Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Recommended Posts

How do you guys transport your dudes? I've been using a storage/plast box with a magnetic sheet glued to the bottom of it, but I feel I waste a lot of space. I've been wanting to invest in some magna rack or similar with sliders, but I'm a bit worried a Maw Krusha wont fit in between the layers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I’ve got a pretty big tournament coming up soon and was just wanting to get some feedback on my list and options really

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning  
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw  
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

Ive been running a similar list with 10 brutes and 15/10/10 ardboyz and 6 GGs while I finish painting up my SC box. I find it to works well, using my port on the brutes to either take advantage of someone’s back line or a larger hero they don’t feel the need to protect(dragons etc)  I feel like it’s that or throw 5 more boyz and 3 more pigs in for the list above. 
 

im questioning to either run aetherquartz and hope for the 5s or visions and a 4+ in my hero.? 
 

Using big waaagh I haven’t felt I’ve needed to use a ton of CP with 2 free Mighty’s the +1 to hit from boss almost becomes pointless once the waaagh points start rolling in. So first CP gets used for waaagh points and the rest are typically banked for re-rolls/battle shock immunity.  As for waaagh points best I’ve gotten to was 17after using the waaagh command ability. With 50 models around the general it was D6(got a 6) + 6 from chanters + 5 from CA.  Then succeeded all my ardboyz charges and after combat was 23. Pretty good start. 
 

so big questions:

Do you prefer Aetherquartz or Visions?

10 brutes(280pts) vs 5Ardz, 3 pigs, and a CP(300pts) list would be 1980(brutes) vs 2000(ardboys)?

I’ve got MK lists too, higher model count or big baddy on the board?

any advice would be welcomed and I thank you all for being such an awesome community and wealth of knowledge in AoS. I feel like I would have been so lost 8 months ago without all the collective knowledge!

and for funsies I made a Rogue Idol last week and wanted to share/can’t wait til I can play him in some games! Enjoy! I’ve got some process pictures on imgur and am glad to help anyone interested in building their own as well  it was so much fun!

F325E5C0-362E-45A3-9E39-D7CC000D5993.jpeg.011d5398b09bf95777199e84a4207380.jpeg0287F594-E9FF-45E0-A90E-375E9BD06F63.jpeg.098c1966ea7086fe31cbbad0884a55d5.jpeg

Edited by Tezia99
Spoiler tag duuh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tezia99 personally I'd be putting an ardfist in that list. As big waaagh! Command Points really aren't that important and you have 3 big units to bring back.

If you drop 3 ggs and swap to the ardfist you can add in another 10 ardboys. It doesn't change your drop count, puts even more boyz on the board and leaves you with 20 points for a triumph.

The threat of the ardfist is unreasonable in that scenario and you will easily have the bodies to zone, claim objectives and still be aggressive.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 161
 

I'd take GGV in this list because you have enough cps as it is and it becomes a "known" quantity, you don't need the chance for 6+ free cps since you just don't have an engine to fuel.

With that in mind if actually take the skullcape on the shaman. A flat +1 to cast is really big, it makes HoG a "cv6" which makes it way more reliable not to mention that time your shaman acidentily kills a wizard and gets a bonkers spell off them 😂 Don't underestimate his combat stats either with the big WAAAGH! Buffs. 3 attacks at 3+/2+/-1/d3 is a strong combat statline for a support hero and even better than some cheap low cost combat heroes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freaking formatting. I can’t get the quote and comment  stuff figured out. Ideally, and in the future, I’ll most likely be running an ardfist but right now I’ve only got a max 40 ardboyz. That’s where I end up with extra points really and the options of a block of 10 brutes for hero/high wound hunting or a second unit of GGs and 2 15s of boyz

Edited by Tezia99
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 6:16 AM, Kasper said:

How do you guys transport your dudes? I've been using a storage/plast box with a magnetic sheet glued to the bottom of it, but I feel I waste a lot of space. I've been wanting to invest in some magna rack or similar with sliders, but I'm a bit worried a Maw Krusha wont fit in between the layers. 

