AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Malakree, easy answer: Cablitz! :P I don't really play enough to advise otherwise. I mean, we've already had one cabbage, what about second cabbage?!?!?!

Krall, killer list. I would drop the 2nd shaman and bring the 2nd ardboyz unit up to 20! Two units of 20 boyz is a lot for your opponent to deal with from what I gather. And let's be honest, our weirdnob ain't the best(yet, maybe new tome will give more versatile spells!)

Jabbuk, I think you'd have fun either option. The shaman to teleport your ardboyz as a wall might be more tactful I think, but what megaboss doesn't want a good Warchanter enciting frenzy in their WAAAGH?!

• Thanks 1

Also I had a question on something that's been bugging me for so long: which warscroll do we use for the dang Baleful Realmgate?

The one on the website is different from the one on the app. I've read comments here saying you don't even use a warscroll for it, but the GHB 2019 says "if a warscroll is available for a terrain feature, you must use the rules on the warscroll instead of rolling on the Scenery table." So it has a warscroll! It just has two versions and I have no idea which to use. 

I'm sure I'm easily overlooking something here. 

1 hour ago, Dingar said:

Malakree, easy answer: Cablitz! :P I don't really play enough to advise otherwise. I mean, we've already had one cabbage, what about second cabbage?!?!?!

Sadly it's a bit to late and I went with a bog standard ironsunz.

Wanted to test out a stable oldie with the new rules.

1 hour ago, Dingar said:

Also I had a question on something that's been bugging me for so long: which warscroll do we use for the dang Baleful Realmgate?

It's the one with the latest publication date.

So the one in the core rule book.

• Thanks 1

Are Greenskinz Orrucks worth using in Ironjawz? I was thinking of using two blobs of 10 (80pts) to sit on objectives, but I wonder if bigger blobs would be useful. Maybe Megabosses will have their waaghs affect Orrucks given the new soup tome. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (420)
- General
- Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Golden Toof 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Spell: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (280)
- 10x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 10x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1480 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

Today I brought this list to a local Games Workshop store tournament. A total of 4 of us played at 1,500 points. I came in second, but two people tied exactly for first. I won my first game 8 to 7 victory points, lost my second game 9 to 8 victory points and lost my 3rd game 19 to 16 victory points. I'll just point out some general observations. 

The first round was in the realm of Aqshy and we rolled that if you move 6+ inches as a flyer you take D3 mortal wounds. It was on the battleplan called The Better Part of Valor. This was the game I won. 

- I was able to cast exactly 1 spell the entire game, which was the first round where I was able to get off the Hand of Gork to move my 20 boys to the opposite side of the field exactly center and clog up his Celestar Ballista, Lord Relictor, some normal Liberators and some guy on a small Dragon. 

- Brutes took forever to catch up and ended up splitting off to deal with objective grabbing on my far left and far right, killing a hero for one and just moving to camp another. 

- The Ardboyz in the middle of his field ended up eventually wearing down all of those units and taking the objective. 

- Maw-Krusha didn't die, but seems to kind of whiff a lot or maybe my rolls were poor

- I never got off a Waagh because everyone was so spread out there was little point, so most of my CP went into Mighty Destroyers movement or fighting. 

The second battle round was in Shyish, we rolled a 1 so nothing happened. It was on the map called Duality of Death. 

- Once again I got one spell off the entire game, first round I got my Ardboyz onto the far right point as I had deployed every single thing in a group on the far left. 

- My Ardboyz held for 2 turns but his massive stardrake, mortal wounds from eating/shooting/other stuff hurt them really badly and I took no shields (i don't know if shields even help for these kinds of things?) 

- I gambled to move my maw-krusha (who was on the far left objective first) to break the cumulative bonus in order to send him and a unit of Brutes far right

- I was able to kill everything except for 3 of his liberators who had camped that objective since round 2 and since I broke cumulative stacking I ended up losing by 1 point

- I felt if I didn't go on the offensive and turtled he would be able to weather me with his Stardrake and mortal wounds and defeat my 2 units of brutes and Maw-Krusha. 

The third and final game was on a map called Focal Points, once again on Shyish. We rolled everyone gets +1 to bravery. 

