AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

48 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Use the ggs as the Ironfist boss so it's harder to remove.

I love the idea of the 6 strong GGs that get launched into the opponent, pinning him in his deployment zone. The extra two wounds is nice, but it feels kinda awkward that once the unit dies everything loses the 'ere we go d6 move...

How do people play this bigger unit?

So I'm planning my long term purchases out and I want to make a 2000pt list for BCR that uses the battalion with Gore Gruntas since I love those models.

Given the absolutely absurd cost of Gore Gruntas im planning on getting them through the SC box (only 500 yen more with is about £3.50 at the moment) which would leave me with 20 'Ardboys and 2 Warchanters. As such, I've decided that if I take th plunge I might as well pick up some more models to get a 1000pt side army of Ironjaws.

At the moment I'm thinking something like this but I wanted to know if it would be viable;

Leaders

Megaboss - 140pts (General, Ironclad)

Warchanters - 80pts

Battleline

10 'Ardboys - 160pts

10 'Ardboys - 160pts

3 Gore Gruntas 140pts

3 Gore Gruntas 140pts

5 Brutes 180pts

1000pts exactly

What would be the best artefact to take in such a list? I don't have the options on me at the moment so I'm not sure what the Ironjaws do.

17 hours ago, Imperial said:

Yesterday i watched game ID vs FEC. After this game i think IJ REALY OVERPRICED! 140 points AKHELIAN ISHLAEN GUARD and 140 points for GG... I think our real price near:
GG 80-120
Brutes 140-160
Ardboys 100-140/360

and etc and etc. It's very sad what Destruction dont get any battletome before next year. 

I hope you're joking. I think everyone agree that heel are underpriced, but you're suggesting 15 life at 4+ for as low as 80 pts, you can't expect to be taken seriously after saying something like that...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, broche said:

I hope you're joking. I think everyone agree that heel are underpriced, but you're suggesting 15 life at 4+ for as low as 80 pts, you can't expect to be taken seriously after saying something like that...

Sorry, but no. I played vs FEC with IJ many times and i see unit what normaly killed my unit of 6 GG easy, cant kill Ishlaen guards 3 combat phase and FEC unit lost more than can do GG w/o 5-6 WAAAGH. Last time my 2x5 brutes and 2 megabosses cant kill 20 sequitors with -1 hit debuff. 640 points with WAAAGH cant kill 400 with debuff! I just dont understand it. 

I will ask ppls play with IJ with decreased price 2-3 times (120 GG, 140/380 boys, 160/580 brutes, 100 shaman) and try write about result here. 

Edited by Imperial

The eels are super strong for their points, arguably undercosted. 

Where as gruntas, are pretty fairly costed imo.

Got a narrative event at the end of the month where I'm taking a few pigs plus a couple of customer warscrolls 

(Chanter and shaman on pigs too)

Pretty psyched for it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Imperial said:

Sorry, but no. I played vs FEC with IJ many times and i see unit what normaly killed my unit of 6 GG easy, cant kill Ishlaen guards 3 combat phase and FEC unit lost more than can do GG w/o 5-6 WAAAGH. Last time my 2x5 brutes and 2 megabosses cant kill 20 sequitors with -1 hit debuff. 640 points with WAAAGH cant kill 400 with debuff! I just dont understand it. 

I will ask ppls play with IJ with decreased price 2-3 times (120 GG, 140/380 boys, 160/580 brutes, 100 shaman) and try write about result here. 

I think you are a bit biased here - your claims do not quite match up with the maths behind the comparison GGs - Ishlean Guard (IG from now on). I just did some rough calculations and it seems you observed some pretty unusual cases in your games.

I will not even take "soft" attacks (rend 0 or -1) in consideration, since it is obvious that the difference between GG´s and IG´s survivability will get smaller  for "soft" attacks compared to "hard" attacks. I consider "hard" attacks to be rend -2 or higher - so I took Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes as the attackers both units have to stand up against. The statline for those attacks is 3+/3+/-2/W3. I took the average of 2 for the wounds inflicted. In the following I will show how many attacks are needed to kill off 3 GGs and 3 IG, the latter in one case with 4+ save and in the other with 3+ save (if they charged or have cover). For everyone reading this and not knowing what Ishlean Guard does and what makes them survivable: they have 4 wounds each (in contrast to GG´s 5) and, due to an ability, do not have their save rolls modified by rend. So, what I came up with:

