AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So doing a somewhat quick rundown of blackout, you'll see I dodged a lot of the harder matchups. 

Game 1 - Starstrike vs Deepkin

Spoiler

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Fuethan
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- General
Isharann Soulscryer (130)
Isharann Soulrender (80)
Akhelian King (240)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 

Battleline
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)

Units
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
20 x Eternal Guard (140)

Battalions
Namarti Corps (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

Taking first turn, I popped voice of gork, a mighty destroyer on the cabbage, Big G and 3 ggs then dived across the board. I killed 20 namarti thralls, his tidecaster and broke through to kill 5 eels. I also scored my secondary of having a unit wholly within each of the table quarters with him not doing the same.  His double, with high tide turn 2, brought him back in it and also score the only kill on Big G the whole tournament.

The game turned into a grindfest with me sat on two objectives to his one. He scored his secondary, secret mission and the game ended with me decisively ahead on vp but both of our armies decimated. I had 8 ardboys and 2 brutes, he had 2 namarti reavers and the single eel left from the turn 1 unit...

Game 2 - Battle For The Pass vs Beasts of Chaos

Spoiler

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Leaders
Doombull (120)
- General
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
40 x Ungors (200)
- Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Great Axes
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Gors (70)
10 x Gors (70)
10 x Gors (70)

Units
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Battalions
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Wildfire Taurus (80)
Doomblast Dirgehorn (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 172

We had a giant mountain in the middle of the board splitting the top and bottom objectives. Both of them had a tower 3/4" from the edge which only further restricted the corridors around each of the middle two objectives. The bottom tower was on his side of the board putting the choke on him while my side was had much easier access to it. The reverse was true on the top.

I gave him first turn and never got the double. He ran up some ungor to claim the two middle obj and brought 40 ungor and 10 bestigor out of ambush to assault one of my flanks. Shots basically bounced and he failed his charge. I brought gordrakk across to support the ardboys, he killed the bestigor and the ardboys spent the next three turns grinding down a combination of ungors and gors which were thrown at them to keep them off the top objective. For the first two I postured while moving up slightly, I did engage on the bottom objective and claim it as the tower was more to his half leaving him with the smaller choke. Importantly I got far enough on my GG charge to pull his 6 Minotaurs into combat around the giant rock with them having only just enough space to get 1 in.

His turn 3 he pulled the Minotaurs out of combat, moving them and his doombull round towards the top corridor. The corridor was clear due to the Ardboy/Gor/Ungor scrap occurring right at the board edge on my side of the tower leaving him firmly in control of the objective. He also charged some Bestigor and moved a bray-shaman into the already congested bottom corridor.

I Bombed and went, I tried to Mighty Destroyers charge my cabbage into the bray-shaman to allow me to move up but he wiffed spectacularly doing ONE impact hit with both 8 dice and the HMB...On the top corridor my Brutes made a 15" charge to get engaged with the Minotaurs and Big G slammed into his doombull. With 7 extra attacks I cleaned almost everything up and left him with a single shaggoth, 3 ungor and his summons. Turn 4 I hunted down what was left and tabled him for the victory.

He got 0 Kill Points and didn't score his secondary. Mine was Obliterate, kill 3 units in the same turn which I easily did turn 2.

Game 3 - Relocation Orb vs Stormcast

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Heraldor (100)
Knight-Heraldor (100)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (440)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
10 x Skinks (70)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (70)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

Endless Spells / Terrain
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 120

This game was in Hysh which was key.

I gave him first turn, he dropped the comet, setup towards my stronger side and moved a single skink into range of the objective. I moved forward, while still screening out the Heraldor drop, putting 2 ardboys in range of the objective. Again posturing rather than engaging, my only major move was to push the 3 GG's and 10 ardboys on my refused side forward to cover the Orb teleport if it jumped to me.

Turn 2 he won priority and the Orb did jump to the refused side giving me easy control of it. He dropped the two heraldors doing some damage to by cabbage and 2 ardboy units, again this was in his stronger side bunker. The Prime also came down then smushed almost all of my gg unit on the refused flank. In response I poped voice of gork, Mighty Destroyers Gordrakk 24" across the board to get him into position to charge the prime. I also Bombed 3 times saving 1 cp for the combat phase. In the charge phase my cabbage hit his skink screen killing 7 of them, he had to leave 1 in combat with the cabbage opening a massive hole on the other end which I charged the Brutes, 10 Ardboys and 3 gg's into.

