Elite armies...back off and go for the big price (Objectives)

Go for Characters left in the open.

Use the movement to your advantage and always think points before killing units (Except turn 1 if you get it)

This is my experience on how to use them well. The movement + command ability is everything in this list.

when you get the timing right...you'll be a hard opponent to win against.

Hello! I am kind of new To warhammer in General and I enjoy The hobby aspect of it a lot. I already have some modells for my ironjaw list and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a viable list (doesnt have To be The best) so i could play with The modells i have. And a little runthrough for how To play them. 

3 gore gruntas

10 ardboyz

1 warshanter 

1 fungoid cave shaman

1 aleguzzler gargant (might buy a second one) 

1 mawcrusha 

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_20181216_014000.jpg

My list i though about is 

Mawcrusha

2x warshanter 

Fungoid cave shaman

20x brutes (idk if i go 10-5-5 or 4 groups of 5) 

2x aleguzzler gargants

Battalion: Ironfist 

Endless spells: cogs and jaws

Edited by omotiverat
Added a list i thought of
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

A mate I play against has purchased an ironjawz army which just steamrolled everything with his giant cabbage (mega boss on mawcrusher). This unit is awful to play against but seems very overpowered. He was using it with a 2+ save, ignoring rend and a 5+ to ignore failed saves. 

Can someone shed some light on how this can be so impervious to wounds? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Hi guys,

A mate I play against has purchased an ironjawz army which just steamrolled everything with his giant cabbage (mega boss on mawcrusher). This unit is awful to play against but seems very overpowered. He was using it with a 2+ save, ignoring rend and a 5+ to ignore failed saves. 

Can someone shed some light on how this can be so impervious to wounds? Thanks.

How is he doing all that on the maw krusha?  You can't buff the save if you ignore rend with an ethereal amulet.  Where does the 5+ come from?  Where is the +1 to save coming from?  I'm guessing he is playing something incorrectly.

23 hours ago, tolstedt said:

How is he doing all that on the maw krusha?  You can't buff the save if you ignore rend with an ethereal amulet.  Where does the 5+ come from?  Where is the +1 to save coming from?  I'm guessing he is playing something incorrectly.

I see, I didn't really question him until he was mowing through my guys and was rolling a 2+ save and if he did fail, ignored it on a 5 or 6. It just seems too much. 2+ save ignoring rend is pointless playing against.

Another question, do you get ironjawz abilities as well as the generic destruction abilities? 

15 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Another question, do you get ironjawz abilities as well as the generic destruction abilities?

No, you either have Ironjawz allegiance, which gives you access to Ironjawz abilities, or General Destruction allegiance, which gives you access to General Destruction abilities.  You cannot have both or mix and match; it is one or the other.   Also, to fulfil Ironjawz allegiance, you need to fulfil the requirements and restrictions in terms of battleline and allies, etc.  (Battleline isn't difficult as all 3 troop units are battleline.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

No, you either have Ironjawz allegiance, which gives you access to Ironjawz abilities, or General Destruction allegiance, which gives you access to General Destruction abilities.  You cannot have both or mix and match; it is one or the other.   Also, to fulfil Ironjawz allegiance, you need to fulfil the requirements and restrictions in terms of battleline and allies, etc.  (Battleline isn't difficult as all 3 troop units are battleline.)

Thanks, I thought as much. My freeguild don't get general order abilities. 

3 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Thanks, I thought as much. My freeguild don't get general order abilities. 

There are Free Peoples Allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts on page 106 of the General's Handbook.  You can always choose General Order allegiance if you wish, but if your army fulfils all the requirements of a Free Peoples army I would go with that allegiance as the abilities are so much better.

Apologies in advance if you already know this.

8 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

There are Free Peoples Allegiance abilities, command traits and artefacts on page 106 of the General's Handbook.  You can always choose General Order allegiance if you wish, but if your army fulfils all the requirements of a Free Peoples army I would go with that allegiance as the abilities are so much better.

Apologies in advance if you already know this.

Yeh thanks :) I just came to quiz you all as my opponents ironjawz seemed way over powered. 

He stomped my humans and khorne taking only 5 wounds on his cabbage. 