(1) GGs: 15 wounds <- 7,5 failed saves <- 9 successful wound rolls <- 13,5 hits <- 20,25 attacks

(2) IG with normal save: 12 wounds <- 6 failed saves <- 12 successful wound rolls  <- 18 hits <- 27 attacks

(3) IG with charge or cover: 12 wounds <- 6 failed saves <- 18 successful wound rolls  <- 27 hits <- 40,5 attacks

As you can see, the IG is not as survivable in comparison to GGs as you make them. Under optimal circumstances (them having a 3+ save) they take exactly twice as many hits as 3 GGs. You stated that IG survive more than three times as long as GGs. I do not say this did not happen in your game(s), but you have to realize that this is the absolute exception to the rule. 

You also suggested that IG do way more damage than GG. I would really like you to display this claim in a more detailed way, since I am not really buying into it.

Lastly, you "dont understand" how "640 points with WAAAGH cant kill 400 with debuff". A simple reply would be: that is not how the game works. You expect 640 points with a cost-free buff (I assume one Waagh for 1 free command point) to kill 400 points of one of the most defensive units in the game (I assume your opponent empowered their shields) with the additional investement of a -1 to hit debuff (Geminids or the SE spell maybe?) in one combat phase? What exactly is your concern about this not working? Again, maybe I misread something or you did not fully picture the scenario for us. In either of this cases I would be happy to get a more detailed description from you to further discuss the topic.

If there are any questions or objections regarding my calculations, feel free to ask/discuss.

Edited by Isotop
  • Like 2

I miss my IJs... 

Feeling good reading all these posts of boyz experiences with da best fighterz in Sigmah

Ive been playing my Sylvaneth the past several months and I miss the enjoyable smashing that IJs offer 

Looking forward to the possibility of a new tome/units (fingers crossed) for next year - after I’m done with my Syls in the coming months leading up to a tournament 

Finally have my first game in with the jawz and luckily a win to report! My opponent is a very skilled player but this was both of our first game at AOS 2.0 and his list was not optimized yet (but still a pain)

Him -

3 husgards on thundertusks

3 x2 mournfangs

Firebelly

Fungoid shaman

20 grots with netters and a fanatic

Me -

Gordrakk

Mawkrusha megaboss with reroll Wagh warlord trait and hysh sash for +2 move

Shaman with broach from hysh for reroll cp on 5+

Cogs

Gorefist with 4 units of 3 gruntas

Played in the realm of hysh on scorched earth battleplan with realm spells but no realmscape rules.

I won pretty easily by the end of the game because I got out ahead and razed his objectives early. He castled the thundertusks on an objective behind the grots who were -2 to hit with netters and a spell. Knowing I couldn't get through them easily and he could easily wipe my two cabbages with mortal wounds I instead used my gorefist move and cogs to drop my boars on his 2 exposed objectives while I held 2 of my own. On turn 2 I razed both of his. He through the mournfangs at me right away.

They got in the way and causes a headache, razed one of my exposed objectives but once I killed them I was able to keep attacking him while I stayed ahead on points. Those ideas breath attacks are so damn painful but a megaboss krusha moving 16 with cogs and getting a double move on a 4+ is so so useful. 

I started the game with 3 cp from my list being 1950, a battallion and t1. I didn't actually Regen a single cp or role a single 6 for double attack waghh but I had 2 turns of 3 bonus attacks between gordrakk and the megaboss. 

The speed of this army is out of this world. The resilience once you get where you're going is amazing and the damage you put out when properly buffed is great. 

Mortal wounds suck lol

Playing a nasty nurgle list tmrw. Let's try for 2-0

• Like 2

I finally built my Bloodtoofs for an upcoming tournament. Due to not having yet a fungoid shaman, i will go with double chanter.

My list is aqshy with, 

-Cabbage with ironclad and ignax scales

-Footboss with thermalrider cloak

-2x Warchanter

-20 ardboys

-2x5 brutes

-2x3 gore gruntas

Iron Fist and Bloodtoofs for exactly 2k

I want to ask about the third artifact choice on one of the warchanters. Is the golden toof the obvious choice; 

• Like 2

I am thinking of running this list. I see it really depends on the 4+ for the move but...the potential is 5 command points at turn 2 for a 5 waagh!

