AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Thx its amazing , really and you are not forced to do that. So If u dont need for exemple use all out defence again i can use another command ability! I love that interaction!!:)

Yes, just not from that megaboss of course, but it does allow you to look how the phase goes along and keeps your opponent guessing if you will be using a free AoA or AoD instead (this costs a CP though as it is not the same command the megaboss issued i.e. AoA). With 2 mawkrushas you can issue AoA and AoD from each, and then simply pick and choose as you go along ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

@Scurvydogexacly, its very intetenting in the game, I wanna test on tabletop a grunta list . I think hack is by far better, but I still think 2x 3 grunta are better then 1x6. Coherency is a factor unfortunately:(

I'm absolutely agree. Coherency, charge MW to 1 inch and being able to use three times the same command with 1 CP (AoA, Mighty) is enough to use small units of 3.

1 hour ago, kurtces said:

I'm absolutely agree. Coherency, charge MW to 1 inch and being able to use three times the same command with 1 CP (AoA, Mighty) is enough to use small units of 3.

A larger unit is still nice for just weight of attacks to trigger smashing and bashing, as soon as 1 dies coherency issues also goes away. If playing bloodtoofs you can also pile in or move at the end of the combat phase to restore coherency on larger units, so there are some options here which is nice.

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

A larger unit is still nice for just weight of attacks to trigger smashing and bashing, as soon as 1 dies coherency issues also goes away. If playing bloodtoofs you can also pile in or move at the end of the combat phase to restore coherency on larger units, so there are some options here which is nice.

Good point! I did not bear in mind the toofs ability, thinking on ironsunz...

Thank you.

Its true every single post imo. True  bloodtooth is good for 6 gruntas, anyway many unit of them can cover all map! I think they are more versatile!

There is anothrr problem, bloodtooth able us to make a pile in when unit fought. So if we dont lose a single grunta , and we fight with a line of 6 grunta to benefit from more damage in charge, we cant pile in back to remain in coherency... the only way to mantein coherency is kill unit we fight, so we can move grunta behind. Idk of u understood, my english is bad!:)

Edited by Tizianolol

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Its true every single post imo. True  bloodtooth is good for 6 gruntas, anyway many unit of them can cover all map! I think they are more versatile!

There is anothrr problem, bloodtooth able us to make a pile in when unit fought. So if we dont lose a single grunta , and we fight with a line of 6 grunta to benefit from more damage in charge, we cant pile in back to remain in coherency... the only way to mantein coherency is kill unit we fight, so we can move grunta behind. Idk of u understood, my english is bad!:)

You can't break coherency on a pile-in move. 

• Like 1

Better than Christmas day! The change of wording for the Megaboss ability was a more elegant solution than I anticipated. Only problem is I need to switch weapons on my 21 Gore Gruntas now (not that big of a deal, I love the way the hackas look).

I've never really had a problem getting all 6 gore gruntas within an inch while maintaining coherency, but 2" reach is a really nice plus. Getting the 2+ mortal wound on charge without losing combat phase efficacy, chefkiss* 

3 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Exacly, as i said ypu break coerency with bloodtooth movement if no enemy within 3" , so when you charge with 6 gruntas you have to kill enemy unit . So you dont have enemy within 3" !:)

Ok. I must have missed that there was any type of movement that can break coherency. 
If true, yeah!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Exacly, as i said ypu break coerency with bloodtooth movement if no enemy within 3" , so when you charge with 6 gruntas you have to kill enemy unit . So you dont have enemy within 3" !:)

You can't break coherency through any movement, every time you move a unit it has to end in coherency. Core rule 1.3.3.

5 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

I thought you had to be in coherency at the end of shock phase, so if I break it during the turn I can adjust that with bloodtooth movement  ..

You don't lose models to coherency until end of battleshock phase, but you are also not allowed to move units out of coherency intentionally at any time. Two separate rules. The only way a unit can go out of coherency is through losing models.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Thx a lot, so I dont see the reason to play 6 gruntas , where are benefit from that? I cant have 6 units in a line that give me 6 mw at 2+ in charge sadly

There's a discussion of this upthread quite a bit. You can arrange them like this:

/ | \ / | \

basically get two 25mm bases and cluster the tips of three gruntas around the edge of each of the bases, and then keep the base of the leftmost model in one cluster within 1" of the rightmost model in the other cluster and you have a line of 6 gruntas. Can be a bit awkward to move around the table depending on terrain but getting them all into combat shouldn't be too difficult most of the time unless you are hitting a very small target.

The main reason to do this is activation efficiency. If you're attacking a big monster or large enemy unit it's much better to kill it all at once rather than merely damage it and then allow it to attack back.

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

The main reason to do this is activation efficiency. If you're attacking a big monster or large enemy unit it's much better to kill it all at once rather than merely damage it and then allow it to attack back.

It can not be stated enough, especially in the current meta, that overwhelming output is key for Ironjawz to trigger smashing and bashing. MSU is good for board control, but very inefficient for command point usage, violent fury and smashing and bashing triggering.

If you buff up 6 gruntas with a warchanter and they go fight and say lose 2 models. The remaining 4 that are still buffed will still be a major threat, while a 3 man unit getting cut down to 1 is no longer a problem.

I plan to run bloodtoofs with 2 krushas and 2x6 gruntas and a unit of brutes (perfect for sending into 1 wound char units on objectives). This creates maximum efficiency and makes it much more likely to snowball the opponent army with smashing and bashing.

Just wanting to check this set up for my Megaboss is legal. Its not letting me choose the Touched by the Waaagh! trait in the app now but I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere.

Orruk Megaboss (140)

• General
  • Command Trait: Touched by the Waaagh!
  • Artefact: Arcane Tome
  • Lore of the Weird Spell – Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

18 minutes ago, Clanger said:

Just wanting to check this set up for my Megaboss is legal. Its not letting me choose the Touched by the Waaagh! trait in the app now but I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere.

Orruk Megaboss (140)

• General
  • Command Trait: Touched by the Waaagh!
  • Artefact: Arcane Tome
  • Lore of the Weird Spell – Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Yes it is legal, Touched by the Waaagh! Command Trait condition and Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork condition is Ironjawz Wizard.

Orruk Megaboss is the best Arcane Tome wielder. But you should consider Master of Magic Universal Command Trait, by the math it's better than Touched by the Waaagh! to cast Green Hand.

• Like 1