AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/29/2020 at 10:40 PM, Jabbuk said:

Megaboss on foot is OK for smaller games or redundancy. He's nothing stellar though. Generally you want 2 Warchanters, Ardboys and Brutes to your liking yeah. And get a MK 

I am also figuring out a 1k list to start with. How does this one look? 

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 66

27 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

I am also figuring out a 1k list to start with. How does this one look? 

Leaders
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 990 / 1000
Wounds: 66

It depends on your playstyle but I think you're lacking bodies. I mean any cheap chaff of 10 bodies will outnumber you and score objectives. Plus you have very limited mobility. Brutes are slow as hell and you don't have a weirdnob. 

Personally, I like to play in the higher wounds numbers for my army. For 1k games, I would go for Megaboss on foot, 1-2 Warchanter, weirdnob or fungoid, and a lot of bodies. I like Ardboys a lot. If you want a nuke, bring 6GGs. I would try to play with that. Hope it helps.

53 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

It depends on your playstyle but I think you're lacking bodies. I mean any cheap chaff of 10 bodies will outnumber you and score objectives. Plus you have very limited mobility. Brutes are slow as hell and you don't have a weirdnob. 

Personally, I like to play in the higher wounds numbers for my army. For 1k games, I would go for Megaboss on foot, 1-2 Warchanter, weirdnob or fungoid, and a lot of bodies. I like Ardboys a lot. If you want a nuke, bring 6GGs. I would try to play with that. Hope it helps.

Yeah, I also felt like it lacked bodies. I on another hand dont like the ardboyz very much, but love the Brutes. The appearance will say. So I would like to include atleast 1 unit of brutes. So is this list better? More wounds and bodies. 

Or would it be better to remove the brutes or 1 unit of the Gore Gruntas for some magic with the Wierdnob? I am new to this hobby if you havent already guessed ;)

Big thanks for the tips! 

- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 88

Edited by brattenbergus

45 minutes ago, brattenbergus said:

Yeah, I also felt like it lacked bodies. I on another hand dont like the ardboyz very much, but love the Brutes. The appearance will say. So I would like to include atleast 1 unit of brutes. So is this list better? More wounds and bodies. 

Or would it be better to remove the brutes or 1 unit of the Gore Gruntas for some magic with the Wierdnob? I am new to this hobby if you havent already guessed ;)

Big thanks for the tips! 

- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Wounds: 88

Yeah man, I think it's much better. Now, depending on your scenario, you might want to split your units differently, (3x5 Ardboys or a 10 and a 5) for more versatility. But you have a good hammer (GGs) you have a durable anvil w/Ardboys that could be buffed to become a hammer too and some Brutes too. You could also play with splitting your GGs in 2x3 to become screens/anvils, while your 15 Ardboys are the hammer. 

Overall, I think the base is good, at least it would be for me :) I know Ardboys have lost popularity as of late because of their point increase, groups of 15 particularly, but I haven't had the chance to test it out. I know that a group of 15 in a 1k game is pretty tough, though. Good luck :)

3 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Yeah man, I think it's much better. Now, depending on your scenario, you might want to split your units differently, (3x5 Ardboys or a 10 and a 5) for more versatility. But you have a good hammer (GGs) you have a durable anvil w/Ardboys that could be buffed to become a hammer too and some Brutes too. You could also play with splitting your GGs in 2x3 to become screens/anvils, while your 15 Ardboys are the hammer. 

Overall, I think the base is good, at least it would be for me :) I know Ardboys have lost popularity as of late because of their point increase, groups of 15 particularly, but I haven't had the chance to test it out. I know that a group of 15 in a 1k game is pretty tough, though. Good luck :)

Yeah, That sounds like a good idea! So I can spread them out more. Thanks alot for your help! :)

Oh, another thought I had! How bad would it be to replace the Megaboss for a Wierdnob? So I can add some magic but keep the bodycount. Or is he just too important for the punch? 

2 hours ago, brattenbergus said:

Yeah, That sounds like a good idea! So I can spread them out more. Thanks alot for your help! :)

Oh, another thought I had! How bad would it be to replace the Megaboss for a Wierdnob? So I can add some magic but keep the bodycount. Or is he just too important for the punch? 

Weirdnob is also a popular option for general sometimes. This one is difficult. He gives movement shenanigans options with the teleport and is almost mandatory in my lists now but at 1k, sometimes the games are simpler. If you play on the 4x6 table format, he's definitely a big asset. The other big perk is that he can help dispel an annoying endless spell in your face that would wreck you for several turns. 

Some people nowadays are more of the opinion that Ironjawz shouldn't even take a caster because of magicdom armies but at 1k, I don't think you'll see incredible magic combos.