- My 10 brutes and Maw-Krusha got deleted because he was playing trolls and they just do Mortal Wounds "because" between the throwing rocks, just being within 1 inch of his general at the start of the combat phase, spells and other sources. He killed my Maw-Krusha through sheer mortal wound spam and his Trolls killed all of my heroes by throwing rocks and wiped my brutes out in 1 combat each by normal attacking and also throwing rocks. 

- By end of round 2 all my offense was dead so 20 ardboyz camped an objective and 2 heroes camped another and a third went for the third but I could not control center because I had no way to kill 5 Troggoths.

- I waited it out and just tried to keep my objectives but there was nothing I could do to stop him constantly spamming auto run 6 and throwing mortal wounds at me then walking up to me and charging after 3 turns (we played all 5 rounds).

Final thoughts:

- I had less bodies than needed for bonuses so my spellcasting was trash, out of all 3 games I got 3 total spells off. 

- I never knew how to deploy and I only got 1 Waaagh! off the entire tournament because my forces constantly had to spread out to put out fires and hold objectives. I just didn't have the bodies or people I needed to stand on things to hold them. 

- Ironclad + Ethereal is fine, but I believe next time I'll try to make my Maw-Krusha just a murderer. If there's nothing I can do about Mortal Wounds then rend doesn't matter. I'll probably go for Live to Fight for re-rolling wounds when I charge and the Metal Klaw for -3 rend on his Choppa giving him 4 3/3/-3/2 on his Choppa plus the rest of his profile.

- Overall I did better than I thought but I believe I'm going to change my strategy for next time. 

The next Tournament will be 1,750 points so I will be bringing this list:

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Live to Fight 
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak 

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- 10x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 10x Big Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 1750 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 112

This list has more units/bodies for the sake of Waaaagh! I also have more speed and some extra units to play the objective game although I lose 10 Ardboyz. I believe this time my strategy will be a bit different. 

- Instead of Teleporting a 20 strong block of Ardboyz I can get them 8" + 1d6" of Movement so between 9 and 14 inches plus a +4 bonus to charge rolls. 

- Almost all maps the seperation between my territory and enemy territory is 18'', so if I start them at the front of the line I can reasonably get a turn 1 charge off

- Teleport brutes into position on the flanks and/or sides

- Gore-Gruntas and also the Maw-Krusha are innately fast

- Due to this speed if I do everything properly most things should make it into combat and make my Waaagh! easier and more reliable. 

- My Maw-Krusha will be built for murdering because being hard to kill but whiffing a lot felt bad, and also mortal wounds just murder him anyway so being killier might help. 

- More flexibility with 5 units 

- This list feels better at least on paper and I have more speed and more people to react to objectives and more bodies to hold places split up 

- I have 4 command points instead of 2 on turn 1 which I can bank and also accumulate more easily for Waagh and Mighty Destroyers (and other stuff ;P)

- Da Jump (Hand o' Gork) is useful, but the re-rolling wounds spell is very tempting.... brutes are slow though so doing the reverse of jumping Brutes and walking (moderately) quicker 'Ardboyz may be better for me

- I found myself often with JUST Ardboyz and maw-krusha in combat with the foot heroes and brutes lagging or too spread out to make use of waagh so I am hoping jumping brutes, walking pigs and krusha and using Ardboyz and Ironfist and massive charge bonuses help alleviate this somewhat

- Still not sure how reliable or useful spell casting is post turn 1 when more than likely the +1 or +2 bonus will just be missing due to everyone automatically outrunning the shaman 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

Sadly it's a bit to late and I went with a bog standard ironsunz.

Wanted to test out a stable oldie with the new rules.

It's the one with the latest publication date.

So the one in the core rule book.

How did it go man? I'm sorry I didn't answer your question before, about which army composition. I just thought I didn't have enough mileage to suggest a good answer.

2 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

How did it go man? I'm sorry I didn't answer your question before, about which army composition. I just thought I didn't have enough mileage to suggest a good answer.

So I missed the first game for reasons. Game 2 I alphastrike and crippled a seraphon.

Game 3 I faced FEC and alpha his ghoul king and archregent before they could summon. Sadly I failed the HoG so I had 30 ardboys get screamed to death. Made some mistakes and lost some key rolls which might have swung it.