The bomb went off over 4 units with one six, the Bloodtoofs bonus converting that to 5 extra attacks. Adding on Big G's 2 attacks gave me a 7 Attack Bomb.

In the start of the combat phase I triggered Strike Quickly to activate Big G, he smushed the prime and we both scored our secondaries (Mine to kill his highest point hero and him to get it killed by a hero or monster 🤣). I then activated the cabbage, pilling in to get the 20 sequitors in attack range. I allocated 3 Choppa attacks and all the tail attacks into the skinks, in order to ensure I got off SnB, and the rest went into the sequitors. As we were still in My start of combat phase he couldn't yet reroll all saves, being stuck just on RR1's, my cabbage proceded to tear massive chunks out of the unit which were only further worsened when I activated the Brutes off SnB.

End result of the combat phase was 2 of the 20 sequitors surviving which he IP to keep on the board. Turn 3 the orb jumped further into the refused side and with him having no teleports basically left him screwed, turn 4 it returned to it's turn 2 position and I won the game off it. By the end I scored ~900 kp (That damn 20 man sequitor unit legged it and lived...) while he scored 990. 

End of Day 1

I finished day one 3-0 with 4/6 secondaries starting the next day against Tyrants of Blood on table 3. This is the first time I've ever gone 3-0 and definitely my first time being on the big boy tables after round 2. It left me incredibly stressed and I woke up at 4am the next morning after a horrific "nights" sleep. Needless to say I was a wreck going into day 2 which I'll put in a separate post but it's no where near as long or complicated. I'll also add broader thoughts at the end of the post in a conclusion type post.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

42 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Good job man! Was it the same list as the one you posted on page 97? :)

This is my list was.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 114

Game 4 - Duality of Death vs Khorne

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (270)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown  (I think, whatever it was it didn't matter)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- Artefact: A'rgath the King of Blades 
Skarbrand (380)
Karanak (140)

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Blood Hunt (120)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 91

I gave him first turn due to being 24" apart (His engage range is 22") and having not setup for the Ulgu CA teleport meaning he couldn't get to me on his first turn. He pushed up and claimed both objectives

My Turn 1 I popped Voice of Gork, 2 Waagh, and moved Gordrakk forward with Mighty Destroyers. I also used the Ulgu CA to teleport 10 Ardboys behind him, this was a pretty big mistake, I should have moved my cabbage forward with Mighty Destroyers instead.

I then charged in, using Big G to crack a hole in his screen which my Cabbage then finished off, he jumped again and I put 5 mortals onto Skarbrand, another pretty big mistake, they should have been on the Insensate Rage.

In the combat phase I gained 4 extra attacks and he should have been dead however I went to activate big G first as I thought I had measured it and was 3.5" away so could make the sideways pile in round my Cabbage and be able to attack Skarbrand. My opponent called it and said he had thought I'd said it was exactly 4" which would make Big G unable to pile in unfortunately I had already moved it, we both knew that if I could make that pile-in the game was over. Being incredibly stressed, see above, I went on tilt. I offered to activate something else instead, started with my brutes and then due to a combination of horrific wound rolls and amazing saves his Insensate Rage BT survived on 3 wounds (🤮). He then activated the entire council and obviously killed a massive amount AND piling skarbrand out of Big G's range anyway... This was the mistake that lost me the game. I should have just activated my cabbage, excepted Gordrakk wasn't getting into combat and mushed Skarbrand. I would at least have killed him in addtion to crippling the Insensate Rage.

The result was that I was left decimated and he was in an "ok" position. Fortunately I got the double turn, he spent 6 Bloodtithe points to activate skarbrand at the start of my hero phase who then MASSIVELY wiffed on Big G doing 0 damage. In response I Mighty Destroyers on Big G who turned skarbrand into paste. In the combat phase I cleaned up his other 2 bloodthirsters and flesh hounds leaving him only karnak on my side of the board with 5 flesh hounds and his general on the other point. 

With a ridiculous amount of skill, seriously it was art, and the double turn he managed to clean off my point and score twice on it with Karnak. He also moved the 5 flesh hounds (summoned by Karnak) to screen me from using Mighty Destroyers to try and rush his other point. My 3 GG's on that side then killed karnak and reclaimed the point, I moved Big G back to the board edge, saved my CP, moved up my 3 GG's hanging around the other side of the board and killed 3 flesh hounds with them.

