AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

@Seihoff pictures as promised.

Tried to get a variety of angles. I used a LOT of stirland battlemire over both bases over both the cork, base and most importantly around/in the cracks and joins of the cork. Makes it look more like rugged cliffs, rocks and ledges.

The extra decorations are just from the shattered dominion large base kit. I did the smaller one (with snow) first as a test/experiment with the cork. Honestly with the 8mm magnets I used it's by far the more stable base, the other will occasionally drop off if I move it to violently.

One of the big advantages is that I can just remove the cabbage and get a proper measurement from the base itself.

The second one is a "work in progress" essentially I got it up to the point it wasn't odd as I intend to do some way more adventurous stuff I haven't gotten round to get.

Base of the wings showing magnets on the bottom and inside the right wing. As I said the ones inside are a real ****** to do. The 2nd picture also shows the "foot imprint" I talked about, you obv can't see them but there's a pair of 6mm magnets inside the cabbage there for the mb feet to stick to.

20190820_111120.jpg.daa769e01a838450e9c5da6549487125.jpg

20190820_111244.jpg.79c885049551a90f06f89423df5cb662.jpg

Bottom of the megaboss/cabbage feet, hopefully showing the magnets.20190820_111233.jpg.47c85220e21c066cb8ff98835413421f.jpg

Megaboss and his banner. I used either 2mm or 3mm magnets for this. I would say it's the most important bit to magnetize. It gets knocked all the time and would be broken as hell if I hadn't. 20190820_111205.jpg.11322131ac2dca6744d47779b2042eb8.jpg20190820_111132.jpg.e9d05474cc8e17d2ed242c6429299876.jpg

Showing the whole thing put together.20190820_111318.jpg.34aa1fd5c653aa215c3a86a4dceabe9a.jpg

My bases, showing both the holes for the magnets to sit in under the top layer and the built up cork layers. It also shows how I've really pushed both the stirland babattlemire and vallhalan blizzard into the edges to hide the joins and make it look more like a natural cliff edge.

20190820_111334.jpg.6aff362833329fe6a4af74b62fe2dcb8.jpg20190820_111347.jpg.9cb5d93ea4dad93460b1facf1bb6a6be.jpg

Holding it up at an angle to show it does all hold together.

20190820_111421.jpg.2e2e694c66bf2e453048ba7d70d7e99d.jpg

Packed into a gw carry case. The other body is in with my realm gate, while the bases are between the two layers. So that my whole 2k list goes in one of the crusader (? One with 4 foam insert things) case.

20190820_113502.jpg.786a0c69d4f40a1ef272dd3f81ffd567.jpg20190820_113554.jpg.216e790c2a124bed9ec03ae2f553f26a.jpg

Hope this is useful.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

44 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

Magnetizing your transportation - I find - is easier than transporting in foam, but of course foam is much more accident/violence -proof.

There are still bits which I would always magnetize no matter what. The banner being the big one.

@Malakree

Hey so I've been playing AOS for just a little while. IJ is my favorite but I'm struggling in my community. IDK, LoN, BoK. The release of the book will be amazing but in the meantime I was wondering if you could help me a little with my army comp. Here is what I have

1 MB on MK

1 Footboss

1 Weirdnob

1 Warchanter

1 Troggoth Hag (she tends to really pull some weight)

Ardboyz - 10

Brutes - 10

GG - 6

3 hours ago, Chase said:

@Malakree

Hey so I've been playing AOS for just a little while. IJ is my favorite but I'm struggling in my community. IDK, LoN, BoK. The release of the book will be amazing but in the meantime I was wondering if you could help me a little with my army comp. Here is what I have

1 MB on MK

1 Footboss

1 Weirdnob

1 Warchanter

1 Troggoth Hag (she tends to really pull some weight)

Ardboyz - 10

Brutes - 10

GG - 6

How many points do you usually play?

1 hour ago, Chase said:

Historically 2000. There have been several meeting engagements since ghb 19'

IJ suck at meeting engagements in my opinion, we're a combo army and just die to other armies which are able to be more independent and faster than we are. 

As to 2k, I mean you're really limited as to what you can run.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Sash of the Ten Paradises 
- Spell: Bash 'Em Ladz
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Ironsunz (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 380 / 400
Wounds: 122

Probably that? If you've got the realmgate you could also run Bloodtoofs.

Use the Hag and Ardboys to screen while you setup for the bomb. Try to minimise CP expenditure. Cast Bash 'Em Ladz, drop the bomb and try to clean them off.

• Thanks 1

Just got ack from a local 1k tourney with the IJ and was pretty pleased with how I did. I went 2-1, and considering it's been over a year since Iplayed the big green boys, I feel good about my showing. 

Quick recap of my list:

Footboss w/live to fight

Warchanter w/brooch

Fungoid

Brutes x5 

Brutes x5

Pigs x3

Pigs x3

Since it was only 1k and we were playing on 4x4 boards, all mission deployment were slightly modified.