Game 4 I alphastrike and crippled a tzeentch, he got the double and brought it back with mw output but I returned the double and took the game.

Game 5 I should have just gone ham and alpha strike a LoSac but I didn't and ended up getting ground down. If I had won the priority roll turn 2 and forced him to go I could have then doubled him 2-3. I made a ton of mistakes and the ethereal dragon did what it does.

Overall I would have preferred bloodtoofs basically every game. Only questionable one is game 3 where I should have manned up and gone balls deep against his terrorgheist  turn 2 with a -2 to hit on the cabbage.

With ironsunz you take first turn and alpha as hard as you can. Drop the fungoid and take the extra cp. Drop the ardboys to 20 and take a 10 brute block. Go in and don't mess about, you win or lose turn 1.

• Like 1

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- Boss Gore-hacka and Scrap-tooth
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (340)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 114

No ****** about. 4cps turn 1 with potential for a 5th.

Drop cogs, teleport a unit of brutes. Mighty destroyers across the board and hope for a good ironfist/charge.

Average movement is 15" on the brutes with 2d6+4 to charge.

2cps to push the brutes forward. At least 2 waaagh! maybe more and some charge rerolls if the aetherquartz/fungoid do their thing.

Could also say ****** that random fungoid and take a second weirdnob for the +2 on cogs.

Edited by Malakree

On 7/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, Malakree said:

Yep totally legal.

There's also some dodgy stuff with the Ardfist where you can summon them in any phase at any time now. So you can use that to get around the can't move or Warchanter potentially dying. You can also summon them on, hand of gork, mighty destroyers them :D 

Oof!  Good shout.  Check the FAQ for anyone not aware (like I wasn't)...they made it once per game (fair enough), but in so doing, removed the requirement for the resurrection to be done in your Hero phase.

Yep, some pretty gamey applications of that spring to mind :D

6 hours ago, Krallkontir said:

That looks like a pretty bruising operation grill type of list. Dropping the fungoid and taking the weirdnob also lets you take advantage of all three artifact slots. 

Do you ever consider realms other than Hysh or is the Broach just that good?

Broach is just that good for me.

Twice over the weekend I traded 1 cp for 4 waaagh! Which then went to 5 and 6.

So now that the Orruk Warclans battletome hype as somewhat settled. I'm going to Blackout in 2 weeks.

After the recent tournament I find myself at somewhat of a 🤢🤮 over running the Ironsunz with a bog standard 30 Ardboys. It's honestly just an alphastrike lite and I wasn't enamoured by it, especially with having to roll a billion attacks for the Ardboys for ****** all effect. I'd also often be reliant on getting the Brutes in turn 1 which was tricky as hell.As a result I've decided to stop messing around and am going to go back to my "at least 2 cabbages" rule for some extra hilarity. So I'm now looking at the following lists.

Dis Be Da Great Waaagh! 

Spoiler

Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)
- General
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Bloodtoofs (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

I think I'm favouring this as my preferred option. It makes use of the Gordrakk in a Megabattalion which I've been waiting over a year for. It's also simple and clean with no messing about, throw down Voice of Gork for 3d6+2 charge on everything. Maybe pop a Mighty Destroyer to push something up the board, hope for the Aetherquartz to do it's thing then smash it's down to good ol' Smashing and Bashing the enemies face in.

One of the big advantages I see here is that both cabbages have a very solid chance of hopping over the enemies lines and getting into things they're trying to protect. With Hulking Muscle-bound Brutes that's a lot of potential to destructive bulk some low wound characters or 5 man units.

Leaders
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 
- Spell: Bash Em Ladz

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (170)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Ironsunz (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000

The Cabblitz I mentioned previously. Aims at catapulting a damn tanky Cabbage across the board in order to stall your opponent while the rest of your army positions for a Waaagh! bomb which includes Bash Em Ladz for true horror. Honestly I'm thinking I prefer the Gordrakk version...

Gordrakk and Co.

Spoiler

Leaders
- Artefact: Aetherquartz
- General
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Voice of Gork + Mighty destroyers to put 3 cabbages in your opponents face and say deal with it. This is the Gordrakk Version.