Realm: Hysh 

Leaders

Mega boss on maw-krusha 

general- prophet of the  waagh, Aetherquartz Brooch

Mega boss on maw-krusha 

golden tooth

Warchanter

Battleline

20 Ardboys

10 Ardboys

3 Grunta

3 Grunta

Battalion ironfist

Results in 1900 points so 3 command points to start.

Thoughts?

Here is a more magic centric list that I tried yesterday.    Foot of Gork, Fist of Gork, and Curse of da bad moon gave me 3 big spells and one more casting to boot.  Was a lot of fun.  Failed 2 times to cast Foot of Gork, one time with double 1's.    Then he died.  

The list felt a little light compared to stuff I have run, but the magic carried its weight.  Hysh was the realm.   Battleplan was Focal Points. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Spellmirror
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- Allies
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)
- Allies
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 4x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 6x Big Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
- 4x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
- 6x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- 1x Gore Choppas/3x Gore Hacka
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
-3x Pig Iron Choppa
Weirdfist (180)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 220 / 400
Wounds: 130

The Gore-Gruntas are not part of the Battalion.

• Like 1

Had my first game in a campaign at my college's gaming club.  My 1000 pts.  IJ vs. his 1040 pts. of Beastclaw Raiders (I got an extra command point to compensate).  I had

Megaboss

Shaman

Warchanter 

5 Brutes 

5 brutes

3 Gore Gruntas

10 Ardboyz (mixed weapons)

He had 2 units of Mournfangs (3 each I think), and two of the really BIG models (can't remember...been too long, I need to write this stuff down).  I won with four models left on the field.  Some things I learned:

• I have a LOT to learn about playing this army (and AoS in general)
  • It is a VERY fun army to play
  • Megabosses die quickly to Doom Snowballs
  • Brutes LOVE to have so many high-wound models to choose from
  • Warchanters are as amazing as everyone said
  • Ardboyz are an outstanding tarpit unit, especially with  Mystic Shield and Inspiring Presence
  • Gore Gruntas are another great tarpit unit, even when they don't get the charge

We've got a couple more 1000 pt. battles to play in the campaign but will be ramping up to 1500 pts. before long.

Thanks to all of the players who post tips and suggestions, for new players like me it is greatly appreciated!!!

velocitydog

• Like 4

So played a small local tournament (10 players) on sunday. Took the following list (did had much time to work my list as i was back from vacation
on the saturday evening and that was the model I had ready)

Allegiance: Destruction
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Pre-tournament note: Battleplan where predertemined, and realm rules where used. In order: Place of Arcane Power (Ashquy, Burning Sky), Shifting Objective (Chamon, Curse of rust),
Border War (Ghyran, Raging Quadmire).

Game 1, I played against moonclan with lots of squig and won easily.

Game 2, I played Khorne Bloodthirster combo. I wasn't aware what he was up too never played that before. Basicly he buffed a Bloodthirster of Insenate Rage and did 6 mortals to my whole army on turn 1. All my character died except Gordrakk. I killed it in retaliation, then on my turn i charged the 2nd bloodthirster with Gordrakk but left it at 1 wound. Not sure I was in the game anyway at that point, but after that i was doomed for sure and conceeded.

Game 3, Played against Legion of Sacrament (something like Arkam, Mortis engine, 2 necromencer, 2 x 40 skeleton, 20 Ghrimgast, 2 x 5 direwolf). Was the most interesting game. Guys had a draw and and win, and was playing well. Realm ability was nothing can run save flying model, which is bad for Ironjawz with 
their low move.  He took first turn and deepstrike both skeleton on middle objective. He casted Arkham's spell thru Umbral portal and of course
he rolled a 9 and did 3-5 mortal to most of my army (Hopefully no character died). Then as i was under some pressure i decided to spend Gordrakk Command on the Brutes to clear a block of Skeleton. I failed the first charge but succeded on the reroll (leaving me with no CP). Then i did my first relevant mistake. I lost a bunch of attack on the direwolf, but since they were base contact with skeleton, the Brutes could reach the skeleton, but i had some brain freeze here. The Brutes boss by himself almost killed the 5 wolves, so i had 3 or 4 brutes attacking for nothing. After battleshock he was left with only 6 skeleton. On the other side the Gruntas killed a bunch of skeleton as well. So thing where quite tense. I won the initiative roll, and decided to take the turn. This is where i choked a bit. I used a CP to retreat and charge Gruntaso n the Ghrimgast, wich was pretty useless. Gordrakk managed to reach Arkahm (via a pile in on the mortis engine). I should have knew that if i killed Arkham i would have won the game, so i should have spend my precious CP on a extra attack and spend both Warchanter on Gordrakk (he was descaled one step and had a -1 to hit). Thing was I tough Arkham was an easy target, but i had a -1 to wound roll (necromancer's artefact), and a realm spell (Flesh to Stone) that make you reroll sucessful wound roll. So I should have spend the precious CP for the extra atk on Gordrakk. That's also where the mistake from previous turn (not clearing skeleton with Brutes) did hurt as the brutes where threatening Arkham as well. So i did not manage to kill Arkham, then he healed him fully on his turn and that was it. 

