AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

20 hours ago, Andrew G said:

I'm going to a tourney June 30th,  which is absolutely perfect as I'll be able to utilize the IJ point drops without having to use the early July FAQ where I'm assuming Fungoids are going to 100 or 110. 

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

You better hope your tourney is before july cuz there isnt a snow balls chance in the warp the Fungoid is staying at 90. 110 is probably what he will be if not 120pts based on all the caster increases im seeing

Way ahead of you...

Edited by Andrew G

Miniwargaming has a review of GHB 2019 up on their YouTube channel. They briefly touch on ironjawz. Looks like we get a spell lore similar to Hand of Gork, and the revamped Mighty destroyers. It’s no longer a random roll per hero. Instead it costs 1CP to activate. Activate allows a chosen unit to move OR if 3” from an enemy Pile in And Attack instead. And this still occurs in the hero phase

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Brutes (510)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
Brute Fist (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (90)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

1 Cast cogs with Fungoid 

2 Teleport 15 Brutes with Shaman

3 Move  Maw-Krusha with CA

4 Charge with 15 Brutes (9" with 5" minimal charge (+3 from IJ and cogs))

5 Use CA from Maw-Krusha

6 Profit. 15 Brutes will deal d3 MW and attack in hero phase. If all will be good they can charge and destroy next unit in fight phase

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew G said:

I heard you can only purchase 1CP through cutting points.  'ardboyz change is big, definitely going to be the backbone of most lists. 

With the reduction of points for bloodtooth and the limit for underpoints army, the reduction for ardboyz, increase of fungoid ... I think that your MSU list might work really well in a bloodtooth now !

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Battalions
Bloodtoofs (80)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3

Man I so want to try this list, it's going to be garbage but still :D the alphastrike is real.

I think I will try something like this, at least if fungoid is not increased more than 10 points ;) 

Ironsunz and Bloodtoofs can be interchangeable, but I do not own a baleful realmgate.

Artifacts is a bit up in the air. The boss skewer is not needed as much if running bloodtoofs instead.

I'd love an aetherquartz brooch, but I also really like ignax and cloak for some survivability for the MK and the foot boss to get into position. It is what I ponder the most though, along with the trait, cant go wrong with ironclad, but both the charge traits have a place as well, looking at reroll to wound on charges on the MK makes that initial charge far more dangerous and averages for more than chance for d3 mortals.

Allegiance: Ironjawz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy
LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Command Trait : Ironclad
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Artefact : Ignax's Scales

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak

Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact : The Boss Skewer

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

-hand of gork

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

UNITS
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas

BATTALIONS
Ironfist (160)
Ironsunz (80)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 137
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 3/

1 minute ago, Scurvydog said:

I think I will try something like this, at least if fungoid is not increased more than 10 points ;) 

Ironsunz and Bloodtoofs can be interchangeable, but I do not own a baleful realmgate.

Artifacts is a bit up in the air. The boss skewer is not needed as much if running bloodtoofs instead.

I'd love an aetherquartz brooch, but I also really like ignax and cloak for some survivability for the MK and the foot boss to get into position. It is what I ponder the most though, along with the trait, cant go wrong with ironclad, but both the charge traits have a place as well, looking at reroll to wound on charges on the MK makes that initial charge far more dangerous and averages for more than chance for d3 mortals.

Take Mirrored Cuirass on the Cabbage and Grab the Broach, with the new changes I'd say it's mandatory.

Drop the Footboss to a second weirdnob and the points difference will cover the fungoid increase, with MSU both the Gattling Cannon of the Waaagh! and the RRF wounds are really solid, the second one is a massive boost for both the cabbage and the brutes.

40 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I missed the reveal.  What changes were made to Ironjawz?

minor unit point changes (mostly decreases) across the board

battalions got cheaper all around, Superbattalions got really cheaper

Mighty Destroyer was changed to be a command ability that guarantees a movement in the hero phase instead of the annoying roll off but also allows a unit to fight in the hero phase if they are within 3.

They got Spell lore, stand out are Great Green Hand of Gork which deep strike spell that works the same as the Gloomspite version and Power of the Waagh which you roll a dice for every Ironjawz unit  with more then two models around the caster on a 3+ you do D3 mortal wounds to an enemies unit (i think it has to be a different target for every successful 3+) on a 6 you do D6 mortal wounds.

Superbattalions got changed a bit, Ironsunz gives your Megaboss D3 strength in victories stack, Bloodtoof now counts your Ironjawz units as two units when activating your Megaboss on Mawkrusha Waagh! ability

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

Just now, broche said:

MIght look weird, but I kinda wish they FAQ aetherquartz brooch. The fact it's mandatory make list building a bit boring.