He won Priority and scored enough points to ensure I could no longer win, the game ended 14-12 :( , in my Turn 4 I did what I was intending to do if I had gained the double, Teleported Big G to the other side of the board, Mighty Destroyers to move him up 10, move him another 10 in the Movement phase, made a 3" charge on the Bloodthirster and squished it. This denied his secondary which was to have a hero with an artefact alive at the end of the game. If I had won Priority turn 3 or 4 I won, if I hadn't messed up my turn 1 I won. If we play that game 100 more times I win it upwards of 90 the matchup is that skewed in my favour.

At the end of the game he had 1 unit of 2 flesh hounds left, scored 10 TP's and 990 kill points. I scored 2 TP's and ~1700 kill points. The only good thing being that having lost a game I was no longer running for a podium which lifted an enormous weight off my shoulders. This meant I went into game 5 no longer stressed and not on tilt.

Game 5 - Focal Points vs Wanderers

Spoiler

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- Artefact: Forget-me-knot 
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl 
Wayfinder (80)
Waywatcher (120)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
Waywatcher (120)

Battleline
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
20 x Sisters of the Watch (320)
20 x Wildwood Rangers (240)
10 x Eternal Guard (70)

Units
5 x Wild Riders (100)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (210)

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (160)

Endless Spells
Soulscream Bridge (80)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 115

This game was an unbalanced in my favour as the previous one except I didn't ****** it up. As we were both 1 drops it came down to winning the roll, he got it, picked a side then deployed. He had most of his army in ambush with only the eternal guard in one corner and wild riders in the other. Neither holding his objectives. I deployed with the cabbages and brutes centrally, with the GG's screening out his ambush while also holding my objectives. Lastly my Ardboys were in the corners ensuring that he couldn't get into my deployment zone and was forced back another 9" from it.

Predictably he gave me first turn. I pushed the brutes forward to just claim the middle, the Ardboys to screen out even more of the board edge while ensuring that he still couldn't come in on my board edge. I scored my secondary of holding 2 more objectives than he did (3-0).

His turn he jumped the majority of his army on my left flank about halfway down the side edge, he also dropped a single waywatcher and 20 Sisters on my right flank. His shooting phase occurred and I lost 4 Ardboys on both ends, the bloodtoofs bravery saving me from any lost models. He double turned me, dropped the bridge on my left and teleported his army forward, because of my deployment he was STILL out of range of my cabbages and only 1/3rd could shoot the brutes. He decided to put the majority of his shots into my GG's on that side killing them. He also picked off a single brute and killed another 3 ardboys, thank Gork for +2 bravery. On my right flank only 4 ardboys died due to one Ardboy saving 7 wounds on his shield and 1 on mystical 😲 His charge phase he put the wildriders into the brutes, I lost another brute and they deleted the wild riders.

My turn 2 I bombed for +7 attacks, charged his wildwood rangers in order to avoid getting shot by the sisters. After the resulting combat phase he had his prince, a waywatcher and 4 sisters left on that flank. I also did a sucide charge on the right and with a roll of 17" was able to get into the waywatcher without getting shot, they did 2 wounds to it and were killed :D 

After that it was just clean up. Game ended turn 4, he was tabled and scored 240 kill points. He did get his secondary, secret mission, so I got 11 TP and 1640 KP.

Conclusion

The list is ridiculous. You have such an incredible threat range that even most shooting is out ranged by it. Combined with the 1drop letting you pick first or second you can decide not to risk the double purely based on whether they can reach you or not.

• Big G is the lists superstar, his command ability is what really makes it. Combine that with the fact he hits harder than a normal cabbage and he really does just eat people. In the khorne game he had 8 attacks with smasha BASE at the end of it.
  • The forth command point is mandatory. It gives you the leeway to MD without relying on the Aetherquartz Broach, making an alphastrike far more reliable.
  • While the list CAN alphastrike it actually isn't an alphastrike list. Most of the time you outrange the opponent so heavily that you can comfortably spend a turn or 2 setting up for the bomb. Given that you get an extra CP every turn it just makes you even more of a threat when you do go.
  • Bloodtoofs is way better than Ironsunz. Most of the time you aren't even being engaged turn 1 and when you're alphastriking that extra 1" range is so important. In addition the fact you can full power Waaagh! at 3 units allows you to spread much more effectively rather than being confined to a 15" bubble around the cabbage. Voice of Gork only accentuates this by being functionally map wide +2 attacks.
  • I'd say our only negative matchups are probably skaven and fyreslayers even then depending on the battleplay we could still be favoured.
  • Sadly, since I lost game 4, I didn't get to play against any Slannesh lists, I'm pretty sure I have at least an even matchup with them though just due to the fact that the list is ironically faster than most Slannesh lists.
  • Aetherquartz is still required, when it triggers it's gross.
  • The new Mighty Destroyers is beyond good, it does literally everything we could want it to.
  • 2 blocks of 10 ardboys really helps with the screening and objective holding. I'd take them over more GG's just based on the area they can cover, the extra 5 wounds and 6++ shield save. The +2 bravery from Bloodtoofs mitigates the threat of shooting causing models to flee.
  • Hulking Musclebound Brute is nice, not mandatory. I could see value in anything other than Bestial Charisma. Probably actually favouring Live to Fight or Brutish Cunning alongside HMB.