7 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Yeh thanks :) I just came to quiz you all as my opponents ironjawz seemed way over powered. 

He stomped my humans and khorne taking only 5 wounds on his cabbage. 

Try to make it a habit of always asking for the source of your opponent's bonuses, in general :) It makes it a -lot- easier to verify afterwards, and will make you more knowledgeable about little tiny details that are often overlooked, which is very worthwhile. It also helps your opponent realise their own mistakes if they turn out to remember things incorrectly, so win win.

Regardless, as has been mentioned, there's no way for the Ironjawz player to ever get his Cabbage to a 2+ save while ignoring rend (as that particular benefit says "Ignore modifiers", not rend specifically, so positive modifiers would not apply either) - and especially not in conjunction with a ward save on top of that. 

Unless he somehow managed the feat through one of the many realm spells (I vaguely recall there being a "Ignore modifiers to save rolls" spell if fighting in Shyish)  and would combine that with the ward save artifact, or the other way around, with a ward save spell (I assume a realm spell like that exists), and using the Ethereal Amulet artifact from Shyish to achieve the "Ignore modifiers to save" effect. - but even then he would not be able to get a +1 to his save (And to be honest, I'm struggling with coming up with any feasible way that he'd get that +1 to save even if he didn't have a "ignore modifiers" effect active, so.. doubly dubious)

Did you battle in one of the realms, out of curiosity? If you didn't, then the only thing about his cabbage that wasn't horribly incorrect was the part where it ignored rend :P  And even then it is also supposed to ignore positive modifiers as well.

..Unless he had the Ironclad command trait, which lowers incoming rend by 1, and you figured that meant he ignored rend entirely. Did you hit him with anything heavier than rend 1? If this is the case (that he had Ironclad), then he would be able to equip himself with an artifact on top of that which would accomplish the ward save (I'm sure there's a 5+ one in one of the realms ;) ). At that point the only thing that got messed up was the 2+ save (realm spell? If not, can't happen) 

A bit of a ramble, but I got carried away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Try to make it a habit of always asking for the source of your opponent's bonuses, in general :) It makes it a -lot- easier to verify afterwards, and will make you more knowledgeable about little tiny details that are often overlooked, which is very worthwhile. It also helps your opponent realise their own mistakes if they turn out to remember things incorrectly, so win win.

Regardless, as has been mentioned, there's no way for the Ironjawz player to ever get his Cabbage to a 2+ save while ignoring rend (as that particular benefit says "Ignore modifiers", not rend specifically, so positive modifiers would not apply either) - and especially not in conjunction with a ward save on top of that. 

Unless he somehow managed the feat through one of the many realm spells (I vaguely recall there being a "Ignore modifiers to save rolls" spell if fighting in Shyish)  and would combine that with the ward save artifact, or the other way around, with a ward save spell (I assume a realm spell like that exists), and using the Ethereal Amulet artifact from Shyish to achieve the "Ignore modifiers to save" effect. - but even then he would not be able to get a +1 to his save (And to be honest, I'm struggling with coming up with any feasible way that he'd get that +1 to save even if he didn't have a "ignore modifiers" effect active, so.. doubly dubious)

Did you battle in one of the realms, out of curiosity? If you didn't, then the only thing about his cabbage that wasn't horribly incorrect was the part where it ignored rend :P  And even then it is also supposed to ignore positive modifiers as well.

..Unless he had the Ironclad command trait, which lowers incoming rend by 1, and you figured that meant he ignored rend entirely. Did you hit him with anything heavier than rend 1? If this is the case (that he had Ironclad), then he would be able to equip himself with an artifact on top of that which would accomplish the ward save (I'm sure there's a 5+ one in one of the realms ;) ). At that point the only thing that got messed up was the 2+ save (realm spell? If not, can't happen) 

A bit of a ramble, but I got carried away.

Thanks for the comment I appreciate the details.

We haven't progressed enough in our mastery of AOS2 to do any particular realms. We generally have been playing death matches or very basic objective games with no special rules. 

The Ironjawz player is our rules man as the only person with enough time to really read the handbook so we do rely (perhaps too heavily) on his honesty when it comes to games. He's usually pretty good, but the cabbage situation was just too much, hence me asking questions of the community for some clarity moving forward. 