I'm odd and I use a large cookie tin that I got from my grandparents' house 😂

It fits a 2k army and magnets actually have a very strong pull on it, so I can easily stick models on the bottom, sides, and top. It's a tight fit, but most of my models are unpainted right now, so I'm not worried about them getting scratched up. Once they are fully painted, though, I'm likely going to upgrade to a larger plastic container where I'll glue a metal plate to the bottom for magnets. I think that's a little more convenient than foam containers, but it's completely up to your needs and preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We might of got some Big Waagh rules slightly wrong but here is a battle report vs Beasts,

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finished up a tournament today and figured I’d put together a little battle report for fun. Hope you enjoy as much as I did. I ended up placing 3rd with a 2-1. The game I lost was by 1 point on objectives. The list is not really optimized at all. Many of the players were going to LVO and this was their last “practice tournament “ before then so I went a little trolly and fun not expecting to do as well as I did. 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Brutish Cunning  
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Great Green Visions  

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

Grab a drink and some popcorn and enjoy the “report” 

Round one: Focal points vs Skaven

I was able to get some really good round one action out of the Idol and the Krusha but I was at the bottom hoping for the double and lost all my priority rolls. This was the best game of the day even if it ended in a loss. We kept trading objectives but I was behind from turn 1 and 2 scoring only 2 points in each of those turns.  By turn 4 I had rallied back and controlled all 5 objectives and put the game to a 15-12 game in my favor. I was able to bring back the 15 unit I lost and a 10 unit failed which is what I really needed. I managed to get the 15 unit in a nice spot on the board at the bottom of 3 when I lost them and on turn 4 successfully pulled off a 3d6 19” charge and strung them out across the board so that they held 2 objectives. Lost the priority going into 5 and my skaven opponent saw what I did and did something similar with his stormvermin and was able to take them back resulting in a 1 point loss. 
 
These next ones will go quickly though:

Round 2 vs Ironjawz: Duality of Death2018(hero and behemoth hold)

There were so many feelings tied up in this game. My opponent had only been playing for a few months. I’m now a year + in and saw a little reflection of early me playing before I went down this rabbit hole of orruk obsession.   I gave him the first turn and he over committed on the objectives. Porting a unit of 15 boyz onto the left with a megaboss behind them to get the points and his maw krusha on the right all alone. Scoring 2 points and no combat to be had other units were moved up maximum or ran so really central board. I really got to see the difference between big waaagh and Ironjawz here. Scoring 6 points on the D6 4 from the chanter and another 4 from the command ability had me sitting on 14 points out of the hero phase, MD on the krusha + move put me at a 6” charge. 
 My 15 unit moved to match his, rogue got comfortable with an 8” charge, the other 10 had an easy charge and then the big dawg warchanter pulled off the 3d6 charge again getting a 15” charge putting one model onto the MK and the rest just outside of 3 of the piggies. The pile in would prevent them from charging next round in case I didn’t get the double. Our realmscape was if within 12” had to charge or suffer MW and successful charges with 3 charges + hero that’s another 8 waaagh points by start of  combat and 22 points  full bonus here we go!

COMBAT

The moment we all hate when we make that over committed move. MK charge did 5 MW putting his at 10. Good rolls/bad rolls depending on what side you were on and he was removing his MK :( 

His return wasn’t as grand. 3/3s and between shields and warpaint saves my non buffed boyz removed more than his 2dmg ones. The next surprise was the idols 3” range attacks. His megaboss was positioned so I got buffed rogue attacks into the boss. Got him down to 1 wound left. The other 10 attacks into the ardboyz did some major damage as well. After all was said and done i won the double turn and my opponent realized there was no real way to move forward. Only 2 chapters and a shaman could get those objectives and they would have to kill both my MK and rogue. 
 

GAME 3 vs Nighthaunt: blood and glory 

this was another really poor mistake from my opponent. Gave him first turn and he went for a huge move with some carriage thing and 10 horsie guys. Dropped some grimghast outside of 9 and moved his main hero squad up and forgot i could port I guess? 
My opponent failed all charges but his carriage thing. Which he promptly pushed into a 10 unit of ardboyz. He killed one I did 6 wounds back with a hard pile in. On my side of the turn I made the port with the 15 and the charge. Buffed up doing 2 dmg but not getting any plus to hit/wound because of bad waaagh rolls. It didn’t matter though. I got all of them wrapped around his 3 heroes, took lady o and a horsie hero out and then won the double as well. With this one being similar to game 2, he realized that while he still had plenty to do, losing the key parts of his army pretty much sealed his fate. He conceded after I won the double. 
 