Overall the list is a ton of fun to play, has some real tactical decisions involved and runs positive matchups against a bunch of stuff you wouldn't expect. I'd say that given the current meta it's probably the best Anti-Meta list atm. (way better than "shooting")

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

34 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

@Malakree don’t self deprecate too much that is Aelf talk not Megaboss talk, you bossed it good an proppa, played the list well and took on what was in front of you. Great write up as usual really enjoyed hearing a more in-depth look at what happened! 

I felt it was essential in that case because it showed just how lopsided the matchup is. At a more casual glance it might seem like tyrants are a fair or even negative matchup which completely not the case.

Without some form of strikes first they get absolutely ruined.

Anyway it was a great weekend and I'm super pleased to get both my first 4-1 and first trophy 😁 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Malakree said:

With a ridiculous amount of skill, seriously it was art, and the double turn he managed to clean off my point and score twice on it with Karnak.

Thanks for the write ups Malakree, excellent and informative as always.

Can I ask you to expand on this part a little bit?  What was it that your opponent did that was so good?  Sounds like it could be a good learning point for everyone!

(I know Nick personally and can confirm he is an excellent player btw!  I'm looking forward to hearing his own Batreps on Dwellers).

Congrats on your first 4-1 and trophy!

Weirdfist going into Canadian city Bloodbath! unfortunatly i got lazy on painting more ardboys and weirnob, so i'm left with my first list idea. Looking into the list, i suspect i'm gonna take a lot of turn 1 and play aggressive as their is lots of shooting and fast list.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

• Like 5

I have a question regarding the value of brutes in lower points games vs ardboys and I hope you guys can help out.

Is it safe to assume that brutes aren't worth their points in 1000 pts games? My reasoning is that since at 1k pts games, battalions are too costly, brutes are then too slow to be effective, vs ardboys who have +2 charge. 

Should I always prioritise ardboys over brutes in matches where I don't have a battalion to speed them up? (I'm talking about Matched Play, not ME)

Edited by Jabbuk

12 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I have a question regarding the value of brutes in lower points games vs ardboys and I hope you guys can help out.

Is it safe to assume that brutes aren't worth their points in 1000 pts games? My reasoning is that since at 1k pts games, battalions are too costly, brutes are then too slow to be effective, vs ardboys who have +2 charge. 

Should I always prioritise ardboys over brutes in matches where I don't have a battalion to speed them up? (I'm talking about Matched Play, not ME)

Depends really. Yes Ardboyz are faster bc their charge bonus makes up distance, but they're typically just as slow when trudging across a table. And despite a numerical advantage, moving 10-20 bodies across a table can be a bit burdensome than just five. Also, Brutes provide a strong punch against elite units and heroes. You can typically depend that they'll krump those targets in a turn, whereas Ardboyz might have to grind it out in combat, which is their role anyway.  

I think in smaller games, small units of Ardboyz excel, but Brutes can still get the job done. I had a unit of 5 Brutes destroy a Slaanesh Chariot in one turn of combat after getting Mighty destroyer to give them a free movement. That command ability is huge for our faction in smaller games and should be used often. I honestly prefer it to the Megaboss WAAAGH! considering how unreliable it can be, especially in smaller games.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Depends really. Yes Ardboyz are faster bc their charge bonus makes up distance, but they're typically just as slow when trudging across a table. And despite a numerical advantage, moving 10-20 bodies across a table can be a bit burdensome than just five. Also, Brutes provide a strong punch against elite units and heroes. You can typically depend that they'll krump those targets in a turn, whereas Ardboyz might have to grind it out in combat, which is their role anyway.  

