AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, broche said:

The list I'm gonna play at CCBB in 2 weeks. I wanted to go with Ironsunz at first, but i've decided to settle on Weirdfist Cog cause I liked the way it looked on my display board :). Picture to follow!

The game plan is to play mostly defensive, trying to maximize damage output from weirnob, and use the Krusha and 6 pig for special mission. It's not a waaagh army, it's more about mortal output. Try to cast Foot/Bolt/Puke from safe distance and grind opposing heros / tough units. Artefact are not 100% settle, i'm still thinking of taking the Etheral amulet.

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak 
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
Weirdfist (160)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145

Etheral+ironclad on the cabbage since you are in shyish anyway.

Personally I'd also want to grab a second weirdnob with hand of gork. To make your turn 1 look like this

1. WN 2 casts cogs at +2
  2. WN 1 casts Balewind.
  3. WN 1 maniuplates cogs.
  4. WN 1 casts foot of gork.
  5. WN 1 casts green puke.

I'd probably drop 5 brutes to 10 ardboys, drop the warchanter and add the second weirdnob. The extra 5 bodies helps ensure your +2 to cast/unbind and also just pads your weirdfist wounds/bodies. Then swap your brute weapons to 2h so they can attack over the ardboy line.

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Etheral+ironclad on the cabbage since you are in shyish anyway.

Personally I'd also want to grab a second weirdnob with hand of gork. To make your turn 1 look like this

1. WN 2 casts cogs at +2
  2. WN 1 casts Balewind.
  3. WN 1 maniuplates cogs.
  4. WN 1 casts foot of gork.
  5. WN 1 casts green puke.

I'd probably drop 5 brutes to 10 ardboys, drop the warchanter and add the second weirdnob. The extra 5 bodies helps ensure your +2 to cast/unbind and also just pads your weirdfist wounds/bodies. Then swap your brute weapons to 2h so they can attack over the ardboy line.

Yeah will probably end up with etheral and try to stay out of mortal range. Thinking about Ironclad as well, but i like the 6 mortal impact as it greatly increase your odd of triggering destructive bulk. My play is usually to cast the Cog with Fungoid (and mystic shield with the mushroom). I'll consider swapping the Chanter for second weirnob (with maybe power of da waaaagh for more mortal), not sure how you fit the balewind however.

Edited by broche

8 minutes ago, broche said:

Yeah will probably end up with etheral and try to stay out of mortal range. Thinking about Ironclad as well, but i like the 6 mortal impact as it greatly increase your odd of triggering destructive bulk. My play is usually to cast the Cog with Fungoid (and mystic shield with the mushroom). I'll consider swapping the Chanter for second weirnob (with maybe power of da waaaagh for more mortal), not sure how you fit the balewind however.

Sorry I just assumed you had the balewind in there as standard. It's pretty much mandatory in a weirdfist and with the ability to Hand of Gork him about the board while on the balewind it's just an auto include.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

The balewind is important for several reasons, obvious one is the extra cast, more important though is the 6" extra range. 

Foot is a standard 18" range. You would expect either a 3-3 or a 2/4 split between the range and +MW. Balewind means that on the +4 MW occasions you are still at 36" range on the foot, this is important because unbind range is 30". It's also really important for the Green Puke as it puts the +4 MW to 18+2d6" or an average of 25 that lets you nuke a massive portion of the opponents army with d3+4 mortal wounds.

Lastly ofc you get the +1 save, add in a +1 from cover and the RR from Cogs suddenly that weirdnob is at 3+ rerolling on his save.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

The balewind is important for several reasons, obvious one is the extra cast, more important though is the 6" extra range. 

I'll think about it. I could probably borrow the model I think. I like the raw power of the balewind with the cog (especially if you cast bolt + puke + foot). I like less the limitation. 