I see he is using the rend modifying amulet and ironclad which is fine (I think?). I wasn't shooting his cabbage with anything with a rend better than -1 anyway. He claims the 5+ ward save to ignore wounds came from the battle tome (Citation required). I can't see how you could possibly have a 2+ save, ignore rend and a 5+ ward save for a 16 wound model for only 440pts. It's virtually un-killable unless you ignore the rest of the army (terrible idea because those brutes are amazing). 

18 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Thanks for the comment I appreciate the details.

We haven't progressed enough in our mastery of AOS2 to do any particular realms. We generally have been playing death matches or very basic objective games with no special rules. 

The Ironjawz player is our rules man as the only person with enough time to really read the handbook so we do rely (perhaps too heavily) on his honesty when it comes to games. He's usually pretty good, but the cabbage situation was just too much, hence me asking questions of the community for some clarity moving forward. 

I see he is using the rend modifying amulet and ironclad which is fine (I think?). I wasn't shooting his cabbage with anything with a rend better than -1 anyway. He claims the 5+ ward save to ignore wounds came from the battle tome (Citation required). I can't see how you could possibly have a 2+ save, ignore rend and a 5+ ward save for a 16 wound model for only 440pts. It's virtually un-killable unless you ignore the rest of the army (terrible idea because those brutes are amazing). 

He'd be using either the rend modifying (ignoring save modifiers) amulet (Ethereal Amulet, Shyish) - OR the Ironclad command trait (Worsen rend by 1 when doing save rolls). Doing both would do him no good ;) My bet is that he used Ironclad, since none of the command traits give him any kind of ward saves (and therefore it stands to reason that it came from an artifact) - I did a quick run through all the realm artifacts, and none of them gives a ward save of 5+ (although there was one at 4+ specifically vs mortal wounds) --- However, there is the "Daubing of Mork" Ironjawz artifact that gives him a 6+ ward save. 

As for the 2+ save (which he can't have) - I think he might have mistakenly thought that his cabbage is able to receive cover? (By standing wholly on a terrain piece) That would explain that missconception at least. To be clear; The Mawcrusha/Cabbage can not receive any bonuses from being in cover, nor from "Look out sir" due to being a behemot/monster :) Hope that helps. I doubt he's being intentionally misleading, and might simply be a case of not knowing his own rules well enough. Happens to everyone.

Edit;
Going further down the mistaken cover bonus rabbit hole; If he somehow believes that the bonus it gives to saves would also affect ward saves, then that would likewise explain how he'd believe himself to have a 5+ ward save instead of a 6+ ward save :D

Edited by Mayple

10 minutes ago, Mayple said:

He'd be using either the rend modifying (ignoring save modifiers) amulet (Ethereal Amulet, Shyish) - OR the Ironclad command trait (Worsen rend by 1 when doing save rolls). Doing both would do him no good ;) My bet is that he used Ironclad, since none of the command traits give him any kind of ward saves (and therefore it stands to reason that it came from an artifact) - I did a quick run through all the realm artifacts, and none of them gives a ward save of 5+ (although there was one at 4+ specifically vs mortal wounds) --- However, there is the "Daubing of Mork" Ironjawz artifact that gives him a 6+ ward save. 

As for the 2+ save (which he can't have) - I think he might have mistakenly thought that his cabbage is able to receive cover? (By standing wholly on a terrain piece) That would explain that missconception at least. To be clear; The Mawcrusha/Cabbage can not receive any bonuses from being in cover, nor from "Look out sir" due to being a behemot/monster :) Hope that helps. I doubt he's being intentionally misleading, and might simply be a case of not knowing his own rules well enough. Happens to everyone.

Edit;
Going further down the mistaken cover bonus rabbit hole; If he somehow believes that the bonus it gives to saves would also affect ward saves, then that would likewise explain how he'd believe himself to have a 5+ ward save instead of a 6+ ward save :D

Thanks again for this. Looking at this though, he either takes an Ironclad rend modifier as an artefact or daubing of Mork, not both? 