Round 1 against death playing duality of death. From memory, he had the following: 

Arkhan

Vampire Lord

Wolves x5

Wolves x5

Skeletons x30

Knights x5

He finished dropping first and gave me first turn. I deployed one unit of pigs on my right and everything else on the left. Plan was to grab both objectives turn 1 then sit on the left one with my army to win on points. He put one unit of wolves to my left with the unit of knights and everything else on my right.

I move up turn 1, grab both objectives, score my points and hunker down. He gets his wolves in on my left but his knights fail a charge. I kill the wolves and his turn ends with him not scoring.

Turn 2 I win priority and take it. I keep the right pigs on the objective to score again, but string them out to potentially help with the Waggh! next turn. I move the left side of my army up to kill the knights with 5 brutes and position the rest centrally preparing for next turn. I score again at the end of my turn.

He resummons the unit of wolves I killed turn 1, moves his entire army up and gets in on the pigs. He had like 60 attacks froma handful of skeletons and barely killed my pigs, claiming the objective. He scores a point and the turn is over.

Turn 3 I win priority and give it to him knowing he has to push to me or else he'll fall too far behind on points. His skeletons were also positioned in a way they blockeda lot of his movement, so he tries his best but doesn't do much as a result. He failed a couple charges and is ina pretty bad position. 

I go and call for the Waggh! With only 4 units in range, it was risky, but between the brooch and fungoid giving extra CPs, I was able tp stack +5 attacks on everyone. A unit of 5 brutes and the megaboss were able to clear out all 30 skeletons, one unit of wolves (which the brute boss crushed by himself) and the unit of knights. I score again and the turn ends. 

Turn 4 I get priority, take it and clean up both heroes to seal the deal, as he only had his 5 wolves on the right objective. Victory for the IJ

Round 2 was against chaos dwarves, mission was battle for the pass.

His list:

Demonsmith

Chaos sorcerer lord

Fireglaves x10

Fireglaves x10

Fireborn x12

He finshes dropping first and gives me first turn. 

Turn 1 I jump my pigs up again to claim the two central objectives  by just barelygetting into range of them, claim my home obective and move the rest up cautiously, making sure to stay out of range of the fireborn. 

He moves up aggressively with his fireborn, claims his home objective and can't quite reach the right hand objective. He only has like 5 fireglaives in range to shoot and does no wounds. His fireborn fail their charge, but he was able to take the point from me and his turn ends.

Turn 2 he wins the roll and he positions to prepare for a massive brawl with his fireborn. He slams into theleft unit of pigs, slaughtering them with sheer weight of attacks. He scores again and gets his stunty leggedriflemen close enough to body the right objective away from the pigs.

I go and call for the Waggh! knowing I have to decimate the fireborn. Both units of brutes charge in along with the megaboss. I end up with +7 attacks (brooch refunds were crazy this game) and when all is said and done, I kill only 6 fireborn and he kills 7 brutes (I kept one CP for inspiring presence, thankfully). 3 more fireborn run from battleshock and I take the objective back. My right pigs rolled horribly (even with bonus attacks) and only killed 7 fireglaves. I score some and the turn ends.

Turn 3 he wins the roll and his turn is largely ineffective. His fireborn do a few wounds, and the remaining pigs finish off his unit tp take the objective. 

My turn 3 I use the warchanter buff on the last couple brutes and then mighty destroyer the last two fireborn. I move up, charge his remaining unit and heroes and mop up the rest of the game. Another IJ victory and sitting at 2-0

Round 3 was against slaanesh, mission was starstrike. I immediately know I have basically ZERO chance to win and I was rigjt. I'll spare the details, but by turn 2 he had summoned a keeper and all I had left was a warchanter, half dead megaboss and two brutes. It was PAINFUL

Overall, I had fun and was glad I played as well as I did. I'm still trying to learn to properly position my army, but the brooch and fungoid are soooooo good I'll never play without them again. Plus, slaanesh is just a super hard counter and when your opponent can basically double their army by turn 3, it's a damn hard uphill battle

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

I'm getting a little excited for Nova. They said more info in regards to "The Tithe" will be exposed there. I'm hoping they will have more info for us too.

It seems to be about the new Death army not our battletome sadly...

I have to run a 2k list around what I have currently and am just wondering some opinions or suggestions on load outs. I’m currently running Ironsunz builds as I don’t have a realmgate yet,but I’m sure my FLG has one I can use, just haven’t really checked the terrain shelf. 

All my stuff is listed min unit, so I have 2 units of ardboys, 3 brutes, 1 GG, chanter, shaman, MB, and MBMK. Then a fungoid shaman ally. 

So my questions really being the following:

should I run a 10 block of brutes or a 20 of ards to get the GGs into the ironfist?

list for everything is 20 over, would it be wiser to not bring the fungoid and bring MB? Or drop MB, bring the shaman and a balewind/gravetide or palisade? Either build I can buy an additional CP as well. 

And then any suggestions for the third artefact? I’ll be taking aetherquartz on the shaman, ripper on the MB, and I like golden toof on my chanter but wondering if something else out performs in Hysh, where I can keep him close behind with the action. 

Learning a lot from these forums as someone who has only been playing IJ for about 2 months now! Thank you everyone for the knowledge. 

