AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

49 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Yep that's totally a fair point. I personally don't fight vs armies with stuff that can specifcally remove a single model very often - In fact I can't remember the last time I did. OBR usually wont shoot against my 10 man Ardboyz. But if you experience it, you can totally go with 2 banners. 

There are a few other reasons I do it but they are much more complicated to explain.

Realistically though I would go banner, banner, icon, icon, banner, icon. For increasing unit sizes. It means at 10 I go double banner and at 15 I go double banner single icon.

1 hour ago, VonSmall said:

If you used the extra move to run with MIghty Destroyers you wouldn't be able to charge later on in the turn though right?

As the base rules state: "Models in a unit that runs can't shoot or charge later in the same turn."

No you couldn't charge, you could however still run in your movement phase.

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

Yep that's totally a fair point. I personally don't fight vs armies with stuff that can specifcally remove a single model very often - In fact I can't remember the last time I did. OBR usually wont shoot against my 10 man Ardboyz. But if you experience it, you can totally go with 2 banners. 

In regards to our talk about Mighty Destroyers, I found the FAQ confirming that you can run in the hero phase. MD says "... That unit must make a normal move.." hence you can use it on a unit of Ardboyz or whatever in the hero phase and declare that you run,  and you can obviously run again in the following movement phase. Makes us a lot better at grabbing objectives. Running in the hero phase will obviously prevent you from charging though. 

image.png.d0df16a70051d146bc790238ea991c3f.png

The bit that intrigues me is the second paragraph.  Does this mean if "Mad as Hell" is triggered on a unit of GoreGruntas that is just outside 9" from an enemy unit, they can move to within 3" of them without having to charge? 

Sorry, just realised it's a D6 move, so they couldn't anyway - me being dumb, please ignore.

Edited by Aelfric

1 minute ago, Aelfric said:

The bit that intrigues me is the second paragraph.  Does this mean if "Mad as Hell" is triggered on a unit of GoreGruntas that is just outside 9" from an enemy unit, they can move to within 3" of them without having to charge? 

It's ****** awkward to explain but the short version is no, the reason is you can't actually go far enough not that you're not allowed. I'll go into a more detailed explanation below.

Terminology
Within α" means under OR EXACTLY so a unit which can be placed "Within 6" of a board edge" can be placed EXACTLY 6" from a board edge. 

• This also means that if an objective is 12" away from a board edge then there is a single point on the board that is Exactly 6" of the board edge AND exactly 6" from the objective. So a model can be placed so that the very edge of it's base is on that point and it is within 6" of both the board edge and objective.

Conversely the term more than α" is equivalent to not within α" DOES NOT include EXACTLY α"

Hence

1. In order to use Mad as Hell you must be more than 9" from an enemy unit.
  2. Hence you are (9+β)" where β > 0
  3. You trigger Mad as Hell and move 6"
  4. (9+β)" - 6" = (9-6)"+β" = 3"+β"
  5. Since β > 0 ==> (3+β)" > 3"
  6. Thus you are more than 3" from an enemy unit
  7. Hence you are not within 3" of an enemy unit.
  8. You are not in combat.
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

what about an army including 1-2 Mawcrushas and a horde of Ardboyz? Is it viable? Would you recommend it?

How strong is the "green" magic, ie the Orruks wizards?

I’ve been using an Ironsunz Ardfist list with a Mawcrusha, Megaboss on foot, Warchanter, 2xFungoids and 50 Ardboys for a few months and it’s a really fun list!

It works great against some lists, not so good against others, but always gives me and my opponents a good game. The Mawcrusha is a real threat and can either be held back and screened by all the Ardboys, or charged first turn!

The Ardboys really hang around and with 5 units of ten, and I’ve plenty of opportunities to grab objectives. And the battalion rule is a fun, tense dice roll through the game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

I’ve been using an Ironsunz Ardfist list with a Mawcrusha, Megaboss on foot, Warchanter, 2xFungoids and 50 Ardboys for a few months and it’s a really fun list!

It works great against some lists, not so good against others, but always gives me and my opponents a good game. The Mawcrusha is a real threat and can either be held back and screened by all the Ardboys, or charged first turn!

The Ardboys really hang around and with 5 units of ten, and I’ve plenty of opportunities to grab objectives. And the battalion rule is a fun, tense dice roll through the game!

Thanks for the answer. Yesterday I niticed that there is something about the Rogue Idol, at least it´s included in many lists. And because I like that model more than a Mawcrusha I´m right now thinking about an army with some Rogue Idol and plenty of Ardboyz. Might this work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Dumb question: A Megaboss equipped with a Rip-Toof and the Armor of Gork does 2 MW on a natural save of 6 (Technically a mortal wound and then a mortal wound)? Or do they not stack? And is that totally useless to include? I thought a MK doing a bunch of 'thorns' damage would be awesome. 

