AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

30 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

So if you were playing LON with a Bloodtoofs-style army...

a) How would you all approach it?

b) Is there any scope to stuff up their Gravesites with your Realmgate?

This can actually be a good matchup for us. Typically with nagash he either has the Morgast bodyguards and just chaff or no bodyguards and a 2-3 big units and some rubbish.

In the former you can either play the scenario and pick up all the objectives, killing any chaff and staying out of range of most of nagash spells since the morgast have to stay close to him. If you have a big enough advantage, charge in but you must kill the morgast first before nagash or he is essentially indestructible. Ironjawz with bloodtoofs and cogs are good at this, fast to capture objectives and if he does make a mistake and spread out can capitalize.

in the latter it is impossible to ignore the units that will be maybe powerful and will fight.  However nagash is a lot more fragile. A double turn  with bloodtoofs and multiple waaagh will destroy all units and nagash. If he is foolish enough to leave space and a long charging maw Krusha can make it to nagash, take the shot, once he dies it is well worth the loss of even your general.

Main threat is hand of dust through portal, 50/50 chance of dying, watch ranges. I think they are one of the better matchups of the new armies following faq. Some are much worse for us.

• Like 2

@Rock Lobster Amazing work, thanks for this in-deep insights. 

As my first-ever competitive tournament is going to take place mid-November, I'm especially curious about possible matchups and "how-to-play" those matchups. Do you (or anyone of you lovely gits here) have some spare time to write up a few general insights on the current state of Ironjawz matchups?

Another thing which always gets me is the urge to charge as soon as possible vs. the reasonable approach of playing objectives. With a Bloodtoofs + cogs list you can pretty much have the choice of alpha striking or objective playing I assume. I think this has to do with a good understanding of matchups?

@Rock Lobster question for you, during your game against sylvaneth... i see that Alerial flew up on a tower, and then your MC is posed tilted 90 degrees vertical to meet her. Is this just a picture for dramatic effect, or is that an actual expectation to be able to close that gap in such a way. I've never come across that situation is why i ask. 

Also, excellent write up!

57 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

@Rock Lobster question for you, during your game against sylvaneth... i see that Alerial flew up on a tower, and then your MC is posed tilted 90 degrees vertical to meet her. Is this just a picture for dramatic effect, or is that an actual expectation to be able to close that gap in such a way. I've never come across that situation is why i ask. 

According to the rule a model can finish his move at any vertical point of a terrain feature. Flying model ignore vertical distance, so he can confirm but i guess they put it like this to remember the MK was at some point on the tower less than 1'' from Alarielle

20 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

Indeed I had not been in a situation where a models base completely covered the top of something and wasn’t sure if I could charge. Had to ask a judge who ruled I could cling to the building like spider man and so I charged in. So we could remember the absurdity of it I got my opponent to hold the krusha there for a photo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rock Lobster said:

Indeed I had not been in a situation where a models base completely covered the top of something and wasn’t sure if I could charge. Had to ask a judge who ruled I could cling to the building like spider man and so I charged in. So we could remember the absurdity of it I got my opponent to hold the krusha there for a photo.

Lol...it does seem a bit.....abstract?!? Oh well im sure it was good for a laugh. Nice pic though. : ) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

Lol...it does seem a bit.....abstract?!? Oh well im sure it was good for a laugh. Nice pic though. : ) 

It does look a bit mad but that is only because with our little painty men we have turns and phases to worry about.  In reality (yeah reality I know) they would both be half on the top and half flying just off it whilst they fought for position so I see no issue with it.  

It does make a great pic tho.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 3:03 PM, Rock Lobster said:

Capital city bloodbath this weekend. The boyz are ready, we shall see how we get on - 6 games coming up.

IMG_4145.jpg.0bbb07424fe32c79d28dc8026a6b14a7.jpg

My list

• Allegiance Ironjawz (Hysh)
  • Bork Ballsmasha on Mawkrusha (Ironclad, Mirrored Cuirass)
  • Megaboss (The Destroyer)
  • Warchanter (Aetherquartz Brooch)
  • Fungoid cave shaman
  • 5 units of 5 brutes
  • Bloodtoofs and Ironfist
  • Cogs

@Rock Lobster Nice list!
I'm just staring with AoS and taking the Ironjawz as I've always loved greenskins as they seem pretty straight forward to learn the game with.
Do you play in the area or did you come in for the CCBB? I also happen to live in the national capital region, so I'm looking for places to play in the area. 

14 hours ago, Hankster said:

@Rock Lobster Nice list!
I'm just staring with AoS and taking the Ironjawz as I've always loved greenskins as they seem pretty straight forward to learn the game with.
Do you play in the area or did you come in for the CCBB? I also happen to live in the national capital region, so I'm looking for places to play in the area. 

I’m in the capital Center west, up for a game some time. Work keeps me busy so I don’t get to play too often, in fact this year has been so busy I got only 4 games of aos this year prior to the tournament.

takes the total to 10 games after the event.

the list is fun to play, I found the megaboss with destroyer surprisingly useful at clearing people off objectives with a couple of waaagh buffs.

My opponents horror when he personnaly killed 15 dryads in a single round of combat with only 2 waaagh buffs was great clearing the objective for me.

the lack of a big unit does hurt for smashing and bashing though. If the battalion allowed it I would have 1 fewer units and make 1 unit of brutes 10 man.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rock Lobster said:

the lack of a big unit does hurt for smashing and bashing though. If the battalion allowed it I would have 1 fewer units and make 1 unit of brutes 10 man.

That's the ultimate dilemma for Ironjawz. I love Brutes by 5 cause you get 2 champion and more board coverage. But 10 brutes have to potential to shred most units and trigger smash and bash. Also charging 10 brutes for your opponent is tricky as he open himself for a counter attack. 