I think in smaller games, small units of Ardboyz excel, but Brutes can still get the job done. I had a unit of 5 Brutes destroy a Slaanesh Chariot in one turn of combat after getting Mighty destroyer to give them a free movement. That command ability is huge for our faction in smaller games and should be used often. I honestly prefer it to the Megaboss WAAAGH! considering how unreliable it can be, especially in smaller games.

Thanks a lot for your input, sir. I'll try them out then. I was trying to figure out which models to paint next :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kasper said:

@Malakree What is your equipment on the Ardboyz? Do you go full shield or 50/50 since its rare to get every model into base contact?

Some combination of Big Choppa and Shields. Currently I'm running 5+5 and 10 with two choppas, for model reasons rather than anything else. I normally designate "If it's part of the command squad it has Big Choppas, if it has a red shoulder and a shield it's a shield"

The reason for the 10 two choppas is because I don't have the 10 shields or enough command squad models to go 5+5. 

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, velocitydog said:

Hi all, back into AoS after a break.  What are everyone's thoughts on the new IJ spells in the 2019 GH (apologies if this has been covered in an earlier post).  Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork to move a unit close to an enemy unit + Ironfist move looks promising.

Hey man, welcome back. It has been covered previously but overall it's amazing. It gives IJ so much more options than simply run and charge. Opens up a lot of options. Teleport is amazing , Power of the Waaagh! Is also really good I think if you have a lot of bodies.

Hey all, have a 1k tourney coming up at my FLGS this weekend and have settled on taking my IJ. I was thinking of the following and was looking on some input on rounding the list out. 

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 2x Gore Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Total: 840 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 73

The tourney is being played on 4x4 tables, so that impacted some of my decisions. I went with 6 pigs over 20 ard boys, because on the smaller tables, and without an Ironfist, I felt the pigs superior movement would be more of an advantage. Also, without a cabbage, movement is severely lacking.  I do understand that a maw krusha would be a big boon in this format, but I wanted to give the footboss a go. 

Unsure of what artifacts/command traits to give my general. I was thinking of either thermal rider cloak on the footboss to help with the low movement. Or I could go with either the combo of etheral amulet/ironclad for the super tanky route, or I was thinking of live to fight/metalrippas claw for more reliable output from the boss. 

As far as additional points, I'm leaning towards a fungoid to help with a slight bit of magic/unbinding and CP generation, but not sure if 3 heroes is too much. As far as models go, pretty much everything is available, so any thoughts? 

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

20 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

Unsure of what artifacts/command traits to give my general. I was thinking of either thermal rider cloak on the footboss to help with the low movement. Or I could go with either the combo of etheral amulet/ironclad for the super tanky route, or I was thinking of live to fight/metalrippas claw for more reliable output from the boss. 

Aetherquartz is the go to at any and all levels for IJ. It's just to good.

20 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

As far as additional points, I'm leaning towards a fungoid to help with a slight bit of magic/unbinding and CP generation, but not sure if 3 heroes is too much. As far as models go, pretty much everything is available, so any thoughts? 

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Split Brutes into 2 blocks of 5, split the GG's into 2 blocks of 3. Add a fungoid (for 90) and buy your extra CP, your extra 20 points go for a Triumph.

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 90 / 200
Wounds: 77

As you're playing on 4x4 it's easier to setup a throw down having everything within 10" of the footboss if you do want to drop a Waaagh! Bomb, you also have the 6 units to take advantage of it if you still have everything alive.

Even if you can't Waaagh! bomb the CP generation from the Fungoid and Aetherquartz is still super important because of mighty destroyers, it's why IJ aren't garbage tier anymore. It gives us both mobility and threat potential, an example being that if your Footboss is tied down in combat with 2 dryads or something like that you can pop a Mighty Destroyers to kill them in your hero phase, then still be free to move him in the movement phase.

MSU Waaagh! bomb is still our premier tactic, just because of how vicious the Brute Boss becomes with even 2/3 extra attacks on his Klaw/Smasha.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:38 AM, Jabbuk said:

I think Brutes actually gain value in 1k games. You won't be able to waaagh as much, and they are much better when attacking in Hero Phase. Brutes does between 50%/100% more damage than ardboys (depending if you get reroll or not)

Edited by broche
  • Thanks 1

Two questions.  First, is the Ironfist move considered a Move or a Run?  If it's  run you can burn a command point to make it a 6 if you really need to (not saying this would ever be the best use of a command point, just wondering).  Second, The Hand of Gork spell says the unit can't move in the movement phase.  Can a unit that's been moved with the spell use its Ironfist move afterwards?