The Megaboss is a good fighter too. To me he equals another group of fighters. He's very durable in Ironsunz. He's fricking slow though. Perhaps consider taking the Megaboss in Bloodtoof. You get the free TP, charge bonuses, etc. All in all, just try it. There's no perfect lists. You gotta test it out yourself. One thing that is inevitable though, Megaboss and Brutes are slow as hell. Gotta use movement shenanigans with them.

Edited by Jabbuk

2 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Weirdnob is also a popular option for general sometimes. This one is difficult. He gives movement shenanigans options with the teleport and is almost mandatory in my lists now but at 1k, sometimes the games are simpler. If you play on the 4x6 table format, he's definitely a big asset. The other big perk is that he can help dispel an annoying endless spell in your face that would wreck you for several turns. 

Some people nowadays are more of the opinion that Ironjawz shouldn't even take a caster because of magicdom armies but at 1k, I don't think you'll see incredible magic combos.

The Megaboss is a good fighter too. To me he equals another group of fighters. He's very durable in Ironsunz. He's fricking slow though. Perhaps consider taking the Megaboss in Bloodtoof. You get the free CP, charge bonuses, etc. All in all, just try it. There's no perfect lists. You gotta test it out yourself. One thing that is inevitable though, Megaboss and Brutes are slow as hell. Gotta use movement shenanigans with them.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Maybe ill just start with the Megaboss for a straight forward smash tactic and work from there. As you said ill just have to try it out. 

Thanks again! Youve been really helpful! :)

• Like 1

Alright guys, just started an ironjawz army.....I have a start collecting set, ironskulls boyz, a megaboss on foot and gordrakk ( I know lots of people say he isnt worth the points compared to the megaboss on maw krusha but I have a soft spot for legendary heros)...oh and grimgor ironhide but I'll be using him as ard boy boss probably.

Wondered if you might be able to advise some lists for me....I normally use mawtribes but fancied going back to my 1st army from the 1990s, orcs.....my how they've grown!

Cheers guys, appreciate any input 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Hey @Gutlord what are your goals?  Is this meant to be a tournament army, or something for casual games with mates?

Just want to understand your expectations before I chime in!

More with friends at the moment but we are quite competitive and one day I would like to take part in tournaments.

My mates have just brought two new armies to the table (mine is ironjawz), and it looks like I'm going up against slaanesh and fyreslayers so if you could advise what list and tactics I could take to deal with those two specifically that would be great. Thanks mate

• Subscriber

Quick question, for those who take 2x Maw Krushas, how are you guys making them look different?

I'm thinking about getting a second, but the Maw Krusha part of the kit doesn't have any assembly options, beyond the head option or just painting him a different colour.  

Edited by SunStorm

5 hours ago, Gutlord said:

More with friends at the moment but we are quite competitive and one day I would like to take part in tournaments.

My mates have just brought two new armies to the table (mine is ironjawz), and it looks like I'm going up against slaanesh and fyreslayers so if you could advise what list and tactics I could take to deal with those two specifically that would be great. Thanks mate

Ohh, your going to have a hard time.  Slaanesh and Fyre slayers are both really good combat armies that you can't just smash into and expect to win.  With both you need to avoid their heavy hitters (Keepers/Hearthguard Bezerkers) until you can completely overwhelm them.

You're not far off having what I'd consider a 'standard' competitive list, generally 15-20 Ardboy units (to be buffed and telaported turn one), 2 warchanters, 1 shaman (unless your doing bloodtooth) and 1-2 Mawcrushers.   Our battalions are so good they are almost mandatory, Ard Fist or Iron First being the best ones (unless your feeling rich and splash the cash on 15+ Gore Gruntas).  

So with what you have, I'd say you have three options: go for a second Mawcrusher, except a life of poverty and build a Gorefist, or invest in more infantry for more of a traditional Orruk feel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SunStorm said:

Quick question, for those who take 2x Maw Krushas, how are you guys making them look different?

I'm thinking about getting a second, but the Maw Krusha part of the kit doesn't have any assembly options, beyond the head option or just painting him a different colour.  

For me I built one as Gordrakk, and the other as the Megaboss, so one has the helm and the other doesn't. They also have very different paint schemes, so they're visually distinct. One is mainly red, with some black outlines, very much like the red one from the battletome painting guide, and the second one I did in a yellowish brown with dark blue stripes, much like Tigrex from Monster Hunter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Ohh, your going to have a hard time.  Slaanesh and Fyre slayers are both really good combat armies that you can't just smash into and expect to win.  With both you need to avoid their heavy hitters (Keepers/Hearthguard Bezerkers) until you can completely overwhelm them.

You're not far off having what I'd consider a 'standard' competitive list, generally 15-20 Ardboy units (to be buffed and telaported turn one), 2 warchanters, 1 shaman (unless your doing bloodtooth) and 1-2 Mawcrushers.   Our battalions are so good they are almost mandatory, Ard Fist or Iron First being the best ones (unless your feeling rich and splash the cash on 15+ Gore Gruntas).  