I recently built my own Rogue Idol (recommend it for sure) and just wanted to play with him. I just intended to build a list to ****** around with today and didn’t think it would perform as well as it did. My biggest concerns were waaagh point accumulation. The list felt like it really needed to be played aggressively but the generation is to dependent on the CA and then getting the charges for the charge/combat points as well. The rogue exceeded my expectations 20 fold. I thought kind of like a MK that he’d just be a big target but with a 4+5++6+++ he is extremely resilient and also a great hammer.

i felt like the 3 units of ardboyz were pretty good. I had pretty okay board control over all.  Knowing I had a chance to bring them back was a definite bonus. All in all I had some really good rolls, dice were definitely in my favor, fun times were had and this was the first major tournament(14 players) where I placed top 3! Really hoping to continue this trend as the tournament season out here begins and as always WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 5:15 AM, TALegion said:

I'm odd and I use a large cookie tin that I got from my grandparents' house 😂

It fits a 2k army and magnets actually have a very strong pull on it, so I can easily stick models on the bottom, sides, and top. It's a tight fit, but most of my models are unpainted right now, so I'm not worried about them getting scratched up. Once they are fully painted, though, I'm likely going to upgrade to a larger plastic container where I'll glue a metal plate to the bottom for magnets. I think that's a little more convenient than foam containers, but it's completely up to your needs and preference.

It must be some huge cookie box to fit all the units. 😁

I went ahead and bought this from IKEA at around 25 USD - Significantly less than those from Magna Rack etc.

It is made of metal and it got sliders with cork on - I decided to peel the cork off (gave me more stuff for my bases!) and the dudes fit right on.

If you remove the bottom 2 sliders, a Maw Krusha can easily fit in there together with other characters/Gore Gruntas and then Ardboyz can fit in the two top rooms. 

I'm considering drilling two holes in the top and fit some kind of handle. 

image.png.1b8256aa2b0c1b8512508d46ead4982c.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I was going to use Brain Burster haha. It just seems fun. 
 

I’m just coming back to the game. It feels like Mortal Wounds are important to the game, Mobility and hitting hard are important to the game. 
 

I was looking at Ironfist or Brutefist (mobility or mortal wounds), Bloodtoofs for Mobility (bonuses to charge and run, 1 free HoG, can move after a kill). Gore Gruntas and MawKrusha can deal mortal wounds. Everyone kind of hits hard. 
 

Warchanters can buff mobility (3D6 charge) and hitting hard (damage buff) and heal which is nice. 

Any input? 
 

It seems like Rip-Tooth Claw is the one to take for chance of mortal wounds, and then spells and abilities that push out damage like Mean ‘Un, Brain Bursta or the spell that adds +1 to wound rolls, the Warchanter, maybe Fast ‘Un, and command trait or artefacts that add mobility, damage or mortal wounds? 
 

I’m not sure. I’ve been out of the game for some months and I don’t even know who is playing what are my local games workshop. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy moly! Just saw someone post this sculpted Maw Krusha on some facebook sell page. Too bad I already have 2 - I really don't feel like buying a third.

Would be an absolutely amazing center piece of a model. Transporting it might be a hell though.

image.png.3d082250dee556525ae44c7f0bfe9a08.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, Kasper said:

It must be some huge cookie box to fit all the units. 😁

I went ahead and bought this from IKEA at around 25 USD - Significantly less than those from Magna Rack etc.

It is made of metal and it got sliders with cork on - I decided to peel the cork off (gave me more stuff for my bases!) and the dudes fit right on.

If you remove the bottom 2 sliders, a Maw Krusha can easily fit in there together with other characters/Gore Gruntas and then Ardboyz can fit in the two top rooms. 

I'm considering drilling two holes in the top and fit some kind of handle. 

image.png.1b8256aa2b0c1b8512508d46ead4982c.png

This is the kind of bag it fits in:

ID_16943_orig.jpg.b44432d2b6403878a34c92a111901ae4.jpg

This particular one is from Germany, but I guess there will be similar bags (it is for overlock sewing machines) available where you live. The measurements are 33cm height, 35,5cm lenght, 26,5cm depth (external dimensions).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IsotopThat's actually not a bad idea! Whats the name  of it? I'd like to compare the price with stuff around here. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kasper said:

@IsotopThat's actually not a bad idea! Whats the name  of it? I'd like to compare the price with stuff around here. ;) 

I found it here: 

https://www.w6-wertarbeit.de/zubehoer/transportkoffer-trolleys/w6-naehmaschinen-transporttasche-overlock?utm_campaign=&utm_content=&utm_source=billiger&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=

Just make sure that the dimensions are not smaller than the ones I provided. The Ikea box fits really tightly into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Isotop said:

I found it here: 

https://www.w6-wertarbeit.de/zubehoer/transportkoffer-trolleys/w6-naehmaschinen-transporttasche-overlock?utm_campaign=&utm_content=&utm_source=billiger&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=

Just make sure that the dimensions are not smaller than the ones I provided. The Ikea box fits really tightly into it.