We don't generally play on terrain heavy boards so he's never in cover, I can't imagine he'd be using this to modify his saves.

I think it's more using multiple artefacts and perhaps some abilities that aren't actually meant to stack.

I appreciate you taking the time to spell this all out for me, helps for the next game. 

Just now, Saxon said:

Thanks again for this. Looking at this though, he either takes an Ironclad rend modifier as an artefact or daubing of Mork, not both? 

We don't generally play on terrain heavy boards so he's never in cover, I can't imagine he'd be using this to modify his saves.

I think it's more using multiple artefacts and perhaps some abilities that aren't actually meant to stack.

I appreciate you taking the time to spell this all out for me, helps for the next game. 

Yes. He's either using Ironclad (A command trait) - Or Ethereal Amulet (An Artifact from Shyish) - Both of those affect modifiers to save (by ignoring either parts, or the entirety of the modified value), so using both would be pointless, as they'd essentially be doing the same thing. 

Therefore his build is probably; 
- Megaboss on Mawcrusha (General) - Ironclad (Command trait) - Daubing of Mork (Artifact: 6+ ward save for wounds and mortal wounds(i.e; all damage taken will statistically be reduced by 1/6th, so he's technically gained 2 extra wounds)

It can't possibly be multiple artifacts, or abilities that aren't meant to stack, as none exist that gives him access to a 2+ save, nor a 5+ ward save ;) So it must be him misreading something somewhere.

On that note, I looked into the artifacts and traits available to Destruction general allegiance (in case he wasn't going for the actual Ironjawz benefits) - and there's an artifact there that gives a 5+ ward save against mortal wounds. So there's also the possibility that he grabbed that, and misread the ability, thinking it instead was a 5+ ward save against both wounds and mortal wounds. However, if that's what he did, then he would have no way of reducing your rend (since the command trait that reduces it is from Ironjawz, and the other method is an Artifact, and in this case he'd already have one) - So a bit far fetched, but worth mentioning.

Anyway, you should ask him to point out the sources of those benefits next time you have the chance :) It should help clear up where he's gone wrong. Because we can at least be absolutely certain that he is doing something wrong, even if we can't pinpoint which method he's using. 

And no worries. It's a fun mental excercise to track down the error, so I don't mind at all :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Yes. He's either using Ironclad (A command trait) - Or Ethereal Amulet (An Artifact from Shyish) - Both of those affect modifiers to save (by ignoring either parts, or the entirety of the modified value), so using both would be pointless, as they'd essentially be doing the same thing. 

Therefore his build is probably; 
- Megaboss on Mawcrusha (General) - Ironclad (Command trait) - Daubing of Mork (Artifact: 6+ ward save for wounds and mortal wounds(i.e; all damage taken will statistically be reduced by 1/6th, so he's technically gained 2 extra wounds)

It can't possibly be multiple artifacts, or abilities that aren't meant to stack, as none exist that gives him access to a 2+ save, nor a 5+ ward save ;) So it must be him misreading something somewhere.

On that note, I looked into the artifacts and traits available to Destruction general allegiance (in case he wasn't going for the actual Ironjawz benefits) - and there's an artifact there that gives a 5+ ward save against mortal wounds. So there's also the possibility that he grabbed that, and misread the ability, thinking it instead was a 5+ ward save against both wounds and mortal wounds. However, if that's what he did, then he would have no way of reducing your rend (since the command trait that reduces it is from Ironjawz, and the other method is an Artifact, and in this case he'd already have one) - So a bit far fetched, but worth mentioning.

Anyway, you should ask him to point out the sources of those benefits next time you have the chance :) It should help clear up where he's gone wrong. Because we can at least be absolutely certain that he is doing something wrong, even if we can't pinpoint which method he's using. 

And no worries. It's a fun mental excercise to track down the error, so I don't mind at all :)

That build looks pretty close to what he's using. He did mention general destruction abilities so I believe the issue is there, or as you suggest a misinterpretation of rules regarding ward saves. I play freeguild as my only 2000pt army currently and I don't dish many mortal wounds. 

In our group of 6 players, i'm the only one with my rules printed on sheets. I think we all need to do it so it can be easily referenced during games.