AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

29 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Shane try a third rock lobber while you are at it. I think they will work very well against big chaff units as well as against heroes that are unprotected. That flat 3 damage needs only two hits to kill most footy heroes and you can also attack that hidden bloodsecrator hiding behind a rock.

I believe I'll do that, too. :) I just wish grot war machines got the bonus of being in a battery regardless of type. Oh well. 

Also a question regarding the fact that the grot war machines don't have the Gitmob keyword.. does that mean a gitmob grot shaman wouldn't be able to use sneaky stabbin' on them as the machines themselves don't have the Gitmob keyword? It's very confusing as the crew does have the keyword Gitmob and the spell says you can cast it on a Gitmob unit. I'd think the crew and the war machine are a unit? Or are they actually separate?

53 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I believe I'll do that, too. :) I just wish grot war machines got the bonus of being in a battery regardless of type. Oh well. 

Also a question regarding the fact that the grot war machines don't have the Gitmob keyword.. does that mean a gitmob grot shaman wouldn't be able to use sneaky stabbin' on them as the machines themselves don't have the Gitmob keyword? It's very confusing as the crew does have the keyword Gitmob and the spell says you can cast it on a Gitmob unit. I'd think the crew and the war machine are a unit? Or are they actually separate?

Yeah the warmachines dont get that bonus. Would be insane thou =D

Against khone or other none shooty armies or against armies without teleport those warmachine are quite good. They are too easy to kill otherwise, They are not auto include these days sadly. I suppose their warscroll will be updated so that the crew are included in the warmachine, similiar to the new stormcast warmachines warscroll. 

Edited by Skumbaagh

3 hours ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Just so happens that I have two rock lobbers on the way that I ordered a couple weeks ago. I didn't even think about spear chukkas and I just looked them up and they sound like they'd be amazing. Being a big fan of goblins and artillery, I'll stock up on 2 or 3. Hell maybe a couple doom divers for good measure.

Unfortunatly you can play so many of them and keep Ironjawz rules because of the new allies rule and because you can't take artillery in one unit if I'm correct.

So if you want to have three rock lobber, you need 12 units ! And up to 16 if you want a fourth rock lobber ?

26 minutes ago, Backbreaker said:

Unfortunatly you can play so many of them and keep Ironjawz rules because of the new allies rule and because you can't take artillery in one unit if I'm correct.

So if you want to have three rock lobber, you need 12 units ! And up to 16 if you want a fourth rock lobber ?

Damn I think you're right.

Well we usually play 2500pts and I can squeeze in a good 12 units. :) Thanks for reminding me though. I tend to field Orruk Warbosses from time to time with a fungoid. Gotta fix those lists.

Edited by ShaneHobbes

Maybe try some spearchukkas if you've got them and nuke down his bloodpriests. Battalions like that are really vulnerable to hero sniping.

Edit: can I also suggest the following filth list.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Gordrakk The Fist of Gork (580)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2500 / 2500
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 500
Wounds: 127

Just blitz him off the board.

Edited by Malakree

Capital city bloodbath this weekend. The boyz are ready, we shall see how we get on - 6 games coming up.

IMG_4145.jpg.0bbb07424fe32c79d28dc8026a6b14a7.jpg

My list

• Allegiance Ironjawz (Hysh)
  • Bork Ballsmasha on Mawkrusha (Ironclad, Mirrored Cuirass)
  • Megaboss (The Destroyer)
  • Warchanter (Aetherquartz Brooch)
  • Fungoid cave shaman
  • 5 units of 5 brutes
  • Bloodtoofs and Ironfist
  • Cogs
  • Like 8

We're starting a kind of campaign/escalation league with our first battles at 1000 pts.  Here's pretty much everything I've got.

Megaboss

Warchanter

Shaman

5x Brutes

5x Brutes

10x Ardboyz

3x Gore Gruntas

In general I was thinking of keeping the Aardboyz close to the shaman both for protection and the spell buff.  If needed they can peel off to hold an objective.  The boss, brutes and warchanter keep together as a hammer and the gruntas harass flanks, tie down units, etc.  It seems like it can be hard to keep gruntas close enough for them to benefit from the Waaagh ability depending on their role in the fight.

This will be my first real game and my tactical knowledge is pretty basic.  Let me know if there's anything you'd recommend.

I do have one other list option:

Megaboss

Warchanter

Ironskullz boyz

5x brutes

5x brutes

3x gruntas

Ironfist

I'm concerned about the lack of magic defense in this one and fewer bodies on the table.  Again, any thoughts would be great.

velocitydog

BTW, these are literally all of the models I currently own.