Post-tournamenent conclusion: 1-2 is a bit disapointing, but I'm more to blame for the lost than my army. Also the realm spell really boost Undead army (Legion of Nagash took first and Legion of Sacrament 2nd). Finally, Ironjawz is not a forgiving army and you can't expect to win against top army if you make mistake. 

:)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Looking to build a 1k list around a maw krusha and the start collecting box. Adding in a box of brutes gives me the below:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 70

I’ll be going against the soul wars stormcast and night haunt armies (plus the extra easy to build bits). Any glaringly obvious mistakes or changes I should make? Want something fun but worried about being shot to pieces against the stormcast. 

Appreciate any help!

@Luperkalel

First thing I see is that you can fail your waagh! since you have 5 ironjawz units.  Failing the roll would be really bad news, especially since that 6 gives the 2 attacks instead of 1.   A huge Waaagh! is our way to victory.  It can be tough to fit a Maw Krusha in 1k lists. 

No spellcaster.  It's fine, especially at lower point values, but sometimes it really hurts not having one. (if not just for the unbind) (I see you don't own one, just mentioning it)

Otherwise, the list looks fine. I would like to know how the mawkrusha performs at 1k points.

I've played a few games recently with my Boyz, first was a 1000 point game vs Seraphon on Duality of Death, I took:

Megaboss - General, Ironclad, Destroyer

Warchanter

Fungoid

10x Ard Boys

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

3x GG

Screened the right objective with my GG and then plonked down my ardboys and warchanter on it, megaboss and a unit of brutes took control of the middle of the board after the megaboss wiped out a unit of saurus knights, fungoid and my other unit of brutes tried  to go toe-to-toe with a Carno dealt a few wounds but the brutes kicked the bucket. The megaboss killed the carno and took hold of the left objective as my ardboyz, warchanter and GG's ground down units on the right objectives until I won the Major Victory

Game 2 was 2000 points vs Stormcast on kill points - My list was as such: 

Megaboss on Maw Krusha - General, Ironclad, Aetherquartz Brooch

Megaboss - Destroyer

Warchanter - Golden Toof

Weirdnob Shaman

10x Ard Boys

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

3x GG

3x GG

Chronomatic Cogs

Bloodtoofs, Ironfist

Nothing much to say about this game as there was no objectives we just turned into a meat grinder, won it though so theres that :P

Game 3 was 2000 points again vs Mixed Skaven on Starstrike - My list was the same as above but I took 2 Giants instead of the battalions, but I must say I did miss them, when your brutes 15-16 inch away with the battalions you can make it into combat fairly reliably but without it you either have to prepare to take the charge and miss a round of combat or give up some board control in the hopes of getting a charge off next turn which I had to do on more than one occasion in this game. But I got one set of Gruntas in on the middle objective and took my objective from round 3 onwards which was enough to score me a major victory so im not moaning too much :P

• Like 2

So I'm once again braving the hellscape that is Blood and Glory intent on getting whopped once more. The rules in play are Terrain Warscrolls, Realm Magic, Realm Commands and Realmscape Features.

This poses some interesting questions from a list building perspective and I'm here to delve into the Great Minds (Ardest Eads) of the destruction forum. 

Initial Thoughts

• Terrain Warscrolls means that the Bloodtoofs Realmgate might actually be useful.
  • To use the Realmgate we need a Wizard or Priest (cos ****** us and our Totems rite)
  • Realm Magic means I need at least one wizard, preferably two.
  • Realm Commands and Realmscape Features. Tells me I want CP's and the Aetherquartz Broach.

So end result of this is that I have to many things I want and not enough points to get them, story of this GHB for us. So lets start with the stuff I know I want.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (320)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Total: 1660 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 7
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 120

I've taken Prophet because honestly I looked at the realm command abilities and decided I should have the Aetherquartz Broach, they combo so well and the way I use the cabbage is very defensive anyway. The rest of the list is standard as you can get, Ironfist is for the second Artefact, CP, Drops and movement.