So with what you have, I'd say you have three options: go for a second Mawcrusher, except a life of poverty and build a Gorefist, or invest in more infantry for more of a traditional Orruk feel. 

Thanks for that advice mate, looks like I have a tough job ahead then 😄 I'd say I quite like the bloodtoofs warclan idea so I get the free alpha strike and can eliminate the need for a shaman (although against slaanesh I may need that dispel it seems) wonder if hand of gorking gordrakk would be a good shout🤔

I think I want the best ironjawz army build around gordrakk......if that's gore gruntas then so be it.....I'll have to get my wallet out😄

I took a sort of half-step in terms of either building Gordrakk or a Megaboss on mawkrusha. I used the Gordrakk head, with the rest of the model as a standard Megaboss, and then also magnetised the hands.

It was quite easy to do, and will let me run either very close to WYSIWYG, because the defining traits of Gordrakk vs the normal Megaboss is the weapons, as well as the two different weapon loadouts for the Megaboss.

You could consider that too, if you want the flexibility to run either and you care (some) about WYSIWYG. 🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gutlord said:

Yeah I'd have to agree with @Magnus The Blue I'm afraid, especially if you're set on running Gordrakk which I see as sub-optimal.

IJ have some neat tricks against Slaanesh, specifically:

- Smashing and Bashing circumvents Locus.  So if you charge multiple units and kill something soft first, you'll get to hit their Keeper

- You can Hero phase charge with Mighty Destroyers, retreat back out in the movement phase, then pile in (because you completed a charge earlier that turn)

You still have to be super careful because they're summoning can get out of hand quickly against multi-wound models.  In practice that means killing their Heroes at the first opportunity, and having models around their Heroes to close down the 9" summoning zones.

Against Fyreslayers you're going to be banging your head against the wall a lot of the time.  They Mighty D retreat thing will still work around Hermdar fight first.  Without any way to snipe out their Heroes, you're looking at playing the scenario, but if your opponent is good he will be favoured in the matchup.

The good news is, they don't have much in the way of shooting, which means your Warchanters will be safe; and they don't have dominant magic, so a Shaman will be usable.

Spoiler

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Right Fist of Dakkbad
- Artefact: Sunzblessed Armour
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

I do think this list would be a lot tighter if you ran a Maw Krusha instead of Gordrakk and a Megaboss:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 133

Maybe with a BWV instead of the extra CP, so you can have some fun teleporting the Shaman to where your summoned Boyz come on the table and double-banging Green Puke with extended range.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah I'd have to agree with @Magnus The Blue I'm afraid, especially if you're set on running Gordrakk which I see as sub-optimal.

IJ have some neat tricks against Slaanesh, specifically:

- Smashing and Bashing circumvents Locus.  So if you charge multiple units and kill something soft first, you'll get to hit their Keeper

- You can Hero phase charge with Mighty Destroyers, retreat back out in the movement phase, then pile in (because you completed a charge earlier that turn)

You still have to be super careful because they're summoning can get out of hand quickly against multi-wound models.  In practice that means killing their Heroes at the first opportunity, and having models around their Heroes to close down the 9" summoning zones.

Against Fyreslayers you're going to be banging your head against the wall a lot of the time.  They Mighty D retreat thing will still work around Hermdar fight first.  Without any way to snipe out their Heroes, you're looking at playing the scenario, but if your opponent is good he will be favoured in the matchup.

The good news is, they don't have much in the way of shooting, which means your Warchanters will be safe; and they don't have dominant magic, so a Shaman will be usable.

Hide contents

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (540)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 125

I do think this list would be a lot tighter if you ran a Maw Krusha instead of Gordrakk and a Megaboss:

Hide contents

Leaders
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 133

Maybe with a BWV instead of the extra CP, so you can have some fun teleporting the Shaman to where your summoned Boyz come on the table and double-banging Green Puke with extended range.

Hey dude, thanks so much for wapping up those lists for me.....so the best way to go is ard boy heavy, in smaller units so as to take advantage of smashing and bashing? 

I'm happy with that, I'll probably consider a shaman too......like you said fyreslayers are gonna be my biggest problem and they struggle with magic right?

You think I need a warclan?

1 hour ago, Gutlord said:

Hey dude, thanks so much for wapping up those lists for me.....so the best way to go is ard boy heavy, in smaller units so as to take advantage of smashing and bashing? 

You kinda want a mixture of unit sizes for S&B, because you do need that big hammer to crack something and guarantee a cascade.  But you already have that here in Gordrakk / MBMK and your 6 pigs.  The reason you've got a few medium sized Ardboyz in these lists is more to allow you to contest objectives in different areas of the board, and also because you only have so many points!