I think your first list is a good place to start.   You won't have a battalion, so you'll be slower and your 'drop count' will be higher, but you will have as many bodies/wounds that you can get and that will help when you Waaagh.   Using all of the models you have feels good and will allow you to learn all their strengths, etc and allow you to remember their rules.  You also won't have the 2nd artefact that the battalion would give.  At 1k points thats ok.

Ironskullz boyz won't benefit from the ironfist battalion, so I am unsure that particular list is the best way to go. 

Not having a wizard can hurt, especially if you know that other people will bring magic heavy lists/endless spells.

You may not want to keep the ardboys and shaman too far from the Waagh, that way they get the benefit and give you a better chance to succeed the roll.  

Your brutes are likely to be the stars of the show, use the others to make this so. 

Edited by Superninja
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Rock Lobster said:

Capital city bloodbath this weekend. The boyz are ready, we shall see how we get on - 6 games coming up.

My list

• Allegiance Ironjawz (Hysh)
  • Bork Ballsmasha on Mawkrusha (Ironclad, Mirrored Cuirass)
  • Megaboss (The Destroyer)
  • Warchanter (Aetherquartz Brooch)
  • Fungoid cave shaman
  • 5 units of 5 brutes
  • Bloodtoofs and Ironfist
  • Cogs

That's a really nice lean list! I've been working towards something similar myself which looks like this

• Megaboss (Krumpit) on Mawkrusha (skwash)
  • Megaboss (Can't remember this poor ladz name..)
  • Warchanter (Teebag)
  • Weirdnob Shaman (Sosij)
  • 10 Arboyz (Really want to call this the ardboy'ld eggs... but this pun is just so bad)
  • 2 x 5 Brutes (Banga & Masha)
  • 2 x 3 Gruntas (Skratchins & Beans)
  • Ironfist and Bloodtoofs
  • Cogs

(warcry, for anyone who really wants to groan: "We'll av ya fur brekfust")

But I really just wanted to pick list that is fast and has a least one of all the things :D

Still feels a bit awkward at only 1940 points, and I'd really love to bump the ardboyz up to 20 or 30 ladz, but I dunno where I'd get the points from.

Really like that you've managed to hit 2000 bang on the nose by switching the Weirdnob out for a Fungoid and then upgrading all the other units to Brutes!

Good luck with your tourney, looking forward to hearing how you do...

• Like 1

Ok round 1 finished.

played against a mortal wound star 5 units of storm fiends with 2 warp fires and 1 rattling each. Thanqual and a wizard.

playing relocation orb.

i gave him first turn and he couldn’t do much in range. Turn 1 I smashed 3 of the storm fiend units and in response he killed the mawkrusha and a unit of brutes.

turn 2 I wiped out everything left minus a couple of stormfiends with some waaaghs.

20-0 victory

46EDD043-3545-4A49-BAF1-C742CAED2052.jpeg.b644d8a9d78ce583c20fc5bb9350309c.jpegE4651ACF-A232-46FE-AE4C-ECD4C569ED64.jpeg.19bdc5cfbbef7344a883acb392dbb9c1.jpeg12D89E72-8B2C-4065-A484-A42C061795E1.jpeg.bef9c9c119c87992da1929405bc93465.jpeg39F05DC0-EB66-4DFD-ABE2-8A8A5C683FA5.jpeg.968cdcc0a349f18f9b0a0c0ad152bb6f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thanks Superninja, that was the one I was leaning towards.  I like the idea of trying everything out to see how it plays plus the shaman will come in handy.  Good point about keeping the shaman and ardboyz close. The second list was just so I could try out the batallion at 1000 pts.

Thanks again!

velocitydog

• Like 1

Man those akhelian guard are quite good looking at the warscroll.   All the attacks at 3/3 is pretty nice.  Ignore rend is insane as we know.   3 save after a charge, reroll charges, reroll battle shock...the only thing they dont have is rend.  14 inch move is nice too.  Yeah thats a tough one.  

Keep your head up and keep on bashing!

Game 4 against sylvaneth. Alarielle plus big units of dryads, branwraiths and durthu. 