This leaves me with 340 points and the following wish list.

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- Allies
Moonclan Shaman (80) or Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120) or Wurrgog Prophet (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (130)

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (120)

Total: 490/ 340

The downside being this is 150 points over budget at it's smallest.  I do have some initial thoughts as to where I would go with this and even if I go Bloodtoofs I'm not married to the 1 drop concept. What are peoples thoughts and opinions, I feel like I need at least 2 wizards minimum whatever.

EDIT: other option ofc is to just say ****** it and go for something like this.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Units
5 x Cave Squigs (60)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 122

Low on everything but cabbages, obv fishing for fungoid destructive bulk shenanigans.

Edited by Malakree

On 8/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, Malakree said:

So I'm checking Errata's for something else and just had a reread of the Ardfist rule.

So Inputing this into the Ardfist.

So a few thoughts.

1. This ironically removes the requirement that it be used in your Hero Phase. While this is clearly a mistake currently there is no restrictions on WHEN we use this once per game.
  2. So if our opponent makes some long range charges that put the Warchanter into combat unexpectedly we can use the ability reactively before it dies.
  3. As it says "Any units" this means that if, when we use it, all the Ardfist other than the WC is dead we get all the units back.
  4. Theoretically if you hold it back you could resurrect 1500+ points of Ardboys.
  5. With proper placement of the first unit of 30 Ardboys you could force units 2 and 3 to be much further away from the Warchanter that is obvious.
  6. 6" is really ****** close for a unit that gets +3 to charge base.
  7. This seems a bit filthy...

Opinions.

Sorry to revisit this, but it seems unclear to me at the moment, or at least very inconsistent in the revised wording (post FAQ, that is). For #3 in your post, you say that it says "Any units," which is obviously plural. However, the rest of the wording is all singular:

"The replacement unit is identical to the unit that was destroyed, and must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units. Within these restriction, it must be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible. This counts as the unit's move for the following movement phase."  

The repeated use of the singular "unit" combined with the "it" seems to indicate their intent was for only one unit, not as many units as were destroyed. Am I reading this wrong? Because I TOTALLY want to be wrong in this case as I'm thinking about using an Ardfist against my friend's SCE gavbomb list tomorrow night and I would love to use many MSU ardboys units to multiwrap a mini death star up the middle.

26 minutes ago, Nogginnocker said:

The repeated use of the singular "unit" combined with the "it" seems to indicate their intent was for only one unit, not as many units as were destroyed. Am I reading this wrong? Because I TOTALLY want to be wrong in this case as I'm thinking about using an Ardfist against my friend's SCE gavbomb list tomorrow night and I would love to use many MSU ardboys units to multiwrap a mini death star up the middle.

It's Rules as Written not Rules as Intended.

We read through the rules in order and see if it makes sense as written. If it does then we follow that rule process. So to do that for the Ardfist step by step.

Drawn to the Waaagh!: The intoxicating beat drummed out by Orruk Warchanters draws Ardboys out of the badlands. Once per battle, ff the battalion's Warchanter is still on the battlefield, in your hero phase, you can replace any units from this battalion that have been destroyed. The replacement unit is identical to the unit that was destroyed and must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units. Within these restrictions, it must be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible. This counts as the unit's move for the following movement phase.

1. The intoxicating beat drummed out by Orruk Warchanters draws Ardboys out of the badlands.
    This sentence is just fluff.
  2. Once per battle, if the battalion's Warchanter is still on the battlefield, in your hero phase, you can replace any units from this battalion that have been destroyed.
    This tells us we can replace ANY UNITS that have been destroyed if the Warchanter is still on the battlefield. So RaW it is multiple.
  3. The replacement unit is identical to the unit that was destroyed and must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units.
    This says "The replacement unit is...." so, when a unit is Replaced it must satisfy these conditions. It does NOT say that only one unit can be brought back this way.
  4. Within these restrictions, it must be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible.
    How to set it up
  5. This counts as the unit's move for the following movement phase.
    Can't be moved in the movement phase.

So RaW once per game you can use the ability. When you do so bring back any (or all as you don't have to bring back a unit if don't want to/cant) units. Each of these units individually must be exactly the same as the unit they are replacing.

