AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey. Sorry if this question has been talked to death before, I tried finding a search function but it seems to be absent.

I started collecting Ironjawz as my first army and bought the SC box, and was wondering which weapon option is considered better for the Gore-Gruntas. Aesthetically it's a toss-up for me, so I'm just going to use whichever is better. In my head I was thinking that if you run your piggies in the battalion that allows them to use Mighty Destroyers for free, the Choppas would be better and if you don't, big units like Gore-hackas and small units like Choppas. Is this accurate at all?

On 9/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, Nahkasetä said:

Hey. Sorry if this question has been talked to death before, I tried finding a search function but it seems to be absent.

I started collecting Ironjawz as my first army and bought the SC box, and was wondering which weapon option is considered better for the Gore-Gruntas. Aesthetically it's a toss-up for me, so I'm just going to use whichever is better. In my head I was thinking that if you run your piggies in the battalion that allows them to use Mighty Destroyers for free, the Choppas would be better and if you don't, big units like Gore-hackas and small units like Choppas. Is this accurate at all?

I just started Ironjawz myself, so this is pure theory, but Gore-Gruntas are on big bases.  I would go for Gore-hackas on any unit over three just to make it easier to get attacks in, while units of 3 would be better with choppas.

3 hours ago, FatherTurin said:

I just started Ironjawz myself, so this is pure theory, but Gore-Gruntas are on big bases.  I would go for Gore-hackas on any unit over three just to make it easier to get attacks in, while units of 3 would be better with choppas.

I just started the hobby myself and have only played like 3 games so I'm going on a pure theory basis myself. Is extra range really that useful for units that can't hit from multiple rows no matter what? I was under the impression that getting those extra attacks is the whole point of long range weapons. Thanks!

The general concensus is that Hackas are better for Ironjawz lists and Choppas are better for Big Waaagh lists. The difference isn't enormous, though, so you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hackas have the better range, but the real benefit is the +1 to hit and wound on the charge. You want to wipe out units in 1 round of attacks in Ironjawz because that will let you trigger Smashing and Bashing, which is one of the best abilities in our book. Hackas do more damage on the charge and are therefore more likely to kill a unit after a charge and trigger Smashing and Bashing. The extra range on the attacks is helpful, but the real strength is the charge bonus.

Choppas are better in Big Waaagh because, after turn 2, your units already will have +1 to hit and/or +1 to wound, so Hackas don't really give you the bonus. Choppas will just have more attacks at the same stats.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arkahn said:

About that, there is some question if you can play a MBoMK within the 2 required MB, since now it was clear to me, only MB on foot was allowed... 

Unless it specifically states on foot, you can take one on maw krusha.
Per the rules under battalions "If an entry is the title of a unit, any unit with that title can be used (you can ignore sub-headers under the title unless they are included in the entry for the unit)."
The on Maw Krusha section is a sub-header.

13 hours ago, Arkahn said:

About that, there is some question if you can play a MBoMK within the 2 required MB, since now it was clear to me, only MB on foot was allowed... 

Actually the problem here is that the batallion specifcally says "Megabosses". People claim the requirement is the guy on foot, but he isn't called "Megaboss" on the warscroll but instead "Orruk Megaboss".

Tbh either you can run the Mawkrusha as a "Megaboss" or the batallion simply cant be played because there is no entry called "Megaboss".

8 hours ago, Kasper said:

Actually the problem here is that the batallion specifcally says "Megabosses". People claim the requirement is the guy on foot, but he isn't called "Megaboss" on the warscroll but instead "Orruk Megaboss".

Tbh either you can run the Mawkrusha as a "Megaboss" or the batallion simply cant be played because there is no entry called "Megaboss".

That is true too. Its technically an invalid battalion

Hey.

I am going to a 24 man tournament and thought i wanted to go with a fun list that can go 3-2 if i get the right matchups. What do you guys think.?

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Get Da Realmgate
- Artefact: Quickduff Amulet
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (600)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 2x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

I will post how i did after the tournament.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 3:58 AM, mrteige said:

I am going to a 24 man tournament and thought i wanted to go with a fun list that can go 3-2 if i get the right matchups. What do you guys think.?

I think that list is easily capable of 3-2 at a 2-dayer with the right matchups, and that probably undersells it a little if anything.

Have you thought about putting in the Ardfist?