He came too far forward turn 1 and I waaghed into his right flank and Center to clean up alarielle, dryads and kurnoth hunters, leaving the big unit of dryads with durthu.

sadly for me in shifting objectives he kept getting the big objective at durthus Death Star and I was spread out killing chaff. I had to choose a small win of 12-8 or gamble for a big win or loss with the few units in range to assault among the trees. (I couldn’t hit durthu except with 2” range).

i gambled and barley scraped it through, tabling him but leaving my mawkrusha on 1 wound, if the maw krusha had died he would have picked up 2 more points for that and the. Cleared the megaboss and scored 3 more points for a big 6 point swing. As it was 20-0 to the ironjawz. Stay tuned for day 2.

762130CC-47A7-4325-865D-A7824034B402.jpeg.2012bcadaed0be445d37f1f9e8039c52.jpeg7C2FC9F5-946F-4168-B657-DED74DBA4D58.jpeg.940a6ac4bf7885ccd589c11492044d97.jpegF90C1600-AF1B-4E64-8187-31EC9EEDFFF7.jpeg.305e75f8324caaabab5316dcb2e91337.jpegF8A5636D-E3C3-4D80-A20D-886D65A884AD.jpeg.4db38f0fe8366a314a8be9d1e878f81a.jpeg

• Like 5

Table 2 for the final round, not a place ironjawz should typically be and the home f horrible lists.

the scenario was total commitment, i knew I would go down since the objectives were so far apart.

he had stormcast with a ton of teleporting shooting, birds to block charges and big unit of cavalry for fighting. Everything can teleport and shoot, can also go to 6” for a charge.

i couldn’t win as if I moved he could teleport behind and take the objective and shoot or charge, and if I don’t move he shoots me and picks off the army spread across 2 objectives. 

I was expecting 20/0 loss so was looking to scrape points. 

I held the 2 objectives I could longer than I should have been able to with some clever positioning. General attempted some shenanigans which paid off at first scoring me a kill point in the backfield, but my cunning plan to score another 3 on his far objective was foiled by the birds which intercept charges with a big 10” roll. Had it paid off I would have scored another 4.

In he last turn I snuck a unit in for line breaker and held him to a 15-5 loss which I was pretty happy with.

3F1D55EB-8E02-4D69-9037-1417D2CF742E.jpeg.dae86cfd92e35994c65ac0f8337f561e.jpeg71486570-5A57-4D7D-9DE1-A33FA80B5175.jpeg.dc883a82e8c9b2be856d7cb59986c438.jpeg420FDFFE-EE75-4AA4-8E96-02E2EF387894.jpeg.a93e5e4104cbbe73a9d3a1410ac4d19c.jpeg

• Like 3

So no final rankings but based on battle points alone 7th out of 38, best destruction and in fact best non order since all top 6 were order lists! 80 our of 120 for final battle point score which I am really happy with. Best of the losses are certainly not shameful since they were against the 1st place and 2nd place player.

All in all, about as well as ironjawz can hope to do I think. Looking at the lists in the tournament, some of which are almost unwinnable, I think In a 6 game tourney 2/3 of the battle points in probably about as well as our book allows. Maybe with a super lucky run of lists and scenarios we can push top 3 and that will be the hope next year.

I might write one more update with final standing if that changes but otherwise that is it from the capital City bloodbath 2018. Not a bad run for the ironjawz and had a great time.

• Like 6

So no final rankings but based on battle points alone 7th out of 38, best destruction and in fact best non order since all top 6 were order lists! 80 our of 120 for final battle point score which I am really happy with. Best of the losses are certainly not shameful since they were against the 1st place and 2nd place player.

All in all, about as well as ironjawz can hope to do I think. Looking at the lists in the tournament, some of which are almost unwinnable, I think In a 6 game tourney 2/3 of the battle points in probably about as well as our book allows. Maybe with a super lucky run of lists and scenarios we can push top 3 and that will be the hope next year.

I might write one more update with final standing if that changes but otherwise that is it from the capital City bloodbath 2018. Not a bad run for the ironjawz and had a great time.

• Like 3

Not quite as in-depth but I played this list at the local club vs a stormcast. While not super competitive it's a reasonably strong club and he was running his Bobo list.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (180)
Bloodtoofs (120)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

Drew knife to the heart which sucks. Played for the double, got a 6 but he matched it at got prio turn 2.

Burnt all 6 cp turn 2 on waaagh! For a total of 13 extra attacks. Cabbage on his own fell 2 wounds short of killing a block of 15 sequiturs with rrAll 3+.

Then the next turn pulled 4 attacks off 1 cp. The broach+prophet is filth.

It came down to kp in the end and I took the minor but on any other battleplans I clean him hard.

• Like 1