I usually cast cog from behind at put it as far as I can upfield, and move the weirnob upfield as well as far as possible. It allow the Weirnob to linger around 12-15'' of my zone, so i can realisticly keep 2-3 units close by. I guess you can always dispel the balewind and cast it again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, broche said:

I'll think about it. I could probably borrow the model I think. I like the raw power of the balewind with the cog (especially if you cast bolt + puke + foot). I like less the limitation. 

I usually cast cog from behind at put it as far as I can upfield, and move the weirnob upfield as well as far as possible. It allow the Weirnob to linger around 12-15'' of my zone, so i can realisticly keep 2-3 units close by. I guess you can always dispel the balewind and cast it again.

Hand of Gork lets you teleport while on a balewind and keep the balewind.

28 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

My actual favourite thing in the game right now.

It's so ridiculous and makes no sense from a rules perspective. 

Honestly I have no idea how that got through the basic english check I'll never know. Drives me up the damn wall over it.

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Hand of Gork lets you teleport while on a balewind and keep the balewind.

I'm not sure how that's effective gamewise. At the end of the day, the Weirnob need to stay within 10 of other units in the bataillon  (ideally screened behind something , and have 20 orruk nearby). 

There is 2 approach to the weirdfist: either you move upfield to threathen opposing back row, or you turtle the Weirnob in your own zone. In any case if he is one balewind he should have enough range to hit most of the game board. I would rather teleport something else.

2 hours ago, broche said:

I'm not sure how that's effective gamewise. At the end of the day, the Weirnob need to stay within 10 of other units in the bataillon  (ideally screened behind something , and have 20 orruk nearby). 

There is 2 approach to the weirdfist: either you move upfield to threathen opposing back row, or you turtle the Weirnob in your own zone. In any case if he is one balewind he should have enough range to hit most of the game board. I would rather teleport something else.

The idea behind the defensive weirdfist is to turtle up then nuke from the bunker, being able to HoG while on the balewind means that you can move the bunker. This is incredibly important for getting to arcane outside your territory and/or being able to turtle up turn 1 and move towards an objective.

Essentially HoG lets you play both aspects at the same time with no issues.

1 hour ago, whiskeytango said:

This has probably been discussed already, but what is the interaction between Smashing and Bashing the The Locus of Diversion? 

Smashing and bashing allows you to activate another unit immediately  after a Ironjaws units has destroyed something, meaning the locus of Diversion will be ignored in sich a case

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Morning ladies and gents,

Just wanted to check a few things from the more experienced players.

1. I'm guessing with the new Orruk tome we're not getting mashed in with them? So I'm not buying an army that's dead by the end of the year.

2. Is there anything in the army that's really lacklustre and should be avoided?

3. Is 2/3 SC boxes still the best way to get bashin dem humies?

4 minutes ago, j0lt said:

Morning ladies and gents,

Just wanted to check a few things from the more experienced players.

1. I'm guessing with the new Orruk tome we're not getting mashed in with them? So I'm not buying an army that's dead by the end of the year.

2. Is there anything in the army that's really lacklustre and should be avoided?

3. Is 2/3 SC boxes still the best way to get bashin dem humies?

Orruk warclans will have 3 allegiances.

Ironjawz, bonesplitterz and a combined force.

Atm everything is pretty solid. Really depends on your specific build more than anything. Personally I'm finding the warchanter to be a bit to hard to fit in now...

2 SC is the base of every IJ army. That said I'd wait for the new book since it might change drastically with the warscroll updates. Additionally there is going to be a free cities vs orruk warclans box so we need to see what's in that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Orruk warclans will have 3 allegiances.

Ironjawz, bonesplitterz and a combined force.

Atm everything is pretty solid. Really depends on your specific build more than anything. Personally I'm finding the warchanter to be a bit to hard to fit in now...

2 SC is the base of every IJ army. That said I'd wait for the new book since it might change drastically with the warscroll updates. Additionally there is going to be a free cities vs orruk warclans box so we need to see what's in that.