3 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Thanks for the answer. Yesterday I niticed that there is something about the Rogue Idol, at least it´s included in many lists. And because I like that model more than a Mawcrusha I´m right now thinking about an army with some Rogue Idol and plenty of Ardboyz. Might this work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Big waaagh! Mixed rogue idol lists are really solid. It's a great warscroll at a solid points cost which can be buffed by IJ and BS buffs. Honestly it's just solid.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, Koujow said:

Dumb question: A Megaboss equipped with a Rip-Toof and the Armor of Gork does 2 MW on a natural save of 6 (Technically a mortal wound and then a mortal wound)? Or do they not stack? And is that totally useless to include? I thought a MK doing a bunch of 'thorns' damage would be awesome. 

That's a good question actually. I had the same thought a while ago. I hope someone answers. I would tend to think that they both stack, just like save after save abilities stack as well.

38 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

That's a good question actually. I had the same thought a while ago. I hope someone answers. I would tend to think that they both stack, just like save after save abilities stack as well.

Generally everything stacks, unless it specifically says it doesnt, like on a command ability. So yeah it would bounce back 2 MW.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:54 PM, Kasper said:

@MilesBergs Welcome back my man. :) 

Tbh it is kinda hard to guide you, as it heavily depends on what you want to do, as you have a decent core - I'm just confused as to why you only have 1 Warchanter? :D It looks like you bought 2 SC.

Ironjawz actually have quite a few different lists, that depend on how you want to play the game. Some people really like Brutes, even though they are generally considered worse than Ardboyz - Tbh they are not THAT bad, they just offer something different. Brutes deal a little more damage, but lack the bravery, body count and charge bonus that Ardboyz get.

Like you can go for 2x Maw Krusha + 4x3 Pigs.

You can go for 1 Maw Krusha + 6 Pigs + 2 Warchanters + 1 Weirdnob and then Ardboyz for the remaining points. Maybe even skip out on the Weirdnob for more Ardboyz.

Some people skip out on pigs and the Maw Krusha and just fields loads of Ardboyz.

Generally Orruks seem to run with 2 big threats, or loads of bodies to simply grind your opponent down.

Thanks! 

I actually bought the OG army box that had the giant in it. It came with everything by 'Ardboyz really. I played Orcs & Goblins during the WFB days and had a leftover boys from that which I built out to fit AoS. 

This is all good info thanks ! 

On 3/11/2020 at 12:34 PM, Hannibal said:

Thanks in advance.

In my humble opinion the Rogue Idol works very well in a Big Waaagh list. 

With the Wardokk's Ritual Dance (3+ add 1 to save) and Kunnin' Beast Spirit magic (add 1 to save) he can save at 2+/6+. Then you can buff him with the Warchanter to make him a very powerful  killing machine. 

Ardboyz as well, in the Big Waaagh find their natural habitat. They are useful to increase Waaagh Points and they are a very solid batteline saving at 4+/6+/6+, then hitting and wounding at 2/2 with rend 1! Buffed with a Warchanter make them one of the strongest unit in the game.

So of course, you idea of Rogue Idol + lots of  Ardboyz is a very good idea to win matches and to be hated by your friends 😛

4 hours ago, Drillz said:

With mighty destroyer of you charge with it do you get to attack or just get the movement/ effects for charging? 
because if you don’t get to attack when you charge it seems a to be the weakest of the 3 modes of the ability 

You only get to charge. 

It is actually the strongest effect if used correctly. The MD charge - retreat - pile-in trick has been explained a number of times a couple of Pages back.

I wonder if we should make a stickied FAQ at this point.

Well I've been running a list that is:

1 Megaboss on MK with Mean 'Un and Metalrippa's Klaw and Get Da Realm Gate

1 Megaboss on Foot with Quickduff Amulet

1 Warchanter with Killa Betaz

1 Warchanter with Fixin' Beatz

6 Gore-Gruntas with a Big Boss and Jagged Gore-Hackas

5 Brutes

5 Brutes

20 Ardboyz

Ironfist Battaltion 

+1 CP extra

This list has been alright, and I really, really like the Metalripper's Klaw, as it makes my MBMK absolutely deadly and my pigs can pretty much guarantee deleting a unit a game. However it was recommended to me to drop the footboss, grab a fungoid cave shaman, put quickduff on my MBMK and put aetherquartz on a Warchanter and get a CP on a +4 in the hero phase from the fungoid cave shaman and get 1 CP back per spent on a 5+ with the brooch. In addition going to 2 sets of 15 Ardboyz and dropping a unit of brutes for a total of 30 Ardboyz.

I'll test this out, but I really think I am going to miss Metalrippa's Klaw. OTOH I might get addicted to the CP generation... I'll need to test this new list as much as I tested the old list (about 7 games) to get a feel for it. 

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Does the Gorefist list work anymore? You know like around 12 Gore-Gruntas, Gordrakk and a Megaboss on Maw-krusha with the Gorefist battalion and any warchanters you might be able to fit? 

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 103

This is basically the list you just said right?