I played a 16 man tourney this past weekend. Went 2-1. My first game was a 20-0 loss to KO.

My list was Ironsunz. Weirdnob, MBMK, 2x Warchanter, 2x6 Gruntas 1 with Hackas, 1 with Choppas, 2 x 10 Ardboys, Ironfist. 5 drops.

I thought I was did well. Made a few mistakes, and went with the dice as best I could. My first game, Shifting Objectives, had the KO deploy back in a castle. He had a screen of 30 guys protecting his other stuff. He gave me first turn. I moved up to take all the objectives, Gorked a WC buffed unit of 10 Ardboys up to one side of his screen, and the GG's up the middle. Things looked pretty good. The Ardboys made their charge. The GG's did not. That was sooo bad for me. I only needed a 5, and will never learn to keep the MBMK up there for that RR needed insurance policy. I remember when this happened against a unit of 30 Witch Elves. I had intentionally held the MBMK back with the other unit of 6 GG's. Oh well, what was worse was that the 10 buffed Ardboys only killed 2 of his guys. They hit their attacks but I rolled 12 2's to wound. He made his saves, re-rolling of course. After that it was a game of move and shoot. By turn 4 I had no models left, he did not have much left either, but in the objective game it was his as he could easily pick-up and grab wherever he had to go. I will say it was the closest 20-0 loss I have had.

The other two games were against Stormcast and Sylvaneth. Both fun games that had their moments.

Some thoughts:

It is a dice game. the MBMK either killed a ridiculous amount, or didn't.

Ironsunz and the MBMK is crazy, I used 5-6 CP for counter charges in my opponents turn over the 3 games. Never failed a charge and got the big guy where he needed to be. One counter charge had him head in to a pack of 6 Kurnoth Hunters with scythes. He killed all of them. The next turn, he hit a blob of Dryads and killed none. At the end of the SC game, the MBMK had 12 attacks and just bounced around the middle killing everything.

Dead Kunin - 1-3 CP is very good.

Using Mighty Destroyers to get all 6 objectives in the first turn of Blades Edge is great. Its hard for most armies to come back from that since they will likely only get 3 on their first turn.

I like the Weirdnob, he gives the 1-3 CP. I only made one Gork the whole day, my first hero phase of my first game. I failed the cast 7 other times, even with the skullcape. These points are likely going towards a unit of Brutes...

-1 to hit on the first turn is great, but there are so many situations where you do not want to alpha anything

the hackas vs choppas debate is endless, I used both to much success, I would drop the MBMK before I drop a unit of 6 GG's

• Like 3

Played a game against FEC yesterday with my Ironsunz list of: MBoMK, MB, 2xwarchanter, 1xshaman, 10 brutes, 6 gruntas, 15 ardboyz, ironfist. Battleplan Better part of valor"

Got outdropped so was forced to go first, but with MD and a successful hand of gork I got my gruntas into some flayers, the MBoMK just barely managed to get into the arch regent who was a bit overextended, much to my oppoents grief and ardboyz got into a 6xhorror unit. 

I managed to kill the regent, gruntas killed 3 flayers and a unit of 10 ghouls due to sneaky pileins but the +1 dmg buffed 15 ardboyz whiffed HARD and only killed 2 horrors and lost 3 ardboyz in retaliation.

FEC then had the turn and got all the lost horrors back from a Varghulf (the sat on the opponents left flank objective vs the ardboyz). His Terrorgheist managed to charge my MBoMK and kill him by fighting twice and rulling those dreaded auto 6 MW two times, so it is basically impossible for a MK to live through anyway, at least I got the arch regent before any summons. The ardboyz whiffed again despite still having +1 dmg, and again only killed 2 horrors and wounded another, they again took around 3 casualties back. 

Roll of for BR2 and FEC got the double turn... oh boy. Horrors all came back again, it was looking very bad for those ardboyz, I had been sure a 15 man buffed unit could handly 6 horrors, but dice are dice. Terrorgheist continued the rampage and by screaming and fighting killed 4/6 gruntas and took 5 damage back. The 2 remaining ran from battleshock. Ardboyz somehow managed to kill 2 horrors again and only lost 1 as the king was too far away to give the horrors rerolls. All this time a 40 man ghoul unit was holding his center objective with the intention to rack up points before burning, as I had abanoned my territory to take the fight to him.