Is it annoying though? I'd imagine its better than too much room for it to move around. 18 EUR seems like a nice price compared to the stuff I've found so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Is it annoying though? I'd imagine its better than too much room for it to move around. 18 EUR seems like a nice price compared to the stuff I've found so far. 

It fits pretty much perfectly, but it is hard to insert the box into the bag (I did need help from a second person) since it opens to just one side. Any smaller and it might not fit in at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i posted this question on the forums but now ill try here, i want to build a ironjawz army but dont want to waste my money like i didon a starter set for SCE. if you guys all could do it again, what would you tell me to purchase? ive seen the starter set has a good value alot of people say purchase 2? add a mega boss? maybe add a shaman? im totally new to ironjawz so im just looking for input to not waste any more money lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigpaul0909 said:

So i posted this question on the forums but now ill try here, i want to build a ironjawz army but dont want to waste my money like i didon a starter set for SCE. if you guys all could do it again, what would you tell me to purchase? ive seen the starter set has a good value alot of people say purchase 2? add a mega boss? maybe add a shaman? im totally new to ironjawz so im just looking for input to not waste any more money lol.

Ironjawz or Big Waaagh?

Right now for Ironjawz.

  • Warchanters are key, at least 2 and you can easily justify number 3/4.
  • Goregruntas are terrifying in 6s. They are alright as 3s but having a 6 as the Ironfist boss is a core strategy atm.
  • Ardboys are your infantry of choice, tons of wounds, lots of defences and good damage output.
  • Maw-Krusha is a solid general choice. You can run 2 but it's not amazing, you can also run none for more esoteric lists.
  • Footboss is mediocre, main time I've seen him is in Big Waaagh! as a cheap way to get brutish cunning.
  • Weirdnob is pretty bad as a warscroll, he's primarily there for Hand of Gork.
  • Brutes are terrible, they only function as the cheapest battleline options.

If you go big waaagh then the Wurrgog prophet is your wizard of choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so it sounds like i should buy 2 sc boxes of ironjawz, would give me 6 goregruntas, 2 warchanters and ardboys, i thought brutes were good so thats good to know, so mega boss on foot is a no go? what exactly is big waaagh?

4 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Ironjawz or Big Waaagh?

Right now for Ironjawz.

  • Warchanters are key, at least 2 and you can easily justify number 3/4.
  • Goregruntas are terrifying in 6s. They are alright as 3s but having a 6 as the Ironfist boss is a core strategy atm.
  • Ardboys are your infantry of choice, tons of wounds, lots of defences and good damage output.
  • Maw-Krusha is a solid general choice. You can run 2 but it's not amazing, you can also run none for more esoteric lists.
  • Footboss is mediocre, main time I've seen him is in Big Waaagh! as a cheap way to get brutish cunning.
  • Weirdnob is pretty bad as a warscroll, he's primarily there for Hand of Gork.
  • Brutes are terrible, they only function as the cheapest battleline options.

If you go big waaagh then the Wurrgog prophet is your wizard of choice.

 

Edited by bigpaul0909

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Waaagh is actually a third army option in the Orruk Warclans book (the first being pure Ironjawz and the second being pure Bonesplitterz). Big Waaagh can contain any mix of Bonesplitterz and IJ units and its allegiance abilities are a mix of IJ's and Bonesplitterz's abilities. Instead of just getting the abilities outright, though, Big Waaagh armies stack Waaagh Points over the course of the game that accumulate and give you stacking buffs depending on how many you have. You can get Waaagh Points each turn by either bringing specific units (warchanters, wurrgog prophets, and wardokks) or by performing certain orky actions (e.g. being in combat with a hero).