@Tezia99

8 minutes ago, Tezia99 said:

should I run a 10 block of brutes or a 20 of ards to get the GGs into the ironfist?

list for everything is 20 over, would it be wiser to not bring the fungoid and bring MB? Or drop MB, bring the shaman and a balewind/gravetide or palisade? Either build I can buy an additional CP as well. 

Could run something like this.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Ironsunz (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

Personally I favour the brutes in 5s due to the bosses incredible waaagh! scaling ( @Sangfroidtech still going strong years later!)

As a personal choice I despise the MB on foot. He's slow, soft, has no reach and his massive base makes him so unwieldy its unreal. Dropping the fungoid for a straight up CP+20 to triumph gives you most of the benefits, keeps the 1drop, gives you a potentially massive triumph bonus and actually fits in the list.

This also lets you try out all the different options for your unit sizes, both for a feel and to find your preference.

18 minutes ago, Tezia99 said:

I don’t have a realmgate yet,but I’m sure my FLG has one I can use, just haven’t really checked the terrain shelf. 

Bloodtoofs only requires one be on the board. Other than that it does nothing. If you can just get a gentleman's agreement to have bloodtoofs function "as if" there was a realmgate on the board then that's an easy option.

20 minutes ago, Tezia99 said:

And then any suggestions for the third artefact? I’ll be taking aetherquartz on the shaman, ripper on the MB, and I like golden toof on my chanter but wondering if something else out performs in Hysh, where I can keep him close behind with the action. 

Learning a lot from these forums as someone who has only been playing IJ for about 2 months now! Thank you everyone for the knowledge. 

Aetherquartz on the warchanter, he's more tanky and lower priority than the weirdnob. Force the enemy to choose rather than just making a mid prio target into an amazing one.

Honestly outside of aetherquartz the rest is optional. You've probably seen my bloodtoofs+Big G list where I just forfeit the 2 extra artefacts. That's how unimportant they are.

• Like 2

I have been enjoying the Hulking Muscle-bound Brute trait lately, it really makes a mawkrusha an even greater wrecking ball at removing models in the charge phase. Last game I managed to put 3+6 mortal wounds (yes very lucky roll) on a keeper of secrets on the charge, this crippled him enough to only dish out 5 wounds before I could retaliate. I felt this was my only chance as the keeper can just force me to strike last in the combat phase on a 2+ and also strike twice.

This is rather gimmicky though, and I hope to see a lot of changes in the new book, but the power creep is real and the current meta for combat armies is brutal, with strike first and strike again abilities at the top. Mighty destroyers is often plain worse, as striking in the hero phase does not really come to play before a 2nd round of combat, although I did get some use out of it, clearing out some obstacles to allow me to actually charge the otherwise screened keeper of secrets. 

Now I am in a bit of a limbo with my Ironjawz, impatiently waiting for the new book, which there has been a strange silence regarding after the reveal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superninja said:

Agreed....no news after a reveal of a cover...while other things keep getting revealed.  Seems this is always the way we are treated.  I was hoping for more after the gitz.  oh well, still have fingers crossed.

Listened to warhammer weekly. They mentioned at the Q and A that they weren't taking many questions on cities or orruks, since they are dropping imminently. So take that as you may~

Also confirmed the mawtribe book, and that it should be coming before the boney boyz.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Listened to warhammer weekly. They mentioned at the Q and A that they weren't taking many questions on cities or orruks, since they are dropping imminently. So take that as you may~

Also confirmed the mawtribe book, and that it should be coming before the boney boyz.

Dude, legend!

Hey all,

I am thinking about converting „Thunderwol Cavalry“ into a Unit of Gore gruntas, don‘t get me wrong, Love the original models, but the idea of Orruk riding these dynamic wolf statues is just too intriguing.

My question to maybe some 40k Players here, what‘s the base size of these wolves? Or maybe there is someone here, that had already an familiar thought....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Keilerei said:

Hey all,

I am thinking about converting „Thunderwol Cavalry“ into a Unit of Gore gruntas, don‘t get me wrong, Love the original models, but the idea of Orruk riding these dynamic wolf statues is just too intriguing.

My question to maybe some 40k Players here, what‘s the base size of these wolves? Or maybe there is someone here, that had already an familiar thought....

It'll work. 😉 

This not mine, found on the internets, but I did toy with the idea myself. 

Screenshot_20190903-164048_Google.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 11:42 PM, Vasshpit said:

It'll work. 😉 

This not mine, found on the internets, but I did toy with the idea myself. 

Screenshot_20190903-164048_Google.jpg

Just seen the army of a french youtuber and the conversions are amazing at minute 5:00 the owner just did the conversion I had in mind. Posted it because the army is bonkers.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Keilerei

Very cool! I knew it would look great. Those thunderwolves are just so dynamic when compared to the gruntas. 

While I also do like the grunta beast design its the mouth and back spikes that totally kills it for me. It just makes it look goofy and unbelievable in my eyes. I have 9 that need building and was planning to redo the mouths, remove spikes, and try to make the poses more dynamic but after seeing the idea done in real time I may decide to go ahead with it after all. 

That's still plenty of work to be done removing the 40k tech parts in and of itself. 

Time to make the decision.... 🤔

• Like 1