My 10 brutes did some really fun stuff at this point, using damned terrain to sacrifice d3 MW and get reroll 1s to hit, this triggered mad as hell which I got a 6 for, and also used MD on them, resulting in 14" move total! This took them right up to his 40 ghouls and making the charge with +1 dmg buff and reroll 1s, they killed all 40 ghouls, brutal! In the FEC turn the Terrorgheist charged the brutes and "only" did 12 damage, killing 4, the remaining buffed up 6 brutes quite easily took the wounded terrorgheist down though. The battle between horrors + varghulf vs ardboyz was looking grim, at that point there were 3 horrors and the varghulf with 5 remaining wounds and 3 ardboyz left.

In my turn I managed to cast hand of gork and got the megaboss 9" from the varghulf and horrors and he made the charge! He killed the Varghulf and 1 horror died and then we called it, as he only had 2 horrors left and no chance to win any longer, as I had burned for 2 points already and now held his center with my brutes, we decided those 2 horrors would not live 2 more battlerounds to score 8 points in turn 5.

In the end we both pretty much sacrificed our big pieces, taking out the arch regent with the overextended deployment also cost me my krusha and being doubled turned by the terrorgheist was terrifying. Funny how damned terrain might have won me the game by getting my brutes in charge range, that is an interesting synergy I had not even thought about prior to this. 

Was nice dusting of the boyz for a game against our new local FEC player, most others in my local group are very casual and besides bringing 0 warchanters it is hard to make an easy going ironjawz list that is any fun at all, so I was happy to make a proper list and really get a bloody game going!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright ladz! Been a while but I finally managed to play my first game in over 4 months ( tight lockdown in our neak of the woods), so it was against fyreslayers with gotrek (starstrike battleplan)

He had gotrek, a runefather on magmadroth, a few buffers with a 10 man hearthguard, a rune son and his battleline vulkites x 2

I had gordrakk, 3 pigs, 5 brutes, 15 ardboyz, a megaboss on foot, warchanter and a shaman. Took the gutstuffers mercenaries as ironjawz points are still at 1750. Also took ironfist battalion.

He went first and wanted to deep strike gordrakk with his hearthguard but I kept my army back so he couldn't get 9" behind me (knew his plan😉) so he put them into my brutes from the side then he moved everything forward and towards the middle of the battlefield to claim 1st objective. My turn was basically buff everything in my army with big waaagh and voice of gork, put violent fury on ardboyz and sent them into the middle to meet the enemy head on (hand of gork didnt go off and I wanted to attack from behind ideally).....the result after all the scrapping was 6 dead vulkites and 4 hearthguard, a magmadroth on 4 wounds, gotrek on 6 wounds and for me 4 brutes and 10 ardboyz dead and my gore gruntas where waiting and hoping the objectives landed on my right hand side of the battlefield on turn 2.

Turn 2 came and the objectives landed left side surrounded by 6 hearthguard and all his buffers (gutted), his magmadroth sniped my warchanter and he had an endless spell that shot lava over my remaining brute killing that unit and freeing them to charge my ogor mercenaries. Gotrek killed all remaining ardboyz and another unit of vulkites took on my gore gruntas and stayed with them for the rest of the battle. My turn saw me fail hand of gork again (wanted gordrakk to deep strike the rune son guarding his objective) and basically just jump straight to combat phase.....megaboss killed magmadroth but got 4 MW spilled on him, ogors got battered by hearthguard who fought twice, vulkites and gore gruntas spat at each other and it was looking like everything rested on who got to go first in turn 3......fyreslayers got it again and it went downhill for me then.

Gotrek charged gordrakk (who had been bottleneked all game with his huge base and killed him outright in his first round of combat ☹, ogors actually did well this round and took out 4 hearthguard but then got reduced to 1 maneater, pigs and vulkites traded blows and we where both left with 1 model each and then megaboss on foot did a measly 1 damage to gotrek.....who returned the favour by killing him at the end of the combat phase. No way for me to recover.....fyreslayers took the victory. 