As for playstyle, in general, Ironjawz is often a little more aggressive and Big Waaagh is a little more defensive. This is because Big Waaagh armies typically want to wait until their buffs start stacking before they start fighting. Ironjawz are good at attacking early and quickly getting into the action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TALegion said:

Big Waaagh is actually a third army option in the Orruk Warclans book (the first being pure Ironjawz and the second being pure Bonesplitterz). Big Waaagh can contain any mix of Bonesplitterz and IJ units and its allegiance abilities are a mix of IJ's and Bonesplitterz's abilities. Instead of just getting the abilities outright, though, Big Waaagh armies stack Waaagh Points over the course of the game that accumulate and give you stacking buffs depending on how many you have. You can get Waaagh Points each turn by either bringing specific units (warchanters, wurrgog prophets, and wardokks) or by performing certain orky actions (e.g. being in combat with a hero).

As for playstyle, in general, Ironjawz is often a little more aggressive and Big Waaagh is a little more defensive. This is because Big Waaagh armies typically want to wait until their buffs start stacking before they start fighting. Ironjawz are good at attacking early and quickly getting into the action.

thank you for explaining that so easily for me, Im defintly looking for a melee heavy army that plays agressive, win big or lose big as long as its fun, coming into aos i thought SCE for some reason played like this and alot of wasted time(and money) found out i was wrong, so it looks like im going to pick up 2-3 sc boxes and a megaboss on foot for $$ sake, possibly pick up a shaman, and stay away from brutes for now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Ironjawz or Big Waaagh?

Right now for Ironjawz.

  • Warchanters are key, at least 2 and you can easily justify number 3/4.
  • Goregruntas are terrifying in 6s. They are alright as 3s but having a 6 as the Ironfist boss is a core strategy atm.
  • Ardboys are your infantry of choice, tons of wounds, lots of defences and good damage output.
  • Maw-Krusha is a solid general choice. You can run 2 but it's not amazing, you can also run none for more esoteric lists.
  • Footboss is mediocre, main time I've seen him is in Big Waaagh! as a cheap way to get brutish cunning.
  • Weirdnob is pretty bad as a warscroll, he's primarily there for Hand of Gork.
  • Brutes are terrible, they only function as the cheapest battleline options.

If you go big waaagh then the Wurrgog prophet is your wizard of choice.

What happened to Brutes to have them fall from grace so hard? I notice they no longer re-roll 1’s within a certain range of a Footboss which is a shame because I really enjoyed that interaction. 
 

It would appear their role is monster killers but are they so poor at it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bigpaul0909 said:

thank you for explaining that so easily for me, Im defintly looking for a melee heavy army that plays agressive, win big or lose big as long as its fun, coming into aos i thought SCE for some reason played like this and alot of wasted time(and money) found out i was wrong, so it looks like im going to pick up 2-3 sc boxes and a megaboss on foot for $$ sake, possibly pick up a shaman, and stay away from brutes for now?

Brutes are debatable. The long-story-short for them is that is that the closest comparable unit is ardboyz, and ardboyz have a couple useful perks that makes them more versatile than brutes (e.g. higher leadership, a couple 6+++ saves, +2 to charge). Brutes do the most damage per-point out of the three battleline units, so they're a good mid-game hammer, but many lists choose to run ardboyz over brutes. Imo, the choice between Brutes and Ardboyz down to personal preference and how you want to use them.

In your case, you probably want to go with ardboyz. Since you're trying to save money, ardboyz are preferable because you can get 15 ardboyz (270 points) or 5 brutes (140 points) for roughly the same $ price. Also, if you want to play aggressive, you're probably going to want gore-gruntas and ardboyz, since they're the fastest units, and that means you'll probably want more SC! boxes.

Just for reference, if you did want to get 2 SC! boxes, a footboss, and a shaman, you have 1370 points if you include 50 for a CP and the Ironfist battalion, which is highly recommended. Here's a quick example of what it would/could look like:
 

Quote

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- Artefact: Quickduff Amulet
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
Ironfist (160)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1370 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95


I made it bloodtoofs decent their artefact works well with a footboss and their clan ability helps with being aggressive. I just threw this list together in a second, but it basically buffs and deepstrikes your units all over the board. Your units gets +2 to charge (+4 for ardboyz), so charging out of deepstrike is pretty consistent and very deadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TALegion said:

Brutes are debatable. The long-story-short for them is that is that the closest comparable unit is ardboyz, and ardboyz have a couple useful perks that makes them more versatile than brutes (e.g. higher leadership, a couple 6+++ saves, +2 to charge). Brutes do the most damage per-point out of the three battleline units, so they're a good mid-game hammer, but many lists choose to run ardboyz over brutes. Imo, the choice between Brutes and Ardboyz down to personal preference and how you want to use them.