Better hang fire for train to value town then, I hope IJ don't lose too much of their Orruk individuality for the sake of dem weaker boyz

29 minutes ago, j0lt said:

Better hang fire for train to value town then, I hope IJ don't lose too much of their Orruk individuality for the sake of dem weaker boyz

They won't. 

If you're a pure ironjawz or bonesplitterz player then the best way to view the book is a warscroll update.

Its only if you want to run both together the the book is going to be game changing.

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

Is this confirmed!? If that being the case there should be a new hero in there. 

It's a giant cash cow they would be stupid not to cash in on. It's perfectly in line with the current marketing strats.

Release 2 updates together and give them a vs. Exception is gitz vs sylvaneth but I suspect it was supposed to be the first box and sylvaneth took way more time than they thought.

Yes it was and was great to meet and cheer on Megaboss @Malakree 💚 There was a lot of camaraderie all weekend especially @Chris Tomlin Basically going around and telling all opponents of ironjawz he hoped they lost (in a nice way 😂

3-2 for me (basically the only thing I ever do with ironjawz) BUT for the first time only the game against Slaanesh did I get battered and my game 5 was winnable just couldn’t get the breaks (one day I will get the 4-1!) 

great weekend and while it’s always fun to play ironjawz it felt great to have the scales tipped back in our favour a little! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Was that you taking names at Blackout @Malakree?  Congratulations if so!

I'll see if I can give a run down when I get back. Really wanted to play slannesh at the weekend but buggering my game 4 meant I pulled a poor wanderers player instead who was essentially helpless against me.

Was really great to finally meet @Chris Tomlin And @Sangfroid. Was a little bit starstruck if I'm honest 😉😁

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I'll see if I can give a run down when I get back. Really wanted to play slannesh at the weekend but buggering my game 4 meant I pulled a poor wanderers player instead who was essentially helpless against me.

Was really great to finally meet @Chris Tomlin And @Sangfroid. Was a little bit starstruck if I'm honest 😉😁

Ha! Truthfully you were the star, not just for Ironjawz but Destruction full stop. It was nice to meet you too. I mentioned the camaraderie of Ironjawz players before the event and this was a great example. Me and Kieran were following your performances with a keen interest and both loved seeing you do so well, so congrats again man. When I’m running events and not playing I always like to live vicariously through others (usually Kieran) so it was nice to have another conduit to give me a buzz for Ironjawz. Also, I’m super jealous you’re going to the Rising Sun GT. I wanna play in that so much. 

Anyway, I had a good think about it in the car on the way back and decided that once the new book drops I’m gonna start a new thread like I had before and post regular updates after games etc. I’m so excited to return to the army that became my first (and truest) love in AoS! Also, it’ll be nice to converse with all of you on this forum again. The Destruction boys here were always a great bunch. 

Chris x 💚

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ha! Truthfully you were the star, not just for Ironjawz but Destruction full stop. It was nice to meet you too. I mentioned the camaraderie of Ironjawz players before the event and this was a great example. Me and Kieran were following your performances with a keen interest and both loved seeing you do so well, so congrats again man. When I’m running events and not playing I always like to live vicariously through others (usually Kieran) so it was nice to have another conduit to give me a buzz for Ironjawz. Also, I’m super jealous you’re going to the Rising Sun GT. I wanna play in that so much. 

Aye it was also great seeing how Kieran was doing and such a great event in general. When I was getting back into warhammer after 10 years you two were the big players who really brought the forum alive and made it feel like a community.

I'm also stoked about the Rising Sun GT. I need to make a list to see if I can get a tournament on every continent in the next few years 😁 I imagine Africa and South America might be a bit tricky 🤔

It'll be great to have you both back smashing and bashing. 

WAAAGH!

• Like 3

@Malakree I’d imagine you could find one in either South Africa or Egypt, Argentina or Brazil would be the best bet for South America but there probably few and far between down there, the other continents should be easy, NA or Canada , Australia or NZ, Japan or Russia, and you’ve done Europe already