So it looks like I need advice on how to use gordrakk better and maybe change my warclan to bloodtoofs so I get the hand of gork guarantee, maybe change the shaman spell to a more damage based one? The gutstuffers will go I understand that it's better to have more ironjawz to benefit from allegiance abilities etc. There was a bit of use from the mighty destroyers ability but I never quite killed a unit to make use of smashing and bashing.....and I think I should of spread out more and avoided gotrek....lesson learned for the next battle we have after new lockdown.....see you in another 4 months 😄

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, Gutlord said:

Finished my first brute......absolutely love these models now! I had only done ard boyz up until I started this beast. Might have to do some lists with lots of brutes.

How is the brute fist battalion, incidentally? Anyone tried any lists?

20200929_193052.jpg

Ok that looks great! I love it, I like it a lot more than the standard Yellow color scheme.

You have made me want to get into Ironjawz! Especially a lot of Brutes.

I have been messing around with the Warscroll builder. I have come up with these 1000 point armies, using a SC box + 2 Warcry box OR 3 Warcry boxes + a Megaboss 
I have no idea if they are any good though!

Ironjawz 1000points with an SC + 2 Warcry boxes
Orruk Warchanter (110)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260) (Ironfist Big Boss)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
Ironfist (160)
TOTAL: 990/1000

or

1000pts using 3x Warcry Warband boxes + a Mega Boss
Orruk Megaboss (140) - (OR Orruk Weirdnob/Madcap/Fungoid Cave Shaman???)
15 x Orruk Brutes (390) (Ironfist Big Boss)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
Ironfist (160)

Both lists could also drop 5 Ardboys to throw in a Madcap/Fungoid Shaman if its worth it?

btw, the reason i mentioned the Madcap/Fungoid Shaman as Allies is because I already own them for my Gitz army so I figured it might be handy here.

EDIT: 1 more using the Brute Fist Battlaion and some allied Squigs

Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200) - Allies
Brute Fist (120)
TOTAL: 970

Edited by Orchid89
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Orchid89 said:

Ok that looks great! I love it, I like it a lot more than the standard Yellow color scheme.

You have made me want to get into Ironjawz! Especially a lot of Brutes.

I have been messing around with the Warscroll builder. I have come up with these 1000 point armies, using a SC box + 2 Warcry box OR 3 Warcry boxes + a Megaboss 
I have no idea if they are any good though!

Ironjawz 1000points with an SC + 2 Warcry boxes
Orruk Warchanter (110)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260) (Ironfist Big Boss)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
Ironfist (160)

or

1000pts using 3x Warcry Warband boxes + a Mega Boss
Orruk Megaboss (140) - (OR Orruk Weirdnob/Madcap/Fungoid Cave Shaman???)
15 x Orruk Brutes (390) (Ironfist Big Boss)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
Ironfist (160)

Both lists could also drop 5 Ardboys to throw in a Madcap/Fungoid Shaman if its worth it?

btw, the reason i mentioned the Madcap/Fungoid Shaman as Allies is because I already own them for my Gitz army so I figured it might be handy here.

EDIT: 1 more using the Brute Fist Battlaion and some allied Squigs

Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200) - Allies
Brute Fist (120)
TOTAL: 970

Alright dude, thanks for the compliments, it took me a while to get the colour scheme but in the end I settled for the bloodtoofs (I wasnt feelin the yellow ironsunz either mate). With regards to your lists I'd say they are all awesome...my favourite is the first list, those warchanters are point for point some of the best units in the game with thier violent fury ability plus warbeats. Option.....you could drop the ironfist battalion and take a megaboss, take the bloodtoofs clan, then use the hand of gork artifact to deep strike a buffed up unit of ardboyz or brutes into an enemy unit you want rid of.....works great for me in 2k battles.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 1:56 PM, Gutlord said:

Finished my first brute......absolutely love these models now! I had only done ard boyz up until I started this beast. Might have to do some lists with lots of brutes.

How is the brute fist battalion, incidentally? Anyone tried any lists?

20200929_193052.jpg

MSU brutes in a brute fist, with ironsunz clan, and a shaman with wrath of gork could have some gas.

MSU brutes will pump up wrath of gork, and you can bait with a unit of brutes then use the ironsunz CA to counter charge.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

MSU brutes in a brute fist, with ironsunz clan, and a shaman with wrath of gork could have some gas.

MSU brutes will pump up wrath of gork, and you can bait with a unit of brutes then use the ironsunz CA to counter charge.

Cheers for the advice mate, i havnt tried using wrath of gork with my shaman yet.....and i must admit that brutes are my favourite ironjawz models so might have to give that a go