It's essentially just the English language being screwy, however the first makes an explicit statement of the multiple. As the second doesn't directly contradict that and does make sense if it is applied in the multiple then we take the only explicit point which is that it affects multiple.

In addition the sentence which contains "Any Units" is in the Errata published with AoS2 while the former statement is from the Battletome released in 2016. As such it's also the more recent rules release which would infer that RaI is you can bring back multiple.

To give a comparative sentence in English.

Any student may enter the event. The student is required to follow the rules.

Here we see a multiple in the first phrase, "Any student" with a singular in the second. In this case however "The student" could be exchanged with "Any student who does enter the event"

Any student may enter the event. Any student who does enter the event is required to follow the rules.

So despite the first being "singular" it's actually interchangeable with a plural.

I realise I went a bit off topic but hopefully it makes sense. I do tend to ramble

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

OK. I can read it like that. It seems fairly convincing. I'd love a definitive ruling by GW, but I'll play it depending on the scenario. For instance, I'm playing my friend, who is also a neighbor (he literally lives across the street from me) and is a coworker as well. So, I'll probably avoid any hard core rules lawyering and just keep it simple for simplicity's sake. But if I were playing in a tournament at my LFGS, I may ask the TO ahead of time what their pre-ruling is because I think you lay out quite a convincing case here. Thanks for the clarification.  TBH, I had to read your response and the original + modified text about half a dozen times before I became comfortable with it. LOL. It's sad because I'm actually a linguist, too. :/  My initial confusion boiled down to GW's lack of the use of "any" or "each." In other words, they could have specified "for each unit replaced" etc.... But noooooo, they left it ambiguous. In the absence of further clarification, I think it should be interpreted as you presented above and rephrased as:

"
Once per battle, ff the battalion's Warchanter is still on the battlefield, in your hero phase, you can replace any units from this battalion that have been destroyed. The replaced units are identical to the units that were destroyed and must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units. Within these restrictions, they must be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible. This counts as the units' move for the following movement phase."

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Nogginnocker

4 minutes ago, Nogginnocker said:

OK. I can read it like that. It seems fairly convincing. I'd love a definitive ruling by GW, but I'll play it depending on the scenario. For instance, I'm playing my friend, who is also a neighbor (he literally lives across the street from me) and is a coworker as well. So, I'll probably avoid any hard core rules lawyering and just keep it simple for simplicity's sake. But if I were playing in a tournament at my LFGS, I may ask the TO ahead of time what their pre-ruling is because I think you lay out quite a convincing case here. Thanks for the clarification.  TBH, I had to read your response and the original + modified text about half a dozen times before I became comfortable with it. LOL. It's sad because I'm actually a linguist, too. :/  My initial confusion boiled down to GW's lack of the use of "any" or "each." In other words, they could have specified "for each unit replaced" etc.... But noooooo, they left it ambiguous. In the absence of further clarification, I think it should be interpreted as you presented above and rephrased as:

"
Once per battle, ff the battalion's Warchanter is still on the battlefield, in your hero phase, you can replace any units from this battalion that have been destroyed. The replaced units are identical to the units that were destroyed and must be set up with all models within 6" of the edge of the battlefield, and more than 6" from any enemy units. Within these restrictions, they must be deployed as close to the battalion's Warchanter as possible. This counts as the units' move for the following movement phase."

Edited for clarity.

When reading warscrolls it is important to note WHEN the warscroll was written.

The modern one's are written in the knowledge that any ambiguity is going to get rules-lawyered into the floor as people argue edge cases. For the first year or so there was no matched play/points, the game was supposed to be "narrative and non-competitive". So the rules from back then are more vague and fluffy.

The IJ battletome was released 3rd of May 2016. While I believe the first General's handbook which introduced matched play/points wasn't released until summer that year. As a result the Ironjawz battletome isn't as clear as it should be in a lot of places. 

37 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Hello.

I'm starting playing the Ironjawz and I have a doubt arming my 'Ardboys. What is the best equipment for them? The whole unit with great weapons? All with two weapons? Mixed as they come in the sprues?

I think @Malakree had a whole post explaining that. Basically 2 weapon is best when they are unbuffed (no attack bonus) up to 4+ save (and even at 3+). Big weapon start to get better once you start to stack Waaaagh. Most poeple will use some model with shield and remove them first (2-3 per 10 model).

Personnally I've mixed units and I don't really notice any impact. Also don't forget you always have banner and musician who are wild card.