25 minutes ago, broche said:

That's the ultimate dilemma for Ironjawz. I love Brutes by 5 cause you get 2 champion and more board coverage. But 10 brutes have to potential to shred most units and trigger smash and bash. Also charging 10 brutes for your opponent is tricky as he open himself for a counter attack. 

Our tactic atm is very much based around the aetherquartz broach and huge waaagh! Turns. For those you only really care about the boss/special weapon and with 5+ extra attacks smashing and bashing is easy to trigger.

Also remember that against the doppelganger cloak it can be detrimental to take a smashing and bashing proc.

14 minutes ago, Goodapollo4 said:

@Kuma Great looking Jawz! Could you post a picture of that Garrosh looking brute you've got there? Love the conversions!

Thanks!! I am in the process of moving this weekend...had these in pictures and posted em up. I can take more pics in week or two!

Edited by Kuma
  • Like 1

IRONJAWZ THUMP ARCHAEON!

Played a pitched battled against Chaos today (Archaeon, Kairos, Vguard, SCrushers, Bloodletters etc). I ran my Bloodtoofs . played Relocation Orb

Turn 1 was us just positioning our armies - nothing happened. 

Turn 2  he moved up, attempted a couple charges and failed. Archaeon, SCrushers, Vguard came very close. My turn 2, I fed my 6GG unit to the SCrushers to stop their charge advantage. Keeping Archaeon and VGuard nearby but not in combat. Another flanking 3GG charged his skullcanon and popped it. 

Turn 3 - he charged Archaeon, Vguard, blood warriors into my 6GG. Charged bloodletters into the flanking 3GG. Combat, Archaeon popped 4GG, my 3GG killed 3 bloodletters, his Vguard, SCrushers and Bloodwarriors failed to finish off the once Big unit of GG. Bloodletters did ****** all to the 3GG

My turn 3, I reposited everything for one bigcharge! MBMK Grog Big Peks Mighty Destroyers’d himself. Warchanters buffed MBMK and a unit of 5Brutes with choppas. MBMK moves up behind enemy lines to charge Kairos (inflicting 5 mortals to Kairos). 2x5brutes prepared to charge Archaeon. MB Grit and 5 Brutes charged another unit of Bloodwarriors. 

WAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Using 4/5 CP, Grog Big Peks summoned a Mighty WAAAAGH. Buffing everything to  +5 attacks! 

MBMK went first, and his MK popped Kairos with very little effort (9 attacks 2+/3+/-2/3 is pretty decanting to anything)

I went with the 3GG in combat with 6 Bloodletters next, they popped after half the attacks. 

I then chose to attack Archaeon with the Warchanter buffed 5brute Unit - I didn’t want to risk not popping another unit. Those 5Brutes are destined to be DA BADDEST BOSSES EVA! They knocked Archaeon out and sent him back to wherever he came from. Only 5Brutes! (Choppas alone, 9/2+/3+/-1/1) Archaeon just couldn’t make enough saves. After he was gone my opponent conceded.

I had never played against Archaeon before so was curious and cautious as to what he can potentially do. Thankfully, I knew better than to send MBMK Grog into him and that my Brutes were able to clobber him - though I don’t expect that to be the case always 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I also spotted Garrosh, love it!

If you have any specific questions ask away and we'll see what we can do. 

Generally we revolve around using the Waaagh! ability to stack up extra attacks on things like the brute klaw/Smasha to try and ruin peoples day.

Hah! thanks!

I am just working out how to get across the field without the old destruction moves. seems the new ones dont allow for a lot of movement. 

On 8/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, DerZauberer said:

Another thing which always gets me is the urge to charge as soon as possible vs. the reasonable approach of playing objectives.

Charging and punching someone in the face is the most reasonable thing an Ironjaw could possibly do.

• Like 3

Just now, Kuma said:

Hah! thanks!

I am just working out how to get across the field without the old destruction moves. seems the new ones dont allow for a lot of movement. 

They don't. Most of us are using ironfist, chronomatic cogs and bloodtoofs to try and bridge the gap.

+4 charge army wide makes the long distance charges much more reliable.

7 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Only 5Brutes! (Choppas alone, 9/2+/3+/-1/1) Archaeon just couldn’t make enough saves. After he was gone my opponent conceded.

WAAAGH!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right, I've - perhaps ill advisedly - started an ironjawz army for blood & glory.  As I have 10 weeks left, and (almost) one unit of brutes painted I need to think about minimizing painting time, especially as I'm not a particularly fast painter.

I was thinking of going bloodtoofs with double MBMK, and ironfist, but even if I can fit the cogs in to that, I wouldn't be able to afford anyone to cast it.  Is it feasible to run that sort of list without the cogs? I don't really want to get slapped about all weekend as I'm hoping to enjoy IJ enough to want to return to them after that weekend.

Any other suggestions for painting un-intensive lists and not completely impotent lists greatly received

I don’t think a Cogs is necessary at all...

- our casters aren’t the best (unless running multiple Weirdnobs, likely in a Weirdfist so a lot of points investment there

- if we don’t get Cogs off turn 1, likely, then there’s not much point Casting it in subsequent turns as armies will be closer by turn2

- Cogs + Weirdnob or Cogs + Grot Shaman  is 140-180pts where I think is better spent elsewhere 

- A lot of armies take Cogs so if they’re using it, it’ll benefit us also 

- Ironfist and Mighty destoryers can get us up the board quite quickly

- Alligience ability and Bloodtoofs gives us +2 to our charge 

And most importantly

- IJs want to capitalise on their CP to unleash WAAAAGHS so holding back a turn or two for positioning and charging everything and getting many extra attacks is GOLDEN

Anyway... just my thoughts and why I don’t run cogs with IJs