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, velocitydog said:

Two questions.  First, is the Ironfist move considered a Move or a Run?  If it's  run you can burn a command point to make it a 6 if you really need to (not saying this would ever be the best use of a command point, just wondering).  Second, The Hand of Gork spell says the unit can't move in the movement phase.  Can a unit that's been moved with the spell use its Ironfist move afterwards?

Thanks!

Ok so just checked the Errata.

Page 123 – Ironfist, ’Ere We Go! ’Ere We Go! ’Ere We Go!
Change to:
‘In your hero phase, if this battalion’s Big Boss is on the battlefield, roll a dice. Each unit from the same battalion can make a normal move of up to a number of inches equal to the roll (they cannot run or retreat).’

So yes it's a normal move, no it is not considered a run. No you cannot run with it.

The Hand of Gork spell, and other teleports, all say "you cannot move in the following movement phase". The Ironfist is not in the movement phase so ignores this.

@Malakree, thanks for the response and it makes sense what you said. I was running larger units for a lower drop count and to maximize the warchanter buffs, but being able to have a bit more flexibility with unit placement, threat saturation and applying buffs where best needed makes sense. Plus, it does also give me the Waaaagh! option with more consistency than the setup I originally had. 

Appreciated and will report back with how it went afterwards. 

Hi guys!

I sold my old BoC army yesterday and decided to go all in with the IJ with the money!

I ordered:
-1 Maw-Krusha
-2 SC boxes
-2 Brutes boxes
-1 Weirdnob Shaman
-1 Ardboyz boxes + 5 from a vendor for a total 40 Ardboyz counting the 2 SC boxes.

Did you think is a good starting point for 2k points?

I will be pleased if anybody can advise me about the best loadout in the different units of the army. Thank you!

Edited by Seihoff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seihoff said:

Hi guys!

I sold my old BoC army yesterday and decided to go all in with the IJ with the money!

I ordered:
-1 Maw-Krusha
-2 SC boxes
-2 Brutes boxes
-1 Weirdnob Shaman
-1 Ardboyz boxes + 5 from a vendor for a total 40 Ardboyz counting the 2 SC boxes.

Did you think is a good starting point for 2k points?

I will be pleased if anybody can advise me about the best loadout in the different units of the army. Thank you!

Ok so some tips on building which will hopefully delay you enough to allow the new Orruk Warclans book to come out, which will undoubtedly mess with all the best loadouts etc.

Build your 2 Warchanters, paint 1.
Build your Weirdnob and paint it.
Start to build your Mawkrusha. 

1. Once built the left wing/front of the arm on the cabbage can be slotted into place. It takes a bit of getting used to but saves you gluing it.
  2. Magnetize the right wing/front of army so that it can be taken off and put back together. This is a complete ****** to do.
  3. Drill holes in the bottom of each of the Megabosses feet and put magnets in them, it will really help.
  4. Before gluing the belly/underneath of the mawkrusha to the scales/top half place magnetise the cabbage-MB feet points.
  5. Place the Mega bosses feet into the points where it's supposed to glue. Then hold them there while turning the scales over so you can access the inside of the cabbage.
  6. Superglue the top of the magnet then use the magnetic force to correctly position underneath the megabosses feet on the other side of the scales.
  7. Glue a small magnet into the banner hole on the top of the Megabosses armour.
  8. Superglue the same size magnet onto the bottom of the banner.
  9. The next bit is the real ******. Get some corkboard, build up 3 layers of cork on the GW base so that you have a sizable platform for both feet and the fists/wings.
  10. Cut/Peel out all 3 layers on approximately the right size for your magnets where both feet and each of the fists rests on the top of the cork.
  11. Glue the Magnets into the bottom of the hole.
  12. Replace and glue the second layer of cork so that it sits ontop of the magnet and connects with the surrounding cork to form a more solid casing on the magnet.
  13. Align the cabbage so that it fits comfortably over the holes and covers them from sight. 
  14. Glue a magnet to each of the feet and fists so that the magnets comfortably rests in the hole and is hidden from sight.

You can now do build a cabbage which makes it considerably easier to transport, move around the board and makes it more resistant to breakages since if it's knocked it will come off at the magnetised point rather than actually breaking. Then paint the cabbage before choosing the MB weapons etc.

Hopefully that should take you long enough for the new book to be out and we can revisit this discussion!

I'll see if I can post up some pictures of mine tomorrow showing the various points.

• LOVE IT! 1