Ironfist is also a very good Battalion, I'm leaning Ardfist here because I think it gives you a win condition against FS (lose your units and pop up again to contest an objective miles away from their HGB).  But never rule Ironfist out.

I built those lists around Ironsunz as you can see from the CT and artefact, because I think it's the most fun (the countercharge is always interesting tool to use), the artefact is useful, plus it gets you an extra CP to fuel your Ardfist and absence of Ironfist. 

You certainly could go no Clan, but at that point I would look closely at Big Waaagh, maybe even with Gordrakk as general for the 6 Waaagh points and an Ironfist for back door access to Mighty Waaagh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

For me I built one as Gordrakk, and the other as the Megaboss, so one has the helm and the other doesn't. They also have very different paint schemes, so they're visually distinct. One is mainly red, with some black outlines, very much like the red one from the battletome painting guide, and the second one I did in a yellowish brown with dark blue stripes, much like Tigrex from Monster Hunter.

16 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

I took a sort of half-step in terms of either building Gordrakk or a Megaboss on mawkrusha. I used the Gordrakk head, with the rest of the model as a standard Megaboss, and then also magnetised the hands.

It was quite easy to do, and will let me run either very close to WYSIWYG, because the defining traits of Gordrakk vs the normal Megaboss is the weapons, as well as the two different weapon loadouts for the Megaboss.

You could consider that too, if you want the flexibility to run either and you care (some) about WYSIWYG. 🙂

Thanks guys, the painting will be the best way to make another stand out I think. 

Once I finish my current Megaboss on foot, I'll be ready to make another on a Maw Krusha. I'm a bit obsessed with Megabosses right now, currently have 3 on foot, 1 on MK and another on gigantic squiggoth  in progress. 

You kinda want a mixture of unit sizes for S&B, because you do need that big hammer to crack something and guarantee a cascade.  But you already have that here in Gordrakk / MBMK and your 6 pigs.  The reason you've got a few medium sized Ardboyz in these lists is more to allow you to contest objectives in different areas of the board, and also because you only have so many points!

Ironfist is also a very good Battalion, I'm leaning Ardfist here because I think it gives you a win condition against FS (lose your units and pop up again to contest an objective miles away from their HGB).  But never rule Ironfist out.

I built those lists around Ironsunz as you can see from the CT and artefact, because I think it's the most fun (the countercharge is always interesting tool to use), the artefact is useful, plus it gets you an extra CP to fuel your Ardfist and absence of Ironfist. 

You certainly could go no Clan, but at that point I would look closely at Big Waaagh, maybe even with Gordrakk as general for the 6 Waaagh points and an Ironfist for back door access to Mighty Waaagh

Again mate thanks for the advice there. I do actually have 5 brutes that I forgot to mention about....is thier a place in the ranks for those hulks or are they a bit meh when you can use ardboyz?

Big waaagh huh?.....never considered that. Do you think some bonesplitters would be useful against fyreslayers and slaanesh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gutlord said:

Big waaagh huh?.....never considered that. Do you think some bonesplitters would be useful against fyreslayers and slaanesh?

Bonesplitterz are money against Fyreslayers, check out this article for how I set up to one-shot a unit of Hearthguard with Big Stabbas:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2020/02/27/summer-smash-tournament-review-big-wins-for-the-big-waaagh/

Note that this list is no longer tournament legal (Warboss is now Compendium) but you could easily adapt it.  Your bigger issue will be fitting Gordrakk and Big Stabbas in the same list from a points perspective.

7 hours ago, Gutlord said:

Again mate thanks for the advice there. I do actually have 5 brutes that I forgot to mention about....is thier a place in the ranks for those hulks or are they a bit meh when you can use ardboyz?

Nah Brutes are ok since the points got shuffled around.  I can see myself putting them in lists now, maybe one unit of 5 or 10.  The biggest thing for me is the +2" to charge on Ardboyz, which Brutes really miss.  But you could definitely work them into a list.

• Thanks 1

Bonesplitterz are money against Fyreslayers, check out this article for how I set up to one-shot a unit of Hearthguard with Big Stabbas:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2020/02/27/summer-smash-tournament-review-big-wins-for-the-big-waaagh/

Note that this list is no longer tournament legal (Warboss is now Compendium) but you could easily adapt it.  Your bigger issue will be fitting Gordrakk and Big Stabbas in the same list from a points perspective.

Nah Brutes are ok since the points got shuffled around.  I can see myself putting them in lists now, maybe one unit of 5 or 10.  The biggest thing for me is the +2" to charge on Ardboyz, which Brutes really miss.  But you could definitely work them into a list.

Read through your tournament mate.....that whole event sounds epic! Sounds like big stabbas are the way to go.....40 wounds on archaon!

I'll try my ironjawz against my new opponents and if after a few games I'm getting slaughtered I'll pick up some bonesplitters and have a read through the big waaagh section of my battletome 

• Like 1