In your case, you probably want to go with ardboyz. Since you're trying to save money, ardboyz are preferable because you can get 15 ardboyz (270 points) or 5 brutes (140 points) for roughly the same $ price. Also, if you want to play aggressive, you're probably going to want gore-gruntas and ardboyz, since they're the fastest units, and that means you'll probably want more SC! boxes.

Just for reference, if you did want to get 2 SC! boxes, a footboss, and a shaman, you have 1370 points if you include 50 for a CP and the Ironfist battalion, which is highly recommended. Here's a quick example of what it would/could look like:
 


I made it bloodtoofs decent their artefact works well with a footboss and their clan ability helps with being aggressive. I just threw this list together in a second, but it basically buffs and deepstrikes your units all over the board. Your units gets +2 to charge (+4 for ardboyz), so charging out of deepstrike is pretty consistent and very deadly.

this is super helpful, thank you so much, i just wanted some guidance before wasting my money again lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

What happened to Brutes to have them fall from grace so hard? I notice they no longer re-roll 1’s within a certain range of a Footboss which is a shame because I really enjoyed that interaction. 
 

It would appear their role is monster killers but are they so poor at it?

I think I'm in the minority, but I like brutes. I just think you have to use them differently than ardboyz. You shouldn't take brutes to replacement your ardboyz, you should take them to accomplish different goals. Against things with with less than 4 wounds, brutes do a lot of damage. I can't remember the math, but I believe it's less than charging GGs and more than ardboyz. Against things with 4 or more wounds, though, they do far and away the most damage.

Having a unit of 10 has helped me vs. Ogor lists (brutes slaughter ogors) and multi-bloodthirster lists, so they're at least situationally valuable. Plus, they look cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bigpaul0909 said:

this is super helpful, thank you so much, i just wanted some guidance before wasting my money again lol.

I'd skip the Footboss and go straight for a cabbage, it's a solid centre piece that just does what it's supposed to and has a ton of utility. The footboss is actually a niche support piece that's quite hard to use effectively and is counter intuitive to his warscroll. I have a footboss, he's a great model but he sits on the shelf doing nothing and has done for 2 years.

1 hour ago, TALegion said:

Brutes are debatable. The long-story-short for them is that is that the closest comparable unit is ardboyz, and ardboyz have a couple useful perks that makes them more versatile than brutes (e.g. higher leadership, a couple 6+++ saves, +2 to charge). Brutes do the most damage per-point out of the three battleline units, so they're a good mid-game hammer, but many lists choose to run ardboyz over brutes. Imo, the choice between Brutes and Ardboyz down to personal preference and how you want to use them.

The problem with Brutes is that they have more damage than Ardboys but are weaker in every other regard, this wouldn't be to much of an issue on it's own but the warchanter giving a unit +1 damage on all their attacks takes that "more damage" and makes it such an insignificant amount. 

Ignoring the £ cost the direct comparision is 15 Ardboys (270 points) vs 10 Brutes (280 points)

  • Brutes have larger bases and less models.
  • Same number of wounds.
  • 10 points more expensive.
  • No 6++ shield save.
  • Don't get the +1 bravery from 10 or more for the first few casualties.
  • No +1 Bravery banner or -1 Bravery banner.
  • No +2 to charge Drummer.
  • Brutes with +1 damage do 21 (+/-6) damage on average vs a 4+ save.
  • Ardboys with +1 damage do 19 (+/-5.2) damage on average vs a 4+ save.

So Brutes slightly outdo Ardboys is on damage (by about 2), except we already have Goregruntas who are absolutely amazing damage dealers and way out do brutes in that regard. GG's with +1 damage on the charge do 25.5(+/-6) and have impact mortal wounds, oh and they are way less likely to battleshock.

Essentially there are only a few things you need to buy.

  1. A Mawkrusha
  2. As many SC as you want until you have as many GG's as you want.
  3. Boxes of Ardboys when you've got all the GG's you want.
  4. Probably a Weirdnob
  5. A Wurrgog Prophet if you plan on playing Big Waaagh!

Everything around that is a luxury. 

If I was forced to give a "this is everything you need" list it would be: A Mawkrusha, 4 SC, a box of Ardboys, a weirdnob and a wurrgog.

That gives you 12 GG's and 55 Ardboys which is basically every and any variation you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...