I think it's more that Ironjawz themselves are broken rather than the broach, without it they drop back down into garbage tier. It's because we now have the two best CP sinks in the game.

• Haha 1

So is there a timing effect on say Mighty Destroyers or Waaghs?  Can you possibly say spend 3 on a Waagh, get 1 CP back from  Aetherquartz Brooch then spend it again on an additonal new Waaagh?  Or is there a timing step that doesn't let you keep chaining it?  

5 hours ago, Malakree said:

I think it's more that Ironjawz themselves are broken rather than the broach, without it they drop back down into garbage tier

I'm not so sure that will still be true. Some strong army are getting hurt by point increase (DoK, Skaven), while we get discount, teleport and way to attack in hero phase. 

Edited by broche

2 minutes ago, broche said:

I'm not so sure that will still be true. Some strong army are getting hurt by point increase (DoK, Skaven), will we get discount, teleport and way to attack in hero phase. 

Also, I think what really helps Ironjawz right now is that it one of the few armies that still can one drop really well, granted I feel like they became more CP hungry and a lot of luck is going to be coming from CP generation 

at least this GHB update is going to breath new life into Ironjawz until a new tome comes out and if they tone down Gristlegore a bit I can see them hold their own against some of the stronger armies (with some difficulties of course)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

I think it's more that Ironjawz themselves are broken rather than the broach, without it they drop back down into garbage tier. It's because we now have the two best CP sinks in the game.

IJ are definitely not broken and the brooch is 100% mandatory in all list building from this point on for IJ at least. Way too many CA to use and not enough cp generating 

If we play no more 6 units of ironjawz or plan to spread them to much pick a warboss banner for classic waaagh garanted it (+reroll wound fail of 1) could be an option instead of ironjawz waaagh ?  And then we could do more easier units of 10+ brutes, 3+gore, 10+ardboyz. What do you think about it ? 

Edited by Balrogue

22 hours ago, Imperial said:

Leaders
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Brutes (510)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
Brute Fist (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (90)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 125

1 Cast cogs with Fungoid 

2 Teleport 15 Brutes with Shaman

3 Move  Maw-Krusha with CA

4 Charge with 15 Brutes (9" with 5" minimal charge (+3 from IJ and cogs))

5 Use CA from Maw-Krusha

6 Profit. 15 Brutes will deal d3 MW and attack in hero phase. If all will be good they can charge and destroy next unit in fight phase

Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines with Gordrakk.

You probably can't fit Cogs at that point, but you get 3D6 charges instead.

Blast through the chaff screen in the Hero phase, and blast through the rest of the army in the combat phase.

(Or go straight to the juicy stuff if they haven't screened front and back - you can Hand right into the backfield and trigger the Voice of Gork on any unit in the Batallion).

Also gives you a bit of play against Gristlegore and Slaanesh too, if you can get into them in the Hero phase.

I was thinking:

Big G 560

WNS 120

20x #BRUTES 680

5x #BRUTES 170

5x #BRUTES 170

#BRUTEfist 160

Leaves you 140 points for maybe a Megaboss on Foot (get some juice out of that second artefact), 3 pigs or 10 Ardboyz (or maybe even a Fungoid + CP, or Arachnacauldron to get Itchy Nuisance).

You could drop down to 15x #BRUTES and have a bit more to work with, but we don't bring Gordrakk to the party to be sensible :D

Alpha strike armies usually have a hard ceiling in terms of what they can achieve, and aren't that much fun after a few games.  But man I'd love to put Gordrakk and 30 Brutes on the table!

Edited by PlasticCraic

On 6/16/2019 at 2:10 AM, Malakree said:

Something like that as your standard list. Other than that I don't see that much changing, depending on how much the fungoid costs you might swap a warchanter for one although to be honest the 1 drop teleport screen is so nasty for locking your opponent in, it's basically just what they have changed sylvaneth away from.

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Aetherquartz Broach
- Kunnin' whatever it is charge in enemy charge phase thing.

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (420)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
Ardfist (160)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1910 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 218

The sheer quantity of wounds combined with the ability to hand of gork a unit across the board should mean you just win on objectives. Even a GK on TG will struggle to get through 30 Ardboys and if he does you can just bring them back, teleport them then pop a CP to charge them again. This is probably our strongest list and also horrifically boring to play both with and against. At just 3 drops you will often get to choose to go first aswell and the ridiculous number of bodies should let you screen off the entire board outside of your opponents deployment zone in order to stop him from ever getting out of it. Think sylvaneth but even worse.

Oooooh boy, that list is HORRIBLE...in a good way!

That's a lot of Ardboyz to paint, but I got 2 words for ya:

Contrast.

Paint.