Leaders
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Broach
- General
- Artefact: Guardian's Coronet

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)

Battalions
A Battalion (160)

Total: 1890 / 2000

Same thing but with an extra command point to ensure that all the Cabbages will make it across the board. 24" of move is basically map-wide threat range. The battalion could be anything really with some unit swaps/additions using the 110 points float, even a Brutefist fits. Only thing which doesn't is a weirdfist and...why would you with 3 units.

Only issue is it means painting up a 3rd cabbage in 2 weeks and I'm not sure I'll manage it.

Weirdcabbage

Spoiler

Leaders

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Weirdfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)

An old classic for a new age. Due to GW's all knowing wisdom we now have the ability to Hand of Gork the weirdnob on a Balewind around the board, allowing you to reposition your fricking weirdfist mid battle....

Because someone looked at the phrases "Remove that unit from the battlefield" and "As long as this unit remains on the battlefield" then went, yeah these totally don't conflict with each other so ofc a Skaven wizard can skitterleap while on a balewind. Which now means we can all be removed from the battlefield while remaining on the battlefield!

Artefacts are very much flexible as is the command trait. I can see 5/6 good choices here.

I put each of them in Spoilers otherwise the post would be a massive space hog while scrolling.

So thoughts and opinions? As I said before I think the first one might be my favourite but after thought the chance to abuse GW's ridiculous FAQ makes me want to play the weirdcabbage a bit despite having played it for about six months and it being so random. Honestly I think the Mighty Destroyer change might be the most important one for this list because I almost never Waaagh! with it. 

• LOVE IT! 1

I would just run the very first list if it were me. I guess it's because it's like Blood Bowl to me. The less reliant you are on multiple things working the better. 

This whole Hand of Gork gimmick sounds nice, but then you realize in an entire tournament you get 3 spells off out of 3 whole games each going at least into 4 rounds. 

The less RNG your battle plan needs the better. Using 100% guaranteed givens like Command Points and Command Abilities and being consistent I feel is the key. Consistently being able to get where you need to be without relying on teleports and magic (which can be countered, or just fail), consistent abilities like Waagh 1 CP 1 Attack ez, and consistently being able to hit and wound (that's why I favor Warchanters for +1 to hit). 

Things that appeal to me are the spell that allows re-rolling wounds, but again that's 2 parts (1 part the spell has to work, 2 parts it doesn't get countered, and really 3 parts the unit you want is near the caster to begin with), the warlord trait that allows re-rolling wounds on charging, Warchanter +1 to hit, the 1 CP strategem that allows re-rolling hit rolls of 1 during the combat phase, and other things that guaranteed work, or if they don't they at least provide consistency. 

Nothing worse than getting all of your Maw-Krusha attacks through....then rolling like garbage and only like 2 wounds go through and of course they make their saves. 

Re-rolling Hits, Making Hits better, Better more reliable charges, re-rolling wounds when possible, and guaranteed things like spend a CP an effect goes off for sure are what I like. 

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I would just run the very first list if it were me. I guess it's because it's like Blood Bowl to me. The less reliant you are on multiple things working the better. 

This whole Hand of Gork gimmick sounds nice, but then you realize in an entire tournament you get 3 spells off out of 3 whole games each going at least into 4 rounds. 

The less RNG your battle plan needs the better. Using 100% guaranteed givens like Command Points and Command Abilities and being consistent I feel is the key. Consistently being able to get where you need to be without relying on teleports and magic (which can be countered, or just fail), consistent abilities like Waagh 1 CP 1 Attack ez, and consistently being able to hit and wound (that's why I favor Warchanters for +1 to hit). 

Things that appeal to me are the spell that allows re-rolling wounds, but again that's 2 parts (1 part the spell has to work, 2 parts it doesn't get countered, and really 3 parts the unit you want is near the caster to begin with), the warlord trait that allows re-rolling wounds on charging, Warchanter +1 to hit, the 1 CP strategem that allows re-rolling hit rolls of 1 during the combat phase, and other things that guaranteed work, or if they don't they at least provide consistency. 

Nothing worse than getting all of your Maw-Krusha attacks through....then rolling like garbage and only like 2 wounds go through and of course they make their saves. 

Re-rolling Hits, Making Hits better, Better more reliable charges, re-rolling wounds when possible, and guaranteed things like spend a CP an effect goes off for sure are what I like. 

I'm definately leaning towards the gordrakk list myself (assume that's what you're talking about, after a bit of thought.

The RRwounds being on the boss weapons only makes it less appealing to me. I'd be tempted to go for prophet of the waaagh! but as I'm going all in on the bloodtoofs voice of Gork if I can start chaining it I'll have a massive reach into the backline and to dodge those 3" tie downs. Given that every charge is 3d6+2 for that turn the hulking musclebound brute should hopefully allow more jumps.

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

I think I'm favouring this as my preferred option. It makes use of the Gordrakk in a Megabattalion which I've been waiting over a year for. It's also simple and clean with no messing about, throw down Voice of Gork for 3d6+2 charge on everything. Maybe pop a Mighty Destroyer to push something up the board, hope for the Aetherquartz to do it's thing then smash it's down to good ol' Smashing and Bashing the enemies face in.

This one, but with ironsunz over bloodtooth

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

I'm definately leaning towards the gordrakk list myself

Yes that's the one I mean. IIRC it was the very first list presented. IMO the others are too gimmicky. Especially the weirdfist one. It's like what if your magic just never works? Does it hinge on magic? Did you get your points worth? Also 3 Maw-Krushas just feels gimmicky and take it from me, having low unit counts makes it VERY hard to play the objective game. 

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, broche said:

This one, but with ironsunz over bloodtootNa 

Na, because it's pure alabaster getting my units into combat is way more important than a -1 to hit. Especially since so much damage now is magic rather than traditional damage. 

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Yes that's the one I mean. IIRC it was the very first list presented. IMO the others are too gimmicky. Especially the weirdfist one. It's like what if your magic just never works? Does it hinge on magic? Did you get your points worth? Also 3 Maw-Krushas just feels gimmicky and take it from me, having low unit counts makes it VERY hard to play the objective game. 

The weirdfist is actually what I took to Sheffield slaughter and placed 25/80 with as top destro. It is random but it wins the game if it goes off. There's a ton of hidden power in it aswell, the greenpuke has decimated armies for me while even a casual arcane bolt is averaging 4mortals. The cabbage bros then run around smashing stuff up. I really recommend trying it if you havent, it's a laugh and as I said gork occasionally just wins the game.

39 minutes ago, albin100 said:

@Malakree I really like the Gordrak list, go for that one!

Yep, it seems a pretty solid consensus to me which backs up my own feelings. Time to call down the voice of gork and smash some nerds with his fist!

• Like 1

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I like the Weird Cabbage myself.  I'd been thinking about what that list could look like in this brave new world.

I totally get why you would finally want to run Gordrakk in a one-drop (I did it myself almost a year ago at a 2500 point event).  So maybe once you've scratched that itch you could give the Weird Cabbage a run out?

I drew up a similar list myself, but with Bash Em Lads on the second Weirdnob.  The rationale being that if you are keeping multiple units in range of the main Weirdnob, you should also be able to keep some of those units in range of Bash Em Lads.  And if the main Weirdnob gets sniped, the secondary Weirdnob can jump up on the BWV and extend the range for that spell.

9 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I like the Weird Cabbage myself.  I'd been thinking about what that list could look like in this brave new world.

I totally get why you would finally want to run Gordrakk in a one-drop (I did it myself almost a year ago at a 2500 point event).  So maybe once you've scratched that itch you could give the Weird Cabbage a run out?

I drew up a similar list myself, but with Bash Em Lads on the second Weirdnob.  The rationale being that if you are keeping multiple units in range of the main Weirdnob, you should also be able to keep some of those units in range of Bash Em Lads.  And if the main Weirdnob gets sniped, the secondary Weirdnob can jump up on the BWV and extend the range for that spell.

I thought about that but the thing is you want to be able to cast balewind, then cast foot or green puke turn 1. You then want to be casting Foot and Green Puke everyturn afterwards, using the second shaman for HoG to move your weirdnob around for maximum